Merged ----> new single will not be "Hands" + Why The New Single *CAN'T* Be 'THTBA'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
new single will not be "Hands"

I read a scattered transcript from that RTE interview and this jumped out at me.......

"There is a single coming out in September and there is also a song that goes with the Martin Scorsese
film The Gangs of New York."

he talks about it like two seperate things so we still don't know what the hell is going on! :mac:

Re: new single will not be "Hands"

Swan269 said:
I read a scattered transcript from that RTE interview and this jumped out at me.......

"There is a single coming out in September and there is also a song that goes with the Martin Scorsese
film The Gangs of New York."

he talks about it like two seperate things so we still don't know what the hell is going on! :mac:

We haven't known what the hell is going on with U2 for 20 plus years now until it actually comes out, so what's new?:tongue:

Chris

Last edited:
I hope "The Hands That Built America" Isn't on the Best-Of... that way there's more chance it gets lost in the shuffle. :p ... actually if it's gonna be on a best-of it should be the 2002-2077.2 one, not this one. so there!

But I'm glad the two songs appear to be different.

I think this is fantastic news bc I thought like many of us, that Hands would be the single. 2 new songs on the Best Of + Hands!!!! Made my day if it turns out to be true!

How in the world can you know if Hands is good or not based on a 30 second clip?? I thought Beautiful Day was questionable when I heard that clip, but it turned out to be great.

zoocarolina said:
How in the world can you know if Hands is good or not based on a 30 second clip?? I thought Beautiful Day was questionable when I heard that clip, but it turned out to be great.

Same here. Except I would have (and did) use slightly more colorful language to explain what I thought of Beautiful Day at the time. :) So I'm still eager to hear the entire song.

At the same time, whoa! A new single we haven't heard! Waaaaant nooooow...

Re: Re: new single will not be "Hands"

spanisheyes said:

We haven't known what the hell is going on with U2 for 20 plus years now until it actually comes out, so what's new?:tongue:

Chris

:yes: I was thinking the exact same thing, Chris. They tell us one thing, then ten minutes later it's something else!

It's always fun to speculate though, isn't it? :happy:

Re: *waits for flaming :p

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I hope the song gets lost in the shuffle. From what I heard, it's terrible. :slant:

God knows I love these guys, but every once in a great while there's a miss.

:| Personally, I absolutely LOVE what I've heard of that song so far...

I find it amusing in the extreme to see that some people are able to be so clairvoyant as to divine the nature and quality of an entire song that they have only heard a small, rough, unfinished sample of. Oh ye of little faith.

Well, honestly, when I first heard the sound clip, I hated it.

But now that I've listened more closely, I see great potential in this song.

And remember, that was U2 in the studio, BEFORE the song was mastered.

Re: *waits for flaming :p

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I hope the song gets lost in the shuffle. From what I heard, it's terrible. :slant:

God knows I love these guys, but every once in a great while there's a miss.

Yeah, for me it was "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"

BLECH!!
:no:

sulawesigirl4 said:
I find it amusing in the extreme to see that some people are able to be so clairvoyant as to divine the nature and quality of an entire song that they have only heard a small, rough, unfinished sample of. Oh ye of little faith.

I know..But I didn't like what i heard. It sounded like Enya or something :no: I don't have anything against the song. It's the sound I am disliking.

This thread is too long ... Oh look - a flower!

She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me not... :(

- The Zoocifer -

on KROQ's Music News yesterday on the way home from work Tammy Heidi said that HANDS is going to be the single that is released. I hope it's not true because....can anyone say The Ground Beneath Her Feet !

Regardless, New U2 is GOOD U2, although of course not as good as a completeley NEW U2 ALBUM.

Why The New Single *CAN'T* Be ' The Hands That Built America'

There's a small detail that we have all overlooked here: The Scorcese film, Gang's of New York (which Hands of America is for), isn't going to be released until *Christmas*. This means, of course, that the video promotion of it -- which I'm sure will include scenes from the movie or have a Gangs theme, regardless -- will not be run until around mid November, I'm guessing. If U2 release this song to radio at the end of September, surely they won't wait almost two whole months before releasing the accompanying video?

And to add further evidence, Bono has now insinuated in the RTE interview that the new single and the sountrack song are two seperate songs, which would go "hand in hand" (definitely no pun intended) with the line of reasoning above.

Anyone agree?

Yup, me. We have discussed the subject of the new single being or not being Hands that Built in local lists...I used the same argument as you Michael.

I have read conflicting reports about whether "Hands" will be on the soundtrack or not. Personally I would like to see a different song be a single. I actually don't think "Hands" will be a single anyway. It doesn't sound (from the 30 sec clip) like a song that would be a single. Of course I could be wrong and I've only heard 30 seconds of the song. But TGBHF was never a single or anything else on the M$H soundtrack. Plus, Bono was quoted as saying the stuff they were making in recent recording sessions was punk-like and lo-fi and that one of those songs could be on the Best Of. The 30 sec clip of "Hands" didn't sound ver lo-fi to me. Either way new U2 is good, but I'd like to see something else besides "Hands" be the single. I just don't have the feeling that it would do well. :eyebrow:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet?

The Hands that built America?

Anyone else see a trend here?

I think the next single will have a body part in the title...

No one else seems to have a clue what it will be, so why don't we all just accept my theory for now.....

Maybe it will be "The Hands Under Larry's Manboobs That built U2"

A Perfecto remix, of course, will be included on the CD single...which will, of course, be available in every known country in the world, EXCEPT the U.S......

Discuss amongst yourselves

Last edited:
I get the impression that the Single is Mystery Song X and that "Hands" is coming out later. I don't know, the song could come out before the movie, but don't you think the song would be on the "Best of" compilation? I don't think "Hands" is going to be on "Best of". I could be wrong.....hell, never try to predict this band. The one predictable thing about them is that they are unpredictable. :eeklaugh: :eeklaugh:

Achtung Bubba said:
Hands?

The Jewel song?

:question:

No, an abbreviated version of "Hands that Built America" or "The Hands that Built America"--there is some confusion going on over the inclusion of the article, the, which, incidentally we don't use as a first word at the library!! :laugh: :laugh:

oh this is oh so exciting!

my heart goes skips a beat every time a U2 song is released.
:D

I've only heard a clip of "Hands" but I thought it sounded absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if I'm absolutely going to love the song or whatever, because there's not a heck of alot you can tell from a little clip. I would call it "promising". We just may get a great song.....surprise, surprise.........LMAO!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom