MERGED-->Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own Single Details

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeVox

War Child
NME: SYCMIOYO UK Single Details (Fast Cars & Trent Reznor)

U2 HIT A MILLION!

U2’s next single will be ’SOMETIMES YOU CAN’T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN’ - and their new album has now sold a million in the UK.

The song, the second to be lifted from ’How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’, will be released on February 7.

The track will be feature a Jacknife Lee remix of ‘Ave Maria’ sung by Bono with Pavarotti, the ‘Vertigo Redanka Remix’, and the Jacknife Lee remix of ’Fast Cars’.

The DVD features a live performance of ’Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own’ from the band's Dublin studio and a Trent Reznor ‘Vertigo’.

NME.COM has also learned that ’How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ have reached one million in the UK in the four weeks since it went on sale.

http://www.nme.com/news/110848.htm

and I'm also very excited about the Ave Maria remix from Modena.........I really liked his new lyrics to that

Xavier

Last edited:
hmmm... no new songs, it's a pitty. But the remixes look interesting...

Jacknife Lee remix of ‘Ave Maria’ sung by Bono with Pavarotti - that's unimaginable !!!

I love the idea of a Trent Reznor Vertigo remix, that'll be amazing, I'm a huge fan of his.

In saying that it's disappointing we're getting more remixies, I was really hoping for more songs. Still, I'm pumped about the Trent Reznor remix.

Where's Mercy? Shouldn't it have been on this single? :eyebrow:

Dya think the same single will apply for us aussies down under?

Disappointed. I want new songs, no silly remixes. I dont care if they are rather undeveloped instrumentals all I want is new u2 songs.

Mercy, I have a hunch, will be on the 3rd single, which is supposedly going to be released to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the release of BOY. That's fine by me.

It would be great if they make a big 25th anniversary single, with Mercy on it. I think in that case, Mercy wouldn't just have been a b-side. Know what I mean?

i don't want Mercy as a b-side...i want a finished version of it in an official album (releasing it now as a b-side means burning the good ideas it contains while with just a little rework this good song could be turned into a real masterpiece)

trent and 'vertigo'...... quivering with excitement...

:drool:

i'm generally not a fan of remixes, but i can't wait to see what trent does with this song.

This is interesting news indeed :yes:

Ave Maria fits into the Operatic theme of this single. Remix should be interesting, I wonder what that means? Will it be a remix or will it just be a reengineering work / cleanup?

Vertigo (Redanka remix) - A quick Google search reveals that this guy's name is Andy Holt a DJ with some dance credits to his name. Anyway, I wonder why they didn't get this included on the original Vertigo Single. The Jacknife Lee mixes grew on me, but I like a little variety in remixes so that I can adopt a favorite, it didn't help the Mofo remixes, but it was worth trying.

Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Remix) - I like it when they remix a B-Side (yes yes, I know... not a B-Side for the UK, but it's not a standard album track either) I like the groove on the original, I wonder if this will make it even more danceable! I know someone who already likes to bellydance to this one, I think she might be encouraged to find out that they might make the song longer...

DVD --- My chief complaint about DVD's is that I don't want to have to yank the audio so that I can listen to it on the go. So if the Trent Reznor version of Vertigo is any good, I'm going to be bummed until I get it on an mp3 and into my iPod.

I still haven't heard Mercy, I'm holding out for when they actually release it. It's going to be a long gap between albums, so at the very least I can wait until they give me something to listen to.

Lastly, I wonder if ABOY will have the same B-Sides or will it use the ones for SYCMIOYO? It doesn't seem right for it to include Ave Maria, so maybe Mercy will be a B-Side for ABOY instead.

Its so odd that U2 has songs like Levitate, Flower Child, and Smile stored away, and yet we get more remixes for b-sides..oh well.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Its so odd that U2 has songs like Levitate, Flower Child, and Smile stored away, and yet we get more remixes for b-sides..oh well.

They're not stored away. They've been released....just on the iPod.

Duh..I know that, my point being these songs sat idle for years before the ipod release..they could have been used as ATYCLB b-sides too.

I try to keep up with info on both my favorite bands and the second one being NIN and I never heard of a Trent Reznor/U2 collaboration before!!

And Trent has been pretty busy lately trying to finish the latest NIN album due in March.

Anyone got info on this Trent Reznor remix of vertigo?

Where did he find the time, the most meticulous person in the world that he is? :)

Trent Reznor Vertigo?!?!?!

F*^K YEAH!!!!! :combust:

Man, that is AWESOME!!

I am SO sick of these constant dance mixes

Someone please tell U2 (and their management) that they are a rock band and their fans are mostly fans of rock music.

Whilst they may have a little novelty value, these remixes pale in comparison to decent b-sides like the good old days (Touch, Boy-Girl, Treasure, J.Swallow, Love Comes Tumbling, everything from Joshua Tree, Dancing Barefoot etc).

Instead, the last 10 years have produced
* 11 versions of Mysterious Ways
* 17 versons of Lemon
* 8 versions of Mofo
* 10 versions of Elevation
* 8 versions of Beautiful Day
* 8 versions of Vertigo (album, video, 7", 10" 12", instrumental, Reznor, Redanka)....!!

I'd much prefer to have one Levitate rather than 3 remixes.

Last edited:
chocky said:
I am SO sick of these constant dance mixes

Someone please tell U2 (and their management) that they are a rock band and their fans are mostly fans of rock music.

Whilst they may have a little novelty value, these remixes pale in comparison to decent b-sides like the good old days (Touch, Boy-Girl, Treasure, J.Swallow, Love Comes Tumbling, everything from Joshua Tree, Dancing Barefoot etc).

Instead, the last 10 years have produced
* 11 versions of Mysterious Ways
* 17 versons of Lemon
* 8 versions of Mofo
* 10 versions of Elevation
* 8 versions of Beautiful Day
* 8 versions of Vertigo (album, video, 7", 10" 12", instrumental, Reznor, Redanka)....!!

I'd much prefer to have one Levitate rather than 3 remixes.

there are that many remixes of Elevation and BD?
Ok, so much for me thinking I had them all.

starsforu2 said:
Vertigo (Redanka remix) - A quick Google search reveals that this guy's name is Andy Holt a DJ with some dance credits to his name. Anyway, I wonder why they didn't get this included on the original Vertigo Single. The Jacknife Lee mixes grew on me, but I like a little variety in remixes so that I can adopt a favorite, it didn't help the Mofo remixes, but it was worth trying.

I hadn't noticed this before. This could be interesting. For a few weeks, a track has been floating somewhere on the 'Net (don't know where, as I've never used Kazaa, Soulseek, etc.) that has been mislabeled as a dance mix of Vertigo, but with alternate lyrics (we're the 51st state of the USA and there's stars 'n' stripes raining down on me are some of the words you can make out). Anyway, I did a search on this song (as somebody was asking if this was really U2) and found that it was the song In A State by Redanka! On this page you can find a 4-minute sample of the song:
http://www.releaserecords.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=Redanka

So, to hear now that Redanka is doing an actual remix is weird at the very least. :huh: Was his song an actual blueprint for the Vertigo remix? Is this report legit? Aren't there too many coincidences/weird info in the article?

:hmm:

Marty

Dima said:
i don't want Mercy as a b-side...i want a finished version of it in an official album (releasing it now as a b-side means burning the good ideas it contains while with just a little rework this good song could be turned into a real masterpiece)

Mercy is finished. Originally it was planned to close the album but U2 thought the album was to long and didnt flow. So they cut Mercy at the last minute. Its no demo if thats what you are thinking, its the finished product. Whether they release it or not at this point is the question. Not sure how it got out but I have a feeling it wasnt suppose to at all.

I wish they would have kept Levitate and Smile and polished them up for release on an album, those songs had tremendous potential.

The hay day for B sides was the Joshua Tree, unfortunately I dont think we will ever see anything like that again. Most likely we will get 3 or 4 true new song B sides max per album. U2 likes to save most of their good ideas for rework on the next album project. One of the reasons I was shocked they put out the demos of completely new songs.

Last edited:
I'm tired of the remixes too. Yes, some of them in the past have been memorable, but enough is enough. Seems like a lazy way out of giving the fans real "new" material on the b-sides.

I have to agree re: remixes. I've never really been a fan of them (although I have enjoyed a few here and there). Plus, giving an emotional song a dance beat somehow diminishes its overall effect.

Just this once though, I am looking forward to what Trent Reznor can do with Vertigo. When news first caught regarding NIN's involvement with a U2 track, I thought for sure it was going to be LaPoE.

I'm also a bit skittish about Ave Maria. I've heard Bono do this in the past and he's just not a tenor. But, as usual, I'm looking forward to this single(s). :)

Back
Top Bottom