MERGED-->What a bunch of phonies (U2 on TOTP)+U2 not playing live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_Muse said:

The hat is ugly, but at least it's partially hiding his truly hideous hair of late. :ohmy:

I disagree. I think his hair has finally grown out nicely. There was that awkward growing out phase where at times, he'd have strands sticking up. But now it looks pretty neat. I'd rather see that than this ridiculous hat.

The irony is that the straw hat probably costs $100, but it looks like he got it in some souvenir gift shop for $2. I really hate it and I hope he loses it for the tour. If he wants to wear a cowboy hat again, then go back to a REAL cowboy hat. Straw hats? :yuck: :no:

U2 not playing live????

Sorry to say this, but I hate it when the best band in the world doesn't play live !!!

It's OK that Britney and al those other boy and girl bands don't play live (cause they can't and I never listen to it anyway) but I expectyed a little more of this 'men band'

Don't know who made this decision, but it was a bad one!

It's TOTP policy, by the sounds of it. U2 didn't have a choice. Everything else was live, though.

how many of these posts are there going to be? u2 couldnt play their instruments live, no one ever does on Top of the Pops. It's THEIR RULES, It's not like paul mcguiness told them not to. When they air their footage from CD:UK's performance, I'll bet anyone the band is in live form.

Re: U2 not playing live????

phommel said:
Sorry to say this, but I hate it when the best band in the world doesn't play live !!!

It's OK that Britney and al those other boy and girl bands don't play live (cause they can't and I never listen to it anyway) but I expectyed a little more of this 'men band'

Don't know who made this decision, but it was a bad one!

are you referring to TOTP?
dont know whether its a rule that still stands but i do know that at one point bands or artists that appeared on TOTP were NOT allowed to perfom live and HAD to lipsync, no choice of their own. it was either that or dont appear on the most widly watched music television show in the UK.

Didn't know that it is TOTP policy. Then they should change their policy, haha. In other countries you are allowed to play live in TOTP.

I thought U2 were so big that they can DEMAND a live performance !!!

should just close this thread.

Why? Because you don't agree with the subject? Isn't this forum for discussing different points of view? So anything critical about the band should be censored?

Uhm...I was there (both inside and outside the studio) and Bono definitely sang live. I haven't read this whole thread (I'm at an internetcafe at the moment), but I had the night of my life! Got to see them upfront, got an autograph, shook Bono's hand and got to hear the songs... I'll write my whole story in the next couple of days when I get back to Amsterdam.

So far we have established two things:

-Only the vocal was live while the other instruments were pre-recorded.

-It is TOTP policy that instruments not be played live.

U2 knew this was TOTP policy. After all, they did a similar thing with ATYCLB in their rooftop BD escapade. Why U2 would support such a policy is beyond me. U2 is known to be a great live band. They did the greatest Superbowl halftime performance by actually playing live, to separate themselves from previous Superbowl acts who lipsynched.

Perhaps U2 have lost some self-belief and self-confidence. They feel that they need to tap into the TOTP market to make their record sell, even if it means sacrificing their artistic integrity as a live band. If this were a confident U2 back in their heydey, they wouldn't need TOTP and they would feel bigger than TOTP and would not waste time looking stupid and "pretending" to play instruments.

When you start comparing yourself to hacks like Coldplay (can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G), The Killers (derivative), or Franz Ferdinand (zero talent) then it means you have self-doubt. When you feel that you have to sacrifice artistic integrity and do the lame TOTP pretensions just to promote your record, then you are desperate. And when you make an album that critics say explores the terrain and soundscapes of your previous albums, then in Bono's own words "you glorify the past when the future dries up." I honestly don't think U2's future has already dried up, but my thoughts don't matter as U2 seems to think otherwise.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

U2 knew this was TOTP policy. After all, they did a similar thing with ATYCLB in their rooftop BD escapade. Why U2 would support such a policy is beyond me. U2 is known to be a great live band. They did the greatest Superbowl halftime performance by actually playing live, to separate themselves from previous Superbowl acts who lipsynched.

Perhaps U2 have lost some self-belief and self-confidence. They feel that they need to tap into the TOTP market to make their record sell, even if it means sacrificing their artistic integrity as a live band. If this were a confident U2 back in their heydey, they wouldn't need TOTP and they would feel bigger than TOTP and would not waste time looking stupid and "pretending" to play instruments.

When you start comparing yourself to hacks like Coldplay (can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G), The Killers (derivative), or Franz Ferdinand (zero talent) then it means you have self-doubt. When you feel that you have to sacrifice artistic integrity and do the lame TOTP pretensions just to promote your record, then you are desperate. And when you make an album that critics say explores the terrain and soundscapes of your previous albums, then in Bono's own words "you glorify the past when the future dries up." I honestly don't think U2's future has already dried up, but my thoughts don't matter as U2 seems to think otherwise.

Cheers,

J

So why post so many negative comments which you present as fact on their fans' message board if your so fed up with them. I've been watching a few of your comments recently and I know and You know your comments serve only 1 purpose and that's to provoke a reaction from us because we are defensive about the band.

It's pretty pathetic really and not far away from Rollins's attention seeking outbursts.

i dont know, maybe its me but i do like the straw hat... he'll probably be wearing the same attire during the tour (except a jean jacket instead of the fur coat).. a nice change from elevation.. i really think its all about redefining the band as an old-is-new-again punk rock band

Bono's Tart said:
WHAT A UTTER LOAD OF CRAP THIS POST IS!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

We were there from 12.30 and were the first ticket holders through the gates, it was all played TOTALLY LIVE!!!

FOR GODS SAKE GET OVER YOURSELF!!! Bono even messed up one track in the second performance.

Sometimes I really do wonder what this band have to do!!

THEY WERE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

:madspit: :madspit: :drool:

HEY BT I CAN"T AGREE MORE WITH YOU !!!!!!!YOU'RE SO RIGHT :yes: , I can't stand people who talk like this :madspit:
They are the biggest band on the planet !!!

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J

wow after all this time you're still around and still aiming to push people's buttons. kinda sad I guess.

See I took a break from the U2 forums/mailing lists for a couple of years and this is exactly why (not J...he and everyone else knows what he does).

But it's this rabid fanboy-isms that just kill me. People act like either a.) U2 can do NO wrong and they would [scarlett o'hara voice]Neva' do ANYthing like this to their dear old fans![/scarlett].
or b.) the people that say "how dare we be censored" b/c someone mentioned closing the thread b/c it's becoming a freaking TRAINWRECK...not b/c anyone is trying to censor anyone else.

People it's OK if they did a little lip-synching. Sometimes the circumstances just dictate that they should. Whether it's vocal conditions, TotP mandates it, or just that they're still trying to find their zen in performing the song live and they'd rather please the audience with a good aural experience and not fuck it up b/c they're not used to it yet.

Either way it DOESN'T matter. We know how they play their tours live...we know that they don't like to lipsynch or anything of the such when they don't have to (unlike some performers) but sometimes it happens and people just need to chill out and get over it..it's NOT a big deal.

And I guarantee you if you went up to one of the band members and wined about some pre-recorded track and "how could you do this to us dear old fans!" that they'd probably slowly, with no sudden movements, inch behind their bodyguards and have you removed from the premises because there are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT PRESSING ISSUES.

jick
can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G
because thats what your mindless negativity over EVERYTHING U2 do has become

that "lack of self-belief" bull is the biggest pile of sh*t i've heard in a while

get over it

It's kinda disheartening when people thing EVERYTHING I have to say about the band is negative. Even in my post in this thread I said:

-U2 did the greatest Superbowl halftime performance EVER
-I (as in me...!) DON'T THINK that U2's future has already dried up

So how can that connote negativity? As a matter of fact, my love for the band makes me dislike it when the band is compared to talentless poseurs like Coldplay, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, The Hives, or The Killers. I don't care if it's U2 themselves who made that comparison. But if it's U2 themselves stooping to the level of those bands, then I say perhaps U2 are a bit unsure about themselves. When U2 were younger and more sure about themselves, they have compared themselves to Elvis, The Rolling Stones, or The Beatles. But Coldplay? Oh, come on! The boys know better than to look down on themselves.

And I think all the fans in general would prefer that U2 plays their music live. If there is ANYONE here who prefers U2 to play to a backing track with just the vocals live, then speak up! I feel I speak for EVERYONE when I say that I prefer hand-played live instruments from U2 everytime they do a live performance.

Why people ascribe so much negativity to my posts is beyond me. Look at the hours to make the video wallpapers, the hours spent in making the two remixes of Vertigo (which have been very well received by those who have heard it). I was also the one who provided and encoded the mp3 of the Batman theme. So I am starting to toot my own horn now huh? Well, I think it's about time. Because now is a happy time to be a U2 fan. We should all rejoice at the new single and the coming of the new album. We should not be bickering and ascribing imaginary negativity to extremely positive fans like me.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
It's kinda disheartening when people thing EVERYTHING I have to say about the band is negative. Even in my post in this thread I said:

-U2 did the greatest Superbowl halftime performance EVER
-I (as in me...!) DON'T THINK that U2's future has already dried up

So how can that connote negativity? As a matter of fact, my love for the band makes me dislike it when the band is compared to talentless poseurs like Coldplay, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, The Hives, or The Killers. I don't care if it's U2 themselves who made that comparison. But if it's U2 themselves stooping to the level of those bands, then I say perhaps U2 are a bit unsure about themselves. When U2 were younger and more sure about themselves, they have compared themselves to Elvis, The Rolling Stones, or The Beatles. But Coldplay? Oh, come on! The boys know better than to look down on themselves.

And I think all the fans in general would prefer that U2 plays their music live. If there is ANYONE here who prefers U2 to play to a backing track with just the vocals live, then speak up! I feel I speak for EVERYONE when I say that I prefer hand-played live instruments from U2 everytime they do a live performance.

Why people ascribe so much negativity to my posts is beyond me. Look at the hours to make the video wallpapers, the hours spent in making the two remixes of Vertigo (which have been very well received by those who have heard it). I was also the one who provided and encoded the mp3 of the Batman theme. So I am starting to toot my own horn now huh? Well, I think it's about time. Because now is a happy time to be a U2 fan. We should all rejoice at the new single and the coming of the new album. We should not be bickering and ascribing imaginary negativity to extremely positive fans like me.

Cheers,

J

i read on u2log.com that when they played on cd:uk the band played 4 songs all prerecorded except bono's voice. i cant understand why theyre doing that being the great band they are. but it still sounds great

jick said:

I think it's just b/c of the way you present it. You have a sort of back-handed complimenting way about things. It comes off as snide, under-handed, and condescending. If you really are as positive as you think you are then you REALLY need to work on getting that across in your writing. B/c you do come off as a sarcastic ass...

That said...got links to your Vertigo remixes? I'd love to hear them..

jick, if you say you're a big fan then you're a big fan.
maybe you just need to think about your wording then?
i think its just the overall tone thats used - there might be positive things in there but the general feel is negative.

for eg. if i said (hypothetically speaking) "britney spears makes great pop music... but she's immature white trash" i think it would be fair to agree that the overall tone of that is negative! :D

its the way you say it mate

Back
Top Bottom