MERGED--> Next Singles ?+A Single Plan+What do you think the next single will be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree! I also think MD could be that important single....Bring them on!!!!!

as much as I love COBl, didn't the boys hear the final cut in the studio and say "hey, don't the rest of u agree when I say this mix IS HORRIBLE???" Where is Edge's great guitar work, I have to put my ear to the damn speaker to hear it. The only thing that is right on is Adam's bass, which is great, but even Larry's drumming sounds so faint.

If they release it as a single, it could do well but they have to make a single version for it, and bring out the elements more that make it such a great tune.

Umm, if you read what I wrote, I wouldn't expect Love & Peace to sell well. Sales would not be the point of it at all. Music is not a sales contest. City of Blinding Lights with better production (it all sounds right, just mixed wrong) could be a decent seller. No song on the album will do as well as Vertigo. Original of the Species would sell f*ck all.

Far more important than sales is a bands direction, meaning and message. Who is regarded as better, as making more interesting music - Ashlee Simpson or Bjork? Now who releases better selling, more radio friendly singles? I'm sure the odd Train single sells a tonne and has a great, moving chorus, but the music is no good.

I think U2 should drop Love and Peace out there with an excellent video clip to accompany it. It is a killer song. Not a song from their past. No-one wants to hear that. Not a song that seems to be designed specificaly to be a 'big' song (Original). A song that will gain them a tonne of credibility. It would be a good place for them to take the image of the album.

As for City of Blinding Lights - that song has fantastic pace, a great tune, and with a better mix (particularly Edge's guitar part) and such a catchy chorus (the "All you look so beautiful tonight" is the kind of thing that gets stuck in your head for days) that thing would do very very well.

Sometimes, Miracle Drug & Original will get a lot of airplay up front because it's U2, but will leave no lasting impression. I know plenty of people in the music industry, from pop marketing experts to A&R guys to small indie record company owners to radio station people to music tv programmers, and have forced this album on all of my friends time and time again and the results are always the same. Sometimes is 'nice'. Vertigo 'rocks'. Original is 'forced'. Bono's vocals on Miracle Drug are 'crap'. LAPOE is generally the highlight and COBL is the one I hear them humming 3 days later.

Basically I think U2 need to take the album somewhere new. Drop another nice, almost too perfect 'single' sounding single out there and the album will sink. Put one of the more creative songs out there and it will pick up the pace again.

I think U2 is stuck with "Sometimes" next since it is beginning to chart on several formats anyway. However, I've been won over to LAPOE coming out. It won't sound like anything they've done, it will put U2 music on yet another radio format, but most importantly, U2 would gain respect for putting out something NO ONE would expect. I agree with those posts.

A physcadellic video is perfect, which would also be intriguing. COBL and M.D. can have their time later...Bono said they play to make the album last through "2 Christmases", so there is plenty of time. A cohesive release strategy is needed, that's all.

Next Singles ?

Vertigo, SYCMOY, ABOY......what's next?

My wishlist would be :
1.Love And Peace or Else
2.Miracle Drug

However both should be mixed...

Any opinions ?

Miracle Drug although I really do not care what it is I'm happy enough:wink:

and videos?
In my opinion:
Love And Peace or Else Ritchie Smyth
Miracle Drug Anton Corbijn
other songs:
COBL Kevin Godley
Original Of The Spicies Kevin Godley

"Original of the Species," then they should stop milking the album.

I don't see why people bitch about that line..does every lyric Bono comes up with have to drenched in agonising earnestness, or smirking irony?

Some U2 fans take themselves way too seriously sometimes.

Sleep Over Jack said:
I don't see why people bitch about that line..does every lyric Bono comes up with have to drenched in agonising earnestness, or smirking irony?

Morrissey can do it.
Why Bono shouldn't ?

Love and peace or else isn't a good idea. Why releasing 3 rock songs? Two is more than enough.

U2girl said:
Love and peace or else isn't a good idea. Why releasing 3 rock songs? Two is more than enough.

Couse it's all about Rock and Roll....people should change their mind about U2...too many think it's a band like Coldplay while it's a rock and roll band and it's time to show it selecting the right singles...

Marr said:

Boths songs are very good, I'd pick the heavier ones since the band have promised a rock and roll album.....

True, but we already got Vertigo and All because of you for the "harder/rock" fans, there is Sometimes for the "slow song" fans - now we need a crossover song with wide appeal (Original) and the anthemic song (City) - if they can edit it reasonably for the video. If not, Miracle Drug is my vote instead.

Marr said:

Morrissey can do it.
Why Bono shouldn't ?

I find Morrissey to be vastly overrated.

But apart from that, Bono has been known for both his sincere and ironic lyrics in the past, I don't see why he has to always write to those styles.

U2girl said:

True, but we already got Vertigo and All because of you for the "harder/rock" fans, there is Sometimes for the "slow song" fans - now we need a crossover song with wide appeal (Original) and the anthemic song (City) - if they can edit it reasonably for the video. If not, Miracle Drug is my vote instead.

That's why I've chosen LAPOE and MD...
LAPOE will show that U2 are a rock band, while MD could be something in-between, it's still a rock and roll tune...and Edge is singing there, they shoud show it on the video !

U2girl said:

I disagree, I think its a brilliant tune, and it would show another side to the album if they released it as a single.

As for me, the singles line-up would look like this:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Original Of The Species
Love And Peace Or Else

(if we don't get ABOY here in the UK, I'd very much like to see Miracle Drug as the next single)

He definitely has talent, but when I see The Smiths rated by some people as one of the greatest British bands, well I have to chuckle :D

DO YOU NOTICE that in all our sugestions for new singles are always 3-4 songs,that is phenomenal!!!!All it speaks that album is awesome!
Can anyone tell me if SYCMIOYO had premiere on MTV?I guess SYCMIOYO will be huge SONG<MASSIVE SONG AS EDGE SAID>!

Back
Top Bottom