MERGED ----> Should U2 hang it up? + Why I think U2 should hang it up + U2 finished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many albums do they have left on their contract? I know they signed like a $50 million, 5 album contract a while ago. Do the 5 albums include best of's? Anybody where they are in that contract? I think that may have something to do with them hanging it up. :( If nothing else, at the end of that contract they will be forced to re-evaluate their musical careers.

That aside, as long as they are still a punk rock band that wants to change the world, then God bless 'em and let them keep making music. However if they begin to slip into ADULT CONTEMPORARY, which is what some of you are calling Electrical Drizzle, oh, I mean Storm, then I think they should call it quits.

IMHO

wolfwill23 said:
However if they begin to slip into ADULT CONTEMPORARY, which is what some of you are calling Electrical Drizzle, oh, I mean Storm, then I think they should call it quits.

IMHO

Electrical Storm=Adult Contemporary...Um...:no: :madspit:

well it depends on the next album

another ATYCLB, a journey into adult contemporary wuss rock and its curtains!

if its an album that sells i wouldnt care less, because i know i will not be buying a copy of their future material

during pop era and till 2000 release of ATYCLB , U2 were a great rock'n'roll band to me , interesting , exciting , fresh air , but the new album & tour , dvd were a big disappointment for me ,it seems like everything they said and composed during the 90's , was betrayed , to play SBS again , just because it was a mega - hit , to say soft clean "right" words into the camera . How Long To sing this song .????

I found ATYCLB and Elevation very exciting and full of energy. I was so pumped! I hope they can continue that spirit and feed off of it for the new album!

I don't care if they do go 'adult comtemporary' if that's what they choose to do. They are all older now, that might be what they are feeling. I wouldn't want them to betray their OWN feelings and leanings to force out something that isn't there just to impress the small number of fans who are complaining. U2 have a quality and style that will carry them on for many years.

They aren't likely to lose their main fan base. Even if they did go AC, look, many of their fans are old too, so they'd love it! Many younger fans would appreciate it too. I trust U2.

I refer back to my last post, as long as they think anyone thinks they're old, slow or ready to buy the fish farm, they won't. They're too stubborn, and too cool!

Tabby said:
They aren't likely to lose their main fan base. Even if they did go AC, look, many of their fans are old too, so they'd love it! Many younger fans would appreciate it too. I trust U2.

I refer back to my last post, as long as they think anyone thinks they're old, slow or ready to buy the fish farm, they won't. They're too stubborn, and too cool!

They're not even old! I mean, if they were like 80, I'd say, "Yeah, that's old!" but people are living to be like 110 these days, so if 40 is old, we're in real trouble, don't you think?

You're only as old as you feel anyway!

I dunno - i think that they could come up with another "One" - IMO Kite (if nothing else from ATYCLB) can compete with the glory days hits easily.

As long as they make good albums, i think they'll keep going. As long as they have good music left in them.

Having said that, if it has to end (for whatever reason), it would be nice if their last album would be great.

Eh? Speak up, ya whippersnapper!

Tabby said:

They are all older now, that might be what they are feeling.

They aren't likely to lose their main fan base. Even if they did go AC, look, many of their fans are old too, so they'd love it!

I'm as old as the band, and I do not listen to adult contemporary shit. You may like AC, but some of us "old" folks think it sucks and is boring. I would not "love it" if U2 went AC.

Thank you.

*toddles off to quaff some Geritol*

I don't mind U2 going adult contemporary on the next record (or whatever we want to call it). But they if they do, they shouldn't talk shit about rock n' roll and f'in up the mainstream and being the best band in the world.

I think one of the best gauges of cultural relevance is how people 16-30 receive you - and U2 did not sing to that crowd on ATYCLB.

Re: Maybe it's time

elevation said:
Bono once said that when they started repeating themselves, they would quit - and at another time he said that he didn't like music that reminded people of something that once WAS great. Since U2 on their last album haven't come up with something new - and IMHO have lost their certain spark (and their balls) - well maybe it's time to consider what's next in store for them. Unless they want to dream it all up again?

Seriously - do you ever think they will make a masterpiece like AB or JT again or even an anthem like One (That was more than ten years ago!)? If not - why go ahead? I don't want to see a U2 who only delivers 60-70% what they usually do...again IMHO.

I think is too early to talk about U2 repeating themselves. What do we have? Pop, ATYCLB, which is really different. Now we have The Best Off, with a new single, and he only have heard a demo version. BTW, for me is different than the last album. Talking about a masterpiece like AB or JT, lately we all are worried for that, that maybe they are not able to do something like that again. I say, no, they have changed, they are going to do something different. Let?s wait and see! :sexywink:

One Tree Still said:
I think one of the best gauges of cultural relevance is how people 16-30 receive you - and U2 did not sing to that crowd on ATYCLB.

I am 25 and I felt like U2 was singing to me with ATYCLB. Of course they're not going to be making songs about crushes and all that puppy love category that Britney Spears and the like cover because they're not in that place anymore, but the stuff that they did sing about, the journey you go through as you become more and more of an adult totally spoke to me, is speaking to me as I more and more am figuring out my place in the world. Sometimes I think I'm weird because I do seem to relate too easily to the words of middle-aged men and women, but from where I'm sitting I think that U2 is still dealing with all those universal questions and problems -- love, loss, faith -- that everyone can relate to. Maybe they're not doing it with that freshness that an 18 year old would as they're just beginning to grapple with the big issues, but that's because they're not just starting, they're in the middle of something and that looks and feels different.

The middle of the road is trying to find me, I'm standing in the middle of life with my plans behind me

One Tree Still said:
I don't mind U2 going adult contemporary on the next record (or whatever we want to call it). But they if they do, they shouldn't talk shit about rock n' roll and f'in up the mainstream and being the best band in the world.

Well there's rock on ATYCLB. You know i don't know what's up with the "mainstream" speech obsession around here. He said that YEARS ago, let it go. (by the way, i think that a band that has been around for this long and is this succesful, is perhaps the best answer to the shallow mainstream music)

Best band in the world? Well first any singer will believe that for his own band, and U2 is one of the few that doesn't come off pretentious when they say it. Long career, meaningful music, succesful albums, succesful tours, IMO the best frontman, and there hasn't been anyone from 80's (though i agree REM is a great band too) or 90's to challenge that position.

You know there were a lot of young people buying the album and going to Elevation shows. There's some very young people in here too.

One Tree Still said:

Well, I believe that Limp Bizkit is big with that particular age group... they must be -really- relevant, culturally.

And it's because of attitudes like these that we get videos with semi-naked teenage girls rolling around 50+ rockers stuck in a Never-never land.

I'm not saying every band that identifies with the 16-30 age group is relevant.

Limp Bizkit is one of the worst "bands" to come along in a good, long while.

But if you're a good, solid band and you have the ear of the 16-30 age group, you are culturally relevant IMO.

I think U2 is on the edge of that relevance today.

Don't hold your breath for the Boomers to go away

The generation that U2 is from and speaks to - the Late Baby Boomers - is the biggest, most self-absorbed, self-referential, egotistical generation in human history, and anybody who thinks we are "going away" because we've passed 30 or 40 is in for a big, big surprise.

In the 60s, 70s and 80s, our parents were pissed, because it was all about US.

And in the 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s, our children and grandchildren are going to be pissed, because it is STILL going to be all about us.

Better get used to it. We're gonna be around for the next 30-40 years. :macdevil:

Why I think U2 should hang it up

From 1979 to 1997, U2 made music that mattered. It was cutting edge, risky, unlike anything else out there. They defined a genre that nobody else really dared to enter because they knew they?d look stupid trying to go up against U2. In that sense, U2 created their own genre.

I was almost 17 when The Joshua Tree was released. If you weren?t between the ages of 14 and 24 in 1987, you probably weren?t that in-tune with the entire context of the time. The pop culture, the politics, the trends ? the general feel of the backside of the 80s. Those of us who were are lucky because I believe we have experienced U2 to their fullest. You can listen to JT now and be moved, but if you weren?t ?there?, you can?t totally appreciate how amazing that record was ? the record that vaulted U2 into the stratosphere and lets face it, made die-hard fans out of most of us. I was a casual fan prior to The Joshua Tree, but I think I only owned the War album. After Joshua Tree, I bought them all. Once I did, I realized the songs I had listened to casually were an emotional and spiritual part of the fabric of my life even in the early 80s.

I was 21 and halfway through my senior year of college when Achtung Baby was released. Again, to be 21 and have your entire adult life ahead of you, to be concerned about the war, to be amazed that the vague, scary and seemingly behemoth idea of communism was crumbling before our eyes ? to be engulfed in all of that and to then have U2 pump out an ass-kicking, confusing, dark yet celebratory album like Achtung Baby?it?s hard to describe how cool and apropos that was. Again, you had to be there.

I only bring up 2 examples ?cause I?m probably boring you to death by now with my introspection, but I write about them to make a point ? U2?s music really mattered then. It was about something bigger than the songs themselves. The stage theatrics and the mysterious personas that U2 used so deftly were all part of the thing that made us think when we listened to U2.

We don?t have to think anymore.

U2 is a fantastic band and they certainly have every right to continue making music ? my opinion has no bearing on them whatsoever ? but I believe they put their untouchable back-catalog at risk if they continue to make music like we got from ATYCLB and even Electrical Storm. There?s very little in their latest music to make anyone stand up and take notice ? which is what U2 was all about for almost 20 years of their career.

:ohmy:

I think they have never ever sounded as fresh as they did on the U2-three single

they should have quit right back then
everything after is nothing more but a blemish

While I haven't tremendously enjoyed U2's output since 1994, I was 14 when Achtung Baby came out, and although I wasn't aware enough to understand the world-weariness that fed into the recording of the album, my life was in such a personal maelstrom back then that the album was my solitary salvation, and has been ever since. The darkness,.. it spoke to me then as it speaks to me now.. If they aren't able to recreate that (to me, at least, it's all subjective anyway), I will be okay with that because I'll know that it's quite possible that each of their songs means as much to someone else who needs it as AB did for me way back when. :)

I could not disagree more. I think they are very relevant and vital. Didn't you see the Elevation tour? That was a band taking flight, as they said, and they aren't landing anytime soon. U2 have many good years left in them. It would be a loss to the world if they 'hung it up.' I have noticed your posts are always negative about the band. If you don't like them quit moaning and go take up with someone else's message board!

Bonofire said:
I could not disagree more. I think they are very relevant and vital. Didn't you see the Elevation tour? That was a band taking flight, as they said, and they aren't landing anytime soon. U2 have many good years left in them. It would be a loss to the world if they 'hung it up.' I have noticed your posts are always negative about the band. If you don't like them quit moaning and go take up with someone else's message board!

I'm not sure who you were addressing, but One Tree Still's post was very well written and not at all negative.

We are all entitled to express our opinions. You will always encounter fans who have a much different perspective about what the future of U2 should be - that doesn't mean they should find another message board to do it at. Let's keep this friendly.

well, ya know
Bono said he will make music as long as they don't become a crap band.
and he said that a crap band is not when people [such as yourself] all think they should quit or when they don't sell many records.
it's when they stop blowing their own minds.

U2 are still having fun, they're still becoming inspired,
larry said he thinks they will always be involved in music in someway

Maybe they'll just reduce how much recording they do, maybe stop playing live
but I think U2 will be with us for a long time yet

U2 1977-2000 was a big thing for me , mysterious , always interesting , it all ended with the release of ATYCLB , i've waited for it soo long , i read all reviews , beautiful day singles were great , mdh sountrack awesome , first time i felt " something's not right " during those 30sec of eacn song from www.u2.com , it didn't sound any good or interesting , the album itself was good solid work and that's it ... something gone ... a feeling of a rock group.. i hope next album will be better ......

I've been a fan of this band and their records since I heard Pride on my schoolbus back in 1984. I've seen all the phases, JT, Zoo, Pop, and Elevation. ATYCLB certainly made me take notice. There was no real gimic w/ ATYCLB and the Elevation tour, it was just the band writing and playing good songs. That record and tour dominated 2001, heard the songs everywhere-parties, bars, radio. Everyone I know owns it, we saw the tour in big groups, listened to ALYCLB before and after gigs. Damn good record, infact, the track run of BD-IALW is on par with anything the band has ever done.

Considering that U2 is a band that changes thier sound with every album, it is fair to say that not everyone is going to like a certain incarnation of the band. A lot of people got pissed AB and Zooropa, because it wasn't political anymore. People got pissed with JT because it wasn't indie anymore. People got pissed with Pop because it had loops and samples.

Personally, I think I will wait and see what the next new album brings...however, I think we will see yet another evolution of the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom