MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are definitely overreacting I'm with Headache on this one if you don't like it don't buy it

It's probably the last thing we want for U2 to release but we are still getting a new song that's all I care

Shaliz said:
I guess it hasn't occurred to too many people here that this release is likely not aimed at the hardcore fans. It could be that U2 is still interested in attracting new fans, who just might be interested in starting off with a "definitive" best of to see whether they like enough songs to make purchasing the back catalogue worthwhile. :shrug: I've gotten interested in plenty of artists by starting off with a best of cd. Just a thought.....

And I guess it hasn't occured to you that they've done this already...twice!

Would u2 still have as much control if they had not agreed the best of contracts? I don't know! It would be interesting to know.
They sure as hell don't need the money on a personal level that's
for sure.

I think this will be the first time that I download the new track. I am not going to buy an album with greatest-hits songs that are already on another greatest hits album for only one new song...I fit's not legal I will download it illegal...i don't care.

I'm definitely now of the mind that this isn't such a big deal. I think what struck me at first is that I tend to associate GH albums with old and grey bands with nothing but tumbleweed in their futures. We all knew that there were 3 Best Of albums in the contract, but for some reason the notion that one would be a 2000-2010 album became so prevalent. Now, looking back through various things, the contract actually specified one GH 1980-1990, one GH 1990-2000, and one overall GH. So, this "definitive" Best of--no matter how lame it may seem--was destined to come.

Also, since I'll probably download the song somewhere and not buy the whole album, it ain't so bad:

- If new material came as a single, I wouldn't buy it----singles are so hard to buy here in the States

- If new material came in the form of an EP, it might seem great, but I'd rather have a whole album.

So, even though there's definitely an initial sting with this news, knowing that I'll get the song somehow & that a full album is somewhere around the corner.....it's not so bad. :shrug:

Well, I know I'm buying it. I honestly don't care if they're releasing 16 songs we already know by heart- there's a new song in there! THAT's gonna be their "gift" for us fans... if you're not satisfied, well, you don't have to buy it - or you can download the new song after it comes out... I don't care.

That said, here are some predictions:

- The Best Of album is tied to the U2 by U2 book. The front cover will probably be similar (or identical to) the book cover.

- Like the two previous Best Of albums (and HTDAAB), it will be released in a limited edition with a bonus disc. I'm guessing it will be a DVD (no idea about the content, though).

- The tracklisting will be in chronological order.

- The new song will NOT be released as a single. It will have a video, though.

- The new song will be "Thank You For The Day". It will close the album.

- There will be at least one track from each album (not including stuff like UABRS or WAIA).

I tried to come up with a tracklisting before I checked this thread, and I'm quite surprised that it's very similar to the the ones already posted here. Ok, maybe not that surprised...

1 - I Will Follow
2 - Gloria
3 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
4 - New Year's day
5 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
6 - Where The Streets Have No Name
7 - I Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For
8 - With Or Without You
9 - Angel Of Harlem
10 - One
11 - Mysterious Ways
12 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
13 - Miss sarajevo
14 - Discothèque
15 - Beautiful Day
16 - Vertigo
17 - The Saints Are Coming
18 - Thank You For The Day

kristbg said:
Well, I know I'm buying it. I honestly don't care if they're releasing 16 songs we already know by heart- there's a new song in there! THAT's gonna be their "gift" for us fans... if you're not satisfied, well, you don't have to buy it - or you can download the new song after it comes out... I don't care.

That said, here are some predictions:

- The Best Of album is tied to the U2 by U2 book. The front cover will probably be similar (or identical to) the book cover.

I'm thinking along those lines, too...

- Like the two previous Best Of albums (and HTDAAB), it will be released in a limited edition with a bonus disc. I'm guessing it will be a DVD (no idea about the content, though).

This would be awesome.....and would probably convince me to buy it

- The new song will be "Thank You For The Day". It will close the album.

I'd rather have 404/All My Life---I think it's a much better song. But in a way, I hope you're right......I'm not as fond of 403/Thank You For The Day as the other Beach Clips, and I think I'd actually prefer 404/All My Life on a full-fledged album...:hmm:

phillyfan26 said:

And I guess it hasn't occured to you that they've done this already...twice!

Okay, point conceded. I can still see the value to the casual fan, though, who might want an overview of what they've done so far, but don't want to buy 2 cds to do it. I agree with some of the other people on here that this is likely tied into the U2 by U2 book anyway. I guess I just don't get the level of fury people are expressing here. It seems like people are immediately putting this in the worst possible light.

Utoo said:

I'd rather have 404/All My Life---I think it's a much better song. But in a way, I hope you're right......I'm not as fond of 403/Thank You For The Day as the other Beach Clips, and I think I'd actually prefer 404/All My Life on a full-fledged album...:hmm:

same here.

Shaliz said:

Okay, point conceded. I can still see the value to the casual fan, though, who might want an overview of what they've done so far, but don't want to buy 2 cds to do it. I agree with some of the other people on here that this is likely tied into the U2 by U2 book anyway. I guess I just don't get the level of fury people are expressing here. It seems like people are immediately putting this in the worst possible light.

People are worried about a delay on the album and tour, frustrated that they could have made a better release.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i give up.

I'm with you.

This is all useless.

OF COURSE THIS IS A BAD IDEA! WE GET IT ALREADY!

Still, who's sticking a gun to your head? What's wrong with this move? Plenty, actually, but since it hardly effects your lives, what do you care? :shrug: We get a f**** new U2 song! That's great! But it's not good enough for any of you. For shame. :tsk:

phillyfan26 said:

People are worried about a delay on the album and tour, frustrated that they could have made a better release.

That's the only con here that's even remotely important.

LemonMelon said:

Plenty, actually, but since it hardly effects your lives, what do you care?

Hold on just a minute. Just because we post about it on an Internet forum doesn't mean we think it effects our lives. That's a truly misguided statement you made. I care just enough to post a little frustration on a message board MADE FOR THAT TYPE OF DISCUSSION. Currently, I'm more focused on my local tragedy of the Amish School Shooting. Posting here about this thing doesn't show where my priorities in life are.

phillyfan26 said:

why does anyone actually believe this?

if anything, it should give hope to a new album... that u2 are happy enough with a track that they recorded in mid september that they're willing to give it a proper release a mere 2 months later.

shit... it's not like they're gonna be recording straight through the end of the year anyway... they gotta go to australia/new zealand/japan/hawaii soon, then take off for the holidays, then probably reconvine in january... and the speed at which this single is coming out actually gives me hope for the speed of the new album with rubin.

why does anyone actually believe this?

if anything, it should give hope to a new album... that u2 are happy enough with a track that they recorded in mid september that they're willing to give it a proper release a mere 2 months later.

shit... it's not like they're gonna be recording straight through the end of the year anyway... they gotta go to australia/new zealand/japan/hawaii soon, then take off for the holidays, then probably reconvine in january... and the speed at which this single is coming out actually gives me hope for the speed of the new album with rubin.

That's true, but what if they feel they have released something this year that is worthwhile, and we can do another 2 years without anything (see 90-00/Electrical Storm to HTDAAB).

if they're not happy with their work they're not gonna release it regardless of wether or not they put this hits album out or not.

if they're happy with it, they'll release it.

it's very simple

I hope so.

phillyfan26 said:

Hold on just a minute. Just because we post about it on an Internet forum doesn't mean we think it effects our lives. That's a truly misguided statement you made. I care just enough to post a little frustration on a message board MADE FOR THAT TYPE OF DISCUSSION. Currently, I'm more focused on my local tragedy of the Amish School Shooting. Posting here about this thing doesn't show where my priorities in life are.

Oh, it shouldn't effect your lives, but in a roundabout way, many of you find a way to make it so. Look how many people got so pissed and bent out of shape over this. Do you think getting angry over something is a passive response?

If it raises your blood pressure and puts stress on your body, it's effecting your life.

If it puts you in a bad mood, it's effecting your life.

You of all people would know that sports effect your life. People watch football (either side of the pond), baseball, hockey, basketball, and they spend hours watching it, and they get upset or happy or any other emotion, and do you not think that's important to their lives? Sure it is. And people get just as emotional over U2...

But come on folks, most of you aren't even going to buy this anyway. If anything, you should be very happy! U2 are really recording, and we get to hear the fruits of it in 6 weeks or so. :drool:

ponkine said:

Are you being serious or what? :eyebrow:

How come you feel satisfied with a 16 track compilation featuring the same songs already released on 2 Best ofs? :madspit:

That move (releasing a third Best of from the 2 previous Best ofs) is pathetic, annoying, disposable and unforgivable to say the least :mad:

U2 aren't one hit single corporate crap, and they aren't kiss or Scorpions either. That kind of bands have more "Greatest Hits" and "Best Ofs" than studio albums, and every "New" Greatest Hits is actually another poorly represented compilation, sometimes with just 1 or 2 tracks different than the previous ones. How come someone will be happy with U2 doing that !!!

If they want to make another Best of as a stupid excuse for a new single, why don't they release just the single alone instead? :( Why they want to make even more money from the fans?. Is not enough all the billion dollars they have?

Why do they take us for granted?

ANY compilation based on what is already released on Best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 is just selling out :down:

What will be next? The New Best Of on Tour? :yell:

you do realize that U2 makes their marketing decisions based on their fanbase as a WHOLE, right? believe it or not, they don't ONLY try to please the diehards. if they did, they wouldn't be as successful as they are today.

some of you people here are way over heads.

Huge disappointment for me. Never thought they would release another one. Not at this point. I can only imagine what the critics will say.

I think this is a bad move, and that they're looking like they don't have anything more in them, and just try to milk the last they have. Two new songs. Well, good, but really - whatever.

I thought they were in the studio to record a new album. But now I see what they were doing. They were making two new songs (and GD collaboration) to help sell the new Best Of. U2 have been quite disappointing lately - for me.

I see that people say "who cares", and that people overreact. Maybe that is true, but I just can't help it. I don't like this. Of course I don't have to buy the CD, as some have pointed out, but still I can have my opinion about this. I have no interest in buyin two new songs for the prize of a whole CD. That is what U2 want me to do, but I won't.

U2 will not anymore (for music listeners in general) be the band who are up-to-date and moving forward after 30 years. They will look like just another long-living band who settle for their previous work and look back and desperately trying to recreate.

But I still love them.

They could have done lots of compilations that would have been great. Best of Live. Best of unreleased. Best of the rest. A Singles compilation. But this very dissapointing.:yawn:

LemonMelon said:

Oh, it shouldn't effect your lives, but in a roundabout way, many of you find a way to make it so. Look how many people got so pissed and bent out of shape over this. Do you think getting angry over something is a passive response?

If it raises your blood pressure and puts stress on your body, it's effecting your life.

If it puts you in a bad mood, it's effecting your life.

You of all people would know that sports effect your life. People watch football (either side of the pond), baseball, hockey, basketball, and they spend hours watching it, and they get upset or happy or any other emotion, and do you not think that's important to their lives? Sure it is. And people get just as emotional over U2...

But come on folks, most of you aren't even going to buy this anyway. If anything, you should be very happy!

I really don't care that much about it. I didn't react physically. I don't feel actual emotion while on Interference. I feel sad right now because of what's going on in Lancaster. I have family in Lancaster, and it's a little too close to home for me.

I invest a lot into sports, very little into U2. These posts do make it seem like it's all I care about, but IT'S A U2 FORUM! I'm posting my thoughts specifically on U2. If this was a life forum, I can tell you I would not even post about the U2 thing, because it means so little to me. I might get it at Christmas. Big deal. That's it.

I'm not feeling stress, I'm not in a bad mood because of this. Please don't assume you know me. Don't group me in with other people. They may care more or less than I do. I really don't. I'm currently on the computer while waiting for a friend to come pick me up, which is the only reason I've been posting a lot.

Remember the context in which I appear "pissed and bent out of shape."

I know exactly how stress can take a toll on me, and I admit it happens too often with watching Philly sports (can you blame me?). Not with this though. You're assumption is nothing more than a logical falicy: I'm angry and frustrated on the Internet, as far as you know nothing else is going on in my life, thus whatever I post here must be my feelings right now. Doesn't work.

LemonMelon said:

I'm with you.

This is all useless.

OF COURSE THIS IS A BAD IDEA! WE GET IT ALREADY!

Still, who's sticking a gun to your head? What's wrong with this move? Plenty, actually, but since it hardly effects your lives, what do you care? :shrug: We get a f**** new U2 song! That's great! But it's not good enough for any of you. For shame. :tsk:

it's the kind of attitude that you're describing that pisses me off too. even though i own every U2 album and single, and have hundreds of bootlegs, etc, i don't fee that i am any more important than the 14 year old kid who just bought his first U2 album. i'm glad i didn't let my U2 fanatisicm ruin my U2 experience like many people here seem to have done.

Honestly, if one of the songs from the Beach Clips is going to be the "new song" it will probably be 404/"All My Life." It seems to be the strongest single out of the group.

Or Mercy. :wink:

ElectricalVoice said:
Huge disappointment for me. Never thought they would release another one. Not at this point. I can only imagine what the critics will say.

Oh. I am. Scared...of the critics. Help. Me. :|

I think this is a bad move, and that they're looking like they don't have anything more in them, and just try to milk the last they have. Two new songs. Well, good, but really - whatever.

Two new songs is pretty average for a GH compilation, I daresay.

I thought they were in the studio to record a new album. But now I see what they were doing. They were making two new songs (and GD collaboration) to help sell the new Best Of. U2 have been quite disappointing lately - for me.

So...you think they recorded 4 songs for a GH and only used one? Hmm...good old :|.

I see that people say "who cares", and that people overreact. Maybe that is true, but I just can't help it. I don't like this. Of course I don't have to buy the CD, as some have pointed out, but still I can have my opinion about this. I have no interest in buyin two new songs for the prize of a whole CD. That is what U2 want me to do, but I won't.

I don't like it either, but that's life. If you don't want to buy it, just download the freaking songs. You will anyway.

U2 will not anymore (for music listeners in general) be the band who are up-to-date and moving forward after 30 years. They will look like just another long-living band who settle for their previous work and look back and desperately trying to recreate.

........................................:laugh:

But I still love them.

Me too. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom