MERGED-->Smile Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theedge070

War Child
Smile

I really have gotten to adore this song. It's a bit short, but still put together very nicely.

I would've taken it on HTDAAB over AMAAW or even OSC anyday.

I've always believed that some of the melody from Mercy was derived from Smile.

This song has the highest count on my itunes.

I love Smile - it's one of my favourite tracks of the post-Pop era. I think what held it back from album incusion though is the lack of seriously coherent lyrics. Just what is the theme? Nobody seems to have much of an idea.

Ditto.

Sorry not much to say but yes i very much enjoy this track. In a way im glad its rare, this could be the sort of thing to get hidieously over played , and the 'value' of it lost (E.G. New years day)

I use that example cause fisrt time i heard studio version of NYD (wen i was first learning u2's back catologue) WOW. what a song. it just seems a bit tired these days cause its played so much. Smile will never be like that. Just like Salome for example. And just be glad for that.

If you want my opinion it is (For ease of understanding) Bono talking to an ex lover (Yes i no there are none really) and saying that with her new bloke he dones't want to see her smile (IE Happy) because of the hurt he still feels..

Considering his history with ali , it is amazing that he can write this really.

Miricale_Drug said:
Ditto.

Sorry not much to say but yes i very much enjoy this track. In a way im glad its rare, this could be the sort of thing to get hidieously over played , and the 'value' of it lost (E.G. New years day)

I use that example cause fisrt time i heard studio version of NYD (wen i was first learning u2's back catologue) WOW. what a song. it just seems a bit tired these days cause its played so much. Smile will never be like that. Just like Salome for example. And just be glad for that.
good post :wave: :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom