MERGED --->the lyrics of the brand-new song 'The Hands That Built America'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ishkash

War Child
Lyrics for The Hands That Built America

(Unofficial lyrics, deciphered by fans)

Oh my love, it's a long way we've come.
From the freckled hills, to the steel and glass canyons.
From the stony fields, to hanging steel from the sky.
From digging in our pockets, for a reason not to say goodbye.

These are the hands, that build America.
Ahhhh America.

Last saw your face, in a water colour sky.
As sea birds argue, a long goodbye.
I took your kiss, on the spray of the new land star.
You gotta live with your dreams, don't make them so hard, ohh ohh.

And these are the hands, that built America.
Ahhhh America.

Of all of the promises, is this one we could keep?
Of all of the dreams, is this one still out of reach.

Halle, Ole

It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York sky line.
Innocence, dragged across a yellow line.
These are the hands that built America.
Ahhhh America.
Ahhhh America.

from U2tour.de, courtsey U2log.com
http://www.u2tour.de/news/article728.html

Last edited:
the lyrics of the brand-new song 'The Hands That Built America'

From u2tour.de

'The Hands That Built America'-Lyrics
thx to Shane, Arran, Bj?rn & Didi

Oh my love, it's a long way we've come.
From the freckled hills, to the steel and glass canyons.
From the stony fields, to hanging steel from the sky.
From digging in our pockets, for a reason not to say goodbye.

These are the hands, that build America.
Ahhhh America.

Last saw your face, in a water colour sky.
As sea birds argue, a long goodbye.
I took your kiss, on the spray of the new land star.
You gotta live with your dreams, don't make them so hard, ohh ohh.

And these are the hands, that built America.
Ahhhh America.

Of all of the promises, is this one we could keep?
Of all of the dreams, is this one still out of reach.

Halle, Ole

It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York sky line.
Innocence, dragged across a yellow line.
Ahhhh America.
Ahhhh America.

Hoping the two concurrent threads would be merged.The link above has some interesting information

"u2tour.de had the possibility to listen to the entire 'Best Of 1990-2000'. As you can think we've tried to figure out the lyrics of the brand-new song 'The Hands That Built America' (see below).
We will post a complete review of CD1 in german and english this evening CET, expect the review for the B-Sides CD tomorrow. As a teaser expect a quite interesting version of 'Numb' with new backing vocals. "-- U2tour.de

As mentioned above here is their review

http://www.u2tour.de/news/article729.html#engl_version

As promised here is an english translation of our (p)review for the new U2-album 'The Best Of 1990-2000'. We wanted to leave the discussion about the selection of the tracks beside, we just wanted to concentrate on reviewing the tracks on the album.

At the beginning are the songs which were not changed in lyrics and mix. These are the songs 'Even Better Than The Real Thing', 'One', 'Until The End Of The World' of the album 'Achtung Baby' from 1991. From Zooropa of the year 1993 are 'Stay (Faraway, So Close!)' and 'The First Time'. Further unchanged tracks like 'Beautiful Day' and 'Stuck In A Moment' from the album 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' (2000) have found their way on this compilation. But even these obviously unchanged tracks sound much better and more fresh now, the digital sound techniques improved a lot over the last 10 years!

Infos: New Tracks (to date on no other release)
Infos: Revised Tracks

Here's a list of the revised tracks:

Mysterious Ways (Achtung Baby/1991):
The first song which has a slightly change is track Nr. 2 'Mysterious Ways'. Unremarkable the first time you listen to it, but here was a change of lyrics: At 1:35 min the line 'She's the wave, she turns the tide, she sees the man inside the child' has been changed to 'She's the wave, she'll turn the tide, and no question, she knows why.' Maybe this is a tribute to Edge?s and Morleigh?s wedding? After all, it's their song.

Miss Sarajevo (Original Soundtracks 1/1995):
The next obvious change is the lenght of this version of 'Miss Sarajevo'. This songs has been edited by about 90 seconds by cutting instrumental parts at 2:30 min and a faster fade out than in the original. So the song with its lenght of 04:32 min is about 90 sec shorter than the original version on the album.

Gone (Pop/1997):
The new version of this song is far more ?trashy? than the original. Bono?s guitar as well as Larry?s drums take much more room in the foreground and sound more closer, and intense. Remarkable is above all the great transparency of the recording. In comparison to the 1997 version the difference is obvious ? one can suddenly hear instruments that before were hardly audible in the mix. And Bono?s guitar-retch comes across even better than in the song?s live version. The song is only slightly longer (8 seconds) than the version found on Pop.

Discotheque (Pop/1997):
Probably the song with the most changes compared to the original. With a nod to the live version of this song (as part of the regular set during the Popmart Tour, and occasionally played during the Elevation Tour) the recording is now clearer and its groove far more emphasised through the use of shaker-clicks, as well as Edge?s guitar. Also the song?s bridge is now far more dominant in the mix ? whether this is due to Mike Hedges? production or merely new studio technology (24 bit quality) is speculation. Completely new in this version are the intro as well as the end of the song. Thus the entire ?boom-cha? part towards the end of the song has now disappeared (shame, I always considered this the best part), as well as the ?love? bridges sung by Bono. As a result the song is now also shorter (04:42 min) than the original version.

Staring at the Sun (Pop/1997):
Another clearly reworked track, and again the arrangement shows influences of the song?s live version. Particularly Edge?s vocals have been moved into the foreground. Unfortunately, a new drum loop, which was probably intended to add a ?cool touch? to this new version, is rather irritating and makes the song a little dull. All in all this version reminds one of the remixes and b-sides of the Pop singles. With 04.49 min slightly longer than the original version.

Numb (Zooropa/1993):
Also this song features a number of changes. Most remarkably, though the lyrics, there is clearly a new background vocal in the chorus. Apart from the ?Fat Lady?s? (aka Bono) high-pitched but tender ?I feel numb? there is now another stronger and low ?I feel numb? added ? on first listening we thought one of us was singing along, but it is indeed part of the new mix. Not a good idea, though, because the whole thing becomes rather repetitive and all in all is more annoying than enjoyable. There seem to be no other changes.

And now some infos on the new songs:

Electrical Storm (Best of 1990-2000/2002):
A great song, with hit potential! But unlike most U2 songs the song?s appeal lies not in the guitar hooks but the sung melody. Also quite rare for a U2 song is the chorus? guitar being played without delay. In return, the synthesiser parts are more clearly in the foreground. All in all very skilfully done, and a nice addition to the Best Of 1990-2000 album. The version of the song on the A-Sides CD of the limited edition of the album is a mix by William Orbit (who?s working credentials include Prince, Peter Gabriel, Blur and Madonna?s ?Ray of Light? album). The second, original version of the song can be found on the B-Sides CD of the limited edition album.

The hands that built America (Best of 1990-2000/2002):
This version is different, or at least differently mixed, from the one previously heard on U2.com. Judging from our first impression a very calm and atmospheric track with a powerful middle part. The song?s lyrics clearly point towards "Gangs of New York", which deals with Irish immigrants in the US: "Oh my love, it's a long way we've come. From the freckled hills, to the steel and glass canyons...From the stony fields, to hanging steel from the sky. From digging in our pockets..." Towards the end of the song the theme shifts towards September 11: "It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York sky line. Innocence, dragged across a yellow line" In the background of the second chorus one can hear a dialogue, which may be taken from the film itself. The song reminds us of David Bowie's 'This is not America' by David Bowie and Pat Metheny (by the way, another film soundtrack), and is particularly convincing through its use of strings, piano and acoustic guitar. A great song.

ishkash said:
Gone (Pop/1997):
The new version of this song is far more ?trashy? than the original. Bono?s guitar as well as Larry?s drums take much more room in the foreground and sound more closer, and intense. Remarkable is above all the great transparency of the recording. In comparison to the 1997 version the difference is obvious ? one can suddenly hear instruments that before were hardly audible in the mix. And Bono?s guitar-retch comes across even better than in the song?s live version. The song is only slightly longer (8 seconds) than the version found on Pop.

:ohmy: :hyper: :combust:

This is going to be great!

I am ready for some atmospheric material with "Hands"....it seems like a long time since something "mysterious" came our way.

Well I am very excited about THTBA.The lyrics doesnt seem to be "gran turismo" through American history.It gives a feel a la Red Hill Mining Town, where the subject is just used as a metaphor in which tormentation of emotions occur.

I rate Electrical Storm very highly, its one of the more "rockier" tunes and unlikely tunes U2 have done and if we get atmospheric ambience in THTBA, I'll very easily get through to the next album.

I think I may be the only one, but I am very pleased where U2 is heading.No added baggages (this includes Eno,Lanois, anyone else who brings influence in the studio except for U2) just hire someone best suited for a specific job.

I think I may be the only one, but I am very pleased where U2 is heading.No added baggages (this includes Eno,Lanois, anyone else who brings influence in the studio except for U2)

I agree with you Ishkash
As much as I have liked Eno and Lanois, it will be good to hear someone else's possible influence on the band. I would like to hear a album produced by the band but the album would never get finished due to U2's ever ending problem of finishing projects. They do need someone to funnel their creative energy.

Back
Top Bottom