MERGED ----> U2 has finally sold out + On selling out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm already sick of the bashing/bitching, what have you.

If you think the band has sold out, then why are you here? Let the rest of us who don't think so enjoy the rollercoaster ride that's already begun in peace.

Guess we should all ready ourselves, the setlist bashing will be next.... :tsk:

oh my god i see your posts and i just keep thinking that this is a discussioon betwen kids or people that do not see nothing in front of your eyes, maybe because you are mostly americans and i just think that not the better thing for inteligence.
but let me try to show you somethings obvious: u2 are trying to be the biggest band in the world , more they are trying to became one of the biggest of all times maybe as big as the beatles, that's there dream from the beggining, and they do not have much more time to achiev that, for that to hapen they need to sell the bigger number of records possible, to have the nº1 hits possible, to be played and talked about in biggest number possible of media, to have the bigger number of gramys possible and they just can do it making popular, mainstream kind of music.
they never would do it if they were a cult band and make alternative music. have said that it's important to say that have been doing that in a way no one have done it, with a quality no one have, with a type of sound no one else have and in this record they do it better than ever. they are so bigg now butt they can't please everybody in all world, who don't like it have that right but please just be smart and stay with that for yourself if you do not have enything inteligent to say.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

omg!!111 they shuld play for 3 hours insted of 2!!!111 i hait U2!!!11

Is there any way those of you who think the band has sold out could kindly forward your fanclub seats to the rest of us? Thnx.

anitram said:
Is there any way those of you who think the band has sold out could kindly forward your fanclub seats to the rest of us? Thnx.

that is a great idea! maybe i could collect 3 of those $50 coupons too.

joaoricardo said:
oh my god i see your posts and i just keep thinking that this is a discussioon betwen kids or people that do not see nothing in front of your eyes, maybe because you are mostly americans and i just think that not the better thing for inteligence.
but let me try to show you somethings obvious: u2 are trying to be the biggest band in the world , more they are trying to became one of the biggest of all times maybe as big as the beatles, that's there dream from the beggining, and they do not have much more time to achiev that, for that to hapen they need to sell the bigger number of records possible, to have the nº1 hits possible, to be played and talked about in biggest number possible of media, to have the bigger number of gramys possible and they just can do it making popular, mainstream kind of music.
they never would do it if they were a cult band and make alternative music. have said that it's important to say that have been doing that in a way no one have done it, with a quality no one have, with a type of sound no one else have and in this record they do it better than ever. they are so bigg now butt they can't please everybody in all world, who don't like it have that right but please just be smart and stay with that for yourself if you do not have enything inteligent to say.

The Beatles were a cultural phenomenon for many reasons, not based on their music alone. U2 will never reach Beatles type popularity based on popularity alone, U2 could only come close to the Beatles on music technicality. And they just might have done that in the span of over 20 years. U2 like The Beatles managed to make interesting music and evolve as a band. And U2 like The Beatles ended up returning to their rock roots after they did all their expirimental stuff.

U2 have done a lot and been a lot of things. U2 were the cult band, U2 were the cool indie band, U2 were the college rock band, U2 were the band that shunned media, U2 were the band that embraced the media, U2 were the band that destroyed their own image, U2 were the band that made fun of themselves, U2 have done a lot.

That's why it's funny to me that people sometimes question U2's decisions, I wonder if they even really paid attention to the band for more than 5 years. Because after being a fan for over 15 years like myself, it's not too shocking to see U2 do something that is not typical of U2. Could we expect anything less from U2?

mikal said:

that is a great idea! maybe i could collect 3 of those $50 coupons too.

Yes.

It might be v. helpful to me in order to see the light. If I could only have more crappy U2 material (imagine how shitty the unreleased songs are when they weren't even good enough for a commercial, Americanized, dumbed down album), maybe I would finally realize the error of my ways.

Please help me.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Nah, that's a ways away. We have the tour announcement to look forward to:

Ticket prices
venues
cities
countries

There a whole lot of bitchin to look forward to before the setlist bashing begins.

anitram said:

Yes.

It might be v. helpful to me in order to see the light. If I could only have more crappy U2 material (imagine how shitty the unreleased songs are when they weren't even good enough for a commercial, Americanized, dumbed down album), maybe I would finally realize the error of my ways.

Please help me.

oh. and the design of the coupon better be exactly how i imagined or i'll rip someone's head off!

Once upon a time, U2 were competing against REM, Massive Attack, Manic Street Preachers, Jane's Addiction, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, Nine Inch Nails etc etc etc

Now they are competing against Britney Spears...

They should be competing at least with Interpol... Ahhh not really... Interpol doesn't make songs to the Ol' Uncle Joe... Cause Interpol make exactly the songs they want to make (like Radiohead)... So post-2000 U2 could not compete with them...
:huh:

U2_Guy said:
Once upon a time, U2 were competing against REM, Massive Attack, Manic Street Preachers, Jane's Addiction, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, Nine Inch Nails etc etc etc

They should be competing at least with Interpol... Ahhh not really... Interpol doesn't make songs to the Ol' Uncle Joe... Cause Interpol make exactly the songs they want to make (like Radiohead)... So post-2000 U2 could not compete with them...

that's not U2's fault. that's the music industry's fault.

Re: U2 has finally sold out

GibsonExplorer said:
After listening to the new album and witnessing the whoring of themselves on TV commercials and lucrative business partnerships, I have came to the conclusion that U2 is no longer the band that deserves my respect or my money. To hear U2 recycle old sounds and songs makes me feel ill. To see U2 on television pushing IPods is even worse.

Can't wait to hear the wisecracks and the insults from U2's fans, who used to be a smarter bunch, but now are replaced by mindless teens and 20-somethings who obviously have no clue about music beyond U2. Anyway, I'm out of this blue dump. No need to leave a clever message like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

I resent the fact that you classify teen and 20-something fans in that way. Shows ignorance on your part if you can write people off so quickly.

"The Beatles were a cultural phenomenon for many reasons, not based on their music alone. U2 will never reach Beatles type popularity based on popularity alone, U2 could only come close to the Beatles on music technicality. And they just might have done that in the span of over 20 years. U2 like The Beatles managed to make interesting music and evolve as a band. And U2 like The Beatles ended up returning to their rock roots after they did all their expirimental stuff.

U2 have done a lot and been a lot of things. U2 were the cult band, U2 were the cool indie band, U2 were the college rock band, U2 were the band that shunned media, U2 were the band that embraced the media, U2 were the band that destroyed their own image, U2 were the band that made fun of themselves, U2 have done a lot.

That's why it's funny to me that people sometimes question U2's decisions, I wonder if they even really paid attention to the band for more than 5 years. Because after being a fan for over 15 years like myself, it's not too shocking to see U2 do something that is not typical of U2. Could we expect anything less from U2?"

finaly something interesting and inteligent in this thread.
i agree with you in allmost everything, but the thing is what the band and their "entourage" are after and not what you think it's rigth or not, because we do not have the truth just our truth with all the subjectivity on it and somethings just the futur will say
but for now just enjoy the present and take the better from it and this album can help you on that because it have great stuff just opens your ears and heart

I don't think U2 are competing against Spears anymore, she's kind of done with.

And U2 are competing with whoever is making popular rock music right now. Interpol falling into that catagory is therefore their competition. Just like The Killers, and any other rock band right now.

Interpol might be making the music they want to make but they're still on a commercial label and still have to get songs on the air and still get video airplay so they have to make music that pleases themselve that also pleases the music buyer.

That still applies to U2 and they've had 25 years of experience doing it.

Re: Re: U2 has finally sold out

beau2ifulday said:

I resent the fact that you classify teen and 20-something fans in that way. Shows ignorance on your part if you can write people off so quickly.

Wow, I had already forgotten what had started this thread to begin with.

I think most of you are analyzing this way too much.

Just enjoy the music and remember that, at its heart, U2 is just a group of guys who like to play music together and make people happy. Along the way, they might decide to "stand for something," so-to-speak, or be innovative for innovation's sake. Don't ridicule them too much for it. They're only humans, and I think U2 would be the first to tell you that (despite their desire to be the biggest band in the world).

If you are truly expecting them to be 25 years into their career in pop music and still like they were in 1986 or 1995, then you are holding them to a standard that is too high.

All artists, in every genre, that have lasted this long change and mellow with age. Why can't U2 do the same? The cool thing with them is that when you go see them in a show they can pull from dozens of their own songs, play for hours, and no one would get tired. It is amazing to hear their diversity.

And they don't take themselves too seriously.

After looking at this thread, it's amazing to see how many of the fans who have been U2 fans for over 15 years dissagree that U2 has sold out. I've only been a fan for about 3 years, so I don't know if I have the right to say anything because I haven't even been alive long enough to witness many U2 releases, or remember them anyway.

U2's album Zooropa (which I personally think is a crap album) was entirely recycled songs, and people seem to think it was a good album? U2 was probably my least favorite band after they went through what I like to call "being posers" durring Zooropa and Pop. They were sell outs then. Their music wasn't even rock and roll, it was more like ghetto techno pop. With ATYCLB, U2 started to seem like more of the band it was back from when it started, until Achtung Baby. I've been praying since last year that HTDAAB wouldn't be another experimental album, and I'm very glad it's not.

About the IPod statement....It's really hard for any rock and roll band these days to get any attention w/o doing something big, pop and hip hop seem to be taking over, I think the IPod deal was brilliant because maybe it will attract new fans who realize how good U2 is compared to the lame hip hop music out there now.

U2_Guy said:

I'd like to point out that REM haven't been able to keep up, I don't know what happened to Massive Attack or Manic Street Preachers, they were never huge here in the states, Pearl Jam faded away, Radiohead just makes albums now that sell strong but drop off the charts due to them not caring, Jane's Addiction have not been relevant since 1990, Oasis are done here, NIN are done, Blur went away with Oasis and are non existent here in the states only to people that care.

But U2 still exist and are making vital music. I guess the vital thing is subjective. But to me there is still a sense of urgency and importance to U2 and their music and that is why they still stand tall over that list of bands that came and went, or still linger around.

If you U2 turn into Paul McCartney (that i love) or The Stones i'd rather see them retired now.

If you are dry and have nothing else to "say" just quit. Or if you "can't say it better". Don't release records with hits just to sell loads and go travelling playing the old stuff.

Believe me, for a band like U2 is eaaaaasy to make a hit record every now and them without much effort. Actually, they are doing it since 2000. It's formulaic music (like the Stones). You can go on like this forever.

So ID, you believe they were sell outs because because you didn't like the Zooropa or Pop albums? Because the music was like "ghetto techno pop"?

Ok.

david said:

I'd like to point out that REM haven't been able to keep up, I don't know what happened to Massive Attack or Manic Street Preachers, they were never huge here in the states, Pearl Jam faded away, Radiohead just makes albums now that sell strong but drop off the charts due to them not caring, Jane's Addiction have not been relevant since 1990, Oasis are done here, NIN are done, Blur went away with Oasis and are non existent here in the states only to people that care.

But U2 still exist and are making vital music. I guess the vital thing is subjective. But to me there is still a sense of urgency and importance to U2 and their music and that is why they still stand tall over that list of bands that came and went, or still linger around.

Posts like this prove my point... You can only say "here in the states". That's it, U2's making music for you at "the states" mate. That's why they are "relevant" there with the last couple albums.

U2_Guy said:

Posts like this prove my point... You can only say "here in the states". That's it, U2's making music for you at "the states" mate. That's why they are "relevant" there with the last couple albums.

Judging by the membership on these boards, I'd have to say they're relevant to a lot more folks than just those "here in the states".

U2 have always made albums for the states. The Joshua Tree was going to be called The Two Americas.

Sure, U2 did make some Europeon flavored albums with Achtung Baby and Zooropa..

I don't think the UK has turned their back on U2 either. I mean, aren't they one of the founding members of the new UK music hall of fame?

Unfortunately, U2's no longer artistically relevant. They were till the MDH. But that was it.

They are not doing anything relevant since 2000.

It's like The Stones or Paul McCartney: they are still there playing and making music (very good music), but they are no longer relevant.

The last 2 albums are very good for any regular standards. But they are not good for U2 standards. And they are certainly not good to the "relevant" standard.

U2_Guy said:
Unfortunately, U2's no longer artistically relevant. They were till the MDH. But that was it.

They are not doing anything relevant since 2000.

It's like The Stones or Paul McCartney: they are still there playing and making music (very good music), but they are no longer relevant.

The last 2 albums are very good for any regular standards. But they are not good for U2 standards. And they are certainly not good to the "relevant" standard.

May I ask, who do you consider to be relevent in today's music scene?
I think you've really nailed it on the head there :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately what seems to be artistically relevent these days is songs with obtuse lyrics, unstructured songs, bands that are horribly derivitive of acts that came before them that were hugely popular until they were deemed non-relevant.

beau2ifulday said:

May I ask, who do you consider to be relevent in today's music scene?
I think you've really nailed it on the head there :)

I can only think of Radiohead and Interpol (and some underground electronic acts).

But normally i expect U2 to be THE relevant band. That's the problem.

U2 can be relevant, it's up to you I guess. I personally could care less if the UK music press thinks U2 are darlings anymore. U2 are relevant to me not because of popularity or albums sales but because of their music and the issues that Bono takes on his lyrics.

With the new U2 album I still find content and relevance.

I also realize that U2 have a long heavy career behind them and they've done it all. They did things that Radiohead and Interpol are doing now, they did it back in the 80's. I listened to the new Interpol today because I like them, I also hear their influences too. I was reminded of Boy in some of the songs off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom