MERGED --> Songs U2 should drop from their setlist for the next tour + My two cents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With or Without You

One

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I wish U2 would do what Springsteen does. Play about 4/5's of the new album live and then maybe 7-8 hits.

senrab said:
I must be the only one on the whole board who likes Stuck. :(
all the negativity towards Stuck in a Moment in this thread (yeah, I know it doesn't "rock dude", but it is still one of the best songs U2 has ever written IMO) has almost driven me to Zootopia (it would be nice to listen to some other whining for a change)

gherman said:
I think they should drop everything from 1988 and before. Their tour should be devted to noth ing but Achyung to today
and that would just make no sense

Salome said:
all the negativity towards Stuck in a Moment in this thread (yeah, I know it doesn't "rock dude", but it is still one of the best songs U2 has ever written IMO)

I agree. I think it's one of those U2 song that meanders without drum loops.The lyrics paint such a gorgeous imagery, I can see fireworks in the sky.

hey i think i got the idea , here it is : 4-9 songs from all eras and then can U2 play Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby or POP or ATYCLB or WAR or Zoroopa in its entirety + few songs for encore , what do you think ????

UltravioletU2 said:
I saw Pop live and have watched the ZooTV (and Popmart) videos so many times I have everything memorized. When I saw Elevation live, I found some of the acts getting a little tiring. UTEOTW bullfight was/is old. The BTBS 100-200 was super in the 90's, but now it's old and too predictable. The running down the runway of streets has been done too many times, and dancing with a girl has losts its novelty. (although it certainly wouldn't lose its novelty if I was the girl! :sexywink: )

I don't think U2 could ever eliminate their huge songs like Pride, I Will Follow, and Sunday Bloody Sunday (although I wouldn't mind seeing them go). Also WOWY is getting old, but it is their biggest song so how could they not play it? I think perhaps they could change them a bit. For instance, during PopMart the end bit of "Streets" brought a new and terrific twist. Also, BTBS was kinda different with the new guitar rifts and the Charlie Chaplin act (although the 100!, 200! was still there). Perhaps they could take some of the tired songs and tired acts and spruce them up a bit instead of them being the same old same old. U2 fans love it when U2 gives their original songs with a new twist!

:yes:

I agree Pride , Mysterious Ways , on elevation tour was worser and older but exactly the same ZOO TV style .
the fly didn't sound so great , it was good , but the original idea was much better , or Until The End Of The World , during popmart it looked great and new with all those effects , Bullet during Zoo and popmart was a shocker , during elevation bono's voice was no good and old light trick

Salome said:
all the negativity towards Stuck in a Moment in this thread (yeah, I know it doesn't "rock dude", but it is still one of the best songs U2 has ever written IMO) has almost driven me to Zootopia (it would be nice to listen to some other whining for a change)

I don't care if it doesn't "rock dude", some of my favorite U2 songs are slow. I just think it's boring as hell. It's just a matter of opinion.

And you would leave a message board because people don't like "Stuck"?

Huh.

it's probably in about the same place as where I left mine

I don't care if 98% of this forum would agree that Stuck ... is the greatest piece of shit ever written
but the reasons why this should be so expressed so far gives me no indication whatsoever why this would be so

and yes, I would leave this forum because of how you people talk about Stuck

just watch my shadow

my two cents on the subject

It wouldn't be U2 style to drop I Will Follow...no matter how sick of the song I am.

Bullet the Blue Sky--I've always thought that song to be kinda boring anyway.

How could you not like New Years Day?

And With or Without you--I love to hear Bono sing so low. He sings high in so many songs (which I also love) that to hear him sing so low in With or Without You is extremely sexy no matter how overdone the song is.

Instead of saying what I think should be left out...I just want to mention that I would like to hear Everlasting Love in a live concert. I haven't seen every concert there is to see so I'm not even sure if it has been played in one, but it's such a great song and then when Bono sings it...Mmmmm.

That's my two cents.:cool:

Going by this thread on the next tour we will get 20-30 mins of Bono rap everynight just to cover time for the retired songs.

Time to f*ck the mainstream again, but unfortunately this time it wont happen soon.

hey all,

i think that bullet the blue sky should be still played , but not every night, if this was done on the elevation tour..what would they start the encore with?? maybe the fly? or the old discotheque??

I love Stuck in a Moment, but I wouldn't miss it if U2 never play it at a concert again. It sounds perfect on the album, but without the studio polish and gloss, it just loses something. Actually, the same goes for Angel of Harlem.

Songs that should definately be tossed out next tour:

Bullet the blue sky- never liked it.
Until the end of the world- bullfight sequence has been done for the past 10 years, and it's dumb now.
Desire- I hate the terrible versions they've done on the Popmart/Elevation tour.

Other than that, nothing needs to permanately go. I think that if U2 could just not play the same songs every night, they'd not be sick of the same songs every night, and there would an excitement to the shows. They can still play "Pride", "SBS", "New years day", "ISHFWILF", and I suppose "With or without you", but just not every show, every night. Rotate them some.

Also, the acoustic portion is no good anymore, but I understand that Larry works really hard physically, and probably could use a break. I just wish they wouldn't butcher Desire, Stay, or Staring at the sun anymore on the b-stage. Instead, they could use this portion of the show to really become original. The lack of an entire band arrangment leaves the possibilities to be endless of an acoustic performance. How about throwing something rare in there.

And my final beef, POP. They could play a lot of the songs from POP besides Gone, Staring at the sun, and the occasional discotheque and acoustic version of Please (though not bad when compared to Stay or Desire). A full band version of SATS would be good, they have the time to work on it, whereas they didn't on Popmart. They really couldn't play much off Zooropa live anymore. "Lemon" and "Crashed car", I consider to be off limits from any future live performance. "Zooropa" and "Dirty Day" have a chance, and "First time" might show up on account of it's Greatest Hits appearance.

SBS, NYD and Bullet. Never quite got into them, and they were better with 80's Bono voice.

Other than that, maybe they could play a bit more less known from pre-current album songs (not just the singles/hits like they do now) or B-sides (Slow dancing, Party girl, Spanish eyes) like they did on Elevation tour.

Personally i liked every version of Desire except the Zoo tv one which ruined the song IMO. And i like acoustic performances - if the whole band would play it would sound too much like the album version and there is no point in that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this, but I wouldn't mind not listening to any song from ATYCLB ( except for Beautiful Day). I think the album was pretty dull.

But on the other hand, I'd loooove to listen to all the songs from Achtung Baby and Pop. :yes:

I really like "New Year's Day" but it's been a regular on every tour since its creation and it would be a good chance to get an older song in, while giving this one a rest.

Back
Top Bottom