MERGED --> U2 - Instant Karma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've listened to it a few times and it hasn't really done anything for me. Green Day's version of Working Class Hero is awesome though.

Have been listening to the whole album and many of thee covers have grown on me. Christina Aguileria's Mother is really something, and I love REM's #9 Dream. Green Day's Working Class Hero is terrific, Regina Spector's Real Love is beautifully haunting. I could go on....just buy it!

and U2's Instant Karma:drool:

Last edited:
U2's Instant Karma

I was in a movie multiplex the other day. As I walked to the actually theater, I heard the overhead speaker say, "And that was U2's version of 'Instant Karma' now featured on...". I silently cursed as I missed the song and didn't hear any of it.

So, is this Lennon tribute album out? Is the U2 song the "lead single"? Are others hearing this?

Has this been discussed? If so, please merge my post with another thread. Thank you! :wave:

thanks Bonochick for the redirect... (so hard to keep track of the sections round here) ;-)

hmm... i just bought it on iTunes, and i wanted to buy Lennon's original for comparison's sake... but see that most Lennon/ Beatles is not on iTunes ;-/

I think I have to say I like the music and passion on the original better (sorry U2) but without a version of the original, it's hard to be more specific...

I agree about the drumming though- that's one thing about the original that is, well, ORIGINAL, that Larry doesn't improve upon...

I don't think the U2 version is bad, but I think it was better live.

I also think Duran Duran's iTunes-only bonus track was better than U2's. How come we have to suffer through two versions of Imagine on the official CD, but don't get two versions of the superior covers of Instant Karma?

:grumpy:

Because we will always be made to pay extra for something good.

I didn't know there was a Duran Duran version :ohmy:

Yeah, it's available on iTunes as an extra track.

There was also a 2-track disc that came free with my purchase of the CD. It was The Cure and the Raveonettes. I'd never even heard of either of the Lennon songs, and honestly, both covers bored me to tears.

Wow that's cool that you got that bonus disc, even if it wasn't very good. I didn't get one! Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check out the DD song.

I think the way U2 did Instant Karma in a low key, tight way is terrific. It's a very mature.

I don't like it very much. Good idea, but the moment I saw the words 'Avril Lavigne' and 'Imagine' together I just lost all in faith in music for a few moments.

What a disgusting cover.

^I agree. I bought the CD a while ago and must say that my favourite track is Green Day's Working Class Hero. I quite like U2's version of Instant Karma, it's growing on me now, though I still feel Bono has a weird voice, like he's singing under water or something. But it's the best version of Instant Karma on the CD. Most other tracks are bad, the two Imagine covers are simply horrible. I cannot believe they let these people cover and kill John Lennon's songs. Good intentions, though.

Green Day's Working Class Hero is the best song on the whole album.
U2's cover is good also. Way better than most of the other artists on the cd.

Top 3 tracks:

- Working Class Hero
- Instant Karma
- Jealous Guy

last unicorn said:
^I agree. I bought the CD a while ago and must say that my favourite track is Green Day's Working Class Hero. I quite like U2's version of Instant Karma, it's growing on me now, though I still feel Bono has a weird voice, like he's singing under water or something. But it's the best version of Instant Karma on the CD. Most other tracks are bad, the two Imagine covers are simply horrible. I cannot believe they let these people cover and kill John Lennon's songs. Good intentions, though.

:up:

I mean, does Yoko Ono have disfunctioning ears? How could you let Avril Lavigne cover Imagine? :yuck:

I should think so. And hope so. I like to think that Imagine isn't quite the sacred cow that so many hold it to be.

I'm still waiting for a GOOD cover, however. One that makes me want to listen to the song at all. :wink:

Is the USA version of the album different to the Aussie one? Mine is 2 discs with Instant Karma by three artists (U2, Duran, and Tokio Hotel). I reckon the Duran version is the best. I also :heart: "Love" by The Cure, and "Jealous Guy" by Youssou N'Dour :drool: , and "Losing You" by Corrine Bailey Rae (whoever she is?)

Disc 1
1. U2 - Instant Karma
2. r.e.m. - #9 Dream
3. christina Aguilera - Mother
4. aerosmith Featuring Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars - Give Peace A Chance
5. lenny Kravitz - Cold Turkey
6. the Cure - Love
7. corinne Bailey Rae - I’m Losing You
8. jakob Dylan Featuring Dhani Harrison - Gimme Some Truth
9. jackson Browne - Oh, My Love
10. raveonettes - One Day At A Time
11. avril Lavigne - Imagine
12. big & Rich - Nobody Told Me
13. eskimo Joe - Mind Games
14. youssou N’dour - Jealous Guy
Disc 2
1. Green Day - Working Class Hero
2. black Eyed Peas - Power To The People
3. jack Johnson - Imagine
4. ben Harper - Beautiful Boy
5. snow Patrol - Isolation
6. matisyahu - Watching The Wheels
7. postal Service - Grow Old With Me
8. jaguares - Gimme Some Truth
9. the Flaming Lips - (Just Like) Starting Over
10. jack’s Mannequin Featuring Mick Fleetwood - God
11. a-ha - #9 Dream
12. tokio Hotel - Instant Karma
13. regina Spektor - Real Love

Last edited:
^ I have the very same CD (living in Europe), I also like R. E. M.'s version of #9 dream and Youssou N'Dour version of "Jealous Guy", mostly because it's so unusual and sung in his own language. Of all three Instant Karma versions I prefer U2's after all, the Duran Duran one just isn't growing on me. All in all, the album could have been so much better.

Shag On A Rock said:
Is the USA version of the album different to the Aussie one? Mine is 2 discs with Instant Karma by three artists (U2, Duran, and Tokio Hotel). I reckon the Duran version is the best. I also :heart: "Love" by The Cure, and "Jealous Guy" by Youssou N'Dour :drool: , and "Losing You" by Corrine Bailey Rae (whoever she is?)

Yes the USA version is different! :ohmy:

Disc one doesn't have The Cure - Love, Raveonettes - One Day At A Time, and Eskimo Joe - Mind Games, but it does have Los Lonely Boys - Whatever Gets You Throught the Night.

Disc Two doesn't have a-ha - #9 Dream or Tokio Hotel - Instant Karma.

And of course no Duran Duran Instant Karma.

So it's missing 6, but has 1 added.

:angry:

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
^ I have the very same CD (living in Europe), I also like R. E. M.'s version of #9 dream and Youssou N'Dour version of "Jealous Guy", mostly because it's so unusual and sung in his own language. Of all three Instant Karma versions I prefer U2's after all, the Duran Duran one just isn't growing on me. All in all, the album could have been so much better.

Youssou N'Dour steals my breath on a regular basis. His version of Jealous Guy is no exception :drool:

Who is this Corrinne chick? Does she have an album? Is it any good? She sounds fab on this CD :up:

Shag On A Rock said:
Can I swap you a-ha for Los Lonely Boys?

Its morning here and Im about to go out for the day but I'll be back.

Could you send me the tracks I'm missing as well?

I think corianderstem has you covered for Los Lonely Boys.

vertigo624 at sbcglobal.net

Back
Top Bottom