MERGED ----> U2 Documentary + U2 Documentary Clarification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
U2 Documentary

If I were U2's publicist, I would be scrambling to get MTV on a legit U2 documentary, focusing on the harder-edged U2 stuff. Promote the heck out of it.

I have a feeling that the new album is going to come out but be under-appreciated by everyone but the long-time hardcore fans.

If it is as "rock-n-roll" as Bono is making it sound, I fear that a 42-year old Bono w/ long hair is going to look silly trying to be a rock star w/o the proper context.

If the less-informed (17-24 year olds) can really understand the history of the band and their significance, it could be monumental in their acceptance of the new album as relevant.

Thoughts?

Bono does NOT look silly. He would if he tried to look and act like young rapmetal or emo stars though. I hope they don't even bother with MTV much this time. It was good for them in the 80's and early 90's but it has become so trendy and aimed at middle schoolers there is no way a band of that age with a career longer than the lives of its audience has a chance. A few people of all ages with good taste will like them anyway, but sorry, MTV is a lost cause for U2 or any other 'old' band. If they tried to fit in with that crowd, then they would appear silly.

I don't care too much if they go the MTV route. People will be attracted to good music regardless of MTV publicity.

Re: U2 Documentary

One Tree Still said:
If I were U2's publicist, I would be scrambling to get MTV on a legit U2 documentary, focusing on the harder-edged U2 stuff. Promote the heck out of it.

I have a feeling that the new album is going to come out but be under-appreciated by everyone but the long-time hardcore fans.

If it is as "rock-n-roll" as Bono is making it sound, I fear that a 42-year old Bono w/ long hair is going to look silly trying to be a rock star w/o the proper context.

If the less-informed (17-24 year olds) can really understand the history of the band and their significance, it could be monumental in their acceptance of the new album as relevant.

Thoughts?

Some good ideas here. I'm afraid I don't agree with many, but good discussion.

Who would watch U2's documentary on MTV? I'd bet it would be mainly hardcore U2 fans, and the random channel surfer. I don't think U2 being relevant will suddenly make anyone who isn't a fan, regardless of their age, sit up and say "oh yeah, they have such a legacy, I should go buy their album!" I think it comes down to U2 creating amazing music that hits anyone and everyone, regardless of their fanaticism or indifference to the band. Moreso, if they do make an amazing album, this will get the younger or unexposed people into them and then I'd think they would want to know more about this great band.

Also, Bono has a way of not looking silly.. he eludes coolness and his charisma draws people in. I don't think that'd be a problem at all.

Personally I'd love to see them promoted everywhere, cuz I love seeing them everywhere. :D But they have to have the goods to back up the promotion, cuz if the music is poor or uninteresting, even hardcore fans will be disappointed.

:) Olive

After rereading this, I missed something. 17-24 less informed? No, I think those ages know a lot about U2 and such 'informing' would be unnecessary. MTV's target audience is younger than that, and Justin fans are not going to like U2 no matter what :tsk: But I'd love to see a new U2 documentary anyway! :happy:

U2's fan base and appeal are large and far reaching. Millions of us around the world will buy this new album and millions more will sign on if the songs stand up and the media picks up on them.

You will see a broad number of programs devoted to, or at least a portion of devoted to the new album and talking with the band (and mainly Bono) about such a new album. A new documentary would do little good at this point.

Fans old and young will flock to the band if the album holds up and the tour takes off. If they bring back the lemon, or get ironic on us again then I'd be worried, but if they stay true to themselves and the music then there is nothing to worry about.

Uhm just bypass MTV and go to someone like Phil Janau once again and have him do a proper U2 documentry using U2's VAST library of recorded footage and just put it out on DVD to us fans. I have no idea why you would want them to try to get MTV's help, they don't need it. There is also no need to try to cram U2 down the throats of young fans anyway, that seems more like a marketing attempt to just commercialize the band.

Isn't Bono older than 42 now anyway?

It may be under appreciated by the general media but U2 fans and their opinions is where it counts the most. I have a feeling and I am not speaking on the band behalf but as a writer and somewhat an artist myself, you write for yourself first, the fans second and the media can like it if they want to or not but that is not the artists problem. Afterall, you do not want the media saying that the album is shit or nothing at all but U2 are at the phase and they have a lot of money where it doesn't matter if one album bombs or is under appreciated as long as it reaches and touches us, as fans in one way or another.

I think there will be plenty of U2 on TV programmes - not just the album promotion, but also 25 years of their career and rocknroll hall of fame induction. Fear not :D

U2girl said:
I think there will be plenty of U2 on TV programmes - not just the album promotion, but also 25 years of their career and rocknroll hall of fame induction. Fear not :D

Once again U2Girl you are right on the money. Hasn't there been discussion about an MTV Icon show? As hokey as it might sound, that would be kinda cool too......

MTV has absolutly nothing to do with music anymore, and VH1 isn't much better. What happened to that Aamer Haleem guy that used to do the Top 20 Countdown? He was a huge U2 fan, but now he's nowhere to be seen! I miss him. :(

I've been keeping up hope that somehow when U2 "comes back" the music channels will improve because they'll have something good to talk about. (U2 videos!) But that may not be the case. I just wish it was like it was in 2001 when they showed almost nothing but good videos (especially U2) and there was very little hip-hop. Ah, those were the days! That's when I became a U2 fan, back at the beginning of 8th grade...

I saw the MTV Icons for Janet Jackson, Metallica and Aerosmith - and I thought that U2 will probably be featured in that way too.

The thought of an MTV Icons show on U2 kind of scares me. They will probably get people like Arvil Lavigne and Good Charlotte to cover U2 songs. :yikes: And I don't think U2 would do a Cribs show, thank God! They have too much class for that.

If U2 were going to do something on MTV to promote themselves when the new album is released, I think it would be cool to have a half-hour or hour-long mini-concert. They could even have younger artists who are U2 fans talk about what they love about the band in between songs. Actually I love the idea of a new documentary as well, but I think the concert route would be a better way to draw in new fans. What better way to introduce people to U2 than seeing them live?

Am I the only person who doesn't get mtv in their home?

Therefore I hope they don't do any shows on U2 as I won't be able to see them and i'll just feel bitter... :madspit:

I get this channel called MTV but I think it's a different kind of MTV because they just show a car show about changing old cars into new cars and there are reality shows about aging rock stars that slur a lot.

(Sarcasm)

i agree that MTV is a load of crap nowdays. and if the album is good then it will sell. i am 18, so i fall into the younger category, but i will bet you that i know more about U2 than any older person in the town i live in. and to prove it i will tell you that i have won all the u2 trivia on the local radio station (they like u2 on there). i wouldnt say that the younger generation is uninformed, we just had to catch up a little. there is enough publicity going on for the band already. and the documentary would be friggin awesome. i will say that if MTV put something about u2 on there of course i would watch it and i would be happy that they finally acknoweledge somebody on there besides puff daddy and avril lavigne, but our guys dont need them. they have us, right? :D

u2bonogirl said:
i wouldnt say that the younger generation is uninformed, we just had to catch up a little.

Right. I'm 20 and I love U2 and appreciate their history (but then again I do tend to like history a lot more than most people I know). The good thing about U2 - at least as I see it - is that they're not a "stale" old rock band like, say, the Rolling Stones have become, because they have kept creating new music and have kept that music relevant. Most Avril Lavigne fans I know like Beautiful Day and they recognise songs like WOWY or Pride, which is better than nothing. I'd suggest that if U2 has a song like Beautiful Day on their new album they don't need to hyper promote it because a good song will do that itself. Although I wonder if BD would've been as successful as it was if ATYCLB hadn't had the kind of publicity it did ...

I don't agree that having a U2 documentary on MTV would win new fans because the kind of people who (in general) watch MTV nowadays wouldn't, I imagine, be interested in U2's history. There's a difference between people who would buy U2's new album just because they happened to be on MTV, and people who would buy it because they realise what a great band U2 is and would then go and buy Boy, October, War, etc.

Re: U2 Documentary

One Tree Still said:

Thoughts?

what the hell are you going on about!!! ist bono is know 44 yrs old!!! Secondly Bono couldn't look stupid if wanted too or in fact any other U2 band player!!! THRIDLY I AM 15 YRS OLD AND I KNOW THE INS AND OUTS OF BONO AND U2, MORE THAN MOST 'OLD' PEOPLE ANY HOW!!! JUST ASK MY MATES AND FAMILY THEY WILL TELL YOU!!!!!! :mad:

I'm 16 years old and started liking U2 when I was 13. When I find something really cool, I tend to dive right in and find out as much as I can about it. So I immediately found U2 websites and spent alot of time reading about them. (It was fun!) So I wouldn't say I'm "uninformed;" "Inexperienced" would probaly be a better description.

Something that would be good for drawing interest to the new album would be and interview-type show with some videos here and there. Did anyone see that special on MuchMusic in 2001 called "U2 Does Much"? Seeing that show made me into a fan. I wnat to see it again, but I probably never will since that channel changed its name to Fuse.

U2 Documentary Clarification

Good comments everyone. Let me clarify

1. If this album is truly going to be a guitar-driven rock album, like Bono is saying - I think U2's guitar-driven, rock roots need to be emphasized or 44-year-old (not 42, sorry) U2 will look a lot like the Rolling Stones did to me when I was 18 (1988) to the fan base I mentioned.

2. My apologies to the 17-24 year olds who know a lot about and appreciate U2. Just recognize you are in the vast minority. The reason I think this group is important is because if U2 is no longer relevant to this age group, they begin to slip - in my book anyway - into obscurity and irrelevance culturally. That does NOT mean that U2 "suck" if they are no longer culturally relevant - I just think it'll be a shame when U2 goes unnoticed by the people who could use probably their wisdom and inspiration the most - high school and college students.

3. Maybe MTV isnt the right group to produce the documentary, but it's the right station to broadcast it. Comments from bands and artists influenced by U2 and other celebrity fans are a must (and a given). Jimmy Fallon would be the perfect guy to host/narrate it.

Re: U2 Documentary Clarification

One Tree Still said:

1. If this album is truly going to be a guitar-driven rock album, like Bono is saying - I think U2's guitar-driven, rock roots need to be emphasized or 44-year-old (not 42, sorry) U2 will look a lot like the Rolling Stones did to me when I was 18 (1988) to the fan base I mentioned.

2. My apologies to the 17-24 year olds who know a lot about and appreciate U2. Just recognize you are in the vast minority. The reason I think this group is important is because if U2 is no longer relevant to this age group, they begin to slip - in my book anyway - into obscurity and irrelevance culturally. That does NOT mean that U2 "suck" if they are no longer culturally relevant - I just think it'll be a shame when U2 goes unnoticed by the people who could use probably their wisdom and inspiration the most - high school and college students.

3. Maybe MTV isnt the right group to produce the documentary, but it's the right station to broadcast it. Comments from bands and artists influenced by U2 and other celebrity fans are a must (and a given). Jimmy Fallon would be the perfect guy to host/narrate it.

HMMMM i forgive you! JUST GET UR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE DISING MY BABES IN U2!!

When is the documentary on mtv?

Re: U2 Documentary Clarification

One Tree Still said:

Fair enough!

I disagree. First, I was also 18 in 1988 and I didn't see the Stones as old or offensive, it never even entered my mind to think of that. Their age made no difference to me at all. Second, the kind of person who is into the stuff on MTV these days, as we've already established, is not the kind of person who is very likely to become a fan of U2 anyway so they need not pander to them. Their age alone will turn off a lot of the TRL types no matter what they do. But I am hoping for a documentary of their entire career, only because I think it's time for an update with their entire story and I wanna see it. Or maybe they'll wait until THIS tour is over.

I don't think Bono is going to look stupid if the album is a rock album anyway. It's not like Bono is going to head bang or go crowd surfing at U2 shows and he sure as hell isn't going to try to dance.

david said:
I get this channel called MTV but I think it's a different kind of MTV because they just show a car show about changing old cars into new cars and there are reality shows about aging rock stars that slur a lot.

(Sarcasm)

no no no! You do have the right MTV the program that your talking about is called pimp up my car. Its alright1 Don't panic :huh:

Back
Top Bottom