MERGED ---> the fly.... why isnt it on now? + The Fly officially off the best of - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2002, 10:57 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:49 AM

Aren't some people saying The Fly is the hidden track?

Old 09-03-2002, 11:12 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021
Aren't some people saying The Fly is the hidden track?
Yes.

Old 09-04-2002, 04:49 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 10:49 AM
The Fly officially off the best of

Those looking at u2.com today might have noticed that they reposted the best of tracklistings and the first time is the last track with the fly gone. Its also been noted on rollingstone.com and billboard.com

THIS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS>
the 1990's to me when looking at u2 was the fly and lemon. both are not on it and therefore, this best of is A FARCE>>>>>>>>>>>
They should remove The First Time (never was a single to begin with) and Staring at the Sun (this song bombed severly) and include these two tracks.

I guess the Fly isn't even on the DVD as well anymore. What a disgrace.............
Old 09-04-2002, 04:57 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

The reason why it was taken off the official tracklisting is because it will most likely be the hidden track.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:20 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:49 AM
soctheo - Not that i am defending the tracklisting completely, because i am quite dissapointed, most of all with the exlusion of Lemon and Please. But Staring at the Sun is a must on the album. Not only a great song, but it did NOT bomb. In fact it was top 25 in the U.S. (quite good for U2) and I believe number 1 in Canada.

Aside from that, the Fly should be the last song on the album with The First Time as the hidden track (if there even is a hidden track)
Old 09-04-2002, 07:07 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ericb
I know it wasn't a huge US chart hit, peaking at I think #61, but still wasn't it a #1 hit in the UK?
Ok so does this mean that they are gearing this best off for the US market???? kinda appears so when you look at both Lemon and The Fly- I remember that here in Australia that both of these songs went to either #1 or top 3 (just cant remember the exact figures) and appears that they were both kinda big elsewhere in the world, apart from America, please tell me this is not so, why do they always make everything so American (please dont flame me Americans) but you have to look at this from my perspective- no elevation tour here and now they leave off two of their biggest Australian hits from the 90s of their supposed best off- gee U2 really push my friendship sometimes!!!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 09:47 PM   #27
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:49 AM

Look what you've done, U2 -

You've taken all their lemons and left their flies down.

- z -
Old 09-05-2002, 01:58 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
Aside from that, the Fly should be the last song on the album with The First Time as the hidden track (if there even is a hidden track)
I agree with womanfish here. I think the tracklisting will be better when The Fly is officially included (although I think it's still weird to be an album closer) and The First Time moved to the hidden/bonus track section. Don't get me wrong, I love The First Time (it's the best song on Zooropa, IMHO), but it is indeed a hidden gem. So, just like October on the first Best Of, it maybe works best as an extra track (and as it is quite downtempo it's also a perfect album closer).
Then again, if I had my say about the total tracklisting we would have seen some differences (and maybe even more pissed off fans as there are now with this tracklisting).

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-05-2002, 09:54 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Honestly, I think the Fly is a perfect hidden track

"The First Time" plays, and you get all peaceful. The music fades away, and just a bit later... "The Fly" comes on and scares the bejeezus out of you. Putting it after "The First Time" really plays up the nature of the 90s, the unexpected sounds. It comes at you out of nowhere, and just BAM!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:30 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 03:49 AM
You know, when I came up with my proposed 90-00 tracklisting a few years ago, I actually had The Fly as the first song on the album, because its such a rocker. Might be interesting to see how it works as the last song. Right now, I don't like it. I think they could have made The First Time the hidden track, as it is much in the same vein as October. But we'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:20 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I still don't see how they could have conceivably left off 'Zooropa'. That song, more than other song in my opinion, is what U2 was about in the 90s: embracing uncertainty, and asking "What do you want?" That is the song that I would put on there, even ahead of 'Please' and 'Lemon'.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #32
you are what you is

I love it
I hope they'll change the track list again tomorrow
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-05-2002, 11:45 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
I still don't see how they could have conceivably left off 'Zooropa'. That song, more than other song in my opinion, is what U2 was about in the 90s: embracing uncertainty, and asking "What do you want?" That is the song that I would put on there, even ahead of 'Please' and 'Lemon'.
Then The Wanderer should also be on the compilation. That song, more than any other song (IMHY ) is what U2 was about in the 90s: sinning their way to salvation. And a great track it is too (I read yesterday on http://www.atu2.com that it is a despicable wretch narrating "The Wanderer" (as oppose to the baritone Voice of God singing it)). So that would be my vote (but I'm also happy with the tracklisting as it is now).

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-05-2002, 12:29 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

what a great move!

i cant believe noone else isnt bitching about the exclusion of mofo.

oh this is so great...i mean so many good songs are being left off, like please, lemon, wanderer, mofo wgrywh and what not BUT we get such smokin great songs like the hands that build america and the all time great adult contemporary classic, the song that showed everyone that u2 really wanted NOT to be in the studio, always ready to put you to sleep *drum roll* stuck in a moment!!!!

how wonderful!

maybe everyone here is wrong about everything.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:45 PM   #35
The Fly

I would definitely put Mofo, Lemon and Zooropa on there, and The Fly too if its being left out (it'll probably be a hidden track anyway). I've been listening to Mofo a lot recently, and I'd have to say that I think its one U2's most exciting and best songs. It deserves more credit.

What do you think of this Best-Of listing? I've been listening to the songs in this order and it sounds superb in my opinion:

1.Zooropa
2.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
3.Until The End Of The World
4.Staring At The Sun
5.Ultraviolet
6.Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
7.Discotheque
8.Mysterious Ways
9.Even Better Than The Real Thing
10.Stay
11.One
12.Numb
13.Mofo
14.The Fly
15.Lemon

Old 09-05-2002, 01:22 PM   #36
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
I think the tracklisting will be better when The Fly is officially included (although I think it's still weird to be an album closer) and The First Time moved to the hidden/bonus track section. Don't get me wrong, I love The First Time (it's the best song on Zooropa, IMHO), but it is indeed a hidden gem. So, just like October on the first Best Of, it maybe works best as an extra track (and as it is quite downtempo it's also a perfect album closer).
Old 09-06-2002, 06:45 PM   #37
The Fly

Condireing play time

The total play time of the 16 tracks of the album is something close to 72 minutes according to my calculations, and almost certainly not less (it includes some guesswork when it comes to the new mixes and THTBA). If you add the fly, it gets close to 77 minutes.

I know that usually the audio CD standard is 74 minutes. Most audio CD's sold today are less than 74 minutes. In some cases, like live concerts and compilations or really long albums audio CD's can also reach up to 80 minutes of play time. Obviously, CD play time is the limiting factor that makes the album have 16 or 17 tracks and not 25, there were quite some good songs left out. So, to make guesses if The Fly will be in, we'll first have to see if there's place for it in the CD.

I don't have any Best of 80-90 handy, but if someone does please post the toal playtime of the CD. If it less than 74 minutes, then most probably the fly can't even fit in since U2 didn't use the large capacity CD's for their first best of and won't do that now. If it's close to 80 minutes, this means that they will use 80 mins CD's and they will fill up all the space, so The Fly is most probably in...
Old 09-11-2002, 07:49 AM   #38
Babyface

Local Time: 10:49 AM
ok

ok lets sum it up
we miss: Ultraviolet
MOFO
Lemon
Dead Man
Please
Daddy's (Am I wrong but didnt this song won some competition of best song from each album ? )

i just wanna let know that "voxson" that yet in 1994 Prodigy released 77 minute long album on 1 CD .....so why not u2 in 2002 ?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:32 AM   #39
Banned

i wish , u2 released The Singles 1990-2000 , better for me , i think it will be realeased , when u2 will be in thier 50's
Old 09-18-2002, 11:03 AM   #40
The Fly

i thought that the fly was a hidden track (i read it somewhere but can't remember where now)...if it isn't included then i will be seriously pissed off......it's my 2nd fave U2 song ever.....