MERGED ->U2 to re-record Pop!+ Bono talking out of his arse!+Wait,what's this remast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear they're also going to replay the entire PopMart Tour because they didn't like how the first one went.

typhoon said:
I hear they're also going to replay the entire PopMart Tour because they didn't like how the first one went.

I think they should replay the 5/12/97 show because it sucked big donkey balls

bathiu said:

Want some facts and numbers?
On ElevationTour, 1 tour after POP era they were playing: Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Gone, Please (accoustic) and Wake Up Dead Man...

??????

And...?

The fact remains...those songs are out of the rotation now, have been since early in Elevation third leg (when the only song remaining was Staring at the Sun--and then that got dropped too.)

I stand by the statement.

Ellay said:
Perhaps the Europe leg of the vertigo tour will ONLY consist of songs from pop and zooropa.. That would surprise a few people.

I would like that :wink:

I think it's up to U2. If they do, I'm fine with it. If they don't, I'm fine with it. I'd much rather hear a better studio recording of songs like Beautiful Ghost, Deep In The Heart, and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. *shrugs*

I hope not. I love Pop as it is. I don't even like the "new" versions on the Best of 1990-2000 CD. :down:

miss becky said:
I hope not. I love Pop as it is. I don't even like the "new" versions on the Best of 1990-2000 CD. :down:

The "nex mixes" on the Best of 90-00 are the reworked Pop songs that the band returned to. Old quote.

Roland of Gilead said:

The "nex mixes" on the Best of 90-00 are the reworked Pop songs that the band returned to. Old quote.

not so sure...this is a new quote because its in NME(this month or next)

Roland of Gilead said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I said that I don't want the band to re-record Pop, because I didn't like those versions on the Best Of CD -- and from that I presume that I will also not like any other new versions, be they recorded one month from now or ten years from now. I like Pop as it is.

Just read another quote about U2 re-doing Pop and making up to the spectacular standard of their other albums.. HTDAAB and ATYCLB are due for a good re-working then!:wink:

Here's what I think about Pop (and I kinda said it in another thread)....

The album itself is all about making a big reach, or leap, for something and not quite getting there. Satisfaction (Discoteque), Acceptance (Mofo), Hope (If God Will Send...), Faith (Wake Up Dead Man) etc etc etc... you can go away and think about that further and you can see where the whole album title and theme and everything comes from, but that's not for this thread...

Anyway, album is about reaching and falling. Pop was U2's most ambitious album, and their most ambitious period. The album does have it's flaws. You can tell there's a rush to wrap it up. To me the production is nowhere near as bad as HTDAAB but you can hear errors in there in editing etc. But that to me is what gives it it's beauty. An album about reaching and not quite getting there, and by pure accident, the whole album does that itself. Listening back on that album now, it's seems like the perfect match for U2 during those couple of years. It's a big, big album. It's a mammoth idea, and they can't quite grasp it.

If they go back and re-do it, it's simply not the same album at all.

You can reach, but you can't grab it.
Maybe come back in 8 years.
And you can have it.

No thanks.

Earnie Shavers,you said it all.
I hope your post will shut up all those POP haters who say that POP is equal to POOP.

i don't like it when any band goes back years later and tries to redo something they did in the past. i don't care if it's something i don't even like.

if U2 went back and reworked any of their albums, i'd be furious.

Earnie Shavers said:
Here's what I think about Pop (and I kinda said it in another thread)....

The album itself is all about making a big reach, or leap, for something and not quite getting there. Satisfaction (Discoteque), Acceptance (Mofo), Hope (If God Will Send...), Faith (Wake Up Dead Man) etc etc etc... you can go away and think about that further and you can see where the whole album title and theme and everything comes from, but that's not for this thread...

Anyway, album is about reaching and falling. Pop was U2's most ambitious album, and their most ambitious period. The album does have it's flaws. You can tell there's a rush to wrap it up. To me the production is nowhere near as bad as HTDAAB but you can hear errors in there in editing etc. But that to me is what gives it it's beauty. An album about reaching and not quite getting there, and by pure accident, the whole album does that itself. Listening back on that album now, it's seems like the perfect match for U2 during those couple of years. It's a big, big album. It's a mammoth idea, and they can't quite grasp it.

If they go back and re-do it, it's simply not the same album at all.

You can reach, but you can't grab it.
Maybe come back in 8 years.
And you can have it.

No thanks.

Excellent post.....the key word here ambitious. I think the album does get there it just didn't sell and thats the gripe U2 have with it now. It would be disastrous to hear what a re-working would be like. As I said beforethe key word about the 90's U2....... ambitious.... the key word since............ SALES!

bathiu said:

Want some facts and numbers?
On ElevationTour, 1 tour after POP era they were playing: Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Gone, Please (accoustic) and Wake Up Dead Man... 5 songs...

These songs weren't exactly played every night. Discoteque should have been played more, SATS they could have tried with the whole band or even two guitars, not the lame arse version they have on the Slane DVD, Gone is brilliant and I would love to see that still being played, Please is great and I think it could make a comeback on this tour, whether it be acoustic or full band. WUDM wasm nice when they played little snippets of it during the last tour, such as on the Slane DVD. Perhaps they should try it again?

They'd probably be able to fit more songs into concerts if Bono spent less time crapping on during song intros (One and MD) and more time rocking out :rockon:

aussiedge said:

They'd probably be able to fit more songs into concerts if Bono spent less time crapping on during song intros (One and MD) and more time rocking out :rockon:

Or if they spent less time on songs that go nowhere such as Into The Heart & The Ocean.

I really do think its sad theyve rejected a good 6-7 years of there history this tour.

rjhbonovox said:

Excellent post.....the key word here ambitious. I think the album does get there it just didn't sell and thats the gripe U2 have with it now. It would be disastrous to hear what a re-working would be like. As I said beforethe key word about the 90's U2....... ambitious.... the key word since............ SALES!

Okay, whatever, even though the lads themselves have clearly said that they just didn't feel it worked, that they didn't finish it, you somehow know its all about *sales* now.
Know the setlist for Croke Park too?!:wink:

I just want to clarify Earnie Shaver's position though...

so, the beauty in Pop for you is the parallel between the themes (I agree with a lot of that...nicely stated) and the execution--the reaching and the not-quite-grasping in both? Thus, the beauty of Pop was therefore an accident, and *not* the boys' design, and if they had not had these "flaws" it would have not worked as well? Never mind the re-do, which I agree could never be the same, the context is so totally and forever changed...but that it wouldn't have worked the first time if they'd polished it up?
Again, that's hard to know too, since you can never be introduced to it for the first time again...

I agree that they were quite ambitious with Pop, and tried to pull off something that was really tricky to pull off but a totally valid and exciting idea. I also agree that what they've been trying to pull off with the last two albums are not so...hmm...not quite so big and layered and complex ideawise. But nor are they trite or uninteresting or soulless...goodness these evaluations I just don't get at all.

cheerio!

timothius said:

Or if they spent less time on songs that go nowhere such as Into The Heart & The Ocean.

I really do think its sad theyve rejected a good 6-7 years of there history this tour.

sorry to keep posting and posting...but wouldn't it really be the best-of jukebox if they didn't create their themes for the tour and try to stick to them? Zooropa was a very specific album I thought, time and place wise. And Pop just doesn't fit in with this theme of innocence and commentary on/about it, *or* with the doyourealize there's a war on theme, or with the but we're one world theme... i like staring at the sun and gone i really do. but where the fuck would it go and make any sense?!
I keep wondering if they could fit 'please' in somewhere.
but like earnieshavers says, if "if god will send his angels' is ultimately about reaching-not-quite-grasping hope, then where does it go in this set?
I also think that the boy songs really work on that innocence thing...some magic moments in the show for me, but it does require willingness to go along for that ride..

cheers..

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:

And Pop just doesn't fit in with this theme of innocence and commentary on/about it, *or* with the doyourealize there's a war on theme, or with the but we're one world theme... i like staring at the sun and gone i really do. but where the fuck would it go and make any sense?!
I keep wondering if they could fit 'please' in somewhere.
but like earnieshavers says, if "if god will send his angels' is ultimately about reaching-not-quite-grasping hope, then where does it go in this set?
I also think that the boy songs really work on that innocence thing...some magic moments in the show for me, but it does require willingness to go along for that ride..

But it's not so much the problem that the Pop or Zooropa songs don't fit the context, its the fact that they don't want them to fit the context.

I think we would agree that on the theme of innocence Mofo would fit perfectly. Lyrically, musically (with a more rocky interpritation of the song) and conceptually. Sure it's no Into The Heart... but hey I'm willing to take it.

Also Last Night On Earth... surely, surely, surely this song deserved more than one tour. It's heavy rock part would see it fit anywhere in the set from the LAPOE/SBS section to the Achtung portion. Once again, lyrically, conceptually and musically it perfectly fits in.

And obviously Please...

There are three songs that would easily fit into the set to explore the themes they are trying to display this tour. Thats not even looking into Zooropa. Which has Numb (War/Hopelessness portion), Lemon (Innocence), Dirty Day (Achtung Rock Out Extravagenza).

I'm not saying use all of them. I just feel they would be better served to acknowledge a more diverse range of music, from a wider range of periods, to explore similar themes.

I hope they do it just to piss off all the Pop fans here. It'll purge this place of so many whiner fans who care more about attidude than music that it could only be a good thing.

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:

I just want to clarify Earnie Shaver's position though...

so, the beauty in Pop for you is the parallel between the themes (I agree with a lot of that...nicely stated) and the execution--the reaching and the not-quite-grasping in both? Thus, the beauty of Pop was therefore an accident, and *not* the boys' design, and if they had not had these "flaws" it would have not worked as well? Never mind the re-do, which I agree could never be the same, the context is so totally and forever changed...but that it wouldn't have worked the first time if they'd polished it up?
Again, that's hard to know too, since you can never be introduced to it for the first time again...

Yes, basically a happy accident.

Here's how I saw Pop as a personal thing, in my life here in Australia. I loved the album from the first listen and it's only grown since then. It was very successful here (Overall the 4th highest selling album of 1997 in Australia). I saw an amazing Popmart show, a 50,000+ sellout, which had a very unique and special ending. The idea, the concept of both the album and the tour all made perfect sense to me. For me personally Pop reached and grabbed with both hands.

That doesn't mean I'm immune to the 'story' of Pop. The rushing to release it. It's apparent failure in the US. Popmarts failure in the US. The bands serious difficulties in dealing with that (which HAVE changed the course of U2 significantly - massively). I do remember the reviews coming from the US at the time, the reaction from many fans (this site was active then). The overall story of Pop, whether it's true for you individualy or not, is that it reached for something and didn't quite get there. It's not so much in the production, which as I said overall is excellent, but does have it's minor flaws (which spell 'rushed' - for one example, check the editing at the point in Staring at the Sun where Bono is singing "There's something missing/I left it in the duty free" - insignificantly minor, but there's a few of those on the album).

It's that overall story. Pop will forever go down as a point where U2 tripped up. Completely incorrect for me personally, but I can't change the image that the album has. U2's continual apologising for it as well, and always saying that it wasn't what they wanted it to be in the end. They themselves are basically saying, "We reached out, but didn't quite make it".

Considering that that to me is a theme that ties the whole album together, brings about a happy little accident where the overall story and image and minor flaws in that album all reflect EXACTLY what the album is on about. No, we'll never know what would have happened if they'd had their extra month in the studio, and I don't care. I'd bet if U2 had another month in the studio on every single one of their albums the result would be different. Especially with hindsight.

In the end I think that whether you see Pop as a perfect album, or a trip up, it all makes perfect sense. If you think Pop is flawed, there's a beauty in that too.

And what frustrates me the most is where the story goes after Pop.
ALL U2 albums up until Pop were an ambitious leap of faith. Pop was simply the largest.
They didn't quite get there, and they could have done two things....
a) "You can reach, but you can't grab it" - But we'll keep trying!
b) "You can reach, but you can't grab it" - F*ck it then, I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground from now on.

They have chosen (b) to such an extreme that they're now talking about going back in time and denying that they ever made the leap of faith! And there does definitely seem to be a new feeling about the band.

U2 pre Pop: Can we reach that? No idea. Want to go for it anyway? Absolutely.
U2 post Pop: If we are going to do anything, it must be well and truly within easy reach.

This is a new U2, and it's the new U2 that does not sit well with me and many others. That's what I'm talking about when I'm ranting about the core of U2, what defined them, and how and why they challenged their fans. They ARE compromising everything that made them U2 for the safety of never risking another trip up again.

MrBrau1 said:
I hope they do it just to piss off all the Pop fans here. It'll purge this place of so many whiner fans who care more about attidude than music that it could only be a good thing.

If you didnt have that cute baby avatar, I would e-bitchslap you right now.

:wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

U2 pre Pop: Can we reach that? No idea. Want to go for it anyway? Absolutely.
U2 post Pop: If we are going to do anything, it must be well and truly within easy reach.

How do you know Pop was harder for U2 to create than ATYCLB and HTDAAB?

MrBrau1 said:
How do you know Pop was harder for U2 to create than ATYCLB and HTDAAB?
yeah, you're right. conformity can be hard. :wink:

btw earnie i think i love you. even if i don't agree with what you say you word it in such a way that i possibly couldn't argue with you. :happy:

earnie is always right.

and mr. brau is always looking to stir shit, like me. the only difference is that i'm better at it, i'm quite good looking, and i have more friends.

:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom