MERGED ----> There are too many flaws on best of + Gone/SATS Bastardized! + Sorry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bastian

The Fly
There are too many flaws on the new best of

1. Why the lyric change in Mysterious ways?
It's a real pity...

2. The only mix I like is GONE:

A. SATS was perfect like it was on POP!!!
the new version hasn't got the strenght and the feeling
of the original one:angry:

B. I don't like the intro of DISCOTHEQUE at all,it sounds too
much like a b-side mix:eyebrow:

C. NUMB is a little worst of the original :eyebrow:

3. I don't understate Miss Sarajevo's inclusion(and It's also
a poor version...:eyebrow:)

4. Why the Fly only on the UK and japanese packages?
I'm sorry but I'm not satisfied at all :no:

I used to comiserate a bit with all the people moaning and stuff... but after getting it myself.. all i have to say is the dvd alone is worth the price.

and what U2SavesTheWorld said

1. Why are so many fans complaining so much about a re packaging of songs they already have anyway?

2. Did the original versions evaporate from you original CD's when this was released? (If so, I can burn you a copy of the original)

3. Last time I checked, it is U2's music and they do whatever the hell they want with it. They obviously were not happy with a few of the original versions of songs so they chose to re-do a few.

4. U2 are damned if they do and damned if they dont by some of the die hards. On the first Best Of the complaint was only one re-working of a B side, what a waste. So the next Best Of they re work 4 songs and give us 2 new ones. Are the "fans" happy? Apparantly not, they are pissed because they are not the original versions they already have??? Think about it, does that even make sense???!!!!!!!!

I'am sorry, I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the bitching about a greatest hits album is just ridiculous IMO. If U2 hadnt put new songs on there and done the re-working I wouldnt have even bought the album because I would have had everthing on it anyway.

How can people not be lovin' this???

I am so excited! I am lovin' it! :hyper:

So many of the B-sides make me wanna dance!!! :dance:

*wishes I wasn't stuck in class so I could go listen some more* :kiss:

SkeeK said:
I used to comiserate a bit with all the people moaning and stuff... but after getting it myself.. all i have to say is the dvd alone is worth the price.

and what U2SavesTheWorld said

I am in total agreement with you Skeek on this one. :yes:

I love it and it is one hell of a deal...$14.99 for 2 cd's and a DVD is beyond generous.

One complaint? Where is the version of "Electrical Storm" with the guitar ad-libs on the chorus like on the MP3 from BBC Radio? Neither version here have it and that's the best bit of the song! :no: :p

OK - fuck this. I think this is a bunch of crap, I think ANYONE here is allowed to state their opinions about the music released. I mean why not? We are all obviously very big fans, if we are not allowed to critique the music, who is? If not here, where?

I have to say that I agree with most of Bastian's points and may repeat a few but here are mine:

Mysterious Ways lyric change is terrible. What Bono says is totally incomprehnsible.

I actually like the SATS remix, as well as the Numb one, but Discotheque sucks. They took a bad song and made it worse. It was such a bad song the BOOMCHAS actually helped it by mocking itself. Now they took out the only comedy the song ever had.

Why is Miss Sarajevo on this - it flat out sucks. How about any of the ZOO songs? They named a tour, and an album after those songs, but it did not make it on the best of when the First Time did???

And where the hell is the Fly - that is a true shame!!!

Plus the mix is so strange. One into Miss Sarajevo into stay into Stuck - very down and depressing...

I have to say the B-Sides disc is much better...

I wouldn't call them flaws, it's all a matter of taste. For example, you diss the Discotheque remix and I like it better!! I'm not too happy with the Gone one, but it's okay! I really dislike most of what was on the b sides cd, especially Happiness is a Warm Gun which sucks worse than anything they've ever done IMO and all that techno sounding crap. I wouldn't have released those things at all, and why put those on there and leave off The Fly, Please and WGRYWH from the package? However, b sides also has a great version of ES and Summer Rain which I love! It is their music and it's up to them to decide what will be released, so oh well! Hey, you can't please everybody but isn't there enough on there to make us all happy in some way? I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY BEST OF overall! :yes: I'm thrilled to have it! :up:

ouizy said:
OK - fuck this. I think this is a bunch of crap, I think ANYONE here is allowed to state their opinions about the music released. I mean why not? We are all obviously very big fans, if we are not allowed to critique the music, who is? If not here, where?

I have to say that I agree with most of Bastian's points and may repeat a few but here are mine:

Mysterious Ways lyric change is terrible. What Bono says is totally incomprehnsible.

I actually like the SATS remix, as well as the Numb one, but Discotheque sucks. They took a bad song and made it worse. It was such a bad song the BOOMCHAS actually helped it by mocking itself. Now they took out the only comedy the song ever had.

Why is Miss Sarajevo on this - it flat out sucks. How about any of the ZOO songs? They named a tour, and an album after those songs, but it did not make it on the best of when the First Time did???

And where the hell is the Fly - that is a true shame!!!

Plus the mix is so strange. One into Miss Sarajevo into stay into Stuck - very down and depressing...

I have to say the B-Sides disc is much better...

As I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is my opinion that bitching about re workings of songs you already have the originals of is still ridiculous. So what, you dont like the greatest hits. Dont buy it. Who the hell cares! U2 were actually throwing the "fans" a bone here IMO. Would you have been happy with this if it had been all the original version with no re workings and no new songs? There would be WAY more bitching about that. Once again, U2 damned if they do, damned if they dont.

I think the next time you see the band you need to sit down with them and make sure they do exactly as you want. You know, so things arent quite so reprehensible.

Critique away on the re working, new songs, etc. But to act like this is some type of travesty or reprehensible is WAY out there. IT IS A GREATEST HITS PACKAGE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Last edited:
ok....my 2p........(I would say 2 cents but I live in england....)

Discotheque is a lot better on Pop......in my humble opinion......(I miss the Boom Cha's!!!)

but also in my humble opinion the new mix of Numb kicks ass.....as does Gone......

SATS is no worse and no better......

Miss Sarajevo is a great song....although I live in Europe, and I appreciate the magnitude of sobriety and vastness behind the whole BEING of this song.....(not saying that others outside of Europe don't, but we had daily news about this and what was happening IN OUR CONTINENT.....eventually.....and it was completely terrible......that gives this song a greater context as far as I'm concerned....)

And living in the UK - I got The Fly on my Best Of...there is some dispute about why this happened. Personally I think it was probably because The Fly got to Number 1 in the Uk, and they figured including it would make The Best Of sell.......I don't care....I'm happy!!!!!

PS anyone tried listening to Best of 1980 - 1990 and 1990 - 2000 back to back yet? As someone on Wire said "wow f***ing wow" Doing this back to back listen just shows to me why I'm a U2 fan.....and all I'd recommend is doing what I did - listening to both best ofs back to back, then listening to the MSN chat......OH DEAR GOD I NEED TO MOVE TO DUBLIN AND BE THEIR FRIENDS!!!!!!

kind of sums up to me why I'm a U2 fan, and why it kicks ass so much......

Just try it some time......(the back to back listening that is!!!!!)

Stupid question, but can anybody tell me what's on the bonus DVD? Since this is just a compilation of stuff I already have, I won't rush out to buy it today unless the DVD is really cool. :)

Oh, and since this is a thread about complaining, I guess I should blow off some steam:

--The ATYCLB tracks are completely out of place. So is "The Hands That Built America," which is a waste of space especially because it's going to be on the Gangs of New York soundtrack in a month or so and it has really nothing to do with U2 and the nineties.
--Of course, many tracks I like are missing. Not obscure fan favorites either, but songs like "The Fly" and "Lemon" that had reasonable chances of making the set.
--"Your Blue Room" isn't a B-side; it's actually pretty easy to find because it's on an album (I wouldn't have minded if it was on the first disc, though). And what's with all the bloody remixes when there are so many excellent B-sides and assorted rareties from the period absent?
--I think the new mixes on the first disc are kind of silly.
--The "Miss Sarajevo" edit. Haven't these people suffered enough without you destroying their song?!

Okay, so some stuff I like too:

--"Miss Sarajevo," "Gone," and "Until the End of the World" are on it.
--I love the cover art.

And stuff I'm completely indifferent to:

--"Electrical Storm."

Last edited:
Yes, the DVD is really cool. And for some reason all the songs sound really fresh. The remixes rock (except, I miss the BoomChas- big time). Very much worth the bucks.

ok ,

this is a best of compilation with few remixed and new tracks + what U2 think was best in 1990-2000 . I respect thier opinion ,

new mixes - ok , just ok , however originals were better , i always have my original cd's and it's fun listen to new mix of your old favourites .

b-sides - very good , b-sides + remixes , i like that U2

extra DVD - is the best part , i like all about it , especially that POP era described as much as everything else , that it's there .

I do not miss the boomchas and think their absence is partly what makes the remix so much better than the original. I don't like the Gone remix much because it's too funked up and it loses some of its melody.

SkeeK said:
.. all i have to say is the dvd alone is worth the price.

...and actually let me add that the reworkings of some of the songs is strange yes, but it's a novelty and it kind of makes this CD special in it's uniqueness. I am disapointed with the lyric change in Mysterious Ways... but other than that I think U2 did a real good job of shaking it up, giving out fan favourites and providing us with a taste of something new.

:wave: I salute you U2. :dance:

Last edited:
Here is an answer to your problem...take all the songs on the Best of that you have on your cds from 1990-2000, even the original Pop songs, put on the two new songs, heck even put on a few of your favorite songs that in your estimation aren't on there, burn them on a cd, put on some artwork, slip in back into the new Best of case with its awesome artwork and booklet (in my estimation), and your good to go...I sometimes am amazed how U2 just can't seem to make everyone happy. Geez...if they are the greatest rock band in the world, you think they would have figured out by now how to make all of us happy.:tongue:

Chris

Mattress said:
I love it and it is one hell of a deal...$14.99 for 2 cd's and a DVD is beyond generous.

A-freaking-men!

I also miss the boom-chas.

And Miss Sarajevo is only one of the best songs U2 has ever done. There was no way it wouldn't be on this compilation.

Also, everybody's talking about them butchering it ... the version on the Best Of is, and always has been, the single version of the song. I've had the CD single for years (I had it before I bought Passengers) and when I heard the long version on Passengers the first time I was like WTF? Now I like that version, but it's not like they randomly ripped out a chunk of the song just for this Best Of.

Mattress said:

No kidding! I saw the price, and I was like, holy crap, is that right??????? :shifty: :D

i agree with both sides..smile and be happy

well my heart is where its always been
LURVE
she slippy

ITS ALRIGHT
ITS ALRIGHT

[color=dark blue]its a beautiful day dont let it get away!!!!!!!![/color]
youre in my mind all of the time
i know thats not enough

one love
one life
one love we get to share it

[color=dark red]is there a time to run for cover
a time for kiss and tell[/color]
hey now
red light grey morning
a vampire or a victim...

i never thought u were a fool
but darling look at you
these tears are goin nowhere

you get to feel so guilty
you got so much for so little
you were holdin onto everything so tightly
till theres nothing left for you anyway

everybody having a good time
except you
you were talking about the end of the world

YOU MISS TOO MUCH THESE DAYS IF YOU STOP TO THINK
oh my love
its a long way we've come
from diggin in our pockets
for a reason not to say goodbye

you can reach
you can hold it
you can push
UUURRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
you just cant get enough of that lovey dovey stuff

you're a star
they dont know what you're doing
babe it must be art
youre a hEaDaChE in a SuITcAsE

over me and over you
stuck together with god's glue
don't think at all

dont cheat, compete,
dont miss the one beat
dont hover at the gate

she got soul, soul, soul sweet soul
gives me hope when i cant believe
that for the first time
i feel love...

Blue Room said:

As I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is my opinion that bitching about re workings of songs you already have the originals of is still ridiculous. So what, you dont like the greatest hits. Dont buy it. Who the hell cares! U2 were actually throwing the "fans" a bone here IMO. Would you have been happy with this if it had been all the original version with no re workings and no new songs? There would be WAY more bitching about that. Once again, U2 damned if they do, damned if they dont.

I would have to agree here. Most fans who probably notice the difference between the remixes & the originals most likely have the originals anyway. You can always listen to them. It's not like they are suddenly unavailable. The fact that there are 4 (or 5) new remixes on there is a plus IMO. I prefer most of the original mixes as well, but at least it's something different. If you have all three of U2's 90's albums, I don't know how you can feel ripped off.

:banghead:

...and last time I checked, nobody from the U2 camp is holding a gun to our heads and saying, "You MUST buy this!"

:sad: Still haven't gotten a chance to listen to the CDs yet, but the DVD...:drool: What a great little gem! I'm so pumped!

But I have a question...does anyone know where the live version of "Please" was performed? I don't think it said...or maybe it did and i just missed it...???

Well I paid $22.99 at wal mart and i dont even have a dvd player yet, but oh well.

For my hard-earned, I feel I have the right to say the following:

"Hands" completely sucks. Maybe it will grow on me, i doubt it though as it sounds like funeral music.

"Discoteque" sucks worse than it did before, musch worse though as i liked it a little before.

"SATS" no this is what I call butchered. The pop version was a great song, this mix is ruined. I am sorry to say that about SATS but i wonder why they did that to the best song off of pop.

"NUMB", well i think it is okay at best.

but

"Gone" good job:up:
I like the way the jazzed it up a bit and incorporated the live sound to it. I really applaud this one.

"Miss Sarejevo" still a beautiful song :up:

"ES" good too of course :up:

I am just now hearing the b sides :)

I agree it is their choice to put what they want on there, but i would rather see them add great songs like "please, the fly, or last night on earth" than completely :censored: up some already great classic hits.

Last edited:
spanisheyes said:
Here is an answer to your problem...take all the songs on the Best of that you have on your cds from 1990-2000, even the original Pop songs, put on the two new songs, heck even put on a few of your favorite songs that in your estimation aren't on there, burn them on a cd, put on some artwork, slip in back into the new Best of case with its awesome artwork and booklet (in my estimation), and your good to go...I sometimes am amazed how U2 just can't seem to make everyone happy. Geez...if they are the greatest rock band in the world, you think they would have figured out by now how to make all of us happy.:tongue:

Chris

That is a brilliant suggestion for all of the *complainers* in here (me NOT being one of them). :yes:

wertsie said:

But I have a question...does anyone know where the live version of "Please" was performed? I don't think it said...or maybe it did and i just missed it...???

It was filmed in Helsinki on August 9,1997
Wish we could have Pop on DVD soon too!!! (Or another Pop show!)

I will gladly buy everything that u2 puts out, but that doesn't mean i will blindly embrace it as if they are perfect

their next album had better have "the mother of all tunes" or what ever to make up for this retarded setlist, :censored: up new mixes, etc

simply put, it better rock to make up for this

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom