Merged ----> U2 filming new video this week? + Report about the Electrical Storm vid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamanthaPuff

War Child
U2 filming new video this week?

I've been reading online that U2 will be filming a video for the Electric Storm in the south of France this week. If it's true, I'm sure we will see and hear more soon. Please post updates if anybody hears any news! Thanks!

I also read this, according to what they are saying (www.u2news.de), U2 ist making the Video between the 19. and the 22..

The same source says that they have remixed there (in the south of france) three songs (Disco, Numb and Lemon), probably for the Best of Album, cause I've heard that all songs on that album will be remixed....

As of yet, these are unconfirmed reports based on rumor. I try not to post rumors in our News section.

For the time being, I'll hold out until I can see some hard facts about this story.

~HA :angel:

Now this raise an interesting question.

Is U2 remixing songs as a part of the B-side of a new single or they will actually re do it andput on the album.Numb makes sense, cause they'd like it to be a tad shorter for average fans.

Whatever the case maybe, I am sure we are technically going to hear more than 2 new songs from the Best Of release.By technically I mean, if its a new mix then it means that its a new song in essence.

my 0.02 $s

please , i hope won't try to delete and remake pop and zooropa , it's a sin

shit , now they destroy all thier work from zooropa and pop , or make it " for average audience , better " ?????!!!!!!!!!!! well ....:mad: :mad: :huh:

I know this is only a rumor but ZOOROPA is a masterpiece in many ways.Its the most advanced album of its time, it changed the way music was written in the 90s and gave rock community something to thinkabout.It would be shame if we get a "poppier" ZOOROPA or POP.But if they can do some forward progression, I'd take it as a different flavour.But as the good old American Management saying goes "why fix it, if it aint broke"

ishkash said:
Its the most advanced album of its time, it changed the way music was written in the 90s

Hmmmmm.

I seriously question that assertion about Zooropa. I'm curious as to whether many other people who love Zooropa would agree?

I'm not trying to be rude, Ishkash, I just totally disagree with you :D Can you tell me why you would say that about Zooropa?

If you want progressive albums of the 90's, I'd say OK Computer is far ahead of Zooropa, frankly, even though Radiohead is far behind U2 for me for how much I like those two bands.

Oh, and hi, Samantha :wave:

Tarik said:
they have remixed three songs (Disco, Numb and Lemon)
wtf? lemon's already been remixed to death imo. actually, all of them have several remixes (that i know of) ... why didn't they just pick songs they haven't really touched? oh well...

Why you like Radiohead and U2 is none of my business.As for ZOOROPA, I think I said "of its time". Implying when it was recorded and subsequently released most of the material on the album wasnt anything like the way rock music was written at that time,and rock music hadnt witnessed anything like that.The use of guitar samples and ambient piano melodies with hip-hop grove were a bit of a novelty.It wasnt like U2 invented a new genre, but U2 tried to open a new direction for themselves.Rock is like a territory and often the space is limited to take your car into a new grazing ground.When a band discovers a new grazing ground then the others tend to follow.Then that ground gets saturated and someone else drives his car into a new green.Those who disover it first they get credited for that.U2 did it and thats why I give them credit for doing that.

I get a little nervous with remixes. However, then I thought about how differently the band approached The Fly on this tour. If they did something like that with Lemon (a song I personally can't stand) I'd be all for it.

Also, I think U2 has some unfinished business with Zooropa and Pop. I don't think they consider either album finished as of yet. As artists, they want to keep tweeking them until they feel each song is complete.

And for all you Zooropa and Pop lovers out there, did you ever ask yourself why they're not remixing JT, AB or ATYCLB? Hhhhmmmmmm...

I love zooropa as a whole, but heres my opinion on the individual tracks:
1. zooropa: excellent, trippy, mysterious, powerful 2nd half.
2. babyface: nah, ironic is cool and all, but this tune is kinda boring.
3. numb: nice attempt at a nine inch nails song, but really not a fav of mine.
4. lemon: excellent, david bowie-esque/weird elton john meets prince on acid.
5. stay: beutiful. 'nuff said
6. daddy's: ok, but more coulda been done with it
7. some days: I sometimes wished this tune just rocked a little more.
8. first time: beutiful. 'nuff said
9. dirty day: yeah....like a western set in the shadow of doomsday
10. wanderer: you either think its genius or pure crap.
I lean towards the genius.
:macdevil:

Rumours, rumours...something I got from U2Portugal...now it?s on @U2 site, column of the record:

"Here's one from the rumor mill. A fan in Portugal emailed to let us know that Portuguese Radio Comercial has reported that U2 is not sure about including "Miss Sarajevo" on the upcoming Best of 1990-2000 album, and that they may slip the song in as a "hidden track", similarly to how "October" was added to The Best of 1980-1990. "

Well thats a interesting one.I always thought that Theme for Mission Impossible would be a perfect hidden track

wolfwill23 said:

And for all you Zooropa and Pop lovers out there, did you ever ask yourself why they're not remixing JT, AB or ATYCLB? Hhhhmmmmmm...

Just for the record my fave of all time is ATYCLB.But ZOOROPA and POP are the reason why I ite them so much.Confusion and Clarity, togeather they work well.But when I say I like U2 its a no-division love, everything from 78 to current date is included ;)

Now for the rest of the night I'd be thinking why U2 arent "redoing" (remixing is a bit misleading) JT, AB or ATYCLB.I know why not for JT, cause Eno was still disgusted with Streets and he wiped off all the masters of JT :uhoh:

Last edited:
I hope, though, that if they do remix those songs on Zooropa, they still write new material for a new album. I think that us most important.:tongue:

Re: U2 filming new video this week?

SamanthaPuff said:
I've been reading online that U2 will be filming a video for the Electric Storm in the south of France this week. If it's true, I'm sure we will see and hear more soon. Please post updates if anybody hears any news! Thanks!

Really?

Woohoo!

This is good news, assuming it's true. :yes:.

As for the discussion going on remixes...normally, I am not fond of remixes of songs. Especially if a song is already danceable...I figure, what's the point? And if it isn't meant to be all danceable, then leave it alone.

But with these remixes...I'll give 'em a listen and see what happens. If they can manage to remix songs from "Zooropa" and "Pop" and still make them sound great...then go for it. :).

Angela

Originally posted by follower

"Here's one from the rumor mill. A fan in Portugal emailed to let us know that Portuguese Radio Comercial has reported that U2 is not sure about including "Miss Sarajevo" on the upcoming Best of 1990-2000 album, and that they may slip the song in as a "hidden track", similarly to how "October" was added to The Best of 1980-1990. "

i was hoping it would be Ground Beneath Her Feet. :wave:

wolfwill23 said:

Because for each of those, they had piles and piles of time to finish and tweak the albums to their satisfaction. I'll readily admit that they didn't have this luxury of time with Zooropa or Pop (although they were under no outside pressure to release Zooropa when they did, so I'd venture to say they were pretty damn happy with it as is). Because of this, perhaps they want to take the extra time to see where they could have taken those songs if they'd had the time the first time around. But I take exception to the implication (and if this was not what you intended to imply, I apologize) that they are remixing them because they were unhappy with the way they originally turned out. Just because they see more potential in these songs doesn't mean there was something wrong with them in the first place.

you know one thing I'm tired of is people saying how POP would've been better if u2 "had the time to finish it".

:censored: that!

they had 3 and 1/2 years....not enough???

*gets in time machine and travels to 1996 dublin*:
"hey bono"
"yes?"
"put the guiness down and pick up a guitar"
"what for?"
"you're running out of time to write good tunes"
"oh"

:D

Not a rumor anymore!

It seems it's not a rumor anymore. This rough translation from u2achtung:

It has been confirmed, and is no longer only a rumor: today, the beach of Eze-sur-mer is blocked and the road traffic and railway are temporarily slowed down due to the filming of a U2 video. The music being played is new, and a small curious group has gathered at the location.

This just in from u2france.com:

Evening everybody ! So this is it, this afternoon I went to the beach at Eze, facing Bono?s house to see guess who ? I was on the set of the brand new U2 video clip !

Larry and Bono stood there shooting the video clip : Larry was all dressed in black on the edge of a tub full of water with a mermaid bathing in it ! He had some scenes with the mermaid sitting on a garden swing.

In the back you could hear some U2 music (rather slow) some I do not know (this is to say !). By the villa was bono all in black as well wandering, wearing his dark shades. We were only 10 to assist to this? what a thrill !

I do not know what title they were playing as so far I haven't hear neither ?Electrical storm? nor ?Hands that build America?...

I've been a U2 fan since 1985 so I can say it wasn't one of their oldies. I didn't take any picture as I didn't plan to be there. i'm working in Monaco and I take the train daily and pass by Bono's house.

This morning as I saw the trucks outside I thought I should try my luck out. There was no fan, but Italians on holidays !

I asked for the permission to cross the beach and there I was standing 15 m from our 4 paddies ! I just couldn't believe it... awesome !

So long everyone and thanks so much to Dom Pineau from U2France who?s been nice enough to let me know about this shooting ;-))

Last edited:
about "remixes"

The term remix to most people means a restructuring of a song completely. This is not always true. The version of Streets on the first Best Of is technically a 'remix', the better term to use is 'remaster', where they take the master tapes and and 'remix' the tracks, not necassarily add dance beats and 'new' music too them.

That particular Streets version is 'remixed' to be shorter for radio, and called the 'single version' when in actuallity it is 'remixed'. There are collectors versions of War that I have seen that are remastered, that is my impression of what they are doing to either Pop/Zooropa.

It's well known of the 'glitch' that's in the song Last Night on Earth. If they remixed it perhaps they could remove that glitch. Maybe ultimately they didn't like Howie B's work on the album, and wanted to clean it up. It wasn't like they could have fired him 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Anytime master recordings are altered it could be called a remix, I don't think it means altering the song completely, besides don't we all have the original albums anyway? I just think this is another instance of the boys using a term that perhaps we misinterpret, just an idea.

Re: about "remixes"

U2DMfan said:
The term remix to most people means a restructuring of a song completely. This is not always true. The version of Streets on the first Best Of is technically a 'remix', the better term to use is 'remaster', where they take the master tapes and and 'remix' the tracks, not necassarily add dance beats and 'new' music too them.

That particular Streets version is 'remixed' to be shorter for radio, and called the 'single version' when in actuallity it is 'remixed'. There are collectors versions of War that I have seen that are remastered, that is my impression of what they are doing to either Pop/Zooropa.

It's well known of the 'glitch' that's in the song Last Night on Earth. If they remixed it perhaps they could remove that glitch. Maybe ultimately they didn't like Howie B's work on the album, and wanted to clean it up. It wasn't like they could have fired him 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Anytime master recordings are altered it could be called a remix, I don't think it means altering the song completely, besides don't we all have the original albums anyway? I just think this is another instance of the boys using a term that perhaps we misinterpret, just an idea.

I'd really like to hope so. Although it's true that we all have the 'originals', I'd like casual U2 fans who buy the album to get the music that we all love and care for so much not the "unce unce" of synthesisers and DJ's.

On a semi-related note this story from u2news.de:

( u2log.com ) According to a message of sunspot.net the British BBC arranged a list of the 100 "greatest britons" all times, among them with Bono (alias Paul Hewson) and Bob Geldof (supervisor of Live Aid, founder of the Boomtown of advice) also two Irish. Small anecdote at the edge: Princess Diana is not on the list, prince Charles against it. Were selected the 100 largest British of all times of 30.000 coincidentally selected inhabitants of the kingdom, to who a selection list was submitted, on which the most different personalities (of Johnny gangs up to Winston Churchill) were. In the course of the yearly some Specials are to run, in order to make afterwards a Top 10 from the Top 100 on BBC2. The complete Top 100 gives it here here !

...offends me a lot. Bono isn't British, he's Irish. Bob Geldof is Irish as well. U2 have said time and time again that they are an Irish band, which they are. It pisses me off when I hear or read people talk about that "English band" U2.

Similar to Chris Tarrant on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' a few years ago describe Boyzone (in his own words) to a contestant as an "English/Irish boygroup". Whatever about U2 I have no idea where he got this from. Really annoys me though!

Re: Not a rumor anymore!

Tabby said:
It seems it's not a rumor anymore. This rough translation from u2achtung:

It has been confirmed, and is no longer only a rumor: today, the beach of Eze-sur-mer is blocked and the road traffic and railway are temporarily slowed down due to the filming of a U2 video. The music being played is new, and a small curious group has gathered at the location.

Evening everybody ! So this is it, this afternoon I went to the beach at Eze, facing Bono?s house to see guess who ? I was on the set of the brand new U2 video clip !

Larry and Bono stood there shooting the video clip : Larry was all dressed in black on the edge of a tub full of water with a mermaid bathing in it ! He had some scenes with the mermaid sitting on a garden swing.

In the back you could hear some U2 music (rather slow) some I do not know (this is to say !). By the villa was bono all in black as well wandering, wearing his dark shades. We were only 10 to assist to this? what a thrill !

I do not know what title they were playing as so far I haven't hear neither ?Electrical storm? nor ?Hands that build America?...

I've been a U2 fan since 1985 so I can say it wasn't one of their oldies. I didn't take any picture as I didn't plan to be there. i'm working in Monaco and I take the train daily and pass by Bono's house.

This morning as I saw the trucks outside I thought I should try my luck out. There was no fan, but Italians on holidays !

I asked for the permission to cross the beach and there I was standing 15 m from our 4 paddies ! I just couldn't believe it... awesome !

So long everyone and thanks so much to Dom Pineau from U2France who?s been nice enough to let me know about this shooting ;-))

Grrrrr! :rant: :mad:!

You lucky duck!

Glad to hear it's actually true now, though. Thanks for the news on that. :).

Angela

what's the glitch on last night on earth????

JOFO said:
what's the glitch on last night on earth????

It has been refered to as a 'hiccup ' before, but check into the song, it's failry obvious to me, and I've read about it before on U2 boards and there is one page that has song meanings and hidden messages that notes it too. It was a production error, but this is was just an example of what I was saying, I think they are remastering some of that stuff not 'remixing' it like the Lemon Perfecto mix, but technically they are remixing it or 'remastering' as I said,thats just what methinks.

I'll try to find the exact time into the track. I think it's at 2:15, at least that's what the hidden messages site says.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

It has been refered to as a 'hiccup ' before, but check into the song, it's failry obvious to me, and I've read about it before on U2 boards and there is one page that has song meanings and hidden messages that notes it too. It was a production error, but this is was just an example of what I was saying, I think they are remastering some of that stuff not 'remixing' it like the Lemon Perfecto mix, but technically they are remixing it or 'remastering' as I said,thats just what methinks.

I'll try to find the exact time into the track. I think it's at 2:15, at least that's what the hidden messages site says.

I've been listening to POP for 5 years off and on, and I never noticed that until I read this....but...IT'S THERE!:ohmy:

Re: Not a rumor anymore!

Tabby said:
It

In the back you could hear some U2 music (rather slow)

This is the most depressing news, I hope it atleast rocks like Wild Honey rocks :grumpy:

Latest news

Latest update on the video:

August 22, 2002
U2achtung.com reports that Bono and Larry met with fans on the beach of Eze during a break of the filming of U2's new video
Wednesday afternoon. Having completed several scenes during the afternoon, Larry indicated to the fans that the "real" filming
would begin later that evening.

Around 9 p.m., a fireworks show was seen in the sky over Bono's home to honor Bono and Ali's twentieth wedding anniversary.
There were a large number of security guards surrounding the home, preventing fans from seeing too much of the video shoot.
Part of the set was visible from a distance; the other was protected by a wall surrounding the home.

U2achtung.com staff could hear the song being played for the filming. They describe it as a "magnificent song that begins slowly
and ends with a roar." It was played repeatedly.

During the shooting, fans could see Paul McGuiness, Ali, Morleigh, Ann, Jordan, and Eve watching the filming of the video. Paul
McGuinness approached the fans and asked that no one take photos of the filming.

The video shoot went on through the night, with the band taking only a few breaks of no longer than 5 minutes.

Around 1 a.m., a small number of fans were allowed to move closer to the set, where they could actually see the band. Bono wore
a black leather jacket and sunglasses. The Edge wore a white cowboy hat, t-shirt, and jeans. Adam and Larry were dressed "as
usual." Bono was visibly exhausted, but took the time to acknowledge the fans with a wave. When the band wrapped up the
video shoot, Adam came over and spoke to the fans briefly.

Read U2achtung.com's report (in French) at http://www.u2achtung

Re: Latest news

Tabby said:
Latest update on the video:

August 22, 2002
U2achtung.com reports that Bono and Larry met with fans on the beach of Eze during a break of the filming of U2's new video
Wednesday afternoon. Having completed several scenes during the afternoon, Larry indicated to the fans that the "real" filming
would begin later that evening.

Around 9 p.m., a fireworks show was seen in the sky over Bono's home to honor Bono and Ali's twentieth wedding anniversary.
There were a large number of security guards surrounding the home, preventing fans from seeing too much of the video shoot.
Part of the set was visible from a distance; the other was protected by a wall surrounding the home.

U2achtung.com staff could hear the song being played for the filming. They describe it as a "magnificent song that begins slowly
and ends with a roar." It was played repeatedly.

During the shooting, fans could see Paul McGuiness, Ali, Morleigh, Ann, Jordan, and Eve watching the filming of the video. Paul
McGuinness approached the fans and asked that no one take photos of the filming.

The video shoot went on through the night, with the band taking only a few breaks of no longer than 5 minutes.

Around 1 a.m., a small number of fans were allowed to move closer to the set, where they could actually see the band. Bono wore
a black leather jacket and sunglasses. The Edge wore a white cowboy hat, t-shirt, and jeans. Adam and Larry were dressed "as
usual." Bono was visibly exhausted, but took the time to acknowledge the fans with a wave. When the band wrapped up the
video shoot, Adam came over and spoke to the fans briefly.

Read U2achtung.com's report (in French) at http://www.u2achtung

Wow.

Neat.

Man, I wish I'd been there...*sighs*.

And how lovely...a fireworks display for Bono and Ali's anniversary. Very nice. :yes:.

Thanks for that news info.

Angela

Report about the shooting of Electrical Storm video

News from U2 Int mailing list. Some French fans got to see some bits of the shooting...take a look:

From a member of U2achtung.com :
We arrived on Wednesday afternoon at Eze, but we returned there on the
evening at about 8 pm, the hour which had been indicated to us by Larry
Mullen, for the beginning of the real recording sessions for the new U2
video.
Before the filming, there was some fireworks in the sky over Bono's
home to
celebrate Bono and Ali's 20th wedding anniversary.
There were a large number of security guards surrounding the home,
preventing fans from seeing too much of the video filming, and no one
was
allowed to take a picture or film. U2 was in front of a big white
screen
lighted by a spotlight to make it look like it was daylight. The stage
was
just visible on one part, the other part was hidden by the wall of the
villa. Regarding the music, it starts very slowly to end with a very
crystalline guitar and drum.

For having heard this song all along the night, we can say that "this
song
is great" !

Around the stage, there are Paul Mc Guinness, Alison (Bono's wife),
whom we
congratulated, then, Morleigh (The Edge's new wife), and Ann (Larry's
girlfriend), as well as Bono's daughters : Jordan and Eve who stay near
us
for a long time.

Afterwards we were lucky to talk with Paul Mc Guinness about the video.
The
video shooting went on through the night, with the band taking only a
few
breaks (no longer than 5 minutes each).

Around 1 a.m., we could see the group very well during the session
(there
were 4-5 fans left and the group was still there, working !). Many
video
shots were done. The scene reminded us of the video Beautiful day (the
large
shot of the group playing in front of the camera).

Besides, Bono was dressed in black, with black shades on ; Edge wore a
Poplike hat (back to his cow-boy look) , and Adam and Larry were
dressed...well...as usual !!

Bono was visibly exhausted, but he took the time to wave to the fans .
When
it was all done, Adam came over and spoke to the fans briefly. And, at
last, Bono came to say 'hello' to our little group. Wonderful ! So, It
was a
beautiful night !

--
Corinne

http://www.u2achtung.com

Back
Top Bottom