MERGED --> Songs U2 should drop from their setlist for the next tour + My two cents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Songs U2 should drop from their setlist for the next tour ...

Bullet The Blue Sky - getting tiring.

Until The End Of The World - we're all fed up with the bullfight sequence.

With Or Without You - wake me up when it's over.

What songs do you guys feel U2 should drop from their setlist?

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

why must we always bring negativity out of every positive thread?

*sigh*

i suppose i find bullet the blue sky is old, too. i never really liked the song. this may sound weird, but i think it eventually got a bit over-the-top. it eventually got too much...he'd be like "slappin em down, 100! 200! 300! *five hours later* 503,410! 503,420!"

at the very least, since they seem to agree with america's political views now (i'm not saying they're kissing our asses or anything) then i think they shouldn't also play anti-american songs.

new year's day,
with or without you,
pride.
although i love these three songs the current live versions lack the power and passion of the first live performances' in support of the albums they came off. maybe as a surprise performance every once in a while.
U2 should continue with their ZOO TV attitude of performing newer songs and then throw in some old songs for good measure.

Pride
New Years Day
I Will Follow
Desire

Removal of any other songs would be sacrelgious. ;)

With or Without You is the only song I would really consider leaving off a setlist in the future...it just doesn't match up to the intensity of previous tours (JT, Lovetown, and Zoo TV)...but the presentation of it this past tour more than made up for that.

That being said, I do agree with kingofsorrow, playing mostly new tunes would keep the performances fresh, and make the older songs a lot sweeter to hear.

How can you take out I Will Follow?

There are some standards that must be played and IMO I Will Follow is one of them.

I do agree with dropping BTBS.

In order to fit in new songs, old ones have to be dropped. I'd much rather hear Walk On or WILATW or Elevation than BTBS.

I think the solution is for them to start playing marathon Bruce-like three hour shows.

Oh, I'd also drop the Dancing With The Random Audience Girl in WOWY.
IMO its changed the meaning of the song. People stopped listening to the songs when Bono started pulling people up. In so many GA lines I would sit and listen to these slutty girls talking about how they had to get in the heart or near it because they just KNEW they were going to get pulled up at some point. I swear, one girl didn't know that WOWY was on JT. She just wanted to be pulled up....wasn't even really a fan.
Anyway, that is my babbling for this thread.

:rant:

-what you thought was freedom was just greed-

They should drop all of them except every song from Pop, they should just play Pop all the time every song, maybe some songs twice.

yeah. yeah yeah.

Re: Re: Songs U2 should drop from their setlist for the next tour ...

martha said:
New Year's Day
:eek: No no no. Not New Year's Day. I :heart: love that song. :hug:

I'd say Bad cos I never liked it, but most people here love it, so....:D

Desire has got to go.
period.
I am completely sick of this song; especially the lame "acoustic/audience participation" version they've done for the last 6 years.:censored:

U2SavesTheWorld said:
How can you take out I Will Follow?
:yes: at the very least, because it's the only freaking old song they play. the stuff from war came out after they'd started to get popular worldwide, but the boy/october stuff wasn't. now if they dropped it and put one or two older stuff in its place, that'd be fine with me.

JOFO said:
Desire has got to go.
period.
I am completely sick of this song; especially the lame "acoustic/audience participation" version they've done for the last 6 years.:censored:
god yes, it's so disappointing to hear that instead of something closer to its original version. :(

To replace the order of the songs , yes , but not to drop them
maybe to add some new ones

this thread made me realise that Elevation set-list was quite good .

don't drop Bullet the blue sky. It's one of the best parts of the show. that powerful guitar riff...

Re: why must we always bring negativity out of every positive thread?

KhanadaRhodes said:
*sigh*

i suppose i find bullet the blue sky is old, too. i never really liked the song. this may sound weird, but i think it eventually got a bit over-the-top. it eventually got too much...he'd be like "slappin em down, 100! 200! 300! *five hours later* 503,410! 503,420!"

at the very least, since they seem to agree with america's political views now (i'm not saying they're kissing our asses or anything) then i think they shouldn't also play anti-american songs.

:yes: I'm getting kind of sick of hearing Bullet too...Not one of my favorites...:reject:

But that's the only one that comes to mind...

Re: -what you thought was freedom was just greed-

oliveu2cm said:
They should drop all of them except every song from Pop, they should just play Pop all the time every song, maybe some songs twice.

yeah. yeah yeah.

:lol: :lmao: Woo-hoo!

:sad: I rather missed hearing Mofo and some of the other Pop songs during the last tour...

The entire acoustical jam session. Lame and boring.

Bullet-You could really see they were reaching with this song on the Elevation tour.

WOWY-UNLESS it is played with Bono and Edge on guitars like in Rattle and Hum. It does sound really tired though.

New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday. Boring and forced.

Those are really the only songs I skip over on my bootlegs.

Oh, and anything from Pop. Who needs it?

I Will Follow... though it seems they never tire of that
WOWY. Boring these days.
Bullet HAS been played a lot but from my very biased point of view I would have them keep it. Just because I haven't been to a show and would very much like to see it.
Desire indeed, though I do like the harder rock zootv version.

Pride
Until The End Of The World (ducks) ;)

Love both songs, but they have been played to death live. They need a break for a tour.

I saw Pop live and have watched the ZooTV (and Popmart) videos so many times I have everything memorized. When I saw Elevation live, I found some of the acts getting a little tiring. UTEOTW bullfight was/is old. The BTBS 100-200 was super in the 90's, but now it's old and too predictable. The running down the runway of streets has been done too many times, and dancing with a girl has losts its novelty. (although it certainly wouldn't lose its novelty if I was the girl! :sexywink: )

I don't think U2 could ever eliminate their huge songs like Pride, I Will Follow, and Sunday Bloody Sunday (although I wouldn't mind seeing them go). Also WOWY is getting old, but it is their biggest song so how could they not play it? I think perhaps they could change them a bit. For instance, during PopMart the end bit of "Streets" brought a new and terrific twist. Also, BTBS was kinda different with the new guitar rifts and the Charlie Chaplin act (although the 100!, 200! was still there). Perhaps they could take some of the tired songs and tired acts and spruce them up a bit instead of them being the same old same old. U2 fans love it when U2 gives their original songs with a new twist!

U2SavesTheWorld said:
Oh, I'd also drop the Dancing With The Random Audience Girl in WOWY.
IMO its changed the meaning of the song. People stopped listening to the songs when Bono started pulling people up. In so many GA lines I would sit and listen to these slutty girls talking about how they had to get in the heart or near it because they just KNEW they were going to get pulled up at some point. I swear, one girl didn't know that WOWY was on JT. She just wanted to be pulled up....wasn't even really a fan.
Anyway, that is my babbling for this thread.

:rant:

:hyper: :hyper: Oooo, I wanna dance, I promise I'll still listen to the song! And I know WOWY is on JT!! :hyper: :hyper:

Bullet - I'm bored by it. I don't even like the album version much.

Desire - Mediocre song, there are dozens that are better.

UTEOTW - I like it, but not every night, because it's become too much of a performance, and it's been done to death.

Pride - I've heard it enough times.

Desire?!? DESIRE?!?!

Y'all are on some high grade crack.

As for the following statement: " at the very least, since they seem to agree with america's political views now (i'm not saying they're kissing our asses or anything) then i think they shouldn't also play anti-american songs."

They seem to agree with america's political views now? What political view is that? Isn't that quite a generic statement? I'm getting sort of sick of people waxing on about how un-american U2 is for "Bullet" - they aren't allowed to have an opinion about this country? Do americans have an opinion about Ireland? Ugh.

That said they can drop "Bullet". Not because it's anti-american, it's because it's lost it's passion now. Oh and WOWY can go bye-bye anytime now and if I offer them a shiny dime, would they never play "Stuck in a Moment" again?

Re: -what you thought was freedom was just greed-

oliveu2cm said:

:up: Definitely, olive- bring back more Pop songs!

But as for songs to drop, I'd say that SBS and Pride are getting kind of old. They're such big hits, though, so I don't know if the band would actually drop them (especially Pride).

Back
Top Bottom