MERGED ---> NEW album has been stolen... + Edge speaks... + Okay who.. + Stolen CD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(at first, I also thought that the mastertapes were stolen and that they'd have to re-record the album...whew)

Here's what orf.at (U2tour.de published it) says:

"In southwest France, Nice, police investigation about a likely theft of demos for the new album by Irish rock group U2 is underway. As the authorities say, we're talking about the album that was not to be on the market till after Summer. U2 now fears an early release of songs on the internet."

Yes, I guess this is probably going to make them release the album early - if they don't find the copies and whoever stole.

demos?? why would they carry around demos when they've finished the album? i thought the cds that got stolen were copies of the real shit. right?

ok wait up, has the cd of the DEMOS been stolen or the final cd which has been completed?? The album is all done so does that mean they have mastered it and finalized all the songs on cd? I know the tracklisting has not been completed but the final recordings should have been done which is possibly the cd that was stolen. So which one is it, the demo cd or the final thing?

If you think this was an accident, I have some beach property that I am interested in selling. :wink:

Hmm ... well, wasn't ATYCLB leaked to the Internet before the release? That didn't stuff up sales, so I don't see why this would either. Other bands have had albums leaked too and I haven't heard of them suffering.

I'm sure U2 are just fine. I don't believe this report just yet anyway. I'd like some more definite news.

Also, U2 would have a stack of recordings of what they've made. They're not stupid, so they won't have just one sole copy of their new finished material. CDs get scratched, hard drives crash, tapes fail. They'll have many copies.

Last edited:
Some more news: apparently the CD was gone during a photo session for the rock singer. However, the police does not exclude the possibilty of the songs being simply lost, and not stolen. Police in Marseille are handling it.

From what I understand, it is the real thing that is gone - the finished songs for the new album. (hence U2 fears leaking so much) U2log says "test pressing" or a demo of U2's new album.

Last edited:
EPandAmerica said:
If you think this was an accident, I have some beach property that I am interested in selling. :wink:

Maybe Bono was entrusted with keeping an eye on the disc. :)

BTW, here's U2log.com's take on the incident:

French newspaper Nice-Matin and ORF Austria report that police in Nice and Marseille are investigating the alleged theft of a test pressing or demo of U2?s new album. A police spokesman says they are not sure whether the recording was stolen or ?just got lost?. The demo went missing during a photo shoot at the Victorine film studios in Nice.

C ya!

Marty (hopes then for an Yankee Hotel Foxtrot effect)

haha. doesn't this feel familiar? bono losing lyrics back in the 80s...losing his laptop in the 90s...

no worries. they will have back-ups. still. lmao. :lol:

:|

it's all too much to take..........

the drama behind this album has been like having a 2 and 1/2 year heart attack.

Last edited:
JOFO said:
:|

it's all too much to take..........

the drama behind this album has been like having a 2 and 1/2 year heart attack.

Same here...:crazy:
need tranquilizers:hyper:
...(or album :) )

GO ALBUM GO !!!

I think this is terrible news and very much disrespectful to U2. I can guarantee that I will not be downloading the tracks if they hit the net. NO WAY. Sometimes there is the easy thing to do and then the right thing to do. There is a big difference between a week-before release date leak and an outright theft three to four months out of a highly anticipated album from the world's biggest band.

Also, the comment about karma is disturbing. I see "karma" being listed to justify all sorts of atrocities in the world today. Sorry, although karma is very real to the psyche, grace is the language of Spirit and completely and totally transcends karma.

I feel so bad for the band. Not only will it almost certainly have a negative impact on the album, it will throw a big monkey-wrench into the business side of things at a time when we are finally making real progress on releasing the album.

I will be downloading the new songs the SECOND they come onto the net. I really dont want the album to be leaked, I REALLY REALLY DONT as this could fuck up U2's whole plan. But why the hell not download them? Your going to buy the album no matter what. I'll just buy a $30 album for the dam cover.
What I'm trying to say is that making an ethical standpoint on the issue is absolutely futile. If you know that you're going to buy the album, there's NO harm in downloading the songs early. It's just if you download the songs and you do not purchase the album as a result of already having the songs, that you ARE doing harm to U2 which is BAD (BAD DOG...NO! SIT!).
You won't be setting an example by not downloading them, you'll just be testing your self-discipline, which is a reason in itself I guess (god knows I need some, but thats another topic).
So unless you are testing your self discipline for a non-related reason, there is no reason as to why you all shouldn't download the songs because christ knows you'll get the official album the day it comes out.

I will just await an official statement
because this seems like sources quoting one and the same source
so if that first source is a flawed source there's no story at all

:D

I have trouble to believe that a group of this magnitude would be so careless
but who knows

http://www.zooitalia.com/news.htm

They are reporting that they the new songs are downloadable from EMULE (a file sharing-program like KaZza).
They possibly could be bogus. Here is what I translated from the news source.

newspaper "Nice Matin" filler this today the news second which in the day of Tuesday a theft to the damages of the U2 would have happened and that they would have been embezzled the demo of the new disc. It seems in fact that during a photographic session happened near the house of Bono to Nice someone it has been useful for the confusion and it has embezzled demo with all the songs. The French police would have begun a search to carpet in order to avoid the spread of the new disc of the band. To following link you can unload in version pdf the first page of the daily paper that filler the news. Also some French radios have brought back of the happened one. Here instead found the transcription of the article. We remember to you that already in the 1990 they were stolen the session of recording of Achtung baby, but in that case was be a matter of session and not of definitive songs. To this point, if the news came confirmed, we do not know just what could happen to the production of the new album that by now turned out finished. 12.40 LAST MODERNIZATION:
it seems that some pieces are already available on Internet through programs type emule, etc we do not know but of the genuinit? of pieces, much probable one that features of fake bogus.

Well, the reason I will not download them is that I can not enjoy the spoils of a totally shameful act. A moment that no doubt has upset the band, because apparently it looks to have been an inside-job. This is the absolute LAST thing the band needed or wants right now, and I think patience and respect are good virtues to have especially in the face of temptation.

Then again, maybe it's only been lost - which only adds uncertainty to the equation. Still, downloading the songs in my mind this early out, and under the circumstances in which they may be leaked to begin with will only add to the problem. How can we participate, but be absolved of the consequnces of doing so? Because we are "truer" fans, and deserve the right to listen to it early? If we share the tracks we will be part of the problem, if we download we will be part of the problem. If Bono came out and said please don't download the songs, would we anyways? Because we are all going to buy the album anyway? I'm not convinced this is the only ethical question presented here.

Ok so elfyx, you are saying that you will not download the songs because you cannot enjoy the spoils of a shameful act. Its purely your own opinion on this issue. In my eyes, I could enjoy the leak just as much as I would have the real album as I tend to discard ethics in this case, unless you download the songs and do NOT buy the album which is ethically\morally wrong, and I would agree with you of course.
If you just download the songs without sharing to other people who will not buy the album, this is okay in my opinion. U2 loses NOTHING. You end up with a early present. It is not stealing because you are still paying for the album and is therefore ethically correct IMO.

Last edited:
I think it's a stunt. Why make all this stink if it may only be lost. 1 CDR is missing. Now we're talking about is, as is NME, and I'm sure Rolling Stone will have a story soon as well. Wouldn't it be better to keep it quiet, even if it was stolen? Now people will be looking on p2p services for it. If they just covered it up, we'd never know about it.

Aussie, I apologize to you; I don't mean to come off as judgemental. I guess I'm just upset at the news, as I fear it would do more harm than good for them.

I trust that everybody will follow their own conscience which is the way it should be anyways. Lord knows there are plenty of moments when other people have judged my acts negatively but I felt perfectly fine with them!

Peace and love always the answer.

elfyx:hug:

Back
Top Bottom