MERGED-->THE perfect HTDAAB running order!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: I've done it! THE perfect HTDAAB running order!

U2girl said:

Hard to mix the songs, I tried this:

Vertigo
Alll because of you (to kick things off lively)
Miracle Drug (still lots of guitar, yet some keyboards and somewhat less tempo to ease the transition)
Sometimes
City of blinding lights
Original of the species
A man and a woman (the pop duo)
Crumbs (and back for some more guitar songs)
Love and peace (U2 always has a rocker in the back of the album)
One step closer
Yahweh

I don't think it's hard at all. I rarely ever listen to HTDAAB in the original order.

I don't know why so many people refuse to move Yahweh from the final spot.

I don't like OOTS and AMAAW next to each other. OOTS goes better with MD and MD goes better later in the record.

All about opinion though.

I just happen to think mine is the perfect running order. I can't imagine one that's more enjoyable to listen to. And I've tried quite a few orders, even some that are similar to yours.

And no Fast Cars?

I don't know where else to put Yahweh BUT the last spot. (Yes I was tempted to put One step closer as a closer but then comes the question what to do with Yahweh)

I don't see Drug going with Original, personally. Original is most mainstream sounding, and somewhat acoustic, so that is why I "paired" it with A man and a woman. I think Drug belongs early in the album.

I will try out your tracklist though.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

I disagree with all of the above. I don't like the record ending on an uplifting song. I will always prefer the record ending on the downbeat OSC.

You and everyone else who has said that FC doesn't fit with the record are just....I can't say you're wrong because it's all opinion-based but I SO want to. It feels SO natural when coming right after AMAAW.

I love Mercy but I love AMAAW too. You can't just take one out.

Firstly, I don't see how you can put Vertigo anywhere but #1, and the reason for that is that NOTHING flows well into 'uno, dos, tres, catorce'.

Secondly...you say MD->OOTS is brilliant yet you're not using it.

Thirdly, not a fan of starting things with COBL...It gives the record too much of a sugary feeling right off the bad.

You argue way to much. Give it a rest already.

U2girl said:
I don't know where else to put Yahweh BUT the last spot. (Yes I was tempted to put One step closer as a closer but then comes the question what to do with Yahweh)

I don't see Drug going with Original, personally. Original is most mainstream sounding, and somewhat acoustic, so that is why I "paired" it with A man and a woman. I think Drug belongs early in the album.

I will try out your tracklist though.

I know nobody will probably agree with me, but whenever I listen to One Step Closer as the final track I put Yahweh as the first song.

Kind of interesting. My perfect playlist is very similar in spots. It goes:

1//Vertigo
2//All Because of You
3//Miracle Drug
4//Love and Peace or Else
5//Crumbs from Your Table
6//A Man and a Woman
7//Fast Cars
8//Original of the Species
9//One Step Closer
10//Sometimes You Can't
11//City of Blinding Lights
12//Yahweh

Kept two of the strongest for the end. I agree with Ruckman -- Fast Cars fits great after A Man and a Woman.

nathan1977 said:
Kind of interesting. My perfect playlist is very similar in spots. It goes:

1//Vertigo
2//All Because of You
3//Miracle Drug
4//Love and Peace or Else
5//Crumbs from Your Table
6//A Man and a Woman
7//Fast Cars
8//Original of the Species
9//One Step Closer
10//Sometimes You Can't
11//City of Blinding Lights
12//Yahweh

Kept two of the strongest for the end. I agree with Ruckman -- Fast Cars fits great after A Man and a Woman.

Why did you call me Ruckman?

unnamed_streets said:

:laugh: so THAT'S what it is! I was trying to figure out what the hell your name meant. :laugh:

I hope you're not thinking of a football position. People keep saying it's a football position and that has nothing to do with my name here.

namkcuR said:

I hope you're not thinking of a football position. People keep saying it's a football position and that has nothing to do with my name here.

No... I don't know anything about the football position. I prefer the real football, to be honest. :uhoh: :wink:

unnamed_streets said:

No... I don't know anything about the football position. I prefer the real football, to be honest. :uhoh: :wink:

I am talking about real football, not American football.

Wait..what DO you think Ruckman means?

unnamed_streets said:
I thought I knew my football (soccer of course)... What DOES it mean???

I don't know what it means in the context of football other than that people have said it's a position.

The reason it is my name here, is because namkcuR = Ruckman backwards, Ruckman is my last name.

I just finished listening to this running order again and it is EASILY the most enjoyable order for HTDAAB for me.

Oh, oh, I've got it! The perfect playlist.

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. City of Blinding Lights
6. All Because of You
7. A Man and a Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer
10. Original of the Species
11. Yahweh
Bonus Track: Fast Cars

Basically, I ALWAYS prefer the artists vision for albums. U2 make had their albums flow a certain way for a reason...Here's another way I look at it; I wouldn't go into a art gallery with a paintbrush and "fix" things I didn't necessarily like, I take it for what it's worth and try to get the story the artist is trying to tell.

ImOuttaControl said:

Here's another way I look at it; I wouldn't go into a art gallery with a paintbrush and "fix" things I didn't necessarily like, I take it for what it's worth and try to get the story the artist is trying to tell.

That analogy doesn't work here. This is 4 artists we're talking about who have to agree with one another about the track order.

This is 4 artists we're talking about who have to agree with one another about the track order.

Exactly!

If one person has a great idea for the list, and another person has another idea, then the final product will end up being a compromise.

There is nothing wrong with criticising the work of artists anyway. If nothing else it is a great exercise in personal creativity. And if we never doubt or question what has already been done then how are we supposed to ever improve upon things?

unnamed_streets said:

That analogy doesn't work here. This is 4 artists we're talking about who have to agree with one another about the track order.

The analogy most certainly does work here. What's the difference if it's 4 artists working together or 1 artist? They are a group and came to the consensus of how they wanted to present their art. It's fine if people want to play around with playlists, but the only real HTDAAB is the one U2 put out. The fan-made playlists aren't representative of what the artist intended, so they're more of a collection of songs. Like I already said, I'm more interested in decypering the album the way the artist intended it to sound than making my own list. Each to their own.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in decypering the album the way the artist intended it to sound than making my own list.

Don't worry, we have all done plenty of that. Why not do both?

That's why I prefer making up tour setlists over albums ones...because it's impossible not to be influenced by the final version of the album. With tour setlists, anything's possible.:wink:

Sorry for posting this as a new thread but...

... I just had to see what reaction it would get. I liked both namkcuR and Hoodlem's lists for different reasons and so made one of my own which I think is definitely better than the album version. Tell me what you think. By the way, if you're bored of this topic, you don't have to reply. :wink:

SIDE A
1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. City Of Blinding Lights
5. Original Of The Species
6. One Step Closer

SIDE B
7. All Because Of You
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. A Man And A Woman
10. Fast Cars
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Yahweh

Some observations:
1. LAPOE felt totally out of place at #4. So I moved it to the end where Fast Cars perfectly transitions into it.
2. Original is a nice calm after the storm that is City and one Step is a nice end to side A (quoting Hoodlem)
3. Didn't want to keep Vertigo and ABOY together because both are loud, rocking and too similar, they even end with almost the same sound.

Pretty good tracklisting, the only thing I object to is splitting apart Original and Yahweh, they seem to be inseparable for me, like one is a natural progression from the other.

That is pretty good u-s.

The giggest problem I have is just Vertigo-->MD at the beginning. That is judt to much of a transition to make that early on.

SIDE A

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. All Because of You
3. A Man And A Woman
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. Crumbs From Your Table

Side B

6. Vertigo
7. Miracle Drug
8. One Step Closer
9. Love And Peace Or Else
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yaweh

Regarding LaPoE right after OSC - OSC sounds like it is a quick intro for LaPoE this way, and doesn't highlight OSC's melody as much as it does on the regular tracklist. See for yourself!

Back
Top Bottom