MERGED-->U2 and the Killers song similiarity...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
U2 and the Killers song similiarity...

We all know "I Will Follow" and love it, has anyone heard the song "Midnight Show" by the Killers? The drumming is nearly identical, the guitar bits are similiar to IWF... listen to it!

I hear it, and Midnight Show sounds a lot like I Will Follow

The Killers and U2 are very similar. The lead gutiarist, David, says that U2 is his favourite band and that Edge is his favourite gutiarist. He uses an Ibanez Explorer that looks exactly like Edge's Gibson Explorer, and he's described his gutiar style as being similar to Edge's, and it really is. The Killers are with Island Records, like U2.

Oh yeah, and both bands are fuckin cool!

discothequeLP said:
The lead gutiarist, David, says that U2 is his favourite band and that Edge is his favourite gutiarist. He uses an Ibanez Explorer that looks exactly like Edge's Gibson Explorer, and he's described his gutiar style as being similar to Edge's, and it really is. The Killers are with Island Records, like U2.

That's cool, didn't know that! But yeah, when I first heard Somebody Told Me the first thought that came to my head was "U2!" The helicopter-harmonic effect on the verses, ala New Year's Day (can someone teach me how to do that? I'm at a loss.) and the guitar riff during the bridge is very Edge. As for Midnight Show, yeah, that's probably the most U2-y song of the bunch, it honestly sounds like it came straight off of Boy. Good stuff.

I like "All These Things That I've Done" on Hot Fuss.

"I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier".

The Killer are a great band, love their last release. "Smile Like You Mean it" and "All these things..." are brilliant.

the fact they love u2 make it even better :wink:

I don't think they sound like U2. Maybe the tone of the guitar, but nothing else. Not even the way it's played. It's more like U2 than it's like rap. But that's not saying much.

somebody told me sounds nothing like a u2 song but there are a lot of bands out there that have credited u2 as being an influence so it doesn;t suprise me that we hear u2 in their songs.

I find the drumming in "somebody told me.." is very Larry, and i immidiately thought of U2 from their music, i figured they were inspired.

The breakdown kinda bridge part", maybe, baby, please...etc.." of somebody told me, is VERY U2, kinda a harmonic effect, and weird bass thing and double hit of the snare before going back into the chorus.

If anyone can make sense of that and honestly agrees i'll be very impressed and even award them with a no-prize! lol :wink:

As I have stated before many bands have tried to copy the early U2 sound up to the Joshua Tree and they are just getting around to doing it properly close to 20 years later but they still havent got the Achtung Baby sound yet and I doubt they ever will.

u2 and the killers are very similiar except the minor fact that the killers are extremely overrated, a flash-in-the-pan, and u2 aren't.

all this killers talk is making me go ballistic, i'm not sure if this even worse than when coldplay released a rush of blood to the head.

Actually, The Killers seem to try to mix the 16th note muted strumming of The Joshua Tree era with the overly synthesized stylings of Zooropa with a singer who sounds like he belongs in The Strokes. They're all right. They're too glitsy-glammy makin-it-in-the-backseat to be U2....

Lil'Bono said:
Listen to the guitar solo in 'on top', it's got u2 written all over it!!!

True! I used to have trouble listening to it, it was just too U2! ;)

But I love the album. Fine, it's not like they have any ideas of their own, but not many new bands have these days anyway. I've stopped thinking about what bands they sound like and just enjoy the music instead. :lol:

kakvox said:
I like "All These Things That I've Done" on Hot Fuss.

"I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier".

That's the only song of theirs that I've heard and that single line annoys me so much that it put me off.

I hate the "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" -line too. lol
I can only listen to the beginning of the song, then I skip to the next track. ;)

Familiar with the song... didn't notice a similarity, other than the two being fast numbers. But cool, nevertheless.

Theyre U2 fans, so are alot of bands and half the indie bands in the world's first albums sound like Boy mixed with their own ideas........

The drums at the beginning of 'Believe Me Natalie' are completely ripped-off from 'Elvis Presley & America'.

The first time I heard Midnight Show, I thought it sounded a lot like U2, the guitar playing is similar to the Edge's style. I think it is the most U2 sounding song on the album.

I really don't see The Killers as a flash-in-the-pan. They made a truly exciting debut album, and I believe they have a big career ahead. Sometimes I wonder if the haters have even heard more than one song of theirs. If you have and you still don't like it, that's cool.

The Killers should dedicate their sound to u2 in the credits. Their not identical or anything, but a lot of the musical aspects (especially the guitar) is inspired by u2.

Great Band, love "Hot Puss."

Last edited:
I could see where U2 would be an influence. The bass on those songs is absolutely the best thing ever. If you're talking about the Killers and not mentioning their bass then your're not listening to the same band I am.

HelloAngel said:
I really don't see The Killers as a flash-in-the-pan. They made a truly exciting debut album, and I believe they have a big career ahead. Sometimes I wonder if the haters have even heard more than one song of theirs. If you have and you still don't like it, that's cool.

i have.

and i'll be the first to tell you that mr. brightside is a good song.

I don't think they are a flash in the pan either, I think they'll still be around in 10 years.

By the way, they have the #1 UK album this week. :)

Zoomerang96 said:
and i'll be the first to tell you that mr. brightside is a good song.

Awww - glad to hear. Have you seen the video? I don't care for it. A bit pretentious and boring.

HelloAngel said:

Awww - glad to hear. Have you seen the video? I don't care for it. A bit pretentious and boring.

Which one are you referring to? The US version or the UK version, I like them both, but the Us version is better.

Back
Top Bottom