MERGED ----> U2 has finally sold out + On selling out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GibsonExplorer

War Child
U2 has finally sold out

After listening to the new album and witnessing the whoring of themselves on TV commercials and lucrative business partnerships, I have came to the conclusion that U2 is no longer the band that deserves my respect or my money. To hear U2 recycle old sounds and songs makes me feel ill. To see U2 on television pushing IPods is even worse.

Can't wait to hear the wisecracks and the insults from U2's fans, who used to be a smarter bunch, but now are replaced by mindless teens and 20-somethings who obviously have no clue about music beyond U2. Anyway, I'm out of this blue dump. No need to leave a clever message like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

I agree m8, but I have been constantly slagged for saying so. They have different principles now than they did 7 years ago and that is for sure, and the music ain't one of them.

I don't think they are selling out. For the iPods, I see it as them pushing something they actually really like... not just advertising something just to do it. We all know how the edge is a techno buff... I'm sure he was a driving force, even though Larry doesn't know how to work one lol.

Re: U2 has finally sold out

GibsonExplorer said:
To hear U2 recycle old sounds and songs makes me feel ill.

Same here. Personally i feel the all i-pod connection is a good move on their part (although in the UK we haven't really been exposed to the commercial so it hasn't driven me crazy) but all the O.C/CSI stuff is pretty low for a band like U2. THey'll be appearing on GMTV next.

rjhbonovox said:
I agree m8, but I have been constantly slagged for saying so. They have different principles now than they did 7 years ago and that is for sure, and the music ain't one of them.

then leave please, and let us enjoy the new album in peace.

People have been saying they've sold out since 1992. People said Bob Dylan sold out upon switching out of acoustic folk to rock to country. That accusation is certainly nothing new.

Well, whatever. It's your decision, and I don't know you or care about you enough to berate you. There's plenty of good, non-commercial music out there if you look hard enough (most of my music collection these days would never hit the airwaves). But I met a friend a little over a year ago who embraced commercial music so much to the degree that I recognized the separate "art" that it is, even if it is vastly different from the non-commercial realm. I believe it is certainly possible that both can co-exist separately and peacefully, but I also know that many people cannot handle the thought of their "favorite band" being embraced by the masses. It's your decision, regardless. Have fun.

Melon

good post melon! the only thing that bugs me about these new album haters is that the only backing they have to their arguments is "omfg!!11 u lik evreething u2 do!!11".

mikal said:

When you see the light you will see the light I suppose. I have and for the past twenty years this band could do no wrong, absolutely no wrong in my eyes, I even defended the last album but this has totally opened my eyes. Bono used to be my all time hero but to see how he has become and some of the things he now says he is quickly going down in my estimation. If you asked Bono 10 years ago "Hey wanna appear at half time in the superbowl, Bono?" get the fuc# outta here would have been his swift and short reply!:wink:

Lil'Bono said:
If you are so against the band, well why are you still here?
Exactly.

I think HDTAAB has many innovative elements. I don't see it as a rehashing at all.

"see the light"? actually, i'm using my ears, and i love what i hear out of the new album.

May I suggest hip-hop. There souls are as pure as their intentions and they never sell out.

I do see their last two albums as far more overtly commercial, yes, but I also see it as one of their last great challenges in music. How do you make "commercial" music "relevant"? I think they've done a pretty good job at taking on that challenge, even if I continue my criticism that ATYCLB is a little too bland for my tastes.

Melon

Re: U2 has finally sold out

GibsonExplorer said:
Anyway, I'm out of this blue dump. No need to leave a clever message like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

You said it for me thanks! oh and buh bye :wave:

OnFire said:
May I suggest hip-hop. There souls are as pure as their intentions and they never sell out.

It's probably the most innovative genre of music in America these days. Just ignore all the crap that hits the radio waves, and they need to abandon all that "bling bling" crap. It's as old and overdone as their "gangsta" phase of the early to mid 1990s.

Melon

mikal said:

You can not enjoy the album when ppl say it's not that good? How childish is that...

Another thing: why do you reply and read those "negative U2 posts" if they hurt you so much? I think you are the one who should quit reading those posts mate.

Like you say, kthxsbye!:wave:

fair enough.

2 things:

bear in mind all the fallacies that are built into the 'selling out' concept.

and,

keep in mind that U2 are operating in a very different entertainment content landscape than they were even in the 90s. the image is one of 4 friends in a band but realistically they are a brand.

U2 are a big (very big) band it's not like they started flogging i-pods in 1983.............. cross-promotion:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

When you see the light you will see the light I suppose. I have and for the past twenty years this band could do no wrong, absolutely no wrong in my eyes, I even defended the last album but this has totally opened my eyes. Bono used to be my all time hero but to see how he has become and some of the things he now says he is quickly going down in my estimation. If you asked Bono 10 years ago "Hey wanna appear at half time in the superbowl, Bono?" get the fuc# outta here would have been his swift and short reply!:wink:

ok, that's your point of view...U2 have just produced their best effort in 10 years (from Zoorpoa: the best U2 album IMO) and the half time show at the superbowl was great: i only look for music when i spend my money...that's mine.

BTW Bono got much more from shaking the right hands (politicians' hands) than from singing social anger...that's a fact and i think that African people aren't worryed that Bono lost the appreciation of some of his fans by acting like that (and i0m not worryed too...those are the selfish fans)

Last edited:
Sounds like somebody has gone into the obsessive fan crazed mode.

Its just an album and an Ipod connection buddy !!!,, Its not the end of the world.

I didn't think the ipod ad were selling out
I didn't think the rumoured tour sponsorship was selling out
I didn't think that promoting songs on such classics as CSI and the OC was selling out.
I didn't think that selling 3 different versions of the album (none complete, you can't get a version of the album with the lyrics and the book)
I didn't think that hawking $150 for 25 new songs to committed fans was selling out (although I found it to be pretty exploitative and demeaning to long-term fans)
I didn't think the NSYNC-esque online "fan club" at $40 per year was selling out (although again it is taking advantage of fans desperate for what will be very expensive tickets)

But adding it up, it seems however good the album is, and it a good album, the boys are out to fleece as much money from the fans as they can get, if that's not selling out, I don't know what is.

It just pains me to see such narrow-minded fans who are too immature to embrace the bands decisions. The whole indie rock attitude in here makes me sick. To you say that their principles are misplaced is ignorant and just silly. Aside from millions of people around the world who absoultely love the new album, those who are not fans are to be targeted with all this new promotion. The more people U2 can reach the better Bono can get out his message. You may not agree with his message, but then no one really cares do they? IS it wrong for Bono to use his possition as a celebrity if it help him get things done in Africa and around the world? It's better than 99.9% of celebrities out there who sit in their mansions all year just buying shit and doing nothing important with theier lives. So I'm sorry if U2 has gotten too commercial for you, but I figure it's better for all of us. Longer tours, more videos/TV performances etc. And they more people U2 reaches the happier they are, and the more albums they will make. You don't have to like this album or the last one, and if you don't believe in what they are doing these days then leave. Because this IS a U2 fansite afterall isn't it. And if you aren't a fan anymore...then...well, makes sense to me.

rjhbonovox said:

Yep, completely different principles...

For example, they never gave a free concert before - oh wait, they did in L.A. in 1987.

Well, the never associated with corporations before - oh wait, they did with MTV, VH-1, K-Mart, Target, and Best Buy from 1984 through 2001.

Well, they certainly never appeared on a commercial playing their music - oh wait, they did, when they advertised the "Best Of" in 1998.

Well, they never appeared on so many TV shows playing their music now like they did then - oh wait, they did many times in the past, as way back as 1980.

Well, they never charged so much for their music - but wait, the new album costs only $7.99 at Best Buy (and as a long time music fan, this was the price of albums back in the 70's!!!) and one can download a whopping 450 songs for $150 - that's $0.33 per song - cheaper than the 70's when a 45 rpm cost a $1 for 2 songs.

Well, their music seems recycled and stale now - but wait, wasn't "War" just a fine-tuning of "Boy" and "October"? Wasn't JT a fine-tuning of UF? Wasn't R&H essentially JT-Part 2? Wasn't "Zooropa" AB-Part 2? Or was that "Pop"?

Well, they certainly never looked as ridiculous - except for the mullets, the whole ZOO TV image and the whole shaved head "Pop" image.

Every single argument you make, I've heard. I've been a fan since 1983. I've played on on-line U2 forums and newsgroups starting in 1993. And all the arguments I hear now, I heard then. In 1988, people said R&H was too dark and not original. In 1992, people said "U2 sold out".

It seems to me that it's not U2 who has lost their originality or sold out - rather, it's the fans. The same arguments year after year. And yet, amazingly, here you are playing on a U2 fan site, buying the music and I bet you'll be in line for concert tickets. Funny how that works.

Can't wait to hear you bitch about the concert ticket prices (something that also started in 1988), Bono's voice (something that started in 1987, and really earlier with his rather weak vocals on "War"), or their concert performances (again, something people bitched about plenty in 1987 when they couldn't see U2 if they were anywhere but the front row).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom