MERGED-->What do you all think about Stateless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
It's so rare that U2 fan says they dont like a U2 song, it's it? Sometimes I dont even know why I ask what people think of U2 songs/albums or whatever. Everyone is just going to say that they love it.

I love Stateless. It kind of reminds me of the atmospheric sounds of the UF taken up a notch. Wish it was on ATYCLB along with TGBHF.

If you are looking for a current U2 tune I don't care for, albeit a cover, it's got to be Beat On The Brat. I think this might be my least favorite U2 cover ever. Sure the band sounds similiar to the Ramones, but Bono's voice is such a mismatch for that tune IMO. He sounds like he is trying to croon a Sinatra song or something! :no: To be fair though, nobody could probably do that song justice except Joey. I wish they did I Remember You on the tribute record instead. That is a great cover & they made the song their own. I can't bitch to much about it though, it was a nice gesture to the Ramones.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
It's so rare that U2 fan says they dont like a U2 song, it's it? Sometimes I dont even know why I ask what people think of U2 songs/albums or whatever. Everyone is just going to say that they love it.

If I were to pick my least favorite U2 song, "Some Days Are Better Than Others" would be it. I'm not fond of that one...just can't get into it much at all.

Angela

I quite dislike Big Girls Are Best.

Big Girls Are Best is worst.

When I first played the MDH soundtrack, Stateless blew me away. Eno and Lanois were back and i thought that the track was an excellent teaser for the forthcoming album. If only the rest of ATYCLB could have been as edgy (excuse the pun) as Stateless.

I?m surprised that Stateless is not getting many votes in the ?Favorite ATYCLB B-Side? thread. Though as I have already stated there that the thread ought to have been correctly titled as ?Favorite Song From The ATYCLB Recording Sessions? Bono did reveal in an interview regarding the release of The Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack that Stateless and The Ground Beneath Her Feet were intended for ATYCLB but the band felt that the album already had too many ballads.

It's already been three years since the MDH album (hard to believe!), but I remember my excitement over having Eno and Lanois back in the fold and how both Stateless and TGBHF really knocked me out. If they were a taste of the sort of music U2 was coming up with, I thought, then the next album would be a classic. ATYCLB arrived later that year and, as it turned out, was indeed pretty strong; but it didn't follow the course of MDH -- it was unquestionably more conventional. There's just no convincing some folks, but I insist that the MDH songs are richer than the bulk of the ATYCLB songs -- they have this sort of grave beauty that the later songs generally lacked.

Stateless, in particular, is a wonderul track -- one of those under-appreciated songs (like Promenade or Walk to the Water) that you feel you always have to stick up for. A nice, sultry ballad in the vein of Blue Room or Velvet Dress.

I like this song so much, in fact, I think I'm going to take it out for a drink.

Last edited:
I'll second your motion ! in that Stateless has a great vibe to it and it shares a similiarity to songs like Promenade - Walk To The Water - Blue Room - and Velvet Dress. If Stateless made it to ATYCLB I think musically and particularly lyrically it would of wonderfully fit in between Peace On Earth & When I Look At The World

As I travel more than is probably healthy and actually have no home of which to speak of at the moment I relate to this song on a number of levels.

It's just gravity, luck and time.

Back
Top Bottom