MERGED --> Let's give a (gentle) lesson to U2 + Boycott U2 + Anyone plan to boycott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While boycotting would be effective, it isn't realistic. I don't want them to retire; just do something about what happened.

Anyway a lot of us are still mad but I think most of us love them too much to not go.

I see where you're coming from but it is not as easy to boycott U2 especially since I already bought my flight to San Diego with no refunds.

Party Boy said:
Seems like a lot of people are complaining about the seat they got. The way I look at it is if there was no presale and all we had was the mad rush to get tickets like everyone else, then what chance of getting any tickets, nevermind nosebleed ones?? Guess I'm a bit more of a glass is half full guy..:shrug:

The points, which you missed entirely, are that alot of peole didn't get tickets at all. Secondly, those of us who were "lucky" enough to get tix, got tickets that any schmo walking in to an outlet, could get. The point of signing up and paying $40 to U2.com, was that we were told we'd get preferred seating, or something to that affect. Nosebleed seats should be the last seats offered. They're not my idea of choice seating. And I think, all those who paid $40, for the ability to get choice seating, will agree.

PennyPyro said:
Can I ask a question? I've seen Sebastian Clayton mentioned a few times in connection with this whole tickets thing. What was that about? What did he do?

Sebastian Clayton is one of the owners of the company that runs U2.com. Dave Fanning recently interviewed Sebastian and asked him what he thought of the fan complaints regarding U2.com (this was before the ticketing issue). Sebastian said "I did laugh".

PRs obviously not Sebastians strong point.

beli said:

Sebastian Clayton is one of the owners of the company that runs U2.com. Dave Fanning recently interviewed Sebastian and asked him what he thought of the fan complaints regarding U2.com (this was before the ticketing issue). Sebastian said "I did laugh".

PRs obviously not Sebastians strong point.

judging by that interview, Sebastian Clayton clearly feels that he and whoever it may be that he represents (be it U2 and/or Prinicple Management and/or FanFire) have absolutely nothing to apologise for at all.

Anyone plan to boycott U2 from hereon?

U2 have supported iPod which is nothing but an unecessary luxury item that is overpriced. It will slowly signify the end of radio programming, meaning so many jobs will roll which Jobs and U2 earn the cash.

Bono eats in posh restaurants, has purchased many houses (France, New York, etc.), wears sunglasses that are $400, and lives in all the luxuries. No problem for a rich popstar, but it becomes hypocritical when you are asking the world to help Africa while you live in mansions and have lots of food leftovers. Sometimes, I am inclined to believe critics who claim that his Africa work is just to boost is already overbloated ego because he gets to shake hands with world leader - something other popstars will never get to do.

Clayton admits in a TIME magazine interview that U2 delayed the release of HTDAAB because it did not not have enough "hits." In the 80's, U2 woud never admit that. They were not out to make "hits" - most tracks from Unforgettable Fire are hardly hits, even Exit from the Joshua Tree would never cut it in radio. Now U2 need the hits because they want to sell as many records as possible. They are enveloped by a desire for more profits. HTDAAB is the first and only U2 album where all songs are acessible and you can sing along to them. You can't sing New York or Miami in your shower. U2 were more ambitious back then.

Now we get the whole website fiasco. Many argue that it costs must to maintain a website. It costs much to maintain a good website, but for a website like U2.com? They probably have a maximum (and I'm being generous) of 2 people to update the content there. Interference is a much better fansite. U2, smartly knowing that their site is crap, use "ticket presales" as the come-on to entice people to get membership otherwise it would not be worth the $40. Now, the have taken back their promises. The unofficial reason being they did not expect too many people to sign up. Actually, if too many people sign up - then the more they should add extra benefits because that is more profits for them. But instead of adding member benefits, they deduct it - while brilliantly adding profits to their piggy bank.

Has inflation really been that bad? Popmart's most expensive tickets were $60, Elevation around $85. Now they are charging $165, and the cheapest go for $50? What are they smoking? It's all about the money. By touring arenas and playing few shows, they are assured that all shows will be "sold out" and this will make good media mileage "sold out U2 shows which cannot meet fan demand." By overcharging, they are assured of profits that will go well with their U2.com membership profits in their piggy bank.

Making money and profits per se is not a bad thing. U2 need it to earn a living. But when you make money through a web of deception, when you make money and compromise your integrity - then there is a problem.

Does anyone honestly believe U2 still have the same sincerity and integrity as they did during the 80s?

I think U2 have crossed the line and many people might feel the same.

So is there anyone here who plans to boycott U2 (products, merchandise, cds, concert tickets, etc) from now on?

Lately, everytime I hear a U2 song I seem to grab my wallet and check if my cash is still in place. I equate U2 to money-grabers nowadays.

Cheers,

J

So is there anyone here who plans to boycott U2 (products, merchandise, cds, concert tickets, etc) from now on?

No

:|

Ya know what Jick, I've always hated you. You suck. You're posts are hit and run BS. But I think you're right on this one. I may be done w/ U2 if they don't respond to this. I'll sell my bootlegs on Ebay, give my concert shirts to the Salvation Army, and remove their tunes from my computer. I can't listen to their music right now. I've understood alot of what they've done over their career, Ipods, Popmart, etc. But I can't excuse carefully worded language regarding the presales. Right now every lyric seems false.

Last edited:
Troll, troll, troll your boat...

At least be accurate with your facts. Elevation's top tickets came in at $130. They also offered a mid-range at $85.

MSU2mike said:
Troll, troll, troll your boat...

At least be accurate with your facts. Elevation's top tickets came in at $130. They also offered a mid-range at $85.

Fuck you. Some of us have been w/ this band for 20+ years, and are upset right now.

MrBrau1 said:

Fuck you. Some of us have been w/ this band for 20+ years, and are upset right now.

You would do well to either calm down or grow up. I neither addressed you, nor attacked those who are upset right now. I agree with much of the angst that is being felt right now. What happened yesterday was indeed ridiculous.

What I disagree with is jick's constant trolling and, as you noted yourself, his hit and run posting. If he's going to continue to post here he should at least be called out when he tries to suggest the top ticket prices have somehow doubled since the Elevation tour from $85 to $160. That's simply not true.

ultraviolet118 said:
I can't f**kin' believe what's going on! It's could potentially cost upwards of $200 to see U2. If you pay $165 for a ticket, and you paid your $40 dollars to U2.com, for a membership, to get first crack at choice seating. Which, by the way, is a total f**kin' joke. My wife logged in, right at 10am, and the best seat she could get was section 405 at MSG?! Are you f**kin' kidding me?! That was the best they had?! F**kin' bullsh**, is what it is! U2.com can kiss my a$$! We're paying to fly up to New York, stay in a hotel, plus tickets. Just so we can see our favorite band. The only silver lining is that we didn't get stuck with $165 tickets. If U2 doesn't make it to Tampa on the 2nd time through the states, I guess we'll only get to see 1 show this tour, and it will be my last.
you are allowed to use actual profanity here, you know. this isn't the fcc's forums :wink:

I might consider at least boycotting this tour if it weren't for the fact I have never seen U2 live despite being a fan since 1987. I had made up my mind this was the year I was going to go, come hell or high water. So I am still going to try to get tix for the 3rd leg (didn't try for this leg since none of the venues were anywhere near where I live). Then again, if the ship doesn't get righted somehow between now and then I may have no choice but to boycott because I won't be able to get tix anyway! :mad: Why the hell didn't I go see U2 before they became the corporate machine they are now? I could kick myself.

Last edited:
You know what is so funny about all this? We're all going to end up paying the $$$ and go to the concerts. You know it, I know it, Jick knows it.

I understand the frustration, I understand anger but you know only about 2 to 5% of this population of U2 fans is really going to say bye bye, and that estimate may be high. Those who really are leaving aren't even bothering with this forum.

Deep down inside we are all disappointed because we care so much. And we're all on these boards because our passion runs deep and true. The reaction we are seeing is akin to promising God you won't commit the same sin again if you are forgiven for this one. We want to believe, we need to believe but the emotion is very strong right now.

I do realize mistakes have been made by U2.com, FanFire, TM and maybe even the band itself. However a picture of the band as money grubbing, corporate whores isn't a real picture. It's pure fantasy made by people who are genuinely hurt, and disappointed by what they perceive as an injustice.

Are we really going to be talking boycott come March 28? The only cure I know is a live U2 show. There is no better medicine. So vent, please it's healthy. Express yourself, print up your (offensive) t-shirts, boycott the singles, throw your keychains get it all out, because most, if not all of us will be singing a different tune at the end of the show.

Reggie Thee Dogg and DrWho rule! :wink:

I don't think DrWho posted in this thread, but the 2 of you are a refreshing dose of just enough realism, fan loyalty and eloquence!

Talk about a mini-drama!!
Its a concert.. everyone complaining are coming across like very spoilt fans. Yep I paid my £21 to sign up for website for the chance of buying tickets ahead of the mad rush that is certain to hit on Friday.
Yep i had a disaster trying to get tickets where Ticketmaster screwed up. And yes, by the time I eventually got in, the only tickets I could get cost me £75 a piece. If thats what it costs to see my fav band play then so be it. If I had issues with the band and the whole buying tickets process then i wouldn't bought the tickets in the first place!! Simple logic really, its called consumer choice.
At the end of the day, you can boycott all you want. Do you you really think concerts are not going to be sold out? A lot of people seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face and coming up with all sorts of conspiracy theories most of which are ridiculous.

Another point, how many people would have signed up for U2.com to get tickets? I saw a figure of 15000 somewhere (not sure if this is accurate or not). In US people could buy a max of 2 tickets each. In Europe its 4. Marketing/common sense would mean that the allocation for U2.com fans would not all be GA. There would have to be a percentage of the more expensive seats in the allocation. Therefore, GA are most likely to sell out first leaving more expensive ones for those who through presale - with the ticketmaster cock-up, I got in late. I was one of those as I originally wanted GA for the London show. In the end, as mentioned, I bought 2 tickets, along with Ticketmasters booking fee, which came to £157 - much more than what I wanted to spend. However, given the choice, I could either buy them now or take my chance with GA and the inevitable madrush on Friday.

It just feels that a lot of people here had unrealistic expectations who seemed to think they were 100% certain of getting the ticket they wanted through the presale. The cockup by Ticketmaster (not U2) did not help. Seems tho that U2 are being blamed for this also when it was clearly a Tickemaster problem.

Anyway, as mini drama's go, its up with the whole is the Edge real or not thing. Hmm.. makes you wonder if their are paid script writers on this website!:yes:

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know what is so funny about all this? We're all going to end up paying the $$$ and go to the concerts. You know it, I know it, Jick knows it.

I understand the frustration, I understand anger but you know only about 2 to 5% of this population of U2 fans is really going to say bye bye, and that estimate may be high. Those who really are leaving aren't even bothering with this forum.

Deep down inside we are all disappointed because we care so much. And we're all on these boards because our passion runs deep and true. The reaction we are seeing is akin to promising God you won't commit the same sin again if you are forgiven for this one. We want to believe, we need to believe but the emotion is very strong right now.

I do realize mistakes have been made by U2.com, FanFire, TM and maybe even the band itself. However a picture of the band as money grubbing, corporate whores isn't a real picture. It's pure fantasy made by people who are genuinely hurt, and disappointed by what they perceive as an injustice.

Are we really going to be talking boycott come March 28? The only cure I know is a live U2 show. There is no better medicine. So vent, please it's healthy. Express yourself, print up your (offensive) t-shirts, boycott the singles, throw your keychains get it all out, because most, if not all of us will be singing a different tune at the end of the show.

That is also part of the brilliance of the marketing machine and corporate monster that is U2. They can screw people over, rip them off, and rake in all the profits (sometimes through borderline ethical means) and still get all the praise and recognition as a band. U2 are the Bill Gates of music and the Dubya Bush of war tactics and prisoner treatment. So I commend U2 for letting everyone think they are clean and innocent from the charges.

Cheers,

J

Well, I'm definitely not buying tickets for the first leg of the tour, if you want to call that a boycott. They aren't playing anywhere within driving distance, and tickets+airfare+hotel, etc. is just too much money.

I'd rather take my wife on a REAL vacation

And if you've seen u2.com this morning, the third leg is not even definite.

Back
Top Bottom