MERGED ----> U2 and Rick Rubin: what would it be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog said:
I still think that a Rubin produced U2 album would kick some serious ass...leaving ATYCLB and HTDAAB in the dust. Just my opinion.

Assuming the songs are good, of course. :eyebrow:

AndrewCowley said:

PookaMacP said:

Sounds like a good plan, but is Godrich definitely working with Radiohead. He did Eraser with Thom Yorke, but I thought they were talking about trying out somebody new?

Eno alone I think would be a fantastic move too.

They tried "somebody new" with HTDATB but then reverted back to their comfort zone in the end. I reckon the days of this band doing something drastically new are over. As much as I love them I have to admit this. The same thing exists with setlists; they'll never vary their setlists now after having fixed setlists for so long.

I'm on a similar wavelength as you re U2 but I was actually talking about Radiohead working with somebody different. I'm not sure that Godrich is definitely working on their new album, so he could be free to mix it up. Though of course he did work with U2 already on the Walk On Single Version. And, of course, he did produce a few Travis albums as well, whatever that tells us.... :eyebrow:

I'd love for Rubin to work with U2. From what I've heard about him I think he'd be great for U2. They could use someone pressuring them to push themselves in a new direction.

And regarding Eno...

I love the man and I'd like to hear that he'd be coming back for the next album, but I'm still bitter about his production on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway :mad:

If they at least just get Rick Rubin in for some pre-production consultation it would be something special.

I like the idea of a Rubin/Flood team. If U2 were to finish out this "trilogy" of albums with something that was so similar to the past two releases - in terms of production, production team, and songs - it would be the most stale trilogy of their career. I think Rubin can freshen things up a lot.

pacemaker said:
If they at least just get Rick Rubin in for some pre-production consultation it would be something special.

I like the idea of a Rubin/Flood team. If U2 were to finish out this "trilogy" of albums with something that was so similar to the past two releases - in terms of production, production team, and songs - it would be the most stale trilogy of their career. I think Rubin can freshen things up a lot.

Seriously, this whole triolgy thing is crap. The closest they got to a trilogy was the 90's but not even then.

AndrewCowley said:
I am no expert... but don't we need to distinguish between production and engineering. Production is helping the band with music and lyrical arrangements. Engineering is the mixing, eq'ing etc... that takes place after the band and the producer has laid down the songs and all these complaints about iPods highlighting levels being too high (leading to distortion), clipping, Achtung Baby mudiness (all of which I agree with) should be directed towards the engineer shouldn't they?

Yeah, that's pretty much true, though producers often end up playing more than one role, so they sometimes do mixing/engineering as well, or at least tell the engineers what they want to hear. And in the case of, say, AB, I'm thinking the "mudiness" (which isn't that bad really) was intended by the band and Eno/Lanois to give the album a certain feel.

The Rick Rubin/Flood team is an interesting idea indeed...and I agree that Zooropa has U2's best production. Maybe Edge should produce U2's next album on his own :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Seriously, this whole triolgy thing is crap. The closest they got to a trilogy was the 90's but not even then.

Actually, I rather agree with it. :huh:

UF and War sound nothing alike to me, while October and War are much closer. Pop and ATYCLB sound very different, while ATYCLB and HTDAAB has quite a bit in common.

Since Eno had his chance solo on Passengers and almost solo on Zooropa, why not give Lanois solo a chance?

if u2 go in another direction as theyve been talking about and trying something new, RUBIN would be a great choice. wow.

if they are going to go in the same vein as the last 2 albums, go with lanois and eno again.

U2girl said:
Since Eno had his chance solo on Passengers and almost solo on Zooropa, why not give Lanois solo a chance?

They did at the German Achtung Baby sessions, and look what almost happened there.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh I think the album trilogy is a subject you can have a whole thread on itself. Every three albums it seems U2 begins a new musical chapter...it seems that way to me.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Oh I think the album trilogy is a subject you can have a whole thread on itself. Every three albums it seems U2 begins a new musical chapter...it seems that way to me.

Boy October War - No way

UF JT R&H - No, UF doesn't fit...

90's Maybe, but really when looking at it Pop doesn't fit.

guill said:
Boy/October/War is a trilogy according to Bono*

*singer of u2

If you're going to argue anything, never use Bono as a source :wink:

Bono told a fan once that Crumbs was "the most important song U2 has ever written" :|

AtomicBono said:
Bono told a fan once that Crumbs was "the most important song U2 has ever written" :|

And because of its importance, it was played twice at every Vertigo Tour show, released as HTDAAB's lead single, and performed at Live 8!

Oh, wait ...!

Rule of thumb: never trust Bono when it comes to music, especially his own.

I view the trilogies/pairs as:

- Boy/October/War

- Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum

- Achtung Baby/Zooropa

- Passengers

- Pop

- ATYCLB/HTDAAT

BonoVoxSupastar said:

HTDAAB is also punk rock from venus according to Bono.

Yeah, back in Spring 2003. Edge also said it's a guitar record, as did Paul McGuiness when he first listened to the things. :hmm: Liars all of them eh?

Of course if you thought this still applied when the album came out a year and half later, and after a different producer...

LemonMacPhisto: well, yes, but this kind of argument only happened once. Lanois still ended up as a producer for 5 songs.

Not that its deliberate but there is a switch in every 3 albums U2 makes, themes and musicwise. (that said, I'd make a trilogy out of AB/Zooropa/Passengers)

U2girl said:

I'd make a trilogy out of AB/Zooropa/Passengers

If you're counting Passengers as a U2 album, then the trilogy would be Zooropa - Passengers - POP. On these three albums the band is really experimenting with song structures etc.

Achtung Baby can't be called experimental. The only thing is that the sound of album is very different from what the band had done in the past.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Yeah, back in Spring 2003. Edge also said it's a guitar record, as did Paul McGuiness when he first listened to the things. :hmm: Liars all of them eh?

Of course if you thought this still applied when the album came out a year and half later, and after a different producer...

LemonMacPhisto: well, yes, but this kind of argument only happened once. Lanois still ended up as a producer for 5 songs.

Not that its deliberate but there is a switch in every 3 albums U2 makes, themes and musicwise. (that said, I'd make a trilogy out of AB/Zooropa/Passengers)

The last album is the most guitar-driven of their latest works.
And that quote came out in a stage where the Chris Thomas recording sessions were being finished. That one had more raw, direct and guitar driven versions of the songs we actually know.

I agree with BANZAI that AB isn't really experimental in the musical scene, it was only a new path and a new direction the band followed.
I don't give a damn about that stupid trilogy theory, but if it was real, AB would never belong to the same group as the Passengers project. Or AB/Zooropa/Pop or something...

i think rick rubin would be a good idea, nigel goodrich too, or what about William Orbit or Nellee Hooper who have worked so well with U2 in the past?
I think the problem with RR working with U2 is that I dont know how well they would get along, I dont know why but I have a feeling that him and Larry would clash!!!

Aygo said:

The last album is the most guitar-driven of their latest works.
And that quote came out in a stage where the Chris Thomas recording sessions were being finished. That one had more raw, direct and guitar driven versions of the songs we actually know.

Yeah, I think the HTDAAB Version 1.0 probably was a real rock album.

I think if I could go back to any point in U2's career and have some influence, it would be the moment when Larry was about to give Chris Thomas his marching orders. This is where Larry mysteriously falls into a deep hole that had mysteriously been covered over by a mysterious rug.

I don't think Larry or any of the other band members are complete idiots

if the Thomas sessions had delivered that 'spark of magic' (blah blah) that they're always looking for, they would have gone with it
chances are that those sessions just weren't that wonderful either

Yes, the Thomas sessions were spectacular and that's why they kept him as a producer. The Bomb "version 1.0" was so insanely good Larry and Adam were against releasing it in 2003. "Bastards were right", and all that.

Down with Larry the Tyrant!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom