MERGED--> Verdicts on Mercy + Mercy is a new track + Mercy is deffinetly not a good s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the song isn't one of U2's stand-out tracks, but I think it makes a damn good b-side.

I could see them putting out another EP like Wideawake In America with live versions of Vertigo, Blinding Lights and Miracle Drug then throwing some studio b-sides on it like Mercy, Are You Gonna Wait Forever and maybe Fast Cars.

I think it would have made the album if it was shorter in length. A shame, really. :(

Please, i am getting desperate! I will do anything for anyone just for some Mercy! (well, not ANYTHING... to you sleazeballs out there)

This one may have to be a grower. I think the song is good, but I'd rate it a b-side for sure. Seems like it could build up into something very big, but never does.

I do love the guitar in the final minute of the song though, wish it was used throughout.

Good song.

I just going to say the Chorus makes this song great but Nick_U2 beat me too it. Ah, I'll say it anyway:

The chorus rocks!

This is almost my favourite b-side. It might even be better than Lady with the spinning head. I'm not sure though. Time wil tell.

Another thing about this song: Great lyrics.

you are gravity,
searching for the ground

you are silence,
searching for a sound

WOW, these lyrics are amazing.

What do the rest of the cd that this came from sounds like? This song sound like a demo. Needs polishing. Interesting.....maybe they'll work on it , and this is the surpirse anniversary single?

boosterjuice said:
Hey U2_guy,

I might not have heard "Walk to the Water"

From what album/single?
If you have it electronically available, pls send to timothynash@gmail.com

Maaaan!!!

Walk to the water is from the With or without you single... Bono once said the 3 songs from the WOWY single should have been released on the JT album... Cause he says WOWY only makes sense with Walk to the water and Luminous Times.

It's also on the bsides disc from the 80-90 Best of.

It's a shame i don't have the CD single with me cause i'd me more than happy to send the damn song to you...

boosterjuice said:

Another thing about this song: Great lyrics.

you are gravity,
searching for the ground

you are silence,
searching for a sound

WOW, these lyrics are amazing.

:up: those lyrics jumped out at me and, yeah, wow... i think this is my new favourite song.

:drool:

Actually could someone list the b-sides and whether they think they are good? I'm missing a few I think

Thanks

Here are some b-sides that I know and love:

Lady with the spinning head: (off best of 90s 2nd disc, I also have a rare unmastered version of this which is awesome)

Summer Rain: (off best of 90's 2nd disc)

Obviously: ARe you gonna wait forever, Mercy

Sleep Over Jack said:
Thanks...I have those, but I've seen a few songs mentioned on here that I don't think I've heard before..

Me too. I'm missing most the of 80s b-sides. I also know that there is a Passenger album of softer/experimental U2 songs. I don't know where to find this.

Always: bside to beautiful day
Holy Joe: bside to discotheque
Big Girls are Best: Bside to SIAM
Where did it all go wrong, salome, Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk (AB era)
North and South of the river
Slow Dancing (this IS the BEST B SIDE EVER. Period)
She's a mystery to me (not really bside to any single now is it?)
Two shot's of happy (if god will send his angels)
All the bsides from the 80's most on the best of bside disc.
Covers: Paint it black, satelite of love (awesome!), neon lights, Night and day... those are just off the top of my head.

coach said:
Always: bside to beautiful day
Holy Joe: bside to discotheque
Big Girls are Best: Bside to SIAM
Where did it all go wrong, salome, Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk (AB era)
North and South of the river
Slow Dancing (this IS the BEST B SIDE EVER. Period)
She's a mystery to me (not really bside to any single now is it?)
Two shot's of happy (if god will send his angels)
All the bsides from the 80's most on the best of bside disc.
Covers: Paint it black, satelite of love (awesome!), neon lights, Night and day... those are just off the top of my head.

Thanks coach!

The song's increadible. It sounds like something off of Achtung Baby. It's really dark and deep, something I hoped HTDAAB was, but it wasn't. The lyrics are the strongest part, although the guitar is also great.

This song is good, but it could be 2 minutes shorter, IMO. Kind of drags on without any real major peak. I agree with someone who said maybe it was an early demo from which Miracle Drug may have evolved. Great lyrics, but even they could have been more focused. HEy its just my opinion, I love this album and can EASILY see why this song was not on the album. Good B-side though.

This is an amazing b-side....good lord!!!!! This is a classic example of U2's second tier material being our gold. It doesn't sound 100% finished and polished on this version, though.

But it's like a flashback to the b-sides of the 80's (e.g., Luminous Times, Walk to the Water) where the lyrics are DEEP and POETIC - Bono style.

I love THIS vocal style. F'n classic Bono.

It sounds like a long lost B-side from Achtung/Zooropa or even before.

Like something they had in the vault that they decided to pull out.

I live for sh*t like this song. U2 in this poetic, pensive style is something we don't hear much anymore. ATYCLB and HTDAAB is much more direct than this. Heavy metaphors in here - Bono at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom