MERGED-->NME Review + NME Likes U2 'Shocker' + Nme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks very much for typing that!

It is a well-thought-out review, and impressive to see NME so positive on a U2 album. However, I totally disagree with them on COBL not going anywhere :)

Don't like the digs at COBL and A Man and A Woman, but otherwise good.

I really don't see Love and Peace as being "camp and silly". I find it more "monsterous and beastly" (especially after a song like Sometimes...). I really, really love it.
I wonder how many times the writer listened to the album before writing the review? I think after it begins to set in with multiple listens he/she may be kicking him/herself over a few of these statements, or maybe just grinning sheepishly.
It's good to see the review ended in overall approval though...

A positive review from NME? this can't be happening. It's funny though, even calling them the new album "brilliant," they still managed to get in a whole bunch of shots in at Bono. Thanks for posting!

RademR said:
A positive review from NME? this can't be happening. It's funny though, even calling them the new album "brilliant," they still managed to get in a whole bunch of shots in at Bono. Thanks for posting!

I was thinking the same thing. They get to slap the band for being rock stars and love them for it at the same time. No complains here, I feel the same way some days.

:up:

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

Alan

Thanks for the scan jobs and typing the whole review.

I'm dying to listen to Fast Cars!

Thanks for typing that up (and for the scan). Gee, i guess some people CAN recognize great songs when they hear them, regardless of what they were "expecting" or what they were "hoping" for. Bring on Fast Cars...:drool:

Two thoughts:

I never thought I would see the day where NME would rate a U2 album higher than Hot Press.

Reading the review of the actual songs you would never have guessed that they would have given it a nine.

roy said:

Reading the review of the actual songs you would never have guessed that they would have given it a nine.

For Sure! But as I see it, the journalist figured he would get all the jabs in the article and let the music do the talking.

I like that he said he didn't like some of the the songs, wasn't really fond of Bono, but this album is fantastic anyway. it indicates to me that this album truly is a masterpiece.

What good is a review where they just gush all over it? That comes away as phoney for me. This guy is not a hard core fan, so that makes what he said more relevant for me.

Gotta be happy about that. Fantastic review.

Re: NME Review

Party Boy said:
but mainly because it sets up the next truly magnificent moment “Crumbs from your table”. It’s the albums centrepiece and people who don’t like U2 will hate it for the very same reasons that it stands out. Ostensibly a song about the Aids crisis, it’s impossible not to read a personal struggle into Bono’s casting of himself as an inferior son searching for acceptance.

Like I needed them to tell me this, when I have it on repeat and am totally in love with it... Everything about it works, the lyrics, music, and emotion. It has so much to offer. :heart:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom