MERGED-->longer clip of L&PoE (you can hear it...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edge's solo

sounds cool, but i wonder whether that is edge playing all those notes or whether he is working the distortion pedal. i love his live solos in bullett the blue sky since the zoo tv tour and hope he plays more straight up blues based guitar solos like that...i know he is a minimalist at heart, but it's cool when he just blasts some blues solo out once in a while.

edge's solo

don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking the fact that he uses distortion and other effects..he practically invented the artform, i just think he is underrated in the guitar community and should put some of his chops on display once in a while.

Yeah Roland it soaked up Grammy's BUT who were they up against at the Grammy's? And ATYCLB did come behind a not so successful album of POP. Don't get me wrong, POP is great. I loved it cus I'm a fan but I don't know if winning Grammy's this day and age warrants us to say that its their 3rd masterpiece.

artdirector said:
Personally I think ATYCLB was very good but I don't think it was their third masterpiece. Joshua Tree... Yes....Achtung..hell yes but the last album I 'm not sure it was. Don't get me wrong I loved it but its not an album I can run straight through and say every song touches me in a certain way.

actually i agree with you, atyclb wasn't quite "a great record" like jt or ab, it was maybe just a line under, the songs of those albums remained all, after 17 and 13 years we're still talking about those songs and we get on fire when we hear them played live, that's what makes the difference.but i wouldn't say "this is a masterpiece, this isn't, and so on, because every album has a story of its own, so under this aspect you can consider them all masterpieces, because they're unique, and in every uniqueness you find the real essence of everything, and when you start contemplating it then you establish a real symbiosis relation with each song of each album, and then it becomes your personally masterpiece, even when no one else likes it

Last edited:
babyman said:
artdirector said:
Personally I think ATYCLB was very good but I don't think it was their third masterpiece. Joshua Tree... Yes....Achtung..hell yes but the last album I 'm not sure it was. Don't get me wrong I loved it but its not an album I can run straight through and say every song touches me in a certain way.

actually i agree with you, atyclb wasn't quite "a great record" like jt or ab, it was maybe just a line under, the songs of those albums remained all, after 17 and 13 years we're still talking about those songs and we get on fire when we hear them played live, that's what makes the difference.but i wouldn't say "this is a masterpiece, this isn't, and so on, because every album has a story of its own, so under this aspect you can consider them all masterpieces, because they're unique, and in every uniqueness you find the real essence of everything, and when you start contemplating it then you establish a real symbiosis relation with each song of each album, and then it becomes your personally masterpiece, even when no one else likes it

Thank you. That was a brilliant post!

A Grammy is a Grammy my Hammy! :wink: You make it sound like they are easy to get artdirector. Anyhow,I just wanted to say that the measure of a great album is NOT by how many grammies it has. I was just pointing out that the press/critics community certainly thought this is a masterpiece. AND in this community, there is something to be said about an album that can win two Record of the Year awards back to back. Beautiful Day and Walk On both won this. So, your comment, artdirector, should in fact cover two years of material that it was up against. That, in itself, says a lot.

Last edited:
I don't know how to define " masterpiece".
Commercial success? Memorable songs? Impact on the music scene? Innovative music sounds and effects and production?

I think in order to rate U2's albums we should wait until the last one comes out. It's probably too early to say where ATYCLB fits, and of course every U2 album will fail if you put it up against JT and AB, their best works.

(Given its sucess and impact, I was surprised ATYCLB didn't pick Album of the year Grammy)

Guys, why don't we stick to the topic, huh? I mean, all those ATYCLB discussions are really getting old.
Love and Peace or Else? Excellent! A really, really good song. I love Edge's solo at the end. Larry's drums are also very dynamic. I must say I really love the production of this album, as we can hear it from these clips. It is very minimalistic and it allows the band to sound like they play in a small room, right next to you.

Here's my interpretation of the lyrics, based on what people pioneered earlier (forgive me if someone beat me to it, I stopped looking for new interpretations around page 15...)

Ahhhhhhhhaaaa
Heey... hey
You ready to be taken (?)
come down now brother (?)
You don't have time
For a jealous proverb
Have you looked at his life
Have you looked at his heart

When the record plays
get a brand new heart
I don't know if I can take it
I'm dizzy on my knees
My heart its just break'in
Let's go with me (where peace?)
with me... with me... with me (where peace...?)
Where there is Love and Peace
Love and Peace

Lay it down
Lay down your guns
All you daughters of Zion.
All you Abraham's sons.

I don't know if I can take it
I'm dizzy on my knees
My heart its just break'in
Yeah come with me
with me... with me..
Where there is Love and Peace
Love and Peace
yeah yeah, uh huh

(Bono starts spoken word)
Take me to a place (?)
where Catholics can sing?
Where Jews
??
??
??
And we're all gonna love
where is the love?
Love and Peace!

where is the love?
where is the love?

Can't figure out that spoken part. Anyone tried Miracle Drug yet? That song is knocking me out.

Roland, so if they say tomorrow that Ludicris wins record of the year for two years in a row, his album is a masterpiece. Will people remember U2 for ATYCLB or Joshua Tree? Will people remember them for Achtung or ATYCLB? I think those questions speak for themselves. Great album yes, but did they break barriers? Did they go beyond whats expected musically? MMMM maybe not.

artdirector said:
Roland, so if they say tomorrow that Ludicris wins record of the year for two years in a row, his album is a masterpiece. Will people remember U2 for ATYCLB or Joshua Tree? Will people remember them for Achtung or ATYCLB? I think those questions speak for themselves. Great album yes, but did they break barriers? Did they go beyond whats expected musically? MMMM maybe not.

My apologies for this getting of topic folks. artdirector, you can have the last say. :applaud:

Ludacris can't make masterpieces too?

ATYCLB IMO wasn't U2's third masterpiece. Achtung is (with War and Joshua Tree right behind it). Of course there needs to be more time between the album and its release to be calling ATYCLB a masterpiece. Who knows, maybe ATYCLB will become known as one...

BestDrummer said:
outch the song really sounds bland... this is not U2.... geez its really bad

And just what, praytell, did you download?

Back
Top Bottom