MERGED ----> To all the naysayers: The top 18 charitable stars:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
The 18 Top Charitable Stars....

To the issue of AIDS and development in Africa, here are some little publicized actual dollar amounts:

Elton John DONATED $155 MILLION
Bono DONATED $150M
Bob Geldof DONATED $130M
Sheryl Crow DONATED $122M
Paul Newman DONATED $100M
Michael J. Fox DONATED $90M
Lance Armstrong DONATED $90M
Oprah Winfrey DONATED $60M
Jay Leno DONATED $50M
Katie Couric DONATED $28M
Ellen DeGeneres DONATED $20M
Harry Conick Jr. DONATED $18M
Denis Leary DONATED $8M
Arnold Schwarzenegger DONATED $4M

Brad Pitt DONATED $3.4M
Angelina Jolie DONATED $3.2M

So to those who say he doesn't give..... there you go.

:D :rockon:BONO donated $150 M

I would like to know how they came up with that number.

Is it over the course of a year or years?

It's more like they assisted in raising that amount of money over the course of a decade(or two).

Which is a problem with many celebrities. They who have so much, and yet they usually donate less than 10% of their actual income.

It's us working class slubs that do the most donating.

Elton has been hosting the hollywood party that raised 10M to 15 M for Aids (annually)

Paul Newman has raised his money through salad dressings and other products over the course of 2 decades. Most of the money was donated for camps for children with cancer located in the United States. If this organization has a global initative now; that is something that has been a recent occurrence.

Oprah is currently building schools in Africa and has only recently pledged to donate 60M.

Dennis Leary money is for firefighters in Boston and not African Aids.

Geldoff money is the result of fundraising from Aid for Africa and Live Aid concerts.

Michael J. Fox raises money for Parkinson disease

Harry Connick raised money for New Orleans area musicans and families affected by the hurricane.

Katie Couric money was raised for colorectal cancer research.

I'm not going to even hazzard to guess what our dear Bono did to alledgely raise the 150 million.

So you see folks; they ain't writing the bloody checks!

Which is a problem with many celebrities. They who have so much, usually donate less than 10% of their actual income.

(I'm sorry to put a damper on things, but it is what it is)

Last edited:
msdw59 said:
They who have so much, usually donate less than 10% of their actual income.

Well, I certainly can't afford to donate anywhere near 10% of my income even if I want to, so I'm still giving props to the people on that list.

Liesje said:
Wow! You should post that in EYKIW for all the nay-sayers.

What's the source of the info?

I was doing a search of academic journals on an archives site for this paper I am writing, and came across. Like I said, it's little publicized, but I'm guessing by now it's prolly on a lot of sites as there are links to this article in many journals. :)

To all the naysayers: The top 18 charitable stars:

To the issue of AIDS and development in Africa, here are some little publicized actual dollar amounts:

Bono DONATED $150M
Bob Geldof DONATED $130M
Jay Leno DONATED $50M
Denis Leary DONATED $8M
Brad Pitt DONATED $3.4M

BONO donated $150 MILLION!

:D

:rockon:

I suspect that sum is an accumulation of Bonos work with the 'Drop the Dept Campaign', DATA, ONE and (RED) plus personal donations he's made over the years. But it also just goes to show that despite all this money that all these people have donated, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people/organisations who have donated monies to fighting AIDS in Africa but who are not listed here, that it's still not enough to help the poorest of the poor! Africa needs fair trade more than aid. :yes:

youvedonewhat said:
Does it really matter how it comes about as long as it comes about?

duh...:huh:

Usually I would have sat on the perferrity on this matter, but I felt compelled to replied when I saw the heading on the original post and then I looked at who the listed celebrities were.

It's innaccurate to report that the money raised was for the African Aids and Development effort when it actually isn't.

I know it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to think that our dear Bono is doing wonderful things. But let's report was is accurate and factual instead of what is not the truth.

I would feel better about hearing about what was actually done vs. what was made up fantasty philanthropy concocted by spinmasters.

silvrlvr said:
If Bono donated $150 million, what's left for Ali and the kids? Cause that's about what each band member is worth.

He gave it all sans the clothes on their respective backs.
It's what some have said he should do.
heehee just kidding of course.. :wink:
You know he's worth more than 150M, that's just probably what he made over the last couple of years. He has a lot of irons in the fire. Anyway I don't have a clue and also curious where this article is from.

It's more like they assisted in raising that amount of money over the course of a decade(or two).

Which is a problem with many celebrities. They who have so much, and yet they usually donate less than 10% of their actual income.

Elton has been hosting the hollywood party that raised 10M to 15 M for Aids (annually)

Paul Newman has raised his money through salad dressings and other products over the course of 2 decades. Most of the money was donated for camps for children with cancer located in the United States. If this organization has a global initative now; that is something that has been a recent occurrence.

Oprah is currently building schools in Africa and has only recently pledged to donate 60M.

Geldoff money is the result of fundraising from Aid for Africa and Live Aid concerts.

Harry Connick raised money for New Orleans area musicans and families affected by the hurricane.

I'm not going to even hazzard to guess what our dear Bono did to alledgely raise the 150 million.

Which is a problem with many celebrities. They who have so much, usually donate less than 10% of their actual income.

Re: To all the naysayers: The top 18 charitable stars:

Babydoll said:

Bono DONATED $150M
Bob Geldof DONATED $130M
Jay Leno DONATED $50M
Denis Leary DONATED $8M
Brad Pitt DONATED $3.4M

BONO donated $150 MILLION!

:D

:rockon:

Usually I would have sat on the perferrity on this matter, but I felt compelled to replied when I saw the heading on the original post and then I looked at who the listed celebrities were.

It's innaccurate to report that the money raised was for the African Aids and Development effort when it actually isn't.

I know it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to think that our dear Bono is doing wonderful things. But let's report was is accurate and factual instead of what is not the truth.

I would feel better about hearing about what was actually done vs. what was made up fantasty philanthropy concocted by spinmasters.

Re: The 18 Top Charitable Stars....

Babydoll said:

Bono DONATED $150M
Pff... that's IT? :tsk: He could've done so much more.

elevated_u2_fan said:
:eyebrow:

More importantly, how much have all of YOU donated, hmmm??? :shifty:

I'm appart of the slubs of the universe. I give 10% (my firm matches me dollar for dollar - so it's a win -win) and I donate my time.

So I walk the walk.

LOL

how can they know how much bono has donated? i thought teling other people about that sort of thing was against all biblical teaching.

:madspit: Not to mention his time, energy to fly around and talk to leaders! again, and again, if needed!! i know he had One big job with music..but I sure admire his commitment to his word! I sure hope he can retire from one of them!! Any nay sayers wanna step up and take it off his hands so he can consentrate on his one job ya think he should ONLY be doing? NO? No takers? I didn't think so!! Sorry, but that has been something I just had to get off my chest!! Bravo Bono!! **You Keep Right ON Talking All YOU have to!!:up: :applaud:

:wink: And, all the giving you do!! you see, they give a lot more than you think, they just don't always 'blow their own horn' about it! they just do it!!

Where oh where is the link o'credibility?

Last year Bill Gates announced his foundation was donating 100 million per year for the next 5 years for a total of 500 million. Yet I don't see him on the list...

Back
Top Bottom