MERGED-->Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song is so many things. It's moving, it's powerful, it's beautiful, and it's so very emotional. The first time I heard it, I thought of the live version of kite from the Slane dvd...just how emotional Bono was when singing it. I hope they play this song live this tour...I might cry.

This song has attached itself to me in a unique way. I think of my mother...my mother was the one who raised me on U2 while I was growing up and now I'm a 24 year old woman who sometimes longs to go back to the days when I could curl up in my mother's lap while we listened to music together. I am so like her, in my appearance and in my personality...she is truly who I see when I look in the mirror. She is my best friend. And this song, about Bono singing about his relationship one of his parents just leveled my soul....it just struck alarmingly close to the place in my heart that my mother holds....It's amazing to me how Bono can articulate emotions and feelings into words in the way that he does...

:sad:

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
This song has attached itself to me in a unique way. I think of my mother...my mother was the one who raised me on U2 while I was growing up and now I'm a 24 year old woman who sometimes longs to go back to the days when I could curl up in my mother's lap while we listened to music together. I am so like her, in my appearance and in my personality...she is truly who I see when I look in the mirror. She is my best friend. And this song, about Bono singing about his relationship one of his parents just leveled my soul....it just struck alarmingly close to the place in my heart that my mother holds....It's amazing to me how Bono can articulate emotions and feelings into words in the way that he does...

:sad:

i wish i could be this close to my mother... :reject:

bono_man2002 said:
can anyone else see them closing with Sometimes?
i think its a pretty good show closer.

might be too downbeat..... id rather leave on a happy note (oots)

Nah this will be playerd 5th or early. City of blinding lights will close the show. Picture the crowd singing Oh You Look so beautiful 2nite

Here' s what makes this song so achingly beautiful. You have to understand or take Bono's perspective to feel it.

Bono's mother died when he was just a teenager. That left him and his brother to be taken care of by just his pop. His father, for better or worse, was the only parent he had in that household. So here he was as a man watching his father dying and having to take care of him.....it's what we all have to go through some day when we lose our parents.

His father was such a strong influence in his life - even if they disagreed all the time. There is a realization at some point in all our lives where we realize how our parents shaped us. This song is Bono's description of how strong, tough people like Bono's dad need others sometimes. And, equally, it is about how sons like Bono need others, especially parents, to help them get through life.

Then there's the lyric "Don't leave me here alone..." It's the pure, honest emotion of a every adult who loses their parents and feels afraid of being alone in the world.

AJ

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does the note Bono hits during 'can you hear me siiiiiiiiiing?' seem amazingly close to the highest ever recorded note on a U2 song, 'wide awaaaake' from Bad?

Bear in mind I know nothing about singing. However, they do seem really close and an educated opinion would be great. If he's managed to get close to 'wide awaaaake' after twenty years of giving his voice hell, that's ... that's worth one huge, awe-struck exclamation of DAMN!

Best track on the album and best since "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On"

I agree. I wasn't expecting this sheer stroke of briliance.

They only do the chorus once though, every time it comes around. To me, I like it so much, it would've been slightly better if they did it twice. (THe part of "And it's you...")

Also, it's too easy to tell it's Edge singing that part. I prefer Bono's voice. :bono:

I actually cried listening to a song for the first time in many many years. My father means the world to me since my mother died 13 years ago, but I have never been very good at expressing my feelings towards him. I guess Bono is doing it for me now. So thank you for this one.

Beegees influence in SYCMIOYO?

It seems the falsetto part in the song sounds like the Beegees (as opposed to the falsettos Bono would belt in the early 90's). The album contains songs that have the Ramones and the Clash (Vertigo), Led Zeppelin and The Stones (LAPOE), Beatles (OOTS), Sting (Man and A Woman), The Doors (ABOY) ....but no one seemed to mention the obvious Beegees salute in SYCMIOYO. Anyone else notice this?

Cheers,

J

Jick, you're right!
The falsetto reminds me Bee Gees but this song is truly a masterpiece!

CICOLO said:
Jick, you're right!
The falsetto reminds me Bee Gees but this song is truly a masterpiece!

I never knew U2 were big BeeGees fans. But it's great to insert a BeeGees salute somewhere in the album, kinda like how they had the A-Ha salute in Beautiful Day. U2 always pays respects to their musical idols and that's one of the things I like about them.

Cheers,

J

When bono sings "you don't have to go it alone...." and then "and its you when i look in the mirror" comes on in that voice, it makes me want to kill myself it sounds so good :

No metaphors here. Straight in your face. This song makes you cry when you can relate to the subject. No doubt.

Back
Top Bottom