MERGED--> Next Singles ?+A Single Plan+What do you think the next single will be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earnie Shavers

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A Single Plan

Just been reading some of the threads on how both 'Sometimes' and 'All Because Of You' are going on the charts. ABOY was always going to get decent airplay. Sometimes is a 'nice' song that a lot of people will love, and will get good enough airplay etc, but it's not a great radio song because of it's tempo and spirit, and that will hit sales.

Since the album was released I've been screaming the same thing. There are 2 songs on the album that can impact the market. One, with better production, sounds original, would sound great, would get excellent airplay and sell well - it would be a commercial success. The other is a fantastic track that would go a long, long way to getting U2 some credibility. Mix it with an outstanding clip and you don't necessarily have a massive seller, but certainly something that gets people talking and puts U2 back at the front of minds.

The first song is City of Blinding Lights (the production needs more work, but the structure is there) the second is Love And Peace.

I'm tellin' ya.... ABOY won't sell. Sometimes won't sell. Original of the Species sure as sh*t won't sell. That doesn't mean any of these are bad songs, they're all fantastic, but they won't sell.

Rumour has it that COBL will be the 25th anniversary single in May ...

Nice.

So they need to sharpen the guitar, harden the drumming (the bass is great), seperate the instruments further and come up with a great clip that doesn't look like a homage to U2.

Boom cha.....boom cha..........this ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around.... boom cha...!! :wink: :drool:

I've found that Love and Peace is the track I skip over the most frequently now.

I think the general public would get very bored of that song.

ZeroDude said:
COBL is crap compared to One Step Closer:wink:

COBL is crap compared to ANYTHING else heheheh! I hope it is the next single, they may do something with the goddamn awful mix.

random references to discotheque are popular amongst the young people nowadays today at college I placed a BOOMCHA at an ill placed time when my classmate was tring to take a photo of a building messed up the composition:wink:

In my opinion absolutly nothing U2 did these days would sell to an American audience in a big way but thats another arguement for another day.

They havent really ever been a single band but even less so now.

Mullen4Prez said:
Love and peace is the worst song on the album

Love and Peace Or Else is the BEST song on the album, no repetitive chorus to bore us with. Get your ears washed out man!

rjhbonovox said:

Love and Peace Or Else is the BEST song on the album, no repetitive chorus to bore us with. Get your ears washed out man!

Actually, listen to it. Bono REPEATS "Love and Peace" in the chorus. Besides, the entire song is one melodic phrase repeated over and over again following some cool compressed bass. Yes, the bass sounds good. However, the song is drab, slow, shitty , and quite boring.

That said, I still like listening to it once in a while. It's DEFINITELY not single worthy though.

FullonEdge2 said:

Actually, listen to it. Bono REPEATS "Love and Peace" in the chorus. Besides, the entire song is one melodic phrase repeated over and over again following some cool compressed bass. Yes, the bass sounds good. However, the song is drab, slow, shitty , and quite boring.

That said, I still like listening to it once in a while. It's DEFINITELY not single worthy though.

You are wrong. LAPOE is top 3 on the record. It will ROCK THE HOUSE live.

namkcuR said:

You are wrong. LAPOE is top 3 on the record. It will ROCK THE HOUSE live.

I'd love to hear them do this live.

As an album track, though, it's a little lacking.

And this might be upsetting, but it's very possible they won't play it live.

ok,let's settle this forever:

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE ROCKS

A MAN AND A WOMAN SUCKS (together with Grace, TTTYAATW,Redlight and Love Rescue Me)

I don't like COBL personally. Worst track on the album for me, although I don't think it's a bad song - it's just not to my taste.

Numbology said:
ok,let's settle this forever:

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE ROCKS

A MAN AND A WOMAN SUCKS (together with Grace, TTTYAATW,Redlight and Love Rescue Me)

Only Red Light could possibly be considered to suck. Grace is a fantastic song and so is AMAAW.

LAPOE rocks something fierce, I'm sure it will be played live (Bono will definitely want to do those lyrics) and it'll be incredible.

Re: A Single Plan

Earnie Shavers said:
Just been reading some of the threads on how both 'Sometimes' and 'All Because Of You' are going on the charts. ABOY was always going to get decent airplay. Sometimes is a 'nice' song that a lot of people will love, and will get good enough airplay etc, but it's not a great radio song because of it's tempo and spirit, and that will hit sales.

Since the album was released I've been screaming the same thing. There are 2 songs on the album that can impact the market. One, with better production, sounds original, would sound great, would get excellent airplay and sell well - it would be a commercial success. The other is a fantastic track that would go a long, long way to getting U2 some credibility. Mix it with an outstanding clip and you don't necessarily have a massive seller, but certainly something that gets people talking and puts U2 back at the front of minds.

The first song is City of Blinding Lights (the production needs more work, but the structure is there) the second is Love And Peace.

I'm tellin' ya.... ABOY won't sell. Sometimes won't sell. Original of the Species sure as sh*t won't sell. That doesn't mean any of these are bad songs, they're all fantastic, but they won't sell.

I gotta say, I pretty much agree with all that. Most of the songs on HTDAAB just don't have the right temperament to be hits here in America. They're all great songs, but they don't fit into a radio niche. Bottom line, U2's days of having whatever they released become a hit are over and actually have been over for a decade at least. For example, if Angel of Harlem were released today there's no freakin' way that it would make it to 13 on the American charts. The fact is the only way U2 can impact the singles charts is to conform to current niches and contrary to what many people around here think, they have not conformed to anywhere near that degree. U2 still does things their own way too much and that comes back to bite them in the ass when it comes to the singles charts.

Wow...no mention of MD as best candidate for kick-ass single off of the album? Perhaps a late-summer single...

[Oh and LAPOE rawks, though could've rawked more on the album...it will for sure live.]

I think SYCMIOYO will be a huge hit (Top 10), and even though COBL is kind of fuzzy, it could be an even bigger hit.

LAPOE is a great secondary U2 track, non-single sorta thingy. I think it has some serious balls.

Back
Top Bottom