MERGED-->Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great song, I'd have no problem with it closing the show. U2 is good at closing on a down note. I love a bittersweet feeling to a concert closer, it makes you love the show that much more as you are left wanting more.

It has that "we can make it together" feel U2 always looks for in a closer.

I love this song. It really hits close to home for me. I can really relate to it because my mother is not doing well health wise right now. She has Diabetes, and has lost a leg due to complications from it. Just last week, the doctor told us that the disease is so out of control that there is nothing left they can do. The insulin isn't even keeping her blood sugar down anymore. So, we get to watch her die unless a miracle happens. I am only 22! I don't want to lose my mother this soon. I have been a mess all week, but this song really makes me feel better. I can see that someone else understands my pain, and what I am going through. That's the great thing about U2 songs. They always find a way to hit you in the gut.
This song will definitely be one of my favorites on the album.

Love, Mary

patrickU217 said:
I actually cried listening to a song for the first time in many many years.

I cried listening to this song, today earlier, but for some other reasons... adding to the moment, obviously, this song

again, U2 describing my feelings

:(

Quiggs said:
I love this song. It really hits close to home for me. I can really relate to it because my mother is not doing well health wise right now. She has Diabetes, and has lost a leg due to complications from it. Just last week, the doctor told us that the disease is so out of control that there is nothing left they can do. The insulin isn't even keeping her blood sugar down anymore. So, we get to watch her die unless a miracle happens. I am only 22! I don't want to lose my mother this soon. I have been a mess all week, but this song really makes me feel better. I can see that someone else understands my pain, and what I am going through. That's the great thing about U2 songs. They always find a way to hit you in the gut.
This song will definitely be one of my favorites on the album.
Love, Mary

This just gives me a good perspective on life today. And to think I was feeling sorry for myself for being sick the last two days. Hmmm...

As for this song, I see some of it in my parents too. They aren't sick or anything right now, but they are getting older. My dad has had two knee operations and an emergency operation on his large intestines in the last 5 years. It slowed him down a lot. I love my parents and we talk on the phone nearly everyday, but this song makes you appreciate what you got.

And for those who do fight all the time with them, see if you can patch it up. It's one of the most meaningful relationships in life, along with marriage, and having a son or daughter of your own.

It's great that Bono can see the value in a song like this. U2 has always been good about mixing up the relationship songs. Bono sings about the importance of his marraige and his dad while Jay-Z is scoping some chick in a club to take home and M&M is killing his mom and mocking micheal jackson or whatever.

Guess we know who time will be kind to musically...

Last edited:
RademR said:
When bono sings "you don't have to go it alone...." and then "and its you when i look in the mirror" comes on in that voice, it makes me want to kill myself it sounds so good :

Is it Bono or Edge who sings that Beegees bit of "and it's you when I look in the mirror"? Sometimes I am inclined to think it is the Edge.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Is it Bono or Edge who sings that Beegees bit of "and it's you when I look in the mirror"? Sometimes I am inclined to think it is the Edge.

Cheers,

J

I agree with you. I think it is Edge.

If you listen closely, I think it's both Bono and The Edge. There are definitely two voices there. And come on now, let's refer to them as the falsetto parts, not Beegees. :)

ADecentMelody said:
If you listen closely, I think it's both Bono and The Edge. There are definitely two voices there. And come on now, let's refer to them as the falsetto parts, not Beegees. :)

Agreed, the Bee Gees didn't invent falsetto, it's been around since humankind started singing... That's like saying the beatles invented the guitar or something...

It's a great song. But I would never have picked it out as the new single. Now way. The new single should be Lova and Peace Or else or original of the species or miracle drug or city of blinding lights or yahweh

After The Second Chorus of SYCMIOYO

What do you think of this? The first time I heard it I was completely drawn out of the experience. I was almost expecting some sort of 'All I Want Is You' guitar crescendo, because that's where it seemed to be heading, but the guitar that came instead was very jarring for me. After about a dozen listens I have begun to appreciate it, but I'm wondering if it was a big mistake on the part of U2? The 'Bono breakdown' wailing that comes immediately after it is great, in my opinion (as a big U2 fan), but I'm wondering if it's a bit too 'what the?' for mainstream radio. I guess I'm just wondering if casual/new fans will get to that part and think 'What is Bono doing right now?'

Anyway - one of my favorite U2 songs of all time...nearly brought me to tears, but as I said, that guitar that comes after the second chorus...what is up with that?

-Miggy to the D

I had a similar reaction to 'Sometimes', but after repeated listening, I think it's very well done, and I appreciate the understated verse. As for the Bono wailing (the "opera" part), I think it's beautiful...one of the highlights of the song. I'm not so sure if this should be the next single however, though I gather it is. I would have gone with something that will blow everyone away like 'City of Blinding Lights'. I also think 'Love and Peace' will make a huge single.

Fuck mainstream radio. U2 could have easily gone the expected path. I love it for what it is and isn't!

Re: After The Second Chorus of SYCMIOYO

Miggy D said:

Anyway - one of my favorite U2 songs of all time...nearly brought me to tears, but as I said, that guitar that comes after the second chorus...what is up with that?

-Miggy to the D

Wow... That's my favourite part of the song! :ohmy:

Re: Re: After The Second Chorus of SYCMIOYO

GibsonGirl said:

Wow... That's my favourite part of the song! :ohmy:

Yeah, same here. I was almost feeling let down by the song until that came through.

tkramer said:

Agreed, the Bee Gees didn't invent falsetto, it's been around since humankind started singing... That's like saying the beatles invented the guitar or something...

I never claimed that the BeeGees invented the falsetto. I just said the falsetto in this particular song has a striking resemblance to the BeeGees - perhaps an inside salute to the BeeGees considering they lost one of their members I think recently (not sure about this).

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I never claimed that the BeeGees invented the falsetto. I just said the falsetto in this particular song has a striking resemblance to the BeeGees - perhaps an inside salute to the BeeGees considering they lost one of their members I think recently (not sure about this).

Cheers,

J

Bono has always been a BeeGees fan, and said it. I can see it.

MrBrau1 said:

Bono has always been a BeeGees fan, and said it. I can see it.

But I think it's the Edge who sang the falsetto part. When Bono does falsetto it hardly resembles the BeeGees. Perhaps U2 intentionally agreed to have Edge do the falsetto part to pay tribute to the BeeGees.

Cheers,

J

This song should be renamed...

"Sometimes You Can't..."

should be called...

"Sometimes This Song Makes Me Cry Like A Little Girl"

Last edited:
SYCMIOYO and The Bee Gee's?

During the chorus, "And it's you when I look..." is being compared to being like the Bee Gee's.

My friends, is there any way that we can compare this vocal passage to that of the Rolling Stones, a la "Daddy Your A Fool To Cry"? This would seem to make more sense as Bono has been known to sing passages of the Rolling Stones song song during Bad - and hasn't been known to sing passages of Stayin' Alive.

Not to knock the Bee Gee's or anythink like that, it just seems that maybe the chorus is more in the vein of the Stones than the Gee's.

That's all. Thank You.

Hey, I like the Bee Gees. A lot of people don't realize they were a pretty innovative and great sounding group before the whole disco fiasco.

You might be right, but I hear the BeeGees there and in other places on the album as well (A Man and a Woman's falsetto).

I hear the Stones and Beatles influence elsewhere - LaPoE and ABOY to be specific.

It would not surprise me if U2 incorporated a BeeGees influence, since they are fairly eclectic when it comes to music.

Re: SYCMIOYO and The Bee Gee's?

PurpleSeven said:
During the chorus, "And it's you when I look..." is being compared to being like the Bee Gee's.

My friends, is there any way that we can compare this vocal passage to that of the Rolling Stones, a la "Daddy Your A Fool To Cry"? This would seem to make more sense as Bono has been known to sing passages of the Rolling Stones song song during Bad - and hasn't been known to sing passages of Stayin' Alive.

Not to knock the Bee Gee's or anythink like that, it just seems that maybe the chorus is more in the vein of the Stones than the Gee's.

That's all. Thank You.

Bono sang passages of Stayin' Alive many times during the Popmart tour when they performed Discotheque.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom