MERGED-->One Step Closer Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFlyOnTheWall

Refugee
One Step Closer

Some say that this song is the Grace(POE of the new album (which, unfortunatley is not a good thing). I didn't listen to the leaks, and don't tend to, but I want to hear other opinions - is it that "bad"? :ohmy:

Is it s filler? Or a song that deserves place on the album? Can you compare it with some other songs put on other albums?

Well, some of those who compare it to Running To Stand Still - I don't agree. I think Running To Stand Still is a great song, which builds up - unfortunately, One Step Closer doesn't. The album would be better without it. I think it's repetive. Not that it's slow, no problem, but it just doesn't make the cut.
Maybe it's because of the other songs that just kick so much arse, but in either case the song is weak.
But don't worry, it's their best since Achtung Baby.

It is absolutely beautiful and simple. I kept expecting it to go somewhere else but I love it for what it is.

It's not a rock song, which means 1/2 the people on this board won't like it. It's an ambient little piece, and the album needs it with all the chaos of the other songs.

To sum it up, i think its the weakest on the album...and its pretty f-in good. Kills GRACE, which I like, it has the strange element to it which makes it very interesting. Has great lyrics too. Very solid.

discothequeLP said:
i love it!! it's just great!!

DLP, I've always loved your posts, what do you think of the album? Are you jumping around the room over it like me?

RademR said:

DLP, I've always loved your posts, what do you think of the album? Are you jumping around the room over it like me?

actually, it's really cool.

i woke up this morning at like 7:30, and i was thinking "what if the album came out today? i'd burn a copy and listen to it like 20 times over!" i'm not kidding! i turned on my computer, check interfernce.com, and bam, there it is, 'the album has been leaked.' i pretty much soaked my pants.

it think the album is just amazing. the sound quality of the leaks isn't as good as the quality on the album will be, but the songs are just amazing. unlike ATYCLB, there are no fillers! every song is just great. Miracle Drug is just amazing. SYCMIOYO, the falseto is great. LaPoE, pretty much self explanatory :wink: . AMaaW, wow, brand new u2 sound, just great! CFYT is very interesting, hard to describe, just new and great. and, of course, One Step Closer, is great, Bono makes this album!

i really like one step closer... there cant be 11 or 12 fast paced songs on an album.. its a nice break and a nice little song :up:

I thinkwe need to grow up a little here a realize not every song needs to be an explosion of sound like "Miracle Drug" or "city of blinding lights".

for anyone that's ever lost a loved one, the message of this song is essential.
thanks you boys.

The lyrics on OSC kill the ones on GRACE. This song is really growing on me, this song would make the album incomplete if it wasnt on there. This whole song revolves around Bono's father death, this is like the pinnacle of it all.

This song is a deep and subtle one and a lot of people aren't going to realise it straight away. Some may never realise it. You can't listen to this one superficially; you need to let it wash over you and permit yourself the time to savour its rich texture. I compared it to a quality wine to my friend earlier - you need to explore its elements and savour its delicate flavour. (My father is a wine connossieur, so that explains why that comparison came to mind.)

One Step Closer is subtle and beautiful, even if it doesn't initially captivate you.

Last edited:
One Step Closer is the kind of song that The Edge and Bono will do guitar-and-vocals acoustic on the upcoming tour. It kind of reminds me of the cover of I Remember You on one of the many Elevation singles.

In other words, it's good. :wink:

His father.

Bono got the title from Liam Gallagher when they were talking outloud about Bono's father and where'd "it" would be that he's going when he passed. And Liam said, "Well, he's one step closer to knowing".

Original of the Species is about one of Edge's daughters....Bono is the Godfather to her.

This song has a lot of special meaning to me know...I just got asked to be the Godmother to my best friend of 9 years unborn child! I never knew it was possible to feel so much love towards someone I haven't even seen yet! This song is all I hope to be able to express to him/her.

Last edited:
I didn't like it first, but now I like it a lot. I feel it has his own space in the record... that a song like this is necessary...

... as necessary as Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World is to AB, or Trip Through Your Wires to JT...

Back
Top Bottom