MERGED --> Should Mercy have been on HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it shouldn't have. Every song on HTDAAB is better than this. This is a good b-side, that's it. AYGWF and Neon Lights are both better, too.

should Mercy have been on the album? NO. Great lyrics but would have taken a lot more work and direction musically for this to be a positive addition on the album.

A tiny bit of work and IMO could have been a fantastic single. This song had a shitload of potential. If the intro was shortened a lot and a solo was added, plus some minor reworks, this would have been fantastic.

This sounds unmixed and unmastered to me. An early version. So if it had been on the album, it would have been a lot cleaner and tighter.

As it as anyway, I love it just as much as anything on HTDAAB. These are Bono's best lyrics since Pop, too.

great song, it definetly needs work, but it has so much potential. I think they maybe should take it back to the studio, dont release it as a b-side, and put it on the next album. The chorus is irresistable, and the way Bono sings the first verse is so great. "Love will come again....I'll be gone again...again..." I love that line, Adam and Edge are great on this!

Not in this current version it shouldnt have been.

The excitement about it being new will wear off and will it maintain its quality, doubt it. They should cut the song down by about 2 minutes and keep all the great parts of the track.

not to mention this album already has a track on it "City Of Blinding Lights" with the "where the streets have no name" type start to it, it certainly didnt need another track that had it.

Not in the current version, but this song has so much potential, it's a shame it only has developed to "the best B-side". It could have been an excellent A-side.

Maybe in the future?

starsgoblue said:
I think the length is perfect...it doesn't even feel like a 6 and a half minute song

Agreed. And I don't see the Miracle Drug connection made by some ...

david said:

it builds like Miracle Drug.

Still not sure about that ... I think I'll have to listen to them back-to-back to really judge.

Quick question -- for someone who is holding out until the 23rd to listen to the album, but allowing himself any b-side that strolls along...

If I had lackluster feelings about chunks of ATYCLB and just heard Mercy and was blown away on the first listen...am I in for a treat with the album? Is this representative of the feel on the album? Are the tracks more on the anthemic side like this? Or stripped down again like some of ATYCLB?

Thanks in advance.

Why do we have that bloody OSC when we could have had Mercy after All because of you...

U2_Guy said:
Why do we have that bloody OSC when we could have had Mercy after All because of you...

Because One Step Closer is like a fine wine. I've posted this analogy so many times I don't feel like repeating myself. Just drown in OSC and indulge in its subtle beauty. It's the RTSS or Heartland of this album.

Axver said:

Because One Step Closer is like a fine wine. I've posted this analogy so many times I don't feel like repeating myself. Just drown in OSC and indulge in its subtle beauty. It's the RTSS or Heartland of this album.

Man, don't say that...

Running and Heartland are BRILLIANT songs, deeply emotional songs that actually went somewhere... They are all time faves...

OSC is BORING like Peace on earth and Grace. There's moments of OSC that are 100% like POE in boredom. Lazy Bono's vocals and lousy Edge's guitar...

Not every U2 song will grown on everybody man...

OSC is not fine wine. It's not even a fine fizzy drink.

I couldn't disagree with you more. OSC contains a subtle beauty and you really need to indulge in this song. It sneaks up on you, it's not obvious. And it's the perfect link between CFYT and OOTS. The album would be so much weaker without it.

I say it's a soft, insightful track and you can feel the one step.

Axver said:
I couldn't disagree with you more. OSC contains a subtle beauty and you really need to indulge in this song. It sneaks up on you, it's not obvious. And it's the perfect link between CFYT and OOTS. The album would be so much weaker without it.

I say it's a soft, insightful track and you can feel the one step.

Well, if U2 was able to touch at least one fan with this song that's ok. I'm glad they succeeded with ya.

But please don't like the song because you feel you have to like it...

Like it cause you think it's a fine song. Tell me that's your case.

Yes, I love it because I feel it's like a fine wine. Its beauty actually struck me on the second listen - well, perhaps even on the first, when I realised it felt like it was from UF and had heaps of atmosphere to explore. On the second listen and all subsequent listens, I've been exploring the atmosphere. It's a stunning piece of work.

the production on mercy is better than anything on htdaab. i love htdaab but this is more how i wanted the album to sound, a bit grittier. what exactly do we know about this song other than the blender article? is it destined for a bside or was that just a figure of speech by bono? do you think this could have been taken from the stolen france cd???

I do not believe it could have made this album.....but it could have been a very good song on ATYCLB.....Who produced Mercy?

trashdaveed said:
Quick question -- for someone who is holding out until the 23rd to listen to the album, but allowing himself any b-side that strolls along...

If I had lackluster feelings about chunks of ATYCLB and just heard Mercy and was blown away on the first listen...am I in for a treat with the album? Is this representative of the feel on the album? Are the tracks more on the anthemic side like this? Or stripped down again like some of ATYCLB?

Thanks in advance.

If you love Mercy, you'll love the album. HTDAAB is much more similar to Mercy than ALYCLB. That said, there really isn't any of the "ringing guitar sound" like you get toward the beginning of Mercy. But I would put HTDAAB on the same page as the final couple minutes of Mercy.

I think all the songs pretty much on HTDAAB that are "rockers" are better written then Mercy, if they worked on it a bit more it may have made the album.

no..it is a GREAT song, moves me so much...i'm really in love with it and it is going to stay with me for ever, but i can see why they left it out..keep it as a b side, us hardcore fans will get copies of it anyway and burn our own cds...it's fun that way...keep the essence of the album as it is and we'll add other songs if we see fit

Should "Mercy" have been included on the new album?

A question to those who have heard (a) the new album and (b) the song "Mercy," the MP3 of which is making the P2P/download rounds:

Should U2 have included the song on the new album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom