MERGED-->U2 and the Killers song similiarity...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sensnucksfan said:

Which one are you referring to? The US version or the UK version, I like them both, but the Us version is better.

The one with Eric Roberts that looks like a Vogue photo shoot with models.

HelloAngel said:

The one with Eric Roberts that looks like a Vogue photo shoot with models.

Have you seen the other one? If you like the song you should check it out. Its on their website and UK launch.

sensnucksfan said:

Have you seen the other one? If you like the song you should check it out. Its on their website and UK launch.

Thanks for the tip - I haven't been able to see it on the Killers' website yet because my video player is focked.

HelloAngel said:

Awww - glad to hear. Have you seen the video? I don't care for it. A bit pretentious and boring.

i saw it yesterday, i believe. it's not that bad, it's just the theme has been done to death... the whole "classic" approach i mean.

on the other hand, you're not pretentious or boring. :wink:

I can definitely hear the similarities.....and Hot Fuss is an awesome record. I saw them here in Memphis in October and they were great, they played every song on the record but the last track. Oh yeah, and the singer is cute too, so that never hurts.

They are one of the most exciting young bands to come out in years. Second best album of 2004. They appeared nervous on Saturday Night Live, but it's understandable.

I think the lead singer sounds like a toned down version of the lead singer from At the Drive In. I think the guy uses a flange effect on a distorted guitar for that helicopter sound and palm mutes but I'm just guessing.

That's cool what the guitarist said about Edge. Personally, I like the album but only see little aspects of U2 in their songs. There are other influences that bleed out much more strongly then U2 IMO.

boylove3.jpg

boylove5.jpg

BrandyDaveboylove.jpg

Davemakingout.jpg

I fucking hate The Killers and their vapid, boring, awkward Brit-Pop-wannabe hackwork, and question the musical taste of anybody who likes them. Including Bono's. Although, his personal musical taste has been in question for years (it's why we're getting Kings of Leon as an opening act). I highly recommend that fans of The Killers throw that shit away and buy the last four Pulp albums, and download some of their videos online. Then you'll see The Killers for what they are - a bunch of kids from Las Vegas, pretending.

Last edited:
Shade said:
I fucking hate The Killers and their vapid, boring, awkward Brit-Pop-wannabe hackwork, and question the musical taste of anybody who likes them.

And I question someone who is willing to insult a bunch of people they do not know. I fucking love The Killers, and my music taste is just fine, thank you very much. And for your information, I named my cat after Jarvis Cocker. Bet you weren't expecting that, eh?

And sorry, but their album is anything but vapid. That is unless you've only heard "Somebody Told Me."

It has nothing to do with the similarities/influences to U2. (for me that is)
I love the Mr. Brightside video and think are fantastic. :up:

Of course I'm not one to listen to every little rif looking for the Edge or Larrys influences. I just love the music..

Shade, It doesn't matter who you like because who are you to dictate to anyone about their musical taste? :tongue:

Just like what you want too and leave the rest behind. :yes:
Lighten up dude/dudette. That was really a rude post...?

Last edited:
I LOVE the killers album - ttheres hardly a weak track on tehre and its by far one of my absolute favourite albums at the moment (dare i say theres a possibility i may prefer it to htdaab...:eek: )
going to see the killers live next month and cannot wait :hyper: (and the tix only gost £17...)

HelloAngel said:
And I question someone who is willing to insult a bunch of people they do not know.

I know you're a Killers fan, and that's exactly who I was attacking. So, question away. It kinda tickles.

I fucking love The Killers, and my music taste is just fine, thank you very much.

I dunno - being a Killers fan would suggest otherwise.

And for your information, I named my cat after Jarvis Cocker. Bet you weren't expecting that, eh?

No, I wasn't expecting that. Because, it is completely unimportant. I suppose it is nice that you have a cat. But, the fact remains that you are a supporter of The Killers, so, having a cat named Jarvis earns you no cred. Sorry.

And sorry, but their album is anything but vapid. That is unless you've only heard "Somebody Told Me."

I've heard the whole album. I even saw one of their goddamn concerts with my sister-in-law. It's cookie-cutter New Wave/Brit Pop crap that rehashes themes that have been covered with more intensity and wit by real, actual British bands for years. The two worst things about The Killers is that a) they seem to be writing songs about things they haven't lived, just because they thought the subject matter sounded cool when their idols wrote about it, and b) they make absolutely no attempt at being originals when they pick up their instruments. None. They have added nothing of any value to the fabric of rock and roll. There are no new sounds there. It's simple synthetic mimicry of the sounds, looks, and mannerisms of other, far better bands that have grown organically out of the music scene. I have zero respect for any band that doesn't at least try to come up with an original sound, and as a U2 fan, I would think you would appreciate and encourage the concept of innovation and originality. Which is completely lacking in The Killers (even the name is bland and unoriginal). They may turn people on, right now, because they've capitalized on sounds that people have loved for years, but they'll be forgotten as soon as listeners realize that they aren't capable of anything else. OR, they'll get shot down when they try to step out of the clothes they're wearing and be different, because they rose to (ever-so-brief) stardom on something that wasn't even theirs to begin with. They have painted themselves into a corner by being imitators, and they will not get out. The Killers were over as soon as they began.

sue4u2 said:
Shade, It doesn't matter who you like because who are you to dictate to anyone about their musical taste? :tongue:

Just like what you want too and leave the rest behind. :yes:
Lighten up dude/dudette. That was really a rude post...?

Thank you, sue4u2? I appreciate your comments, even if your musical taste is questionable for liking The Killers...? :eyebrow:

Well Shade, I guess you've put me in my place then. We can't all have the same sophisticated musical taste as you. Yep, you're right, I have shitty and questionable music taste. We all do. Carry on then. I won't argue with you or insult you because I respect your opinion, even if you are being needlessly abrasive when stating it. That's fine if you don't like the Killers, but it's still not polite to insult people you don't know simply because we like the Killers - there is a more pleasant way of stating your opinion, you know.

I love them thats the best way to be imo btw Marc is a supurb bassist

ZeroDude said:
I love them thats the best way to be imo btw Marc is a supurb bassist

Vannucci is a great drummer too, I like them a lot. I have impeccable musical taste.

The Killers style, musically and lyrically, bears no resemblence to U2 in anyway for me. Brandon's love for U2 only seems to have emerged since U2 declared their love for The Killers.

I do like them - I just hope they have some kind of longevity.

HelloAngel said:
Well Shade, I guess you've put me in my place then. We can't all have the same sophisticated musical taste as you. Yep, you're right, I have shitty and questionable music taste. We all do. Carry on then. I won't argue with you or insult you because I respect your opinion, even if you are being needlessly abrasive when stating it. That's fine if you don't like the Killers, but it's still not polite to insult people you don't know simply because we like the Killers - there is a more pleasant way of stating your opinion, you know.

I'm just learning about all of these "new" bands and artists like The Killers, Scissor Sister, Modest Mouse, The Hives, Bright Eyes, Interpol, AudioSlave, Postal Service, Wilco, B.R.M.C., Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, and Evanascence. Yes, I know, some of these artists have been around a few years and some have even had big hits, but beyond that big hit, I don't know them. Furthermore, until recently I hadn't heard of most of these artists. That's one good thing about U2 - every time they release a new album, I get back into music again and start exploring new bands (as well as older music - I'm even giving Radiohead another go).

Anyway, out of all those bands I've mentioned, The Killers' music is in the top 3 (along with Scissor Sisters and B.R.M.C.). Some of the artists I listed are too "grunge" sounding for my tastes, some are just loud and some don't make music that appeals to me. But The Killers seem to be making good stuff!

However, because of how nasty Shade was, I am now going to become a Killers fan just to counterbalance and spite him. :wink: And given that I already like their music, this is an easy and enjoyable task. :yes:

Last edited:
I don't like the Killers. Granted, I've only heard that single "Somebody Told Me", but I really don't like it.:(

i bought their album a couple a weeks ago....not bad. some of the worst lyrics every written though. but im sure that will improve

The Killers are the first new band I've been excited about in a while. Since The White Stripes, I think. And TWS happily surprised me by putting out some GREAT followup albums, so I'm hoping The Killers will do the same. I bet they're great live - I missed them on their US tour this fall, but hopefully they'll come back around soon.

To me, the Killers sound like a near-carbon copy of early Cure.

I see similarities if you compare them to zooropa and achtung baby U2, but other than that, no.

I think you need to remember that the roots of U2 are punk/trad irish. Their current sound is an evolution that has incorporated the phases they have gone through, but the electronic studio sound on zooropa and achtung baby (which I love, don't get me wrong) was brought to them by Brian Eno more than the band created it.

I agreee with the guy above me. First band in a while I've been excited about. I hope their next album sounds more original though. And they really need to work on the lyrics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom