MERGED-->Neon Lights - U2 @ u2log.com 1 minute clip! + where can i get neon lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
imo it would fit better on another single
where the A-side is also a bit slower...

Last edited:
I speak spanish, but they don't mention anything about how they got it, they just casually refer to a cover of Kraftwerk's Neon Lights being included...

The news bit at Eastlink does not say how they got it. It says the same info well know about the new single.

Thanks edgevox. I'm just thinking if they got the b side maybe they will be the first site to get vertigo? We should all keep an eye on u2 eastlink??

brownda

U2log had a clip of this song a year ago, that's where I got it.

I'm not sure how they got it or whatever. My guess is that this is a remnant of the post Elevation tour sessions which produced Electrical Storm and Hands that Built America.

guys this is the full version of the clip that was released ages ago. This is not new U2, it's old. It's proabably just another mix of the 1 min version, Bono's voice sounds exactly the same, it can't be new u2.

The question is not if this is old or new. The question is: where did they get it? And to me this is new, cause it's the first time I can hear the FULL version.

I would think that this will be version on the single. It would hard to think that they didn't quite get it right with this version and then re-recorded it. Sounds good enough for a b-side to me. Nice to have the full recording.

Who knows what the finalized version of the cover actually will sound like, it could be completely different than this.

I for one think it's VERY cool that U2 (or any rock band) would cover a song by Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk are considered by many people to be one of the most important (if not THE most important) artists ever when it comes to electronic music. They really paved the way for virtually anything.

Here's a little blurb from their bio on www.allmusic.com :

"During the mid-'70s, Germany's Kraftwerk established the sonic blueprint followed by an extraordinary number of artists in the decades to come. From the British New Romantic movement to hip-hop to techno, the group's self-described "robot pop" — hypnotically minimal, obliquely rhythmic music performed solely via electronic means — resonates in virtually every new development to impact the contemporary pop scene of the late 20th century, and as pioneers of the electronic music form, their enduring influence cannot be overstated."

Anyways, I just find it very awesome that U2 would try to cover one of their songs. I'm very interested in hearing what the finalized version will be like.

Last edited:
This mix may just well be what'll be on the b-side to Vertigo, I'm hoping not, it'd be nice to hear a different approach to the song from this mix, maybe to fit the tone of Vertigo? maybe the 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever' b-side will be a bit more up beat.

It is a little bit bland, although there are some nice touches in it, the interference at the start, Adams bass is pretty nice and Bono is singing very well on it. Still, it's only a b-side ain't it.

Last edited:
I must say, Adam's bass is excellent in this song and it does have a very nice melody, but it sure aint Vertigo B-side material, I would much have prefered something very hard and rock n roll, (some of the experimental stuff with heavy guitars and drums etc. that didn't make the cut).

AussieU2fanman said:
I must say, Adam's bass is excellent in this song and it does have a very nice melody, but it sure aint Vertigo B-side material, I would much have prefered something very hard and rock n roll, (some of the experimental stuff with heavy guitars and drums etc. that didn't make the cut).

Right on!

Good stuff – the piano and theme of city lights I think could go well with the duet between Bono and Milla > Satellite Of Love (Danny Saber version [with drums by Larry Mullen]) from the MDH Soundtrack. And I think these go well with other MDH tracks > Stateless and Never Let Go.

Thinking about these 4 songs – how about a very late night album with U2. I would add Your Blue Room and Slug from Passengers. If You Wear That Velvet Dress from Pop. Others?

A VERY LATE NIGHT WITH U2

1. Stateless
2. Neon Lights
3. Satellite Of Love (Edit Danny Saber version – Milla’s 15 sec. of screeching taken out)
4. Slug
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Your Blue Room
7. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
8. Promenade
9. Never Let Me Go (Edit – first 30 sec. of narration taken out)
10. Hallelujah - Bono
11. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam 96 version)

U2DMfan said:
Bono's voice just seems broken anymore.

I hope the new album gives him better takes.

Bono's voice does seem to "break" a lot on this song, suggesting to me that it was very intentional. Usually a break is not intentional and definitely wouldn't stay on the final recording (they'd keep recording it over until he hit the note full). This reminds me of "One" or "In a Little While" where he purposely sang in this manner. I guess he likes this soft, breaking voice he has on certain songs.

The song doesn't do a lot for me, but it's a b-side and it's new. It's all good.

Well, after 10 listens last night cranked really loud, I have come to like this track even more. Very sweet late night music. I think I'll make a new u2 late night mix too.

I also think that if the other B-side is titled "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" that it will be more of an upbeat rocker. Some people think it might be ballad-like. I think that may be the case if it were titled "Are You Going To Wait Forever." To me, the word "Gonna" implies something less formal, more hurried. Does that even make any sense to others? I know we'll never really know until it comes out, but I have a hard time seeing the word "Gonna" in a song title for a ballad.

Thought of 3 more for you Roland.

1. Stateless
2. Neon Lights
3. Satellite Of Love (Edit Danny Saber version – Milla’s 15 sec. of screeching taken out)
4. Slug
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Your Blue Room
8. Promenade
9. Slow Dancing (Bono & Edge acoustic version – Stay single B-Side)
10. Never Let Me Go (Edit – first 30 sec. of narration taken out)
11. Hallelujah (Bono)
12. Conversation On Bar Stool (Written By Bono & Edge)
13. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
14. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam 96 version)

U2Soar said:
Thought of 3 more for you Roland.

1. Stateless
2. Neon Lights
4. Slug
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Your Blue Room
8. Promenade
11. Hallelujah (Bono)
12. Conversation On Bar Stool (Written By Bono & Edge)
13. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
14. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam 96 version)

Thats really cool U2Soar!

Mine -

1. Neon Lights
2. Stateless
3. Never Let Me Go
4. Miss Sarajevo
5. Stay (live acoustic)
6. If You Wear That...
7. Scarlet
8. Your Blue Room
9. Deep in the Heart
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Love is Blindness (Live B-side of Stay)
12. MLK

Thanks Roland! You have a cool track list too. Before I read your post I thought of adding Stay too – only the Armstrong string version. The live acoustic version is an excellent choice too. Scarlet is a special favourite of mine. I’ve believed for a long time that the day U2 retire Scarlet ought to be the final song that they perform. I can see Love Is Blindness having a place in a late night mood and atmosphere collection. In this new incarnation I’ve added Falling At Your Feet and When The Stars Blue to brighten up the mood of a pretty well dark collection! Are they too bright?

DISC 1

1. Stateless
2. Neon Lights
4. Slug
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Your Blue Room
8. Promenade
11. Grace

DISC 2

12. Falling At Feet (Bono Edge Lanois October 2003) (3:42)
13. When The Stars Go Blue (Bono & The Corrs)
14. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland version)
15. Hallelujah (Bono)
16. Save The Children (Bono & Marvin Gaye)
17. Love Is Blindness (Cassandra Wilson – Bono originally wrote the song for the jazz singer Nina Simone)
18. Conversation On Bar Stool (Written By Bono & Edge)
19. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
20. Stay (Craig Armstrong version)
21. Walk To The Water
22. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam 96 version)

Last edited:
Hi Roland – I like your idea of opening with Neon Lights. I’m thinking that Falling At Your Feet and When The Stars Blue are too bright? So I’ve taken them out and added some others. As it is now I have burnt or listened to this collection / track order but I hope to do so soon. Some songs I may drop and some I may change their location. Regardless I believe it’s an interesting project revealing a unique side of U2. A collection of songs that are not really in the “rock” or “pop” genre but rather a group of songs that are quite slow / quiet / (mostly) dark and which apply / create a mood and a setting that’s very late at night. I think of the film Lost In Translation. I can picture Bob Harris sitting in that 50th floor cocktail lounge above the city of Tokyo after 2 AM. Just a few lonely souls are left in the bar. Those who can’t sleep and who drink to numb the pain. It’s raining outside and inside their hearts. They sit there - thinking back on a broken relationship.

DISC 1

1. Neon Lights
2. Satellite of Love (Edit Danny Saber version – Milla’s 19 sec. of screeching at 3:22 taken out)
3. Slug
4. Love Comes Tumbling
5. Stateless
6. Wake Up Dead Man
7. Your Blue Room
8. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
9. Promenade
10. Slow Dancing (Bono & Edge acoustic version – Stay single B-Side)
11. Never Let Me Go (Edit – first 30 sec. of narration taken out)
12. Grace
13. Please

DISC 2

14. If God Will Send His Angels
15. Beach Sequence (U2 / Passengers)
16. North And South Of The River (Omagh Tribute 1998)
17. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland version)
18. Hallelujah (Bono)
19. Save The Children (Bono & Marvin Gaye)
20. Love Is Blindness (Cassandra Wilson – Bono originally wrote the song for the jazz singer Nina Simone)
21. Conversation On Bar Stool (Written By Bono & Edge)
22. That’s Life (Bono)
23. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
24. Stay (Craig Armstrong version)
25. Walk To The Water
26. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam 96 version)

My setlist:

SIDE 1 (album's cut)
01) October
02) Drowning Man
03) 40
04) Promenade
05) MLK
06) Red Hill Mining Town
07) Van Diemen's Land
08) Heartland
09) All I Want Is You
10) So Cruel
11) One
12) Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World
13) Babyface
14) Stay
15) The First Time
16) If God Will Send Hos Angels
17) If You Wear That Velvet Dress
18) Kite
19) In A Little While

SIDE 2 (other)
01) Can't Help Falling In Love (Honeymoon In Vegas)
02) Save The Children (Bono & M. Gaye)
03) Slow Dancing (IGWSHA B-side)
04) Never Let Me Go (Million Dollar Hotel)
05) Stateless (MDH)
06) Falling At You Feet (MDH)
07) In A Lifetime (Bono & Clanad)
08) Your Blue Room (SATS B-Side)
09) North And South Of The River (Omagh Tribute)
10) Love Comes Tumbling
11) Walk To The Water
12) Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad (IGWSHA B-Side)
13) Miss Saravejo (live from Modena)
14) Sattelite Of Love (live Zoo TV)
15) Unchained Melody
16) Take Today (Salome Outtakes)
17) Neon Lights
18) Beach Sequence
19) Deep In The Heart

Please, send me Neon Lights for my e-mail:
fsbreis@yahoo.com.br

Thanks very much....

u2popmofo said:
Who knows what the finalized version of the cover actually will sound like, it could be completely different than this.

I for one think it's VERY cool that U2 (or any rock band) would cover a song by Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk are considered by many people to be one of the most important (if not THE most important) artists ever when it comes to electronic music. They really paved the way for virtually anything.

Here's a little blurb from their bio on www.allmusic.com :

"During the mid-'70s, Germany's Kraftwerk established the sonic blueprint followed by an extraordinary number of artists in the decades to come. From the British New Romantic movement to hip-hop to techno, the group's self-described "robot pop" — hypnotically minimal, obliquely rhythmic music performed solely via electronic means — resonates in virtually every new development to impact the contemporary pop scene of the late 20th century, and as pioneers of the electronic music form, their enduring influence cannot be overstated."

Anyways, I just find it very awesome that U2 would try to cover one of their songs. I'm very interested in hearing what the finalized version will be like.

Thank you. I couldn't agree more. If I never heard another "rock" song in my life, I could die a happy woman. This sort of thing is where it's at. :up:

Back
Top Bottom