MERGED ----> U2 to record with Green Day ? + are the hardcore green day fans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nurse chrissi

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
U2 to record with Green Day ?

found this over on u2log
http://u2log.com/archive/2006/09/u2_to_record_with_green_day_.php#comments

U2 to record with Green Day ?
fabienne // 06-09-06 // 07:19 PM // Comments (0)
Well, that is what Bono told this afternoon over the phone to Michka Assayas - author of the book “Bono on Bono”. Bono sang an old Skids song to him, explaining that U2 is to record it soon with Green Day.

He also told Michka that everything is fine with Rick Rubin, and that they are all still working in London for another three weeks. Apparently, most of the work is being done out of the studio for the moment: Rick Rubin is expecting U2 to hold “extraordinary songs” before actually recording them. This approach, which seems to be more “artistic” than “scientific”, may put The Edge in a brand new situation.

This phone call follows a funny episode that happened yesterday night, during the Zoo TV DVD launching event at the Olympia theater in Paris. As the special guest of the night, Michka was passionately answering questions on stage when he suddenly decided to call Bono on his cell phone - was he inspired by the Zoo TV phone calls Bono used to make at the time? Anyway, the audience had an opportunity to leave a huge screaming message on Bono’s voice mail.
Bono kindly called Michka back today, insuring him that he would definitely have picked up the phone if he had been able to.

Nooooooo...!!

Bono is so great, so why whenever he sings songs with people outside the band does he pick horrible singers?

shart1780 said:
Nooooooo...!!

Bono is so great, so why whenever he sings songs with people outside the band does he pick horrible singers?

Bob Dylan
BB King
Frank Sinatra
Johnny Cash

Yeah, Bono has no taste

I find Green Day boring, but maybe that's just me, cause they sell a lot of records. But U2 and Green Day recording together.. :no:

Great to hear about their work with Rick Rubin, though. I wonder what kind of songs will come out of this new 'artistic' approach. Must suit Bono well ... not a lot of 'plumbing'.

Last edited:
On KROQ this morning they said Rick Rubin was currently in the studio with Linkin Park. His collaboration with LP has been confirmed all over the place so makes me want to believe that over him being in London with U2 right now.

Re: U2 to record with Green Day ?

nurse chrissi said:
Rick Rubin is expecting U2 to hold “extraordinary songs” before actually recording them. [/B]

This is the key piece of news, not the Green Day thing.

Everyone stop bitching about Green Day, and talk about this.

When U2 played Oakland last year, Bono gave a shout-out to local boys Green Day and said what a great punk band and voice of conscience they were, etc. U2 and Green Day have always said they're big fans of each other. Not surprised by this in the least.

I wonder if Rick Rubin always works this way or if this is just an experiment with U2, because they normally use the studio as an instrument and he wants to see what happens when he takes it away from them.

I'm just afraid, if it doesn't work, that they'll have to start all over again in a year or so :ohmy:

All this talk of collaborating....Green Day....potentially The Strokes..... Let's pray that we're not looking at a collaboration album....:yuck:

As for Michka, well, I don't know. Did you read the Bono book? This guy talks like he's one of Bono's best friends, and yet he doesn't seem to understand the man at all. I mean, jeezus, the guy said that he still didn't understand what ZooTV was all about!!

Also, where did this news of the phone conversation between Michka and Bono actually get released? It seems from the story that Michka called Bono at the conference, but that he only left a message. What happened----Bono called back the next day, and then Michka ran to the newspapers to tell everyone what he said? :scratch:

I wonder what the Rick Rubin encouraging the band to "hold" extraordinary songs thing means. Does that mean that they're not going to put anything at all down on tape until it's spectacular? With the perfectionists that U2 are, we'd be waiting YEARS for a new album! I don't know how well that'd fly....I mean, they even record their soundchecks! I guess they've done stranger things with new producers in the past....( :hmm: picturing Eno making the band jam naked for a day while making UF...)

So that confirms that RR is working with U2...awesome. I hope he adds a little more spice to this already amazing band. Hey Dev, you know that Rubin could be working with LP at a later date or started earlier this summer and will resume once his Sept. stint is over. Something to mull over.

It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song
It's only one song

:mad:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
So that confirms that RR is working with U2...awesome. I hope he adds a little more spice to this already amazing band.

Almost what I think...

Reggie Thee Dog said:
So that confirms that RR is working with U2...awesome. I hope he cancels out a little lame from this aging rock band.

if you want to be technical, bono and billy joe armstrong have already sung together once before, harmonizing on one of the choruses for "across the universe" at the grammy's in 2005 i do believe.

BonoGD.jpg

:shrug: i would love to hear it... american idiot is a brilliant album, and just because teeny bopper 14 year old girls liked it, i'm not afraid to admit it.

beachball said:
I wonder if Rick Rubin always works this way or if this is just an experiment with U2, because they normally use the studio as an instrument and he wants to see what happens when he takes it away from them.

this sounds very rubin-like... he did the very same thing with neil diamond... whom he thought had become too over-produced... he forced him to get away from the production and just make great songs... which he did.

also similar to his american sessions with johnny cash. i dig it.

And U2 has become way too over-produced of late. It would be great to see a more organic album if Rubin is in charge.

shart1780 said:
Nooooooo...!!

Given the quality of singers Bono has worked with (Sinatra, Jagger, Hutchence, Pavarotti, Dylan, Cash, Cohen, Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder, BB King, Marvin Gaye....wow) this comment is hardly worth responding to - except I kind of know what you (may) mean.

The product of most Bono collaborations has been a little disappointing IMHO, given the calibre of both singers. Standouts I believe are Sweet Fire of Love (Robbie Robertson), In a Lifetime (Clannad) and the various tracks with Gavin Friday. And these artists have had similar sound to U2, whereas the less successful songs are from different genres.

In saying that, The Cure's Robert Smith did a great collaboration with Blink 182 a couple of years ago.

But either way, I think the rumour is a load of cr@p.

"Rick Rubin is expecting U2 to hold “extraordinary songs” before actually recording them."

So what does this mean "hold" great songs before recording? Write them, work out the arrangement etc... before going to studio and really just record the songs in one take?

yup, that's how Rubin works

I think I posted something to that effect to describe why AC/DC wasn't particularly fond of working with Rubin

I still think it will prove the same way with U2 and we won't see an album until 2008
but who knows really

I read somewhere on the teletext that Linkin Park is pushing their album back into 2008. They have about 50 songs and are re-doing the arrangements.

I wonder what the U2/Green Day song will be. A single? Soundtrack? Charity song? Compilation song? (he said they're doing a Skids cover)

I'm not sure that Rubin demand would be so bad, U2 records a lot when making an album, even during tours - they can still put down songs in Dublin or France before they go definite with Rubin. Definitely an interesting position to be in for them, and something fresh.

Besides "everything is fine with Rick Rubin, and that they are all still working in London for another three weeks." Seems like the band is going along nicely with Rubin's request.

Last edited:
Utoo said:
Michka ran to the newspapers to tell everyone what he said? :scratch:
So much cynicism........:huh:
Michka was happy to meet U2 fans yesterday, he tried to call Bono but Bono was absent.
Bono finally called back some hours later, Michka transmitted his message to fans and added that U2 were working on the next album.
Michka is not a paparazzi, his message was released via U2's record company.

Last edited:
Green Days official site has some "big news" that was supposed to be broken on Tuesday, but has since been deleayed....I wonder if its releated to this....

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:shrug: i would love to hear it... american idiot is a brilliant album, and just because teeny bopper 14 year old girls liked it, i'm not afraid to admit it.

This album got my mother hooked on them, and she's in her 40's!....It got me on them too to be honest.

Last edited:
This is way too strange... U2 and Green Day working on their new albums, and still having something new to show. Why would they make a song together at this time of the championship?

Even though U2 has gone through diverse styles, influences, ways to make music, U2 is U2, and there's always an essence,
I hope that Rubin (despite being a good producer) won't bring it down with his techniques that are very different from those U2 is used to.

Canadiens1160, don't alter other people's quotes. I understand what you are doing, but it can be misleading to people glancing at a thread...and it violates the FAQ.

Back
Top Bottom