MERGED--->U2achtung review + Here is my translation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great reviews and very well written. I love the part about The Edge being at the top of his game. He is the man. Those germans must have been listening to another record.

tkramer said:
part two of four:

...This new dimension brings the album to another level emotionally.

Vertigo
The song swirls and curls with the punk references of Out of Control or I Will Follow, it’s a lot of fun, but really, its not that representative of the remainder of the album, which has layers of guitars compared to this track k. It should be a killer live track for the band.

Miracle Drug
has a resonant guitar introduction and starts softly. It then builds and builds with a ferocious edge. The voice of Bono quickly moves towards exaltation and he expresses a palpable pain, mixing in Edges angry riffs. The environment of the song reminds one of Coldplay’s Politik...

Sometimes You Can't Make It One Your Own
a ballad exhaling an emotional intensity which draws from the tears of the singer... The start is very sparse, with a simple guitar, soft, almost acoustic... and quickly builds to a place which will heat even the most frozen hearts. Similar to, but much better than, the ballads on All That You Can't Leave Behind, as it has real emotional weight and doesn't feel fake.

holy mofo

Love And Peace Or Else -
This song has four musical atmospheres in one track!!! Heavy introduction, worrying, industrial, crushing... which connects into tempo blues, then on a metal rock'n'roll before finishing in a flood of battery. Atmosphere is all over this song, with an environment of combat, war and chaos...
Three of four:

City Of Blinding Lights -
Classic U2, As our friend Saxon anglo (board member) would say... From the first note it puts a smile on your face. Where The Streets Have No Name emerges here without ambiguity. Exaltation, passion, a rate/rhythm mid-tempo kinematic and graying. Edge shines on like a thousand fires... it raises you out of your seat... then a gracious conclusion where the piano comes to be involved in a chime evolved from a guitar...

All Because Of You -
This will slaughter people live!!! Humming, metal, acute and piercing, one finds some share between a remix of Vertigo, Achtung Baby and heavy metal. The voice of Bono is with the signal of its power on this title carried out by Edge with absolute brilliance.

In Man And A Woman -
Soft Ballad, reminds one of Drowning Man in its first notes. A good song for a quiet daydream, or a small romantic evening... One of the least captivating titles. New Wild Honey? Perhaps, without the raspy side, and more in subtlety...

Second translation - enjoy

This review appears to have been written in a very poetic manner so I am attempting to faithfully render this joyous review in English....

The following Review is by Fabienne Fabienne who also attended the album preview. It was forwarded to various European sites (U2Achtung.com, U2log.com and U2France) It is with pleasure that we publish it here.

On this Thursday, November 4, Universal has finally revealed How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb to the press and to some guests, by organizing a preview in it's building. The champagne and the small fireplaces certainly did not detract from the overall feverish and studious atmosphere for the few privileged people present. HTDAAB is not an album which reveals all of it's substance/layers on the first listen. It is rich, intense, dense, vigorous, emotional, and ambitious. The structures of the songs are generally complex, sophisticated, and even obscure. Sometimes You Can' t Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace, City Of Blinding Lights, All Because Of You, are all essential from the start, and are superior tracks on the album. Crumbs From Your Table, A Man And A Woman, and, to a lesser extent, Yahweh, are weaker then the aforementioned tracks. The eleventh studio album from U2 is indisputably dominated by The Edge in a state of grace, galvanized fury and full of inspiration, at the height of his powers. Edge unites with his instrument, handling the guitar like Zidane his balloon or Picasso his brush. There are crystalline sounds reminiscent of The Joshua Tree or the watery colors of The Unforgettable Fire - exalted vibrations which emanate from the album. The stress is not laid on the vocal performances from Bono. As we have now heard for some years, his voice is very different than it used to be... often course or even weaker... But what Bono has lost in clarity, he has gained in depth, subtlety, enthusiasm, and lyricism. The Bono of today is better expressed with the sincerity and the richness of his heart than with the power of his vocal cords. This new vocal dimension makes for a very moving album when contrasted with the musical power heard on most of this album.

Vertigo, as we have already heard, has a swirling opening referencing punk influences - almost as a to nod or wink to "Out of Control" or "I Will Follow", However, this is not representative of the remainder of the album. Obviously, this inspired song has great potential in the live environment.

Miracle Drug has an intro filled with resonant guitar which almost seems out of place. Initially soft, the tune accelerates rather quickly towards a faster tempo. The emotional voice of Bono rises quickly towards the climax and expresses a palpable pain, mixing with the angry riffs from Edge, which are not completely dissimilar to Coldplay.

Sometimes You Can' t Make It On Your Own
This ballad exudes emotional intensity worthy of bringing tears to one's eyes... An Immediate song, with very present bass , a simple guitar, soft, almost acoustic... yet with acutely shimmering sounds which will warm even frozen hearts. The end is palpitating... This song, perhaps, would fit thematically on ATYCLB.

Love And Peace Or Else
Four distinct musical atmospheres in only one song! Heavy introduction, worrying, industrial, crushing... the tempo being very bluesy in the beginning, then full on metal rock'n'roll before finishing in a flood of energy. The subject matter is combative of the effects of war and chaos...

City Of Blinding Lights
Classic U2, our English friends might say, causing one to smile from the very first note. "Where The Streets Have No Name" emerges here in the intro - this would be a tough point to argue... Exaltation, passion, a mid-tempo rhythm, this song is cinematic and kinetic. Edge shines like a thousand fires... making the listener feel alive and want to move... A beautiful finale where the piano comes to fuse with the guitar...

All Because Of You
A future live song for sure. This song is humming, metal, acute, piercing...sounding like a mix of Vertigo, Achtung Baby era U2, and heavy metal. Bono's voice is very powerful here and the Edge brilliant.

Man And A Woman
A soft ballad reminiscent of Drowning Man in the first few notes. A good song for a quiet daydream, or a romantic evening... In spite of a nice bassline and being rather atmospheric, this is certainly one of the least captivating songs. Similar to Wild Honey without the raspy vocals and with more subtlety...

Crumbs From Your Table
With an extremely identifiable U2 riff, this rather slow song (on first listen) seems to be structured poorly, unfinished. Think of the Achtung Baby outtakes with elements of "I Still haven' t Found What I' m Looking For" mixed in. This one will require additional listening to determine if it is a good song.

One Step Closer
Brian Eno deposited a little of his magic on this dreamy, atmospheric, song. Like a dense Unforgettable Fire song, this is a powerful and intimate ballad which causes one to rock with delight.

Original Of The Species
An excellent pop melody here with obvious Beatles influences. Although electric in parts, it is definitely more restrained then most of the album. A very straightforward song without much of a surprise.

Yahweh
A unique song for U2 who have accustomed us to ending albums with slow and/or peaceful songs. The tempo here is instead fast, the guitars full and saturating. Yahweh is clearly a rock'n'roll prayer in which Bono puts all of his enthusiasm. A song which rises towards a tainted spiritual message of pain and hope.

U2 have not disappointed. The sound of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is that of the flame of rock'n'roll, vitality and emotion. A sound which cuts and drains you until you are tired...only to awaken happy, full of passion, and permeated with beauty.

last part:

Crumbs From Your Table
Extremely identifiable, a pure riff of U2, this rather slow song seems at first a little unstructured, a little incompleted... It reminds me of some of the Achtung baby outtakes with a touch of I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For... It will take additional listenings to see what I really think about it.

One Step Closer
Brian Eno put a little of his magic on this atmospheric daydream. The song owes some thanks to the Unforgettable Fire but here is enriched, densified, to give rise to a powerful ballad in which lets you rock with delight.

Original Of The Species
an excellent pop melody, with the obvious beatlesques references. It is definitely more peaceful than its colleagues. Once again, I don't know if it's a classic just yet.

Yahweh
An original conclusion for U2 which had grown accustomed to peaceful ends on albums... The tempo is fast, the guitars are full and saturated.
This song is clearly and unopoligetically a rock'n'roll prayer in which Bono puts all his enthusiasm, its a song which s'élève towards a tinted spritual supplication, pain, and despair.

U2 didn’t let us down, they didn’t lie to us. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is the flame of rock'n'roll, with vitallity and emotion. A vibration which first cuts you, then fills your soul, and in the end leaves you full of beauty and happiness.

Last edited:
Whew! I did my best and tried not to take too many liberties with the translation. They obviously loved it other than a few tracks they need more time with.

I love how this reviewer talks about the ROCK 'N' ROLL parts!!!! :up:

The words HEAVY METAL when used more than once make me go :drool:
:combust: :faint: :hyper:!!!!!!!!

Thanks tkramer!! :up:

Last edited:
Vertigo First single, first title of the album. A powerful sound, an energy close to punk, kind of revival of the end of the Seventies. In the video which will accompany the limited edition, Bono compares it with its ' first single one our first album' It should be noted that the version of the album is identical to that which will leave the 8/11 in single.

Miricle Drug- After simple a intro with the piano and the guitar, one could believe has a ballade gentillette such as we could find some on All That You Can' T Leave Behind. That nenni, the title does not cease accelerating on nearly 4 minutes. The battery of Larry and the guitar of The Edge are increasingly constant on this title. The bridge, passage instrumental in the medium of the song, is a splendid planing solo as only The Edge is able of us to offer some.

Sometimes You Can' T Make It On Your Own -
There still a ballade, a intro with the guitar in acoustics. That those which worry about the voice of Bono are reassured, this one is with the signal on this title. General interpretation can make think of a title of the period Joshua Tree - Rattle and Hum. The end of the song resounds like a cry of revolt on behalf of Bono. A song which should take all its dimension into live. It should be noted that this one will be the second single of the album announced for next February. Only one fear about it, that its title with extension does not play against it.

Lovel And Peace Or Else -
After an introduction to very industrial sonorities, the song keeps a rate/rhythm supported with this guitar with the very heavy and very dark sound. Per moment, there is the impression to hear the sound of an old title of Depeche Mode, Pleasure, Little Treasure. Is precisely this can be due to this guitar? There too, the bridge is very interesting, this one is very calm compared to the remainder. Moreover, low, it the also omnipresent one on this title, gives him sometimes a military marching tune. One finds on the end of the title, this sound suitable for U2.

City Of Blinding Lights
Longest intro of the album, nearly one minute and which is not without pointing out that of Where The Streets Have No Name in its time. This song sounds the Eighties very, with a rate/rhythm which one could find on the War album. The voice of Bono there too is very posed, very calms. One indicates a certain resemblance between this song and the credits of the "Children of the Rock'n'roll" on A2, at the beginning of the Eighties, that oldest remember! A title which should be very interesting to hear on scene. Only regret, the bridge, really below compared to the remainder the song and which completely comes to break the rate/rhythm of this one.

All Because Of You
a sound saturated with entry, a constant rate/rhythm which can make think of Desire. On this piece the performance of Bono is well in-on this side remainder of the album and is made forget with the profit of that of The Edge which carries, like often, all the weight of the piece on its shoulders.

A Man And A Woman
a intro with the acoustic guitar, low well presents. Here is a title which is presented halfway between the ballade and the more traditional title rock'n'roll. On this piece, one smells well the effort carried out by Bono to go up very high. Can be the smallest piece of the album by its lack of originality.

Crumbs From Your Table
Counts a intro which resounds as that of Where The Streets Have No Name there too but in much slower then which grows throughout piece louder and louder. This piece is not without recalling Walk One on the last album. This title is besides that which musicalement seems closer to All That You Can' T Leave Behind. The live version should be a great moment.

One Step Closer
Encore a ballade will say some, here the low one is quite present from the very start, the voice of Bono is omnipresent there during the verses, the instruments being well in withdrawal. On the other hand as soon as this one stops singing The Edge launches out in purple passages, with planing solos which are not without pointing out those of Pink Floyd. The "leg" of Daniel Lanois is very present here.

Original Of The Species
a intro with the piano, instrument which one will find throughout this piece like the discussion thread of this one. This title carries us in a swirl. This song sounds very "pop English" and brews of Beatles with Coldplay what gives him an air of already heard... but in better.

Yahweh
Envoûtante of entry, this song gives desire for still accompanying them, for following them for a long time. It is the anti Thanks par excellence. With semi-way between the ballade and the song well rock'n'roll, it says to us goodbye and appointment for the next album gives us. There is no doubt that one will find this title in closure the concerts which will arrive as of the next year. To conclude, forget All That You Can' T Leave Behind, U2 believed 2004 arrived and is not ready to be forgotten. A group at best of its form for an album of excellence. And with all those which think that U2 is a group which belongs to the past, listen to this album, there is no doubt that your opinion will have changed thereafter.

Last edited:
The description of Love and Peace or else has me pretty excited. I love songs with multiple transitions. Songs like Zooropa, which has three distinct parts.

That was fun tkramer

It was so difficult sometimes to understand exactly what was meant when reading the rough translation.

This made it cathartic to read your translation tkramer b/c I could see someone go through some of the same difficulties and come up with almost the same thing!

Great! This review gets me pumped too - especially the heavy metal and atmospheric stuff. Those components on the same album excite the hell out of me. UF is my fav, there is no doubt, so anything similar is very welcome in my book!

Yahweh and Crumbs are the real enigmas for me from the reviews...both seem to either receive great praise or critical hammerings....very curious to see how they are.

tkramer said:

U2’s eleventh studio album is indisputably dominated by The Edge. He's in a state of galvanized fury and inspiration, and is playing at the top of his virtuosity. Edge amalgamates with his instruments, handling the guitar like Zidane his balloon or Picasso his brush. The crystalline reminiscences of The Joshua Tree or the watery colours of The Unforgettable Fire come to the fore with a A Baby edge of sadness.

This might be the greatest thing Ive heard about the new album yet..

Back
Top Bottom