MERGED ---> the fly.... why isnt it on now? + The Fly officially off the best of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still don't see how they could have conceivably left off 'Zooropa'. That song, more than other song in my opinion, is what U2 was about in the 90s: embracing uncertainty, and asking "What do you want?" That is the song that I would put on there, even ahead of 'Please' and 'Lemon'.

Michael Griffiths said:
I still don't see how they could have conceivably left off 'Zooropa'. That song, more than other song in my opinion, is what U2 was about in the 90s: embracing uncertainty, and asking "What do you want?" That is the song that I would put on there, even ahead of 'Please' and 'Lemon'.

Then The Wanderer should also be on the compilation. That song, more than any other song (IMHY :)) is what U2 was about in the 90s: sinning their way to salvation. And a great track it is too (I read yesterday on http://www.atu2.com that it is a despicable wretch narrating "The Wanderer" (as oppose to the baritone Voice of God singing it)). So that would be my vote (but I'm also happy with the tracklisting as it is now).

C ya!

Marty

what a great move!

i cant believe noone else isnt bitching about the exclusion of mofo.

oh this is so great...i mean so many good songs are being left off, like please, lemon, wanderer, mofo wgrywh and what not BUT we get such smokin great songs like the hands that build america and the all time great adult contemporary classic, the song that showed everyone that u2 really wanted NOT to be in the studio, always ready to put you to sleep *drum roll* stuck in a moment!!!!

how wonderful!

maybe everyone here is wrong about everything.

I would definitely put Mofo, Lemon and Zooropa on there, and The Fly too if its being left out (it'll probably be a hidden track anyway). I've been listening to Mofo a lot recently, and I'd have to say that I think its one U2's most exciting and best songs.:cool: It deserves more credit.

What do you think of this Best-Of listing? I've been listening to the songs in this order and it sounds superb in my opinion:

1.Zooropa
2.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
3.Until The End Of The World
4.Staring At The Sun
5.Ultraviolet
6.Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
7.Discotheque
8.Mysterious Ways
9.Even Better Than The Real Thing
10.Stay
11.One
12.Numb
13.Mofo
14.The Fly
15.Lemon

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:
I think the tracklisting will be better when The Fly is officially included (although I think it's still weird to be an album closer) and The First Time moved to the hidden/bonus track section. Don't get me wrong, I love The First Time (it's the best song on Zooropa, IMHO), but it is indeed a hidden gem. So, just like October on the first Best Of, it maybe works best as an extra track (and as it is quite downtempo it's also a perfect album closer).
:yes:

Condireing play time

The total play time of the 16 tracks of the album is something close to 72 minutes according to my calculations, and almost certainly not less (it includes some guesswork when it comes to the new mixes and THTBA). If you add the fly, it gets close to 77 minutes.

I know that usually the audio CD standard is 74 minutes. Most audio CD's sold today are less than 74 minutes. In some cases, like live concerts and compilations or really long albums audio CD's can also reach up to 80 minutes of play time. Obviously, CD play time is the limiting factor that makes the album have 16 or 17 tracks and not 25, there were quite some good songs left out. So, to make guesses if The Fly will be in, we'll first have to see if there's place for it in the CD.

I don't have any Best of 80-90 handy, but if someone does please post the toal playtime of the CD. If it less than 74 minutes, then most probably the fly can't even fit in since U2 didn't use the large capacity CD's for their first best of and won't do that now. If it's close to 80 minutes, this means that they will use 80 mins CD's and they will fill up all the space, so The Fly is most probably in...

ok

ok lets sum it up
we miss: Ultraviolet
MOFO
Lemon
Dead Man
Please
Daddy's (Am I wrong but didnt this song won some competition of best song from each album ? )

i just wanna let know that "voxson" that yet in 1994 Prodigy released 77 minute long album on 1 CD .....so why not u2 in 2002 ?

i wish , u2 released The Singles 1990-2000 , better for me , i think it will be realeased , when u2 will be in thier 50's

i thought that the fly was a hidden track (i read it somewhere but can't remember where now)...if it isn't included then i will be seriously pissed off......it's my 2nd fave U2 song ever.....

Back
Top Bottom