MERGED ----> Vertigo??? + New album...Vertigo??? + New album name news at atu2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Makes sense as the next step after 'Elevation'. Hopefully a slightly darker edge. If so, then Vertigo works.

However, be on the lookout for a photo of plate of red herrings.

Then again, the band pulled that gimmick on us once before, as ATYCLB was the first album of the internet age. At least widespread internet usage by their fans. This time around they are probably going about the naming process as business as usual.

vertigo sounds great as an album title. if it's true i can't wait to see what's behind it.
i wouldn't be surprised if there's any metaphoric connection with the movie itself. Also the artwork may be inspired on the movie...

I don't really care for that as an album tiltle but it's not that bad just I think there could be better names. I liked Achtung Baby because I had no clue what it meant and it felt cool to say but Vertigo sounds not as good, but I can live with it.

One can certainly hope

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the soaring highs of the pop/rock atyclb/elevation tour leads into a dizzying fall back into the trash of zoo tv era u2

Man I love the sound of that.

Vertigo sounds better and better as an album title the more I think about it.

Last edited:
As I remember, before ATYCLB was released and the domain name registering was taking place, the first domain title that everyone jumped on was 'Jubilee' . There were others and ATYCLB followed but everyone jumped on 'Jubilee' as being the name as it coverered a multitude of possibilities and of course , a 'Jubilee Tour'. I wonder what other names will be registered?

Check out the story at @u2 again...from 2000..

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=305

which one would you fancy out of these domain names?

Last edited:
not yet known would be a cool name

so is vertigo..... I love it already.....

Re: Cool...

elevation said:
I really like the name. It sounds dizzying ... but eh ... how do you pronounce it? :help:

For a Canadian:

ver - (as in VERsion 2.0) - ti (as in TIP of my tongue) - go (as in GO away!)

Stress on the "ver"----VERtigo

I probably made that way more complicated than it had to be.

This title sounds wicked. I am so excited after reading this thread. I have to go to the bathroom now.

The VERTIGO of an acrobat that?s soared the heights of ?an Elevation experience? only to then run into some turbulence. Some instability of fear / doubt / confusion / frustration. ?No, nothing makes sense. Nothing seems to fit. I know you'd hit out. If you only knew who to hit. I must be an acrobat. To talk like this. And act like that. And you can dream. So dream out loud. And don't let the bastards grind you down.?

VERTIGO = Lady With A Spinning Head > the image from the title and the sound of the actual song. Wouldn?t it be wonderful if they played it! But probably it is highly unlikely. Who knows maybe there?s a similar type of song on the new album or at least one that could be transformed and stretched out in concert like a ?Spinning Head? song.

Some of that vertigo in the Even Better Than The Real Thing video with Bono tumbling around and upside down and when the camera spun the band round and around during Streets(?) on the gigantic PopMart screen. But this new tour could blow these out of the water if the reports are true that U2 are considering the new technology of an ?audio spotlight? (where sound can be easily and quickly moved and directed like a stage floodlight) and I believe read that there is also a new technology in which the sound of notes activates and directs the stage lights. If I remember correctly we can see this technology in the film The Good Thief (Bono sang That?s Life in it). Imagine if U2 are able to use these 2 effects in combination with either a stage and/or a screen that is moving and spinning in conjunction. If Elevation Tour took the PopMart Arc and just laid it down to become the Heart stage maybe the Vertigo Tour will take the idea of the 50 foot Lemon and use it (or a globe-like figure) as the main screen in the center of the stage which is in the center of the arena / stadium and the concert images are projected on it. At certain points in the concert the globe can start to spin and/or the images can circle around in a rapid movement. Taking the vertigo of image and the screens of ZOOTV and PopMart and expanding it to include the vertigo of sound and light! Worth $75 a ticket? Worth it even with a seat in the upper deck? Oh yeahhhhhhh!

Vertigo = the third U2 masterpiece? It has to be. Why? U2 themselves may be experiencing some ?vertigo? with the knowledge that they are on the threshold ? the precipice - about to enter the Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame on the heels of this new album. Does U2 have a healthy dose of ego? Do they possess a hungry intense ambition to be BIG and to be the BEST? Yes ? throughout their entire career. Wouldn?t they want to be inducted on the wave of their third masterpiece ? from 3 separate and consecutive decades? And not on the coattails of another spectacularly ?smart? and ?safe? ATYCLB? But rather with something that is landmark and groundbreaking? Even it means that they taken some risks and pushed themselves to limit again thereby having a little vertigo / dizziness from the effort and the anxiety of its reception. Aren?t they pulling out all the stops by starting with a new fresh but veteran producer and then bringing in Lanois / Lillywhite / Flood (where is Eno? Maybe he?s been ?tweaking? on it from his home studio?) Vertigo could describe their sensation of being concerned with another stadium Tour (PopMart lackluster support in the U.S.) and a world Tour (which I imagine they have dreamed and desired for at least one in their lifetime that truly hits the entire globe i.e. China / India / Russia / etc.) And vertigo could be fun line and image to play with during interviews and soundbites when they?re on this gargantuan world stadium tour!

Hey Numb1075 - it's all fun. Solar was a lot fun last June too. Besides nothing else happening on the U2 scene. I'm looking forward to the Interference artists with their ideas for how the album cover will look like! And maybe Bono will be a kind and generous guy again and "leak" the new single to a UK DJ as a wedding gift like he did with Electrical Storm!

Hey, wouldn't Paul McGuiness or somebody already debunked these rumors if they weren't true? I mean, that was the case in that Solar situation... But, I do think that the Solar rumor was leaked to the press, although I'm not sure.

1-Solar was started because of a faked artist rendering of the album cover, it was very well done and even had Interscope trademarks on the poster

2-Some news outlet reported it, it was posted every U2 board and all of a sudden that became the rumor

3-More news outlets repeat the rumor

4-Band deinies a rumor that was esselntially started by some clever fan who faked the photos.

Vertigo comes from the same source that unearthed the 3 possible names that were thrown around for what ended up being ATYCLB> as it turns out ATYCLB was one of those names registered with the same people who registered Vertigo.

Translation:
Vertigo is either the name of the album or it is among the short list of names being considered. Making it 1,000 times more reliable than the Solar rumors.

Now, when some news outlet reports this because it's all over atu2, intereference and U2log then some people will believe it's gospel truth when in fact, all most of those news outlets do is just regrurgitate old news and package it up and stick a new date on it.

I would guess that they haven't decided on the name of the album just yet, hopefully someone can dig up some new names.

I really like "Vertigo".

It's kind of like U2 has risen to such musical heights that they can't look down without suffering from vertigo.

t8thgr8 said:

btw, i saw the audio spotlight on animal planet when they were talking about dolphins' sonar. they cut to a clip of some dude displaying how the audio spotlight worked and he had a laser pen installed into the center of the speaker and when he pointed the laser into the camera you could hear it and as soon as he moved an inch away it went silent, it was f-ing cool

They had audio spotlights at Microsoft's Redmond, WA campus in the Microsoft Museum...it's like the sound is IN your head when you stand directly under one... o_O

Phuzzie_the_camera_girl said:

They had audio spotlights at Microsoft's Redmond, WA campus in the Microsoft Museum...it's like the sound is IN your head when you stand directly under one... o_O

Just imagine the sound being IN your head when Bono throws a fit at the end of Bullet! Or having Edge's Fly solo being flung right at you! Oh my, I'm excited already!

And U2Soar, I too like the way your mind works. Even if you're not right, your speculation is always great to read, I love the connections you come up with. U2 should give you a job. (While they're at it, can I be hired to design setlists?)

Phuzzie_the_camera_girl said:

:drool:

Oh man, Streets, The Fly, Until The End Of The World (specially the ending) would probably kick major ass with that thing on.

djerdap said:
You see, that music makes me dizzy!
And now U2's new album could be named Vertigo...
You see the irony in that?

I took a desktop publishing course - started six weeks ago, ended three weeks after that. We had to create businesses and do brochures, business cards, posters, and logos. I created a rock band...and named it Vertigo. How's that for irony? *g*

Maybe this has already been said...

Vertigo's the title of a old Hitchcock movie with Kim Novak (one of Bono's favourite actess).

In Italian, the title was translated into "La donna che visse 2 volte" (the woman who lived twice)

2 -> U2... Cool stuff!!!

:wink:

Imagine asking for it at the shops......

"Do you have Vertigo?"

Shop assistant:
"No its just the way my pants are a bit tight! bit of a personal question wasn't it????"

:lmao:

what a bomb! said:
Imagine asking for it at the shops......

"Do you have Vertigo?"

Shop assistant:
"No its just the way my pants are a bit tight! bit of a personal question wasn't it????"

:lmao:

That's a great one!! :lmao:

Sherry Darling said:
Well, in PLEBA, U2 gives us vertigo like daily. :wink: I think it must be a tribute to us. :yes:

SD

:lmao: :up:

VERTIGO - The combination of those new 360 degree Spin Cams of the Slane Castle concerts with what Willie did at the end of Elevation concerts (= the lyrics of Walk On projected onto the audience and everywhere in the arena from the ceiling to the floor. Using all of the audience themselves as a ?canvas? / as a screen.).So at different points of the new concerts there are not only moving images on the spinning ?Globe? screen (the primary stage screen) in the center of the stage in the center of the arena but the moving images could projected everywhere you look ? from the very top of the arena to the bottom and from everything on your left to everything on your right. Take these 2 elements (projected moving images on the audience themselves = the entire arena and a spinning ?Globe? screen [the primary stage screen]) and combine it with the audio spotlight technology and the technology of the stage lights activated and directed by the musical notes = and I think we would experience some degree of vertigo : - )

Hey, how do I access the spin cams on the Slane DVD or whatnot? Are they on there to begin with?

Back
Top Bottom