MERGED--> U2/Superbowl + If U2 performed again on the Superbowl (2006)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
If U2 performed again on the Superbowl (2006)

What do you think the setlist would be?

City Of Blinding Lights
One
Vertigo

My bet would have been

Beautiful Day
Vertigo
One

...it worked at Live8, and no way on earth is Bono going to pass up the opportunity to make a One speech in front of 50 million people.

U2/Superbowl

The Rolling Stones(who, btw, have blatently ripped off of U2's stage design heart/elipse/whatever ideas) were awful during the halftime show of the Superbowl. Just awful. I'd rather watch the Aerosmith/NSync/Britney one from six years ago. And that is TRULY saying something because that too, was an awful Superbowl halftime show. U2, McCartney, and Sting have been the only decent/good/great Superbowl halftime performers in recent years.

ANYWAY, I was just thinking, U2 could've done it again this year, and played a set without any of the back catalog, something like...

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Fast Cars
Love And Peace Or Else

...all 'new' material and I have no doubt it still would've brought the house down, big time.

Certainly would've been better than the Stones.

Last edited:
Yah I was watching the game at an Imax theatre w/ about 150 people and the general reaction seemed to be pretty negative. I like the stones, but the mic was turned down way too much, you couldn't hear Mick Jagger and he needed to keep his jacket on. U2 could have done a much better job, preferably with these songs:

City of Blinding Lights
Elevation
Vertigo

I don't know about Fast Cars and Love and Peace would be sending the wrong message with the country at war right now. Bono can ask for money for aid, but he shouldn't be trying to make statements about war in front of 80 million Americans. I hope they get to do it in a couple years when their next album comes out, the 2002 performance was excellent. I have been asking around but no one has responded to me -- does anyone know where I can find that 2002 performance online? I used to be able to watch it but forgot the website it was on :scratch:

Having already done Beauitful Day at the superbowl...

Vertigo
All Because Of You

Two rockers, two "new" tracks.

Either that or :

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo

I dont see One fitting into something like halftime superbowl...they may as well do the first time acoustic.....

A U2 superbowl performance would probably look like...

COBL
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
(Fast Cars would be AWESOME)

Minus Fast Cars, it would be a boring set, but those songs are really, truly great.

The Stones were pretty terrible last night, but I think the sound system had a lot to do with it.

NO -leave Fast Cars!! I love that song...the crowd would have gone wild! I think the Stones are just not cutting it anymore. I have to say Mick looks good for his age, that man is old enough to be my Grandpa:ohmy: !!

Last edited:
Re: U2/Superbowl

namkcuR said:
The Rolling Stones(who, btw, have blatently ripped off of U2's stage design heart/elipse/whatever ideas)

'cause we all know u2 have never ripped off an idea from the stones...

preview21.jpg

stones_playing_on_a_flatbed_truck__fifth.jpg

cjboog said:
I like the stones, but the mic was turned down way too much, you couldn't hear Mick Jagger and he needed to keep his jacket on.

I don't think hearing Jagger would have made the performance any better.

I really don't think many people AT the actual game care about a half-time performance. Most everyone there was just standing and staring into space. Maybe we're biased as U2 fans and think somehow they would have pumped the crowd up, but I honestly don't think so unless they played their hits.

And no, Fast Cars would not get them up either, no one even knows that song. and while U2 fans (at least on this forum) enjoy the song, the casual football viewer that knows OF U2 would just be rolling their eyes at Bono's flamenco dancing and thinking "When are they gonna play Sunday Bloody Sunday?" I'm sorry but that's the truth.

Oh and yes, Mick Jagger was horrible. The actual BAND sounded decent, no problem there. But Mick prancing around in his shirt that wouldn't even fit Britney Spears, was just a joke. Please get this band off the stage already, I hope to God U2 doesn't become that way :uhoh:

catlhere said:
Oh and yes, Mick Jagger was horrible. The actual BAND sounded decent, no problem there. But Mick prancing around in his shirt that wouldn't even fit Britney Spears, was just a joke. Please get this band off the stage already, I hope to God U2 doesn't become that way :uhoh:

apparently we were listening to two different performances, because i felt the exact opposite... that the guitars were out of tune and not sounding right, but mick was just fine and dandy.

i saw the stones at giants stadium... they were tremendous. last night was not a true indication of how they are live. and bono can only hope that he's in as good shape as mick jagger is when he's in his mid 60s. the guy can still run around like a looney... bono's running on the ellipse was about half of what it was durring elevation, and he's only in his 40s.

I too thought the guitars/music/timing was just off a bit. It also seemed Mick was gasping for air. He was running around a lot, perhaps trying to do too much.

It was a very sub-par performance.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
vertigo
10 minute disertation by bono, complete with power point presentation
one
vertigo

:lmao:

They may have to charge an additional fee for the speech....

Last edited:
City of Blinding Lights
...Long intro ideal for entering the stage area
Pride (In The Name of Love)
...Allows short speach, and is a song the crowd can get into
Vertigo
...Another recognisable, high energy performance. Boni inserts the lyric "All of this, all of this can be yours, just give me the superbowl and no one gets hurt"

I read an article that the Stones performance, by MSN was negative, they compared it to U2's performance. They said "Unlike U2's performance 4 years ago, the Stones weren't performing at their peak." Or that they were peaking for that matter...

Like U2 kept rising, through the new tour and material. Whereas the Stones were just performing material that had been around for ages already. Nothing new, just touring over and over again.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and bono can only hope that he's in as good shape as mick jagger is when he's in his mid 60s. the guy can still run around like a looney... bono's running on the ellipse was about half of what it was durring elevation, and he's only in his 40s.

I am sorry, but I'll take subdued Bono over looney Bono a la Mick Jagger any day. The point isn't to see who can spaz out the most on stage... which is what Jagger appeared to be doing. It's great that he has tons of energy at his age, I'll give credit where it's due... but maybe he should channel that energy in a way which will further his performance and not leave you wondering "WTF?!" :huh: I just felt like he was running around aimlessly.

I watched U2's performance after seeing the Stones' last night...it just reminded me of what a great showman Bono is. He knows how to connect with the crowd and get them involved. He didn't have to do much running around to do it, either.

Back
Top Bottom