MERGED ----> My U2 iPod is on its way!!!+ my U2 iPod on its way+My ipod.. + U2 iPod..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Bee said:
By system requirements she means that she doesn't have Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later or Windows 2000/Windows XP, Bono. :p

:crazy: I'm going to upgrade to OS X this weekend.....I'm so not looking forward to it. :sad:

Ok guys. We gotta talk cases :wink:
My Ipod seems to already have a few little tiny scratches even tho I have been sooo careful and guarding it with my life :(
Sooooo I went to Best Buy, Circuit City and Apple Store and the cases are just horrible. It just takes all the beauty away from it.
So again, does anyone have advice on a nice, sleek case that isnt horribly bulky/ugly?

U2SJ said:

Ive been playing with my Ipod A LOT and so far no recharging! :D

Actually it is a good idea to let the battery run completley out bout once a month or so and then totally recharge it. This is called conditioning and it will actually help the battery hold its charges longer in between!

And yea, every case does seem to just uglify the gorgeous iPod. But....we can't have scratches can we?

Agree on the cases. I like the neoprene material (Action Jacket from Best Buy) just because it seems durable. You can almost drop it from a second-story building and it'll be unscatched. I'll probably sacrifice back exposure just to keep it all in tact and scratch free.

Stars, on another thread you said you found Live Aid at Micro Center. Are you positive? I went there and they didn't have it, not even through their database search. :)

U2SJ said:
Ok guys. We gotta talk cases :wink:
My Ipod seems to already have a few little tiny scratches even tho I have been sooo careful and guarding it with my life :(
Sooooo I went to Best Buy, Circuit City and Apple Store and the cases are just horrible. It just takes all the beauty away from it.
So again, does anyone have advice on a nice, sleek case that isnt horribly bulky/ugly?

Agree on the cases so far. I checked Apple's iPod store online and some *appear* to be transluscent but I can't be sure since it doensn't say. Are these the same as they had at Apple Store (that was my next stop)?

starsgoblue said:
It wasn't this Stars..... The only thing I said I found at Micro Center was a USB card. :scratch:

Ahh, you're right (of course!). I had to follow the quote that you quoted and it was indeed for the USB. I thought you got Live Aid from Micro Center for $14! That's cool, thanks for clarifying. :)

They hardly had any cases at my Apple store. They probably had 3 different ones and they were all horrendous looking.
I was thinking maybe in those kiosks in the mall ya know where they sell cell phone covers, maybe they have Ipod covers too.
Anyways, Im gonna go hunt 2 malls tomorrow for something more attractive.
They really should have made a specific case for the U2pod!!!

They look like scratches to me. :sad: Tomorrow Im gonna bring it into an Apple store and show them. I have been so careful I just dont get it. And right between the O and the D in IPOD there is this weird looking spot :huh:
Thanks tho, Im gonna get one of those cleaning kits asap.

starsgoblue said:
Try using the USB outlet that you have now and see if it works. Nothing will happen if it doesn't...

I went out and bought a USB 2.0 card because my dad swore I didn't have it and I wrestled with the damn thing forever to get it in....and my old USB outlet works I've discovered. :| I hope I can get my money back

stars, i am going to try that as i didn't get to the store today to get the usb 2.0 card, but i visited the ipod faq in the ipod lounge and it said using a lower usb could cause overheating and damaage the ipod itself. since you tested it, did it get hot?

i'd hate it if i fried the thing half way through the digital box sent download. i would do serious harm to myself:ohmy: :sad:
(and I would not want to explain that to the hubby!

starsgoblue said:

Actually it is a good idea to let the battery run completley out bout once a month or so and then totally recharge it. This is called conditioning and it will actually help the battery hold its charges longer in between!

Actually this is not quite right:

Many, many factors affect how much you get out of each charge, as well as how long the battery will last overall. The main factors include charging patterns, the routine amount of discharge (i.e., Do you use it until it dies? Use it for an hour or two and recharge?), temperature, storage, usage frequency, etc.

Lithium ion batteries do not take kindly to frequent full or complete discharges. When possible, the optimal usage pattern - for any lithium ion battery - is a partial discharge, followed by recharging. A partial discharge can be anything less than a full discharge.

However, an occasional full discharge is desirable (e.g., once every 30 charges) to calibrate the battery.

Lithium ion batteries do not significantly degrade, or develop "memory", even if charged at irregular intervals; irregular charging is acceptable.

An iPod can also safely be attached to external power for extended periods of time. (For extremely extended periods of time, such as months, the battery will essentially be the same as if it were in "storage"; lithium ion batteries do not store well for extended periods of time at full charge. However, there is no way around this under these circumstances.)

When possible, always use the AC adapter (or vehicle adapter) for extended charging, not a FireWire cable attached to a computer.

More info

Last edited:
I've had an iPod for a while.

You will get scratches on it from day 1, there is no way to prevent them, and you shouldn't stress yourself out by worrying about them. The lifespan of your iPod if you use it a lot will be 2 years tops, at which point your battery will crap out and you might as well get a new one then. So a few scratches are fine, this is not a piece of technology that you will have with you for 10 years.

Don't let the battery run out completely.

Firewire is far superior and way faster than USB. If you can get it built into your desktop, take that route.

I have a question. Can someone tell me what's so great about ipods? I mean, it's just an mp3 player right? What's the big deal? I can get a decent mp3 player for $150 bucks; why would I want to spend $350? (and then pay to download songs?)

People have been raving about them and I'd like to know what I'm missing out on. :D

Thanks!

WildHoneyAlways said:
I have a question. Can someone tell me what's so great about ipods? I mean, it's just an mp3 player right? What's the big deal? I can get a decent mp3 player for $150 bucks; why would I want to spend $350? (and then pay to download songs?)

People have been raving about them and I'd like to know what I'm missing out on. :D

Thanks!

Just like ppl like different things in life such cars, fashion, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

& usually its not quantifieable...

WildHoneyAlways said:

Why do people buy a Mercedes when they can buy a Ford for much less?

Style, brand preference, aesthetic beauty, status, functionality, take your pick.

anitram said:

Why do people buy a Mercedes when they can buy a Ford for much less?

Style, brand preference, aesthetic beauty, status, functionality, take your pick.

So the iPod doesn't do anything "special"? Hmmm....Oh well, I guess I'm not really missing out. :shrug:

Thanks though...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom