MERGED-->'VERTIGO' to be played on BBC1 + NOT good news about Vertigo + Radio1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieU2fanman

Refugee
'VERTIGO' to be played on BBC1 this week

Hey guys, it was said by a couple of people on this forum that Vertigo is going to be played this week on BBC1. I am going to assume that if this is the case, then Friday will logically be the designated day for the debut. Can anyone please confirm this report? I remember several people posting this, I would just like confirmation and additional information if available. Seems like if this is true, then Friday is the go for the Vertigo leak people! Get your recorders ready!

This week ie. Friday Sept 10th at the latest. This is the only report of Vertigo being played this week so everyone should direct their energy towards this thread and tell us what you know\think.

Rumours on this forum are saying the 10th.

I'm looking at it as the 24th still, we've been stung before with rumours of it getting premiered early, but if it happens on the 10th it'll be a great treat.

Usually when they have an exclusive like this they'll build it up and whichever DJ gets it will be mentioning it for a good week in advance. Usual suspects would be Chris Moyles as he's on breakfast or Jo Whiley. I certainly haven't heard anything about Vertigo on Radio 1 and I've listened to quite a bit over the last week or so.

Just email jo.whiley@bbc.co.uk and ask her. She replied when I emailed her asking if she was the DJ who had Electrical Storm before that came out.

Mike.

ascender_RS said:
Usually when they have an exclusive like this they'll build it up and whichever DJ gets it will be mentioning it for a good week in advance. Usual suspects would be Chris Moyles as he's on breakfast or Jo Whiley. I certainly haven't heard anything about Vertigo on Radio 1 and I've listened to quite a bit over the last week or so.

Just email jo.whiley@bbc.co.uk and ask her. She replied when I emailed her asking if she was the DJ who had Electrical Storm before that came out.

Mike.

I've just e-mailed her, hopefully she'll come back with something to settle these rumours once and for all.

I emailed Jo Whiley last Friday about this but I've not heard anything back as yet. I'm not gonna be putting any money on this rumour being true that's for sure :)

At least if the BBC say they are going to play it they most certainly will.... unlike certain Californian Indie stations.. :mad:

It's either Chris Moyles or Jo Whiley that'll play it on Friday (they always get the premier of any new big tracks), anything outside of those two shows and I think it'll be fair to say it'll look like the 24th of September.

Maybe a clip from U2.com on Friday at the least?

Not good news regarding BBC1 Vertigo premiere

As others, I have emailed Jo Whiley and I just got her email that says

"tell everyone it's going to be the 24th not before"

Looks like U2 is really going for NO leaks this time.

Last edited:
Trying to delay them, as much as possible. There's bound to be at least one leak before the 24th. I hope it won't be too long from now...

At least we know, the rumours can be put to bed. We'll just need to knuckle down 'til the 24th, it's only 2 weeks away, we've waited 4 years! Still, when you're so close it gets harder.

I'm still hoping for U2.com clip though.

AussieU2fanman said:
well that's a real kick in the balls, U2girl emailed Jo and she says they aren'y gonna play it until the 24th. Damn their blasted competence!

Damn who exactly? Who reported that they actually said they would play it this week? By all accounts the BBC haven't promised us anything.

yep i reckon there's a good chance they'll release a 30 sec clip this week. It just feels like the right time. How long before beautiful day was released to radio was the 30 sec clip released??

30 second clip sounds like a possibility, but they've done that with the B-Side, so maybe that's it until after it premieres. I've no doubt a leak will come though, probably from a US radio station. Like a few of us said, if it was going to be on Radio 1 this week, we'd have heard about it by now, we wouldn't have to go looking for information.

Also remember the rumours about the huge marketing budget? I'm assuming there's a well planned strategy and campaign in place which they're obviously wanting to stick to.

The only thing that could open the floodgates now is if the "lost" CD mysteriously appears online.

26 days between clip and a full mp3 being available last time for BD. In my estimation there is a definite reason there is not a clip out there. They are really going for "shock and awe" with this new single.

Last edited:
Agreed VertiGone. The reports from the radio station DJs here in the US were that the label reps came and played the song, but didn't leave copies. That leaves no possibility of a leak. I think that one report was that the song would be sent to the radio stations in mp3 format on the 24th. Again, no possiblity of a leak.

U2 will probably send out the single in mp3 format the morning of the 24th and then every station that gets it will have it on within the hour. Nationwide -- nope, international -- shock and awe in a place called Vertigo!

I will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF if this song does not leak before the 22nd. I go on holiday then, and I'm not leaving without a copy of Vertigo burnt onto a CD. I'm not waiting until I get home on the 26th to hear it. Selfish of me? Of course it is. That doesn't change the fact I'm desperate to hear it before I go on holiday, though.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't hear Vertigo until the actual release day. If it does leak by some miracle then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

my exact thoughts on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom