MERGED-->Secret NYC Show/New Yorkers! Show's on Monday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, I went down to washington sq. and there was nothin goin on.
this is the first I'm hearing about the brooklyn location...and you need tickets?? damn it.
forget playin hooky from work I guess...:sad:

This age thing is so very, very wrong on so many levels.

I got a ticket through that Iota website, but I lied. I said I was 29. Looking at the fine print on that website, I then noticed that you can still be refused admittance to the event even if you have a ticket. In other words, if you don't have the right LOOK, you can be rejected.

Believe me, my age and my appearance do not fit the MTV demographic. And I will not put myself into a situation in which I can be rejected because of my looks.

I would like to give Mr. Paul McGuinness a piece of my mind about this. Yes, I know he's not responsible for Iota's fine print. Sure, it's important to appeal to the kids. But don't put the band in situations in which they could alienate those of us who have been fans since the beginning or close to the beginning...those of us most responsible for giving them great lives.

Diane L said:
This age thing is so very, very wrong on so many levels.

I got a ticket through that Iota website, but I lied. I said I was 29. Looking at the fine print on that website, I then noticed that you can still be refused admittance to the event even if you have a ticket. In other words, if you don't have the right LOOK, you can be rejected.

Believe me, my age and my appearance do not fit the MTV demographic. And I will not put myself into a situation in which I can be rejected because of my looks.

I would like to give Mr. Paul McGuinness a piece of my mind about this. Yes, I know he's not responsible for Iota's fine print. Sure, it's important to appeal to the kids. But don't put the band in situations in which they could alienate those of us who have been fans since the beginning or close to the beginning...those of us most responsible for giving them great lives.

LOL..I lied too..said I was 25....

You goin in tomorrow? I just finished rescheduling clients..

Those of you who lied I have bad news for you. All MTV sponsored events, you WILL get your ID checked. I don't know what their policy is regarding this but it may cause your admission to be denied.

BonoBabe40 said:

LOL..I lied too..said I was 25....

You goin in tomorrow? I just finished rescheduling clients..

I'm afraid I'm not. I'm going to try to give my ticket back to Iota. I'd gladly give it to a Interferencer, but they want you to have a photo ID too. (Picky, picky!)

I just can't let myself be judged. The thing I didn't mention--I'm overweight, and not just a couple of pounds either. 40-something + overweight = what an MTV watcher's MOM might look like, not an MTV viewer!

I hope everyone who goes has a fantabulous time, though!!! Come back with plenty of stories and mp3s!

Diane....you aren't going because of MTV being pooheads? Come on now....don't be so hard on yourself, you deserve this as much as anyone else does if not moreso--you're a true fan of U2. I hope you'll change your mind.

You may have to sign a waiver as well. I did one of their New Years Eve shindigs about 2 years ago now and I had to go through this process just to get in. ID, Waiver, and they sometimes arrange crowds their own way.

It sucks but at the end we're not paying to get in.

I feel sorry for those people that are flying in and have no clue the show isnt completely open to anyone. They will likely end up getting the shaft on this one.

Oh, Stars, thank you! :hug: I don't want to hijack this thread with my tale of woe. I DO feel guilty that I have a ticket when someone more suitable to MTV's programming needs does not. But there will be a stand-by line, so someone will get in that way.

But nothing--I mean NOTHING--will keep me from attending a concert during the tour! And I will wait by the stage door (hopefully with lots of nice Interferencers) do say "Hi" to Our Guys!

Just talked to a friend who made a few calls for me...says there's no permits filed in NYC for anything like this *shrug* Goin in anyway

Okay,I'm a bit nervous now too. Taking the others' advice on here,I put I was 27,when I'm actually in my 30s. If any else who knows a lot about these MTV events can shed more light on this before I trek down there tomorrow,I'd greatly appreciate it. It's such a shame that people like me who have been fans of theirs for over 20 years,and have spent so much $ on them should have to go through this.

Diane L said:
Oh, Stars, thank you! :hug: I don't want to hijack this thread with my tale of woe. I DO feel guilty that I have a ticket when someone more suitable to MTV's programming needs does not.

But nothing--I mean NOTHING--will keep me from attending a concert during the tour! And I will wait by the stage door (hopefully with lots of nice Interferencers) do say "Hi" to Our Guys!

You are not less suited for MTV's programming needs, sweet pea. Don't feel guilty at all...it's YOUR ticket, YOU should go. :heart:

If you live near me, I'll definetly brave the crowds with you to meet our boys. :yes:

Diane L said:

I'm afraid I'm not. I'm going to try to give my ticket back to Iota. I'd gladly give it to a Interferencer, but they want you to have a photo ID too. (Picky, picky!)

I just can't let myself be judged. The thing I didn't mention--I'm overweight, and not just a couple of pounds either. 40-something + overweight = what an MTV watcher's MOM might look like, not an MTV viewer!

I hope everyone who goes has a fantabulous time, though!!! Come back with plenty of stories and mp3s!

Hey don't do that. You don't know for sure what is going to happen. I am far far far from MTV's vision with weight to loose to but I am going.

One4U2 got the tickets and she never had to lie about the age they gave her the offer for the tickets before we even saw it posted on line.

Please don't let these idiots make you feel you shouldn't be there. U2 is worth the try.

well, i have directions to the park. but i am not allowed to post links. if you go into google and type "empire fulton ferry state park" click on the second link, there's even a little map showing you how to get there from the subways.

i'm going even though i lied about my age. but i am lucky that i don't "look" my age, nor do i dress my age. i'm taking a work id that has my picture and name. if that doesn't work i'll show a driver's license and hope they don't scrutinise the tiny print that displays my date of birth.

i think that they might say they're going to check ID to limit scalpers or whatever, and also as a security precaution. i can see them matching names against a list, i can't see them taking the time to look at birthdates. if anything, again, they'll classify you (i don't tend to think of it as judging, as you can only be judged if you let yourself be) by appearance and not what your ID says.

they may say a lot of things that don't get enforced. when the rolling stones played a MTV gig, live at the 10 spot, even though they had all the same restrictions, if you actually showed up at the location where the buses were, you got into the show, they never stopped to check id's.

you can't win if you don't play. i'd rather try to get in and not get in than sit at home and wish i had tried. i can never think of a situation where i regretted trying to get into something. i can think of many where i didn't try and now all i have to say for it was: i was lame

Last edited:
MTV Surprise Performance?

I'm not sure if this is right or not. But my friend sent me this email and we both signed up for tickets even though I won't be able to make it.

MTV is having a surprise performance in Brooklyn, NY tomorrow at 2:30 pm. The only information that is noted is that the band is (and I quote), "one of the world's most influential rock bands."

It's supposed to be a secret, they said, because of the "magnitude of the band." Apparently it's supposed to be in Empire State Park.

I'm hoping and thinking that this could be a surprise U2 performance because their album does debut the next day and they're one of the most influential magnificent rock bands in the world.

I'm so sad to think that I could be missing it, but I thought I'd spread the word that on the off chance it is them, someone else could check it out and have a good time (and could take lots of photos for me! haha).

That's all. Have a nice day!

do you have to have tickets to get to see it? is it outdoors or what?
can't you just walk up to the area?

Is anyone else going alone, needs tickets or wants to meet up before the show? My only problem is I can't guarantee that I'll get in because of the age thing,and I've been sick. If i feel okay I'm almost definitely going down though,let me know.
deanbrigs@aol.com

it's outdoors.
it's unknown whether or not access to the area will be limited. 1iota is an "audience procurement" service, they may not have the entire allotment of tickets.

just to be sure .... no one is going to washington square park? I was thinking of going there first and then if nothing happens taking the train down to empire fulton ferry state park, the A/F train is right there.

mudd_club said:
you can't win if you don't play. i'd rather try to get in and not get in than sit at home and wish i had tried. i can never think of a situation where i regretted trying to get into something. i can think of many where i didn't try and now all i have to say for it was: i was lame
:up: Yes, Diane L, please...go, go, GO!!!!

JOFO said:
do you have to have tickets to get to see it? is it outdoors or what?
can't you just walk up to the area?

You will need tickets to see it, its not a massive area in terms of letting everyone who wants to walk up to see it. The area is enclosed by fences with that dark tarp material over the fences at least thats what I remember the last time Ive been to this site.

MTV does crap at this site all the time and I believe Aerosmith or the Stones held a press conference there announcing a tour or a release or something like that, it's always fenced off.

bonosleftone said:

You will need tickets to see it, its not a massive area in terms of letting everyone who wants to walk up to see it. The area is enclosed by fences with that dark tarp material over the fences at least thats what I remember the last time Ive been to this site.

MTV does crap at this site all the time and I believe Aerosmith or the Stones held a press conference there announcing a tour or a release or something like that, it's always fenced off.

well, I've got no tickets, so I ain't goin.:down:

Back
Top Bottom