MERGED-->TOTP outside live performance + Vertigo Live Outside BBC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lo-Fi

War Child
Vertigo Live Outside The BBC (For Any Of You Living in London).

The word from an @U2 reader in London is that Friday's night performance on Top of the Pops will be live and will be done outside the main BBC buildings. We're told the best place to see the band will be from Wood Lane. The nearest tube is White City, we're told. Hard to confirm any of this from Washington state, but we'll pass it along anyway. (Thanks JD.)

Lucky gits!

TOTP outside live performance

from @u2.com

The word from an @U2 reader in London is that Friday's night performance on Top of the Pops will be live and will be done outside the main BBC buildings. We're told the best place to see the band will be from Wood Lane. The nearest tube is White City, we're told. Hard to confirm any of this from Washington state, but we'll pass it along anyway. (Thanks JD.)

Something similair to Beautiful Day?

anyone know anymore about this or where this rumour came from?
someones got to know something!!

i'll be pissed if its true - i live in london but am going to be in dublin this weekend. talk about bad timing!!!

I'm tempted to head down there.. is it really live live rather than pre-recorded live?

Thanks Herco.

maybe?
TOTP is very rarely screened live though - its normally a pre-recording from earlier in the week. i believe for BD they played the wednesday a week before it was actually aired. hey maybe they're playing tonight....???

also Wood Lane ain't exactly on top of the Clarence in the centre of Dublin or the centre of London in Picadilly Circus or anything, its not exactly a a prominant spot or a big focal point to perform from.

then again i'm probably just trying to convince myself because i live in london but am away this weekend (in dublin of all places) so won't get to see it :(

Does this mean we're going to get the first live mp3 of HTDAAB on here by the weekend ?
Joy to all

digsy said:
maybe?
TOTP is very rarely screened live though - its normally a pre-recording from earlier in the week. i believe for BD they played the wednesday a week before it was actually aired. hey maybe they're playing tonight....???

also Wood Lane ain't exactly on top of the Clarence in the centre of Dublin or the centre of London in Picadilly Circus or anything, its not exactly a a prominant spot or a big focal point to perform from.

then again i'm probably just trying to convince myself because i live in london but am away this weekend (in dublin of all places) so won't get to see it :(

Yeah it's a bit of a dump around there.. it makes sense them doing something outdoors, when they played TOTP on the last record they didn't really suit a small indoor studio. I remember Bono saying in an interview back in 1987 how they were always 'crap' on TOTP, and something to do with an Irish performance style of playing to the back of the room..(it was a while ago!).

It would be good to get a lively crowd out there too.. has anybody contacted the BBC or PM about this?

well for BD there was an article on bbc news website the day before they performed saying they were gonna be doing it on top of the clarence so it wasnt exactly a secret...
and besides, woudlnt they want as bigger crowd as possible?
i've got a few aquaintances in the bbc who i'm gonna give a call now and see what i can find out, no promises though

BD was a lipsynch wasn't it (or at least the instruments were pre-recorded)? aparently they didn't get the live version figured out in time so they went that way

bcrt2000 said:
BD was a lipsynch wasn't it (or at least the instruments were pre-recorded)? aparently they didn't get the live version figured out in time so they went that way

The voice was live, instruments recorded. They also performed Elevation on Clarence's roof.

Since Top of The Pops revamp earlier last year it is transmitted live as it occurs, so there's a god chance that U2 will be there on Friday night, theres also a good chance that because their performance isn't in the studio itself that it may be recorded prior to screening. Worth a gamble if you live near there though!

The U2 performance will be broadcasted LIVE. They're in the studio on Friday and that will be screened on Friday (and I'll be there!). I don't know wether they'll play outdoors though... I can see if I can find out. I'll try my best!

Dutch Partygirl said:
The U2 performance will be broadcasted LIVE. They're in the studio on Friday and that will be screened on Friday (and I'll be there!). I don't know wether they'll play outdoors though... I can see if I can find out. I'll try my best!

How d'you get in! ?!

Dutch Partygirl said:
I work at the Dutch Top of the Pops. It was rather hard to get in, but I managed... And needless to say: I'm excited!

How lucky are you! any chance of a free pass!

I'd be surprised if it was real-time live on friday, considering that TOTP is prerecorded (on a thursday, I believe.....)

more feasible is the idea that the U2 slot is pre-recorded with them performing live outside White City :shrug:

Last edited:
Dutch Partygirl said:
I work at the Dutch Top of the Pops. It was rather hard to get in, but I managed... And needless to say: I'm excited!

i've never met you but i now hate you anyway :madspit:

just kidding
i am insanely insanely jealous
have fun :)

TOTP is live from the studios at 7.30 sometimes some of the internatonal artists pre record in the afternoon.

In our dreams... although, didn't they play "Holy Joe" at the K-Mart press conference announcing the PopMart tour? Maybe they'll play "Are You Gonna Wait Forever?" sometime before the album comes out... it'd be something new, even if not an album track. I'm curious to hear "Mercy" moreso than AYGWF though.

When was the date that they performed BD? I remember I was in Ireland that day, but up in Donegal and couldn't get to Dub in time :(

Headache in a Suitcase said:
think they'll play more than just Vertigo? :hyper:

It's a fair point... last time around, they recorded Elevation, Stuck and New York at the same time as Beautiful Day.. all of them apart from NY were shown at later dates.

Back
Top Bottom