MERGED --> "Sometimes..." at Grammy's??? + Sometimes: too synth heavy on the Grammies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But it is welcome news none the less by me the SNL performance of it was excellent.

OK I'm psyched they'll play 'Sometimes', as I think it will be a historical performance and showcase to many who haven't heard the CD what an amazing song this is, BUT I agree with Jick (can't believe I just wrote that) that this might be a Grammy blunder for next year's nominations. However, that does leave other songs open for nomination too, ala ATYCLB (Stuck, Walk On).

I'm looking forward to any U2 performance. They could play anything and I'd be raving :drool:. Just a mad fan!!!

The interesting thing about that sheet is that it says 'additional band offstage: Terri something' and that person would be playing keyboards. Since when Sometimes needs keyboard? !?

What they go also be doing is...

They start with "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" and Bono sings the first part of the song "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own..." ... then silence... then Larry Mullen Jr taps his sticks together and the band launches into Vertigo...

It's an idea.

the guy who's playing with u2 on sometimes, off stage, is a sequencer... apparently a very good one. sometimes you can't make it on your own has a lot of sequences in the background... strings, etc. that's what this guy will be doing. making sure all that shit works when it's supposed to.

and as for the playing a song that isn't nominated... it's been done before. u2 wouldn't be the first. is there a bit of marketing involved? sure... they probably think sometimes will be a smash... amd a song that all will appeal to all sorts of people, not just u2 and/or rock fans. so it's a pretty smart business move if ya ask me. as for it not being nominated for the grammys next year? if it's good enough, it'll be nominated... and the album will be nominated anyways, and i'm sure they'll play something else next year.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and as for the playing a song that isn't nominated... it's been done before. u2 wouldn't be the first. is there a bit of marketing involved? sure... they probably think sometimes will be a smash... amd a song that all will appeal to all sorts of people, not just u2 and/or rock fans. so it's a pretty smart business move if ya ask me. as for it not being nominated for the grammys next year? if it's good enough, it'll be nominated... and the album will be nominated anyways, and i'm sure they'll play something else next year.

:yes:

Plus, aren't the awards they are nominated for not televised this time? If so, it really doesn't matter which song they play.

How sweet would it have been if they played the Temple Bar version of Vertigo? Just the Edge and Bono, the Edge with the banjo. Oh well, Sometimes works too.

Re: "Sometimes..." at Grammy's???

Harry Vest said:
Will U2 perform SYCMIOYO at the Grammy's on Sunday night???
Or is this just a rumour????
I sure hope so - it's such a better song than Vertigo or All Because of You. What do you think?

To be honest, I'm dissapointed U2 did not make more songs like ABOY, Miracle Drug and COBL because the rest of the songs are mellow. If anything, I think they should be playing COBL on Sunday. That song would bring the house down or is it, that song would bring down the house?

Look, it's great they've decided on Sometimes - aren't all of you sick to death of Vertigo yet (although the SNL version WAS good!!!) and ABOY just ain't that great a song - hell, I'd rather hear BAD or OUT OF CONTROL but that's just not going to happen. I'm happy about SYCMIOYO - It'll be a great version of a great song - the ONLY reason why I'd tune into a show as bad as the Grammys!!!

If they do in fact play "Somtimes," that tells me that "Vertigo" isn't going to be winning any Grammy's. That's partly conjecture on my part, but I think there's some evidence for it.

1) There's a good chance that "American Idiot" is going to win both Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance by a Group. It's the only song nominated in those categories that is also nominated for Record of the Year--generally, if you're the only tune from your genre nominated in the overall category, you're going to win the smaller genre category. (commentary: Personally, if U2 doesn't win I'd like to see The Killers and Modest Mouse win those categories, but that seems pretty unlikely.)

2) The Grammy's have a longstanding tradition of "play a song, win an award." It doesn't always go down like that, but far more often than not the band that just played a song wins the next award. Hard to imagine U2 playing "Sometimes" then winning an award for "Vertigo."

3) It's possible, perhaps likely, that the Grammy folks already know U2 isn't going to win and informed the band that if they'd like to play something else that's okay. I think some of you are probably giving U2 a little too much credit regarding how much say they have in this. While U2 is probably the most powerful band on the planet right now if the Recording Academy really wanted them to play Vertigo, U2 would play Vertigo. However, I think it's pretty well established that the results to some of the categories aren't kept a secret from everyone prior to the announcement. First, the aforementioned "play a song, win an award" tradition. It happens far too often to be a coincidence. Second, if you recall a few years ago when U2 lost Album of the Year to O Brother Where Art Thou, that was the only broadcast I can remember where Album of the Year was not the last award handed out. I immediately thought that was because the show producers were told of the results ahead of time and decided it would be a lot better to end the show with U2 winning Record of the Year than with the O Brother producers/artists on stage.

Of course, I have no idea what they will actually play, but the call sheet posted on Page 2 of this thread is pretty compelling evidence that it will be "Somtimes." I don't think that's such a bad thing--there's no better promotion to start pushing it as a single than to play it at the Grammys. As for next year's awards, they can cross that bridge when they get there. Even if "Sometimes" gets nominated, who knows, they might have a second song nominated in a genre category that they could play. Keep in mind, in 2001 they won awards for "Walk On," "Stuck in a Moment," and "Elevation."

SYCMIOYO is the way to go. I love ABOY but it's already peaked. Everyone, even non-U2 fans know Vertigo because of the I-POD commercial, so that would be a waste.

By performing SYCMIOYO, it may reel in some music fans in North America who mistakenly believe that HTDAAB is a primarily a "loud and heavy" album because of the 1st two releases, to take another look at it.

let them do what they want to do..they're u2...if people dont like it

more GA tickets in the pool for the next presale.

I bet that by next year's Grammys, SYCMIOYO will b nominated 4 Song of the year (or whatever the category is).

Hopefully they'll play vertigo next year when SYCMIOYO is nominated. I consider Vertigo to be one the best songs off the album, It would be such an awesome opening for the Grammies.

U2 / SYCMIOYO rehearsal today!

I have a friend in the music biz that was actually at the U2 rehearsal today....the song they are doing is SYCMIOYO....It was a "closed" rehearsal.....meaning only grammy people, production team, people associated with the band and the show were allowed in. She said she has never seen more of an audience at a closed rehearsal (a couple of hundred)...basically almost everyone associated with the show came to see them rehearse.....

She said the most incredible thing was that in between when they were actually performing the song and when the crew and production team was doing technical things, Bono was talking to the audience directly!! He was making jokes and also talking a bit about the song, his relationship with his Dad and how personal the song is to him, how his Dad gave him the gift of his voice (then he said "although it probably doesn't sound like a gift right now"). He said rock guys usually aren't very funny so that is why he dressed like a country guy (he had his glasses on and a hat)....He was also making jokes that she didnt understand something about the king of england conspiring to keep the song off the radio, and if anyone knew a direct line to the king, please tell him because he wanted to call him up...

They ran through the song a few times and then the last time he even talked a bit over the intro (he said Edge asked him to) about the song....she also said the intro was amazing, about how they have been around for 25 years, won 16 grammys and are still right at the top....also that the song is about bono's relationship with his father....she said it was a long intro...

She said it was the absolute BEST rehearsal she has ever seen and that she felt like one of the luckiest people in the world....imagine, a venue of 16,000 people with only a couple of hundred people in it!! The audience cheered after each runthrough and at the end.....I am quite jealous, but glad that i at least got to hear the play by play, which i am now sharing with all of you...

CANT WAIT TO SEE IT TOMORROW!!!!

So if these reports are true, it looks like Sometimes might not win a Grammy next year.

I guess it shows how powerful U2 are in the music biz.

They can get to perform in a major show like the Grammies, where they are only nominated for one song in minor categories they won't probably win. And what they will perform won't be their nominated song, but the next single they plan to promote. And it's a very long song also.

I guess this is good news for U2 and shows their pull, their influence, and the respect everyone has for them. The Grammies are the perfect stage to launch their new singles. U2 are great manipulators and marketers to be able to convince the execs to let them perform the song.

As I said many times, U2 are run by great marketing and business people.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
So if these reports are true, it looks like Sometimes might not win a Grammy next year.

I guess it shows how powerful U2 are in the music biz.

They can get to perform in a major show like the Grammies, where they are only nominated for one song in minor categories they won't probably win. And what they will perform won't be their nominated song, but the next single they plan to promote. And it's a very long song also.

Cheers,

J

sometimes runs at 5:08 the version they played of walk on at the grammys in 2001 was 5:24.

so it's not like it's the longest song ever or anything and and I'd bet it's not even close to being the longest song ever played at the grammys.

jick said:

What exactly is your logic on this?? You have said this several times. I would like you to provide some concrete proof of this wild speculation. Are you perhaps a member of the nominating committee? Do you know some arcane rule that we do not? "If band performs any song other than the one they are nominated for, said song will be banned from future nominations?"

Stop spouting nonsense and give us some proof for once.

The only reason I can think of for the song SYCMIOYO to not win a Grammy next year is because sheer age of the song is running against it -- the cut-off for nominated songs is in September -- so U2 have to keep promoting their album and its singles until then -- which won't be a problem since they are performing this song on the heels of launching their Vertigo Tour.

"how his Dad gave him the gift of his voice (then he said "although it probably doesn't sound like a gift right now")."

This Bono quote makes me nervous as I wouldn't want him to sing "Sometimes" with a strained voice.

I know, have faith!

:uhoh: So, ah, I know this is a kinda silly question to ask but those of us who are unable to view tonight's program will be able to see it later right?
Just checking... I hate to miss these things.

U2dork said:
:uhoh: So, ah, I know this is a kinda silly question to ask but those of us who are unable to view tonight's program will be able to see it later right?
Just checking... I hate to miss these things.

Oh I wouldn't worry. :) Someone will probably post it in All I want is U2 forum.

I am sick and tired of seeing Usher on the list of nominees.. Its pure crap that the same artists keep getting nominated..

Crap Usher

And cool if U2 play Sometimes.. I love it when bands do something a bit unexpected. Makes me feel like they are pissing all over the common procedure... I have said it before, and i will say it again. I HATE AWARD SHOWS.. Pure crap..

I agree... I really don't get Usher's popularity. But then again, I don't know anyone older than 18 who listens to him. :shrug: He sounds tone deaf to me and I find him to be very boring. The only reason that awful "Yeah!" was so popular was because of Lil Jon's repeating computer wah wah, wah wah in the background.

Back
Top Bottom