MERGED-->Original of the species radio single in US-new strings+OOTS (single version)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lo-Fi said:
Personally I don't find it a very strong song anyway it's just too soft and sentimental for my liking and just to 'poppy'.
IT'S A SINGLE, IT'S SOLE PURPOSE IS TO BE POPULAR, WHAT KIND OF A CRITIQUE IS THAT.

If the info about the new single version of OOTS are true, then I wouldn't think they'd use the video from the Chicago DVD because it would be the stripped down, Edge on piano, sans guitar version. Hopefully it'll mean they throw it back in the setlist now and again...with guitar

Re: Original of the species is the radio single in US - new strings

I almost sure that they will release a 5th single in the rest of the world, because they're actually starting a new leg in a lot of countries!

gmplace0401 said:
If the info about the new single version of OOTS are true, then I wouldn't think they'd use the video from the Chicago DVD because it would be the stripped down, Edge on piano, sans guitar version. Hopefully it'll mean they throw it back in the setlist now and again...with guitar

Maybe they'll use the footage they shot in Milan with the full orchestra?

gmplace0401 said:

This song could end up like If God Will Send His Angels or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses though...

I sure hope not

typhoon said:

IT'S A SINGLE, IT'S SOLE PURPOSE IS TO BE POPULAR, WHAT KIND OF A CRITIQUE IS THAT.

:lmao: Original is the best song on the damn album, and the catchiest, and I want it to be on the radio so I can be like YES U2'S ON THE RADIO I LOVE THIS SONG and sing along to it like a jerk and they should play it live at every show, especially December 10th Cleveland.

ABOY is a good song and was a natural choice for a single... I think the problem (in the US anyway) was its placement. Shoulda had Sometimes be the second single, ABOY third. The general strategy I've noticed most bands take is rock song first, ballad second, then another rock song, then a midtempo-not-quite-ballad-but-not-really-hard-rock song, and it tends to work. I think OOTS shoulda been the fourth single - City to me was a bad choice. Oh, and the single mix of ABOY kicks the shit out of the album mix, they should have used that mix in the US.

I love me some OOTS :drool:

I also think that they will use the DVD footage as the video for OOTS, which I like. And I agree that COBL deserved a real video, even though that live one was pretty cool that song would have made one hell of a video even with the song being butchered for a single. :mad:

Even though the album is (almost) a year old I would love if they released a 6th single. Miracle Drug or maybe LAPOE! :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and i friggin like all because of you and i'm sick of people calling it a bad single so go bugger off
The song AND the video kicks major ass! :rockon:

Lo-Fi said:

I hope not, the album is already a year old, it's had 4 singles off of it. They'd be flogging a dead horse if they stretched it out for another single. No more please, the album and the singles have been a success, time to just finish off the tour next March and then think about the next phase of their career.

Personally I don't find it a very strong song anyway it's just too soft and sentimental for my liking and just to 'poppy'.

Still, 'Pop' had 5 singles released from it in the UK, so who know's, but I really hope they just put HTDAAB to bed now, it seems the right time.

A dead horse?

This is an epic album, easily surpassing their last... Fifty percent of
the tracks are instant classics...To have the wherewithall, after 25 years, to deliver this fresh of a product is completely unprecedented in rock & roll... It is utterly astounding...

Original of the Species, meanwhile, could be the best of the lot...
That intense wall of sound created by Edge as the song crescendos, with Bono belting out his "Show your soul..." is the most powerful sequence on the album...

They need to rework the keyboard at the beginning, which sounds like a child's music box (intentionaly I guess). The single version perhaps will replace the keys (or add to them) with Edge's chords, as they've done on the most recent live renditions...

They had to make this one a single...

AtomicBono said:

ABOY is a good song and was a natural choice for a single... I think the problem (in the US anyway) was its placement. Shoulda had Sometimes be the second single, ABOY third. The general strategy I've noticed most bands take is rock song first, ballad second, then another rock song, then a midtempo-not-quite-ballad-but-not-really-hard-rock song, and it tends to work. I think OOTS shoulda been the fourth single - City to me was a bad choice. Oh, and the single mix of ABOY kicks the shit out of the album mix, they should have used that mix in the US.

Great post. This is right on target. I was shocked that Sometimes was not released as the second single. I was 100% sure it would be, with ABOY to follow. Whether people here like ABOY or not, it is perfectly logical they would make it into a single. It fits all the criteria for appealing to the general public: short rocker, heavy bass line, catchy lyrics, etc... Along with Vertigo, ABOY is a virtual blueprint for how to sell records... Atomic, is the single version you are referring to not available in the US?

Whether or not they should have released OOTS be4 COBL is debatable. While OOTS is much more complex, it may not have the same mass appeal as COBL, we'll see...

Can't wait to hear what they've done with it, they'd be crazy not to also release OOTS in Europe...

This is probably off topic, and probably a year too late, but I was listening to the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's version of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground earlier today, and thought, oh my goodness, LAPOE's verse chord progressions (guitar parts and bass work) is a direct rip-off from Higher Ground. This is different kinda rip-off from Beautiful Day's use of the common door bell chord progression. Maybe that's why LAPOE was not considered as a single. It seemed so obvious.

I kid you not. :|

Last edited:
Originally posted by jrjunior31
Great post. This is right on target. I was shocked that Sometimes was not released as the second single. I was 100% sure it would be, with ABOY to follow. Whether people here like ABOY or not, it is perfectly logical they would make it into a single. It fits all the criteria for appealing to the general public: short rocker, heavy bass line, catchy lyrics, etc... Along with Vertigo, ABOY is a virtual blueprint for how to sell records... Atomic, is the single version you are referring to not available in the US?

Whether or not they should have released OOTS be4 COBL is debatable. While OOTS is much more complex, it may not have the same mass appeal as COBL, we'll see...

Can't wait to hear what they've done with it, they'd be crazy not to also release OOTS in Europe...

No, the single version of ABOY was only released in Europe (and the rest of the world?? I don't know). In everywhere but the U.S. Sometimes was the second single, then ABOY. I think. Anyway, the single version of ABOY has much better production and some more guitar like from the alternate version released on iTunes.

I never thought City would be a good single - it's too long for one thing. U2 could get away with an epic buildup on radio in the late 80's, but nowadays radio seems to be hesitant to play something longer than four minutes. For another, it's damn sad but there are people that react with "oMg SpeEd Of SoUnD!!!11" Really though it's just too "typical U2" for me - don't get me wrong, I love the song, but I think U2 should release the stuff that's a little different - Love and Peace or Else, Original of the Species, Fast Cars. Something to really get people's attention. Original to me is the perfect pop song, but now that the A-Bomb's been out a year I dunno how well it will do. I hope it does better than COBL. I guess they just need to promote the hell out of it, but then people will be like OMG SELLOUTS. :sigh:

They're realeasing it as a single because it's the best song on the record (overall) and it'll win every Grammy it's nominated for.

MTEdge said:
Maybe that's why LAPOE was not considered as a single. It seemed so obvious.

I kid you not. :|

All of the singles lately seem pretty obvious. I'm not sure that criterion would prevent LAPOE from being a single, I think it's probably less obvious than the others, actually, even with the basic blues rock progressions.

I always thought of "How Many More Times" with that song, but I never actually checked out the notes or the chord progression, it's similar enough just by a casual listen.

U2DMfan said:

All of the singles lately seem pretty obvious. I'm not sure that criterion would prevent LAPOE from being a single, I think it's probably less obvious than the others, actually, even with the basic blues rock progressions.

I always thought of "How Many More Times" with that song, but I never actually checked out the notes or the chord progression, it's similar enough just by a casual listen.

It's funny, I've always thought Love & Peace was very "Beatlesesque". The first time I heard it I instantly thought of "Yer Blues" off the White Album. The heavy guitar lick by Edge sounds like that big Gretsch (no idea if thats how its spelled) that Lennon used to use.

The White Album... Not a bad place for The Edge, or Paige for that matter, to get a couple ideas from...

jrjunior31 said:

It's funny, I've always thought Love & Peace was very "Beatlesesque". The first time I heard it I instantly thought of "Yer Blues" off the White Album. The heavy guitar lick by Edge sounds like that big Gretsch (no idea if thats how its spelled) that Lennon used to use.

The White Album... Not a bad place for The Edge, or Paige for that matter, to get a couple ideas from...

The White Album :drool: :drool: :drool:

OOTS even with Edge's signature delay, to me is very Harrison-esque, even if that's just a "feeling" and doesn't actually correlate to Harrison's style at all. I play guitar, but I wouldn't say I am a technical expert to pick out such things.

It's too damn bad that it wasn't a double album as well.

U2DMfan said:

The White Album :drool: :drool: :drool:

OOTS even with Edge's signature delay, to me is very Harrison-esque, even if that's just a "feeling" and doesn't actually correlate to Harrison's style at all. I play guitar, but I wouldn't say I am a technical expert to pick out such things.

It's too damn bad that it wasn't a double album as well.

The White Album...The ultimate yardstick. Will anything ever measure up? Probably not in our lifetime...

No band has ever made me feel the way I do when listening to the Beatles, like literally at times coming to the brink of tears... But U2 brings out that similar emotion in me. My old man is McCartney's age and grew up in London, hence my early exposure to the Beatles. What I find really interesting is that he shares my same love for U2. The bands are obviously very different, but its weird, they are in many ways the same. They just, to use one of Bono's lines, take you to that other place...

I think many would agree with you about Original of the Species, and the Beatles influences... It's probably why I love the song so much. At the moment I dont think there's another track on the album close to it even. I'm sure that will change though haha...

Last album, Wild Honey I thought was their most Beatles influenced. Maybe partly because of the name, but moreso (as you said earlier), just by a casual listen...

original of the species (single version)

Anybody heard this new version yet? Promo copies of the song were sent out to U.S. radiostations last week. Even on e-bay appeared a copy....

The thing I want most in the single version of OOTS is the keyboard progression in the chorus...the progression was some kind of electronic chime and very faint on the album version, and the keyboard progression is much better. It literally makes the chorus 100x better.

Back
Top Bottom