MERGED-->Original of the Species Super thread!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really really really really really love this song......it surprised me a lot,because i didn't expect OOTS to sound that way.
But i still have to download the rest of the songs,because i've listened only to Vertigo,COBL(live) and this one.

and yes i will buy the album.

Hi Everyone!... I just wanted to state the obvious: Original of the Species is awesome. It's beautiful, and very captivating... for me it's right up there with the best of U2 tracks.

Also, slightly off topic, but I really don't know where else to ask this, as I don't know how to search the threads very well... Does anyone know if 'Fast Cars' is available yet?

Thank you!

-- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

Indeed, the Hey Jude-effect will elevate the whole city :wink:

Although I prefer the faster and louder songs, OOTS will be one of my all-time favourites. I never thought they could do a song like that. Yes, it's beatlesesque, but better...

disco2blue said:

Also, slightly off topic, but I really don't know where else to ask this, as I don't know how to search the threads very well... Does anyone know if 'Fast Cars' is available yet?

Thank you!

-- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

I think I can wait till the albums out for this song. Got enough to keep me busy meantime!:wink:

I have a feeling that this won't be released as a single. The fact that it is the second to last song gives me that feeling.

It is my favorite from the album. It will be one of those classics that is never released as a single. The general music loving public will not be familiar with the song but at every U2 concert fans will recognize the song from the first note and go crazy.

I am not sure why, but no matter who yousendsit it cuts off in the middle of download. I am really dying for this song. I am sick of only hearing the first half and everytime being jerked out of it.

I would really love it if someone could email me OOTS.

Thanks.

jrherman@earthlink.net

very true, rjhbonovox, I 'can' wait... I think I was just spoiled the last couple of days. Literally, my days have been centered around new U2 lol... analyzing, trying to come up with my own song orders, comparing... but mostly, really starting to realize this can be the 'third' great u2 album. That said, not necessarily being better than Joshua Tree or AB, but at least being the third best album thus far, and given U2's age and how long they've been around, that is quite an accomplishment. Many, many, many bands that have had classic behind them, usually fade off into the sunset... unable to re-capture their greatness, but not this time, HTDAAB is wonderful. I was fearful after 'ATYCLB', because that album sounded like an uncreative vanishing commencemnt... but what U2 essentially did now was made the album that ATYCLB was 'supposed' to be - the third masterpiece! Just my opinion, but I simply am getting the the shivery feeling that was absent when I first heard ATYCLB... I forced myself into believing it was great back then... but as time went on, and I gradually found myself playing the album less and less, I realized that ultimately I was disappointed. Even rolling stone magazine fooled themselves at the beginning of ATYCLB release, because I think no one wanted to comprehend that U2 had released an album with which they took a step back a couple decades, before they knew how to make classics.
Thank you U2 for this album, they delivered what I was hoping for - something comparable to AB and Joshua Tree, something that I never had to 'force' myself into believing was classic or great. HTDAAB hit my guts immediately, and its impact is still spreading throughout my soul, and instead of diminishing with time, it'll grow - that's the sign of a great record.

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

Original of the Species

is one of the greatest songs of all time.

It absolutely blows my mind. I was just singing this song on the subway while it blasted in my mp3 player.

If it is not a single that would be sacreligious.

If it is not song and record of the year that would be a crime.

I absolutely adore this song.

Sorry, I know this does not deserve its own thread but I felt I needed to get this off my chest.

Beautiful, majestic, inspiring, tearful, powerful....

So many adjectives to describe this wonderful melody....

This song is so beautiful, this band clearly is only scratching the surface of its genius. whoa! I am so amazed by the beauty and all of the above the song evokes eac time I hear it, I love the acoustic piano version live at Apple. Hauntingly beautiful. Anyone have th guitar chords? Peace.

jamespaulaidan, what's this acoustic piano version live at Apple you're talking about? Is there a place we could hear this?

I was actually talking about the album version - but I had forgotten about the apple one :) - thank you for the translation
on the album it is very low but he is clearly muttering about something....

nurse chrissi said:
I was actually talking about the album version - but I had forgotten about the apple one :) - thank you for the translation
on the album it is very low but he is clearly muttering about something....

doh

I agree. I won't bother to say what I really think about this song, because I can't express it in words.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I think it's "This is the part where it becomes a classic" because he hits a sour note.

Actually, I think he was referring to the dobab dobab part as a "big word when it becomes a hit." :shrug:

what a brilliant fecking song. this song breaks me apart...i dont even know where to begin. i don't think i've ever felt this way about a song. i try to explain but it doesnt help. joy.pain.hope.despair.love.love.love.

this song wakes me up

mofo82 said:
what a brilliant fecking song. this song breaks me apart...i dont even know where to begin. i don't think i've ever felt this way about a song. i try to explain but it doesnt help. joy.pain.hope.despair.love.love.love.

this song wakes me up

Yes, I second this, Mofo. Those emotions are all there and is captured perfectly by the melody and guitar work. To me, it also adds so much more to the song knowing it's Bono singing about Edge's daughter, Holly. He sees her growing up and going out into the world and sort of living through her his experiences when he was the same age. All the insecurities of being accepted by your peers, the doubts of going out into the world, the uncertainties, etc...walking alone beneath Shadows and Tall Trees.

Still my favorite tune on the album... :)

ADecentMelody said:

Yes, I second this, Mofo. Those emotions are all there and is captured perfectly by the melody and guitar work. To me, it also adds so much more to the song knowing it's Bono singing about Edge's daughter, Holly. He sees her growing up and going out into the world and sort of living through her his experiences when he was the same age. All the insecurities of being accepted by your peers, the doubts of going out into the world, the uncertainties, etc...walking alone beneath Shadows and Tall Trees.

Still my favorite tune on the album... :)

Interestingly enough, I think it's the intent of the song more than the lyrics or melody that makes this one, as so many have proclaimed, "Beatlesesque." It's much like "Hey Jude," which of course Macca wrote for Julian Lennon. (albeit under more icky circumstances).

Back
Top Bottom