MERGED ---> Kot/Bono Interview + Gret Kot interview with Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
typhoon said:

You missed a big part of my logic: "U2-of-2005 can't match U2-of-1997's vision." Single versions while you're on tour supporting the album are fine. Revisionist remixes six years, one album later aren't. If they remade the rest of Pop between stops on the PopMart tour, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Right now, there's little hope of them capturing that same vibe. If they remade Pop today, it could not be the same album they would've made with the Legendary Extra Month In 1997. I don't think their grand original vision included a watered down "Staring at the Sun" and lifeless arena rock versions of "Discotheque" and "Gone." That was U2-of-2002's vision.

What made you infer that I'm "offended" by any of this, though?

Ah so reworking songs is only ok in a certain era :up:

U2 said all along the album was rushed (in fact they did 3 single versions right away!), it's not like they went "oh we should change Pop" on the second Best of. (I agree Staring at the sun isn't better than the original, but Discotheque - beats and bleeps aside- always was a rock song. most fans liked the new Gone, too)

Your bitterness sure makes it look like you were threatened by that. (not offended, you said that)

echo0001 said:
I got HTDAAB, something happened that has never happened before--I listened to a U2 album for the first time and I didn't feel much at all.
Really? For me, all of the nineties albums (well, except for the Passengers project) appealed to me immediately, but the eighties stuff had to grow on me. Which is kind of funny since the nineties records are considered so much more experimental and inaccessible.

I think I prefer the eighties stuff now, though. Although, to answer someone's question, yeah, j'adore Pop (and PopMart; and the "Please" and "If God Will Send His Angels" singles, which were the last two good singles they ever released, possibly because they weren't full of crappy remixes sprawled across twenty different versions for each region; and "I'm Not Your Baby" and most of the rest of the songs from this era; and 40-ft. lemons).

The single versions of "Please" and "If God Will Send His Angels" (and I guess "Last Night On Earth," although I prefer the rough album mix of that) show what could've been if they'd had that extra month. The Best Of remixes show that the feeling's long gone now, though. Would it have been nice if they'd had extra time? Yeah. But they can't make up for it now. I wonder how much of the stigma against Pop would exist if they'd just stand by their own beautifully flawed work.
ShellBeThere said:
and will someone please tell me what the horror is about being the half-time show at the superbowl? sure, if they had dancing girls with wardrobe malfunctions and staged things totally differently from how they usually do, that would be one thing, but as I recall it (didn't even see it except on tape like in the last year or so! boy was I outta the media loop then...) it was quite lovely and tasteful.
they've been playing stadiums for godsake for a long time now, no?
cheers!
Yeah, I don't see the big deal about the Super Bowl performance. Just because all the other acts are crap doesn't mean U2 shouldn't do it, it just means they have something to prove. I love it when Bono gets talking about how rock should grow a pair and stop being so afraid of success.

If you want to bitch about something, though, how about the NBA halftime show they did during one of the Boston Elevation shows? I recall a "going out to the NBA!" and a thrown basketball during, of all songs, "Where the Streets have No Name." Tacky. I wonder if they got $23 million for that...?

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Yeah, I don't see the big deal about the Super Bowl performance. Just because all the other acts are crap doesn't mean U2 shouldn't do it, it just means they have something to prove. I love it when Bono gets talking about how rock should grow a pair and stop being so afraid of success.

If you want to bitch about something, though, how about the NBA halftime show they did during one of the Boston Elevation shows? I recall a "going out to the NBA!" and a thrown basketball during, of all songs, "Where the Streets have No Name." Tacky. I wonder if they got $23 million for that...?

Hahaha. yeah that NBA thing was LAME-O! But, you know Bono has to make an ass of himself at least once in awhile to give Henry Rollins and his ilk some fodder.

I mean, about the whole subject matter, I don't give a shit if the band wants to do the Super Bowl or even that cheesy NBA thing, the only logical question is why?

People know who the fuck U2 is, even in small town America.

The people who are gonna get into U2 aren't generally the type of people who like to be brow beaten with advertising and promotion. I mean, this is not unkown band Feedback from Dublin, this is U2, 60 year old women in the middle of the United States know who the hell Bono is. What is the purpose of the promotion? Sales? To be relevant through sales?

Relvancy=sales? BULLSHIT. That is some archaic idea that I thought was dead and buried when Nirvana broke.

Look at Limp Bizkit and Creed sales, then look at Radiohead and Coldplay sales in America over the last several years and tell me how that matches up to relevancy. Here's a hint, the two shitty bands sold an ass load more than the two good bands.

I don't think U2 have figured this out. Maybe it's just Paul McGuiness fault.

He wasn't talking about sales, but being present, on TV and the radio. His argument is rock should fight the charts music - and I agree with that. I also like how he admits the savyness of hip hop/rap that basically took over the mainstream in the US. That, and the ageist mentality, is what is making it so hard for rock bands - let alone at U2's age - to succeed there. That is why they have to work so hard for their music.

(the other alternative? getting a hot hip hop producer, getting alternative new "cool and urban a la P Diddy or J Lo" names, girls and cars in your videos and start derogating women in the lyrics. Or start writing lyrics like "the world sucks and I'm so angry" like plethora of today's "rock" bands.Talk about walking all over their ideals.)

One of the most archaic ideas is rock bands should not be succesful and popular. Rock even started out as party music, that WAS on the radio and TV shows.

Where would U2 be now if they haven't gotten new fans with AB? Or JT? Or ATYCLB?
Didn't the band themselves said, many times over, they're always seeking to get new fans with each album?

Last edited:

"HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB"

Nov. 21, 2004: Fans who embrace this album will undoubtedly be comforted by how closely it hews to the band's trademark sound. But U2 carries weight and meaning because it has always challenged its fans as much as embraced them. "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" shrinks from that high standard by offering U2 by the numbers.

This is from Kot's review of HTDAAB, I think that it kinda sums up the whole point for those who are cringing at U2 circa 2005.

It's not actually about the Super Bowl, or the iPod ad, or about attracting new fans, or about wanting to be at the top of the charts. I have no problem with what these things are, the question is why they've chosen to do them and more specificaly, why they've chosen to do them this way.

U2 have an amazing creative force. It had never failed them. It runs strong from Boy right through to Pop. But then it suddenly stops.

Why since 2000 have they chosen to be so deliberately bland?

Having a look at the Billboard Chart this week I notice that The Killers are at #11 after 48 weeks on the chart. I also notice that U2 aren't in the Top 50 (all I can see for free). Here in Australia, a country that did actually embrace Pop and traditionaly are massive on U2, The Killers are at #9. Again, U2 aren't in the Top 50.

There are plenty of other bands out there who are making popular, commercialy accessible and successful rock music at the moment, and making household names of themselves in the process. There are also the lightweight crapolla bands like Maroon 5 making cheesy pop-rock that no-one will remember in 5 years, and shipping millions. U2 could have been the former or the latter and on this album in particular, they are the latter.

They've deliberately chosen to do this. Why?

Do they or anyone in here think that U2 don't have it in themselves to still produce outstanding, creative albums that would top the charts?

Look at these bands now. The Killers, Coldplay, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand etc etc etc. They all bow down at the alter of U2. All of them. These are the U2-influenced generation coming through now and they are all happy to acknowledge it. And right when they do come through, right when U2 have the opportunity to be the big granddaddy of them all...... they jump ship and join the pop-rock group.

The point is, there is absolutely no need for U2 to do what they are doing to be everything Bono wants them to be. So why are they doing it? What's the difference? I think it's all about risk. I don't think they wanted to take the risk. Which is where it all comes back to Kot's line of questioning in regards to Pop, sales and creativity.

The answer is there, if you can find in between all of Bono's ranting.

I love this band. I hope they get their balls back in time.

Earnie Shavers said:

It's not actually about the Super Bowl, or the iPod ad, or about attracting new fans, or about wanting to be at the top of the charts.

I thought that's it exactly what it's been about for some fans, who have been complaining since 2000.

The same review also says there's nothing wrong with a band playing to its strengths. Of course, that attitude is expected from a journalist who drools over 90's U2 and dislikes anything else they've done.

Last edited:
U2 now = better musicians, better songwriters.
U2 then = more balls.

U2 now = their lives are too safe and so are their futures.
U2 then = had something to say, something to achieve and something to fight for.

U2 now = getting older and wiser.
U2 then = youthful and innocent.

U2 now = great live.
U2 then = fantastic live.

Which do I prefer?
U2 then.
But I'd still sell my granny for a GA ticket tomorrow!

It's not those things alone, it's what the Super Bowl and iPod etc appear to be when combined with the music. One without the other wouldn't seem quite as bad....

I guess what the feeling is, is that the combination of all of the above seems to point to U2's post 2000 motto as: Make it safe, and make sure it sells a lot.

They've always cared about the charts, but they've never deliberately moulded their music to accomodate them. They've always pushed their music in every avenue they can, but not ones where it's simply sold as a brand, not played on it's own merits or art.

For me personaly, it begins and ends with the music, and if the music was in shape I wouldn't question anything else. Because the music is so obviously safe and aimed squarely at the most common ear, I think "why?" It's not something they've ever done before. Look around at their other actions and it's hard not to make the assumption that it's deliberate and very premeditated.

Earnie Shavers said:
It's not those things alone, it's what the Super Bowl and iPod etc appear to be when combined with the music. One without the other wouldn't seem quite as bad....

I guess what the feeling is, is that the combination of all of the above seems to point to U2's post 2000 motto as: Make it safe, and make sure it sells a lot.

They've always cared about the charts, but they've never deliberately moulded their music to accomodate them. They've always pushed their music in every avenue they can, but not ones where it's simply sold as a brand, not played on it's own merits or art.

For me personaly, it begins and ends with the music, and if the music was in shape I wouldn't question anything else. Because the music is so obviously safe and aimed squarely at the most common ear, I think "why?" It's not something they've ever done before. Look around at their other actions and it's hard not to make the assumption that it's deliberate and very premeditated.

U2 weren't listening to the Manchester scene when they made AB, or techno when they made Pop, or pop when they made ATYCLB, and the new rock bands when they made HTDAAB? Or to rhythm and blues and blues for Rattle and Hum, and American music for JT - talk about two albums designed for US - and punk music with their first three albums, and something else for UF?

New fans is what keeps them around, plus incorporating the new and current music in their albums. If that's deliberate, U2 has always been doing that.

Used to be MTV and radio that cut it for the popularity, but that's not enough, not with the downloads, takeover of urban styles in US, the ageist mentality of younger audiences and far more aggresive music promotion in the industry. (US of course, they don't have chart problems elsewhere)
Any band that has a record deal, is in a way selling their music.

I guess I'm one of the "blind followers" who liked the last two albums.

Last edited:
Pop was not a bad album. The Popmart tour was the failure. The band were dwarfed by the enormous low-res screen, Bono's voice was going through a bad patch for a lot of the tour i.e. speaking more than singing the songs, and the sound was in mono to meet the design requirements. The music on the album was fresh, exciting and brave.

Earnie Shavers said:

But U2 have always been about more than just the music.
The lyrics, their meanings, the politics, their religions etc

I agree that it's the music that has to 'move' you, but if you listen to every album on that basis then you would have to admit that the band have only ever made 4 good albums 1985-1997 (pick what you will) BUT if you listen to all their albums again, then you'll have to admit that they've constantly made great individual songs.

I don't like the Superbowl and ipod association myself, but at least they used the SB to convey their message about 9/11.
But then again, was their SB actions correct?
Where they educating the American people or were they aggravating them?

If it came down to the band making great songs with no political overtones or weak songs full of politics then I guess I would choose the first.

I'm not that crazy about the 2002-versions of songs from POP so I guess I'm glad they didn't finish POP:huh:

U2mixer said:
U2 now = better musicians, better songwriters.
U2 then = more balls.

U2 now = their lives are too safe and so are their futures.
U2 then = had something to say, something to achieve and something to fight for.

U2 now = getting older and wiser.
U2 then = youthful and innocent.

U2 now = great live.
U2 then = fantastic live.

Which do I prefer?
U2 then.
But I'd still sell my granny for a GA ticket tomorrow!

Interesting comparison...this whole discussion is interesting!

They might have had more balls then...surely they were hungrier cuz their bellies weren't full as they are now.
But I don't think that their fight to be 'relevant' now is just about sales or just about playing it safe or that they don't have anything to achieve now.
It's only because they feel they do have something more to achieve that they keep it up...
I think they do still want to challenge us, and I think Bono indicated that he's still feeling they're battling out there. I don't think to 'win' they're making bland shit aimed at the commonest ear whatever the hell that means. Goodness, it feels like we're talking about classical musicians arguing that only atonal stuff is truly new and if you write nice melodies you're being bland and trying to appeal to the dumb ear...hasn't that debate happened (not that I know shit about any kind of music really...). It's not about sales, it can be about direction. I do agree that there is a cultural fight Bono seems to allude to as well. That the everything-sucks-who-cares stuff is something they want to rail against. And that while hiphop is all well and good in some ways, it has some majorly problematic aspects...jeez I'm thinking of the lovely vision OOTS provides lyrically and the contrasting sets of images for about and to young women held up by so much of the crap (imho) people listen to.
The stuff on HTDAAB is *not* bland, and neither was the stuff on ATYCLB. There are brilliant songs on them I think. I love a lot from all their 'eras', some from all of it has hit me right away and some from all of it has taken me some time to warm to or figure out. Are these songs 'bland' because of their sing-ability? Because of their catchy melodies, because they don't have funky effects? What makes them bland exactly?
All the promotion issues aside, the superbowl the i-pod,the desire to have new fans and expose people to the songs maximally, to change the mood of a season...all that aside...what's bland about what they're doing lately?

cheers all...

In 83 no one have ever heard anything like New Year’s Day
In 87 no one have ever heard anything like With or Without (in fact even today is a weird song in some way)
In 91 no one have ever heard anything like The Fly, or latter like One
Even in 97 no one have ever heard anything like Discothèque

Those songs and correspondent albums were much ahead of their time, and gave us proof that charts, mtv radio and whatsoever can be taken by music that is honest, innovative and tell something to people’s hearts, and not necessarily only by wallpaper music or catchy fashionable songs. This was the fact that merged in U2 commercial success (that they always enjoyed it’s true, and nothing wrong with that) with critical acclaim, and made them the best band in the world.

Those were the days that just by releasing those songs without explanations and mass promotion, they did more for music than what Bono needs to say that they are doing now. - No Bono, I never wanted to see my favorite band on the Top Of the Pops “right next to the enemy” (and I doubt that you wanted). I always wanted the enemy to be beaten without the humiliation of going in their field doing instrumental play-backs. That used to happen when TOTP was forced to finish with U2 videos as they were topping the charts and we could feel how superior you are to this crap show.

I still love this band, even because if these last years haven’t been as they used to be in terms of credibility, it can still be easily recognizable in their music that they still have that “something” (I can chill with sycmioyo or yahweh, or get amazed with lapoe). I just wish that they had the guts to believe only in that “something” and expect the rest to come naturally as once they did.

U2mixer said:

But U2 have always been about more than just the music.
The lyrics, their meanings, the politics, their religions etc

I meant 'the music' to include all of those things. I guess I meant that it begins and ends with every note and thought and meaning packaged in the album, not the extra curricular stuff outside of the album (promotion etc).

yeah, bono has pretty much been written off by me for a while now, and this confirms it.

i truly get the feeling he is only interested in being in the biggest rock band in the world, and not the best...even if he'll say the exact opposite.

his feelings on pop are ridiculous. look at what he said about discoteque..."if it had been a number 1" it would have been different...that's all he cares about! what a joke.

sometimes it actually hurts to think that i liked these guys as much as i used to. they really were cool to me...the 80's, 90's, it was all real. i actually believed what they were doing was what THEY wanted to do.

now it's about speaking to my friend's mother, and my boss who wears a suit and tie and drives a bmw.

he's become a tosser, and this interview cements it. praise goes to the interviewer though for actually giving it to him, and not kissing his ass.

and yes, praise to bono for addressing him. it would have been easy to ignore him completely, but he didn't.

U2girl said:

Ah so reworking songs is only ok in a certain era :up:

U2 said all along the album was rushed (in fact they did 3 single versions right away!), it's not like they went "oh we should change Pop" on the second Best of. (I agree Staring at the sun isn't better than the original, but Discotheque - beats and bleeps aside- always was a rock song. most fans liked the new Gone, too)

Your bitterness sure makes it look like you were threatened by that. (not offended, you said that)

maybe you'd be best to sticking to reasons why you love post 97 u2, as opposed to why you don't like pop as much.

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:

Are these songs 'bland' because of their sing-ability? Because of their catchy melodies, because they don't have funky effects? What makes them bland exactly?

I think that what people call "bland" here is that the 2000+ songs fall in their majority into the classical pop song pattern, songs that fit well in AOR. Namely non-innovative material. U2 didn't use to produce this type of music. I'm not saying that this is good or bad necessarily - it's simply a major change from what they have always done. This band has always in some way or other produced fresh and original material - you could never say that U2's music reminded you of any other artist and it always, at least for me, had a special extra that made listening and enjoying it a unique experience. When I first listened to ATCLYB I thought that except for the lyrics, it was an album that could have been recorded by any other compatible artist. I felt that the album was OK, there were a few good songs in it but it didn't have that extra bonus that U2 albums used to have which made them special. It must be easily two years since ATYCLB was last seen by my CD player - nothing like that had ever happened to me with any other U2 album, even those I got over of at some point - in fact I still play Boy and October occasionally! When I first listend to HTDAAB I could distinctly identify where I had heard some similar material before - not that I'm even remotely saying that they are copying (they don't need to) but there is a sort of Oasisish tendency to recreate past music which I didn't think U2 was going to ever go for. I'm not saying the album is bad, on the contrary - it's very listenable, but to me it is listenable as Oasis' music is - a pleasant but superficial experience.

U2girl said:

New fans is what keeps them around, plus incorporating the new and current music in their albums. If that's deliberate, U2 has always been doing that.

Well I don't think the latest album has incorporated "new and current music" - it has a current sound, but IMV it rather recreates older music.

Earnie Shavers said:

"HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB"

Nov. 21, 2004: Fans who embrace this album will undoubtedly be comforted by how closely it hews to the band's trademark sound. But U2 carries weight and meaning because it has always challenged its fans as much as embraced them. "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" shrinks from that high standard by offering U2 by the numbers.

This is from Kot's review of HTDAAB, I think that it kinda sums up the whole point for those who are cringing at U2 circa 2005.

This statement expresses quite closely how I feel about the last two albums, however I'm not cringing at U2. I really don't question the motives of artists for producing what they do, for behaving like they do, etc. The "selling out" and similar arguments are completely irrelevant to me in any case. Frankly I don't give a s**t if U2 plays the SuperBowl or not, if they appear on a major corporation's commercial, etc, etc. They can do it, they seem to want to do it, it's their own business. What is relevant to me is actually the sort of music they are producing and whether that music provides me with the sort of experience past U2 music does.

U2girl said:
The same review also says there's nothing wrong with a band playing to its strengths. Of course, that attitude is expected from a journalist who drools over 90's U2 and dislikes anything else they've done.

Not necessarily. I drool over their 90s AND love almost everything else they've done. I've been a fan since 1983 and I agree with Kot on this excerpt (I haven't read the whole review).

I always thought that Steve Erlewine from AMG nailed it in his review.

--Ever since the beginning of their career, U2 had a sense of purpose and played on a larger scale than their peers, so when they stumbled with the knowing rocktronica fusion of 1997's Pop — the lone critical and commercial flop in their catalog — it was enough to shake the perception held among fans and critics, perhaps even among the group itself, that the band was predestined to always be the world's biggest and best rock & roll band. Following that brief, jarring stumble, U2 got back to where they once belonged with All That You Can't Leave Behind, returning to the big-hearted anthems of their '80s work. It was a confident, cinematic album that played to their strengths, winning back the allegiance of wary fans and critics, who were eager to once again bestow the title of the world's biggest and best band upon the band, but all that praise didn't acknowledge a strange fact about the album: it was a conservative affair. After grandly taking risks for the better part of a decade, U2 curbed their sense of adventure, consciously stripping away the irony that marked every one of their albums since 1991's Achtung Baby, and returning to the big, earnest sound and sensibility of their classic '80s work. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, the long-awaited 2004 sequel to ATYCLB, proves that this retreat was no mere fling: the band is committed to turning back the clock and acting like the '90s never happened.

Essentially, U2 are trying to revirginize themselves, to erase their wild flirtation with dance clubs and postmodernism so they can return to the time they were the social conscience of rock music. Gone are the heavy dance beats, gone are the multiple synthesizers, gone are the dense soundscapes that marked their '90s albums, but U2 are so concerned with recreating their past that they don't know where to stop peeling away the layers. They've overcorrected for their perceived sins, scaling back their sound so far that they have shed the murky sense of mystery that gave The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree an otherworldly allure. That atmospheric cloud has been replaced with a clean, sharp production, gilded in guitars and anchored with straight-ahead, unhurried rhythms that never quite push the songs forward. This crisp production lacks the small sonic shadings that gave ATYCLB some depth, and leaves How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb showcasing U2 at their simplest, playing direct, straight-ahead rock with little subtlety and shading in the production, performance, or lyrics. Sometimes, this works to the band's detriment, since it can reveal how familiar the Edge's guitar has grown or how buffoonish Bono's affectations have become (worst offender: the overdubbed "hola!" that answers the "hello" in the chorus of "Vertigo"). But the stark production can also be an advantage, since the band still sounds large and powerful. U2 still are expert craftsmen, capable of creating records with huge melodic and sonic hooks, of which there are many on HTDAAB, including songs as reassuring as the slyly soulful "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" and the soaring "City of Blinding Lights," or the pile-driving "All Because of You." Make no mistake, these are all the ingredients that make How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb a very good U2 record, but what keeps it from reaching the heights of greatness is that it feels too constrained and calculated, too concerned with finding purpose in the past instead of bravely heading into the future. It's a minor but important detail that may not matter to most listeners, since the record does sound good when it's playing, but this conservatism is what keeps HTDAAB earthbound and prevents it from standing alongside War, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as one of the group's finest efforts. --

*he gave it 4 stars, for whatever it's worth.

U2girl said:

U2 weren't listening to the Manchester scene when they made AB, or techno when they made Pop, or pop when they made ATYCLB, and the new rock bands when they made HTDAAB? Or to rhythm and blues and blues for Rattle and Hum, and American music for JT - talk about two albums designed for US - and punk music with their first three albums, and something else for UF?

Used to be MTV and radio that cut it for the popularity, but that's not enough, not with the downloads, takeover of urban styles in US, the ageist mentality of younger audiences and far more aggresive music promotion in the industry. (US of course, they don't have chart problems elsewhere)
Any band that has a record deal, is in a way selling their music.

I guess I'm one of the "blind followers" who liked the last two albums.

OK, I think some of this is still going around in circles.

I work in entertainment marketing. I have done for the best part of a decade, most of it spent working at a major record label. I am probably the last person on this forum who has an issue with the selling of music or 'art', it's how I earn a living. I also know that from the 'suits' perspective that the Bomb marketing was considered outstanding and ground breaking, and I agree. u2 have pretty much always been on top of the game in that regard. Them flogging their music through every available channel is nothing new. They've been way savvy to it since the Joshua Tree, and had it down to perfection from Achtung onwards. Their only stuff up being Pop in the US (a lot of it's failure was the belief that it was a 'dance' record which indicates a promotion problem). If U2 were asked to get up there and belt out the Fly at the 1992 Super Bowl, I'm sure they would have. That's just me saying; Selling = Ok with me.

What you list above are mostly influences. Achtung was the riskiest thing they ever did musicaly, but it was a natural thing. It was influenced by a myriad of music going around at the time, but at the point where they put it out, there was nothing quite like it on the radio, and there was no way of knowing whether it would sink - and be the end of u2 - or swim, as it did. This was the same for every single album they recorded, bar Rattle & Hum, which still has an ugly stigma attached to it as the 'commercial cash in' album (and I think that one is unfair - I just think the well was dry before they acknowledged it, even to themselves). I believe that U2 make pre-conceived decisions about the general, rough musical direction of an album, or the general rough spirit of the album, but that 98% of it is what comes in the studio, and they believe in that - whatever it is - and put that out there regardless of whatever else is going on. They then cross their fingers, promote, promote, promote and hope that people follow. As that review says, U2 were always about challenging as much as embracing their fans. I think from Pop onwards that has changed. I think the decision making begins and ends with commercial success. It is not about creating the music that is running in their heads - whatever that is - and working their butts off to make it commercially successful. Instead, limiting the boundaries to what is known to be guaranteed airplay (ie pop music) and building songs by numbers that, while better than most of the stuff you'll hear on commercial playlists, is still just that - commercial pop. I believe they do have a definite pre-conceived plan there now, and it is all suffering for it.

Both the main review in this thread, and the one quoted above, get to the heart of the problem, but with varying degrees of acceptance.
U2 have taken 180 turns with their music half a dozen times. It's always been natural and fueled by a creative need. All can agree that U2's stated 180 turn this time around, before anything was released, was to reign it all back in and take it back to the basics. Throw out the drum machines, samplers, hi tech producers and replace it with 4 guys playing straight out rock'n'roll? Fine by me! Is it what they actually did? Not even close.

ultraviolet7 said:

I think that what people call "bland" here is that the 2000+ songs fall in their majority into the classical pop song pattern, songs that fit well in AOR. Namely non-innovative material. U2 didn't use to produce this type of music. I'm not saying that this is good or bad necessarily - it's simply a major change from what they have always done. This band has always in some way or other produced fresh and original material - you could never say that U2's music reminded you of any other artist and it always, at least for me, had a special extra that made listening and enjoying it a unique experience.

This is spot on and it's what I personally don't like (and think many, many, many others feel the same way). It's not that U2 changed direction. It's that on this particular change of direction the things that they actually stripped away were the things that made them U2. I guess it might come down to what you saw in U2 in the first place, and what it is that you have seen in them all along. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb to me is an example of extremely good pop song writing. That means I weight it up against Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls etc - and it kicks their a*se. I wouldn't dare measure it against any of the new challening, innovative, creative bands of today. It's not a fair fight. U2 have left one group and slipped over to the other. That may sit well with you, but I think it's really sad. They certainly didn't have to do it either. Who honestly believes that U2 couldn't have produced whatever the f*ck they wanted and still be, at worst, one of the 2 or 3 biggest bands in the world? U2 have always shifted and changed and challenged and embraced and were continualy the massive monster that Bono wanted them to be. I have no doubt that if U2 had actually made the shift they'd promised, to a stripped back, out and out rock band, they would have been successful and made just as much money as Bono wants them to. We'll probably never know though. U2 post-2000 is simply not the same thing that they were in the 2 and a bit decades before. The very core of their music has changed, and it's the very core that made them 'U2'. Once that soul has been ripped out.... they're just a very tight and talented pop band... but they're barely U2 anymore.

Earnie Shavers said:

I have no doubt that if U2 had actually made the shift they'd promised, to a stripped back, out and out rock band, they would have been successful and made just as much money as Bono wants them to. We'll probably never know though. U2 post-2000 is simply not the same thing that they were in the 2 and a bit decades before. The very core of their music has changed, and it's the very core that made them 'U2'. Once that soul has been ripped out.... they're just a very tight and talented pop band... but they're barely U2 anymore.

I've said it before - they feel safe in the arms of the middle of the road commercially accepting public and new 'fans'.

Bono's 'balls' are in the pre-2000 top drawer and (even though they still write some amazing tunes) they aren't relevant anymore.

I love the band, but I don't love the music as much as I used to - I guess I stick with them because of our 'past' relationship.

I don't think they'll ever make a true 'rock n roll' album - maybe a covers album, but that'll be sad.

i had no idea so many people here feel the same way i do.

earnie is spot on with them being a pop group - that's exactly what they are. going up against maroon 5 and matchbox twenty, and indeed, kicking their ass (but which band that has any critical appeal DOESN'T??), but certainly can't be compared to the great bands of today including radiohead, arcade fire, etc.

This is all very interesting and carefully stated stuff, the last bunch of pages here...like that review...much more useful and indepth than Kot's words I've seen..
I don't agree that U2 has been reduced to just another popband albeit the bestone out there, nor do I agree that they've stripped themselves of what has made them essentially U2...but I have to think more about what you all have said.

Can the folks who've stated that previously U2's work always sounded different to them but now it reminds them of everythingelse maybe tell who they're hearing echos of in the new work? Is it maroon5 and matchbox20 and googoodolls, as mentioned to be their current 'genre'mates, or is it something else?
I'm really trying to understand this...

I must say also I am really thinking that they'll be mixing things up again a bit in the next bunchs of work they put out...call me nutty but I feel like they have a couple kinds of ambitions for their work, and it is not exhausted by the style of the last 2 albums. Nor is it summed up in their stated desire to be out there and be big and be challenging JLo and britney and eminem and maroon5 on the top40 (that's a total anachronism term isn't it? I admit I haven't really consumed radio since the late 80s, but am trying to understand it a bit again...).

cheers all!

Last edited:
it's like 1991 all over again, when U2 made a formulamatic change to their music adding gimmics (beats/loops/etc) to keep up with the changing times. And even then, U2 couldn't really stand up to the true "great" bands of the day, like The Stone Roses or Happy Mondays. All the dressing of attitude and stage style was a diversion from the fact the songs sucked, and couldn't stand up w/o it.

They even took to MTV like never before. Edge and Adam hosting 120 minutes. AB album ads. Flashy videos. Playing songs w/ Garth. A Fox TV special. It wasn't about the music anymore, it was about the sell. The horror.

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Last edited:
Just another pop band eh?,

In that case we can expect them to be out of the music scene within 18 months to two years.

MrBrau1 said:
it's like 1991 all over again.

No it's not. Every U2 stylistic change gains some fans and loses some. If 'With Or Without You' and 'Mofo' were by two seperate bands, no reasonable person would expect someone to instantly be a fan of both bands. There are a great % of U2 fans however who loved them greatly in part simply because of those big stylistic changes. It's that quote again from the original review in this thread, they "CHALLENGED and embraced their fans". It has always been a big part of what U2 are. The point is, this isn't simply a stylistic change. It's at the core of what the music is.

Zoomerang96 said:

his feelings on pop are ridiculous. look at what he said about discoteque..."if it had been a number 1" it would have been different...that's all he cares about! what a joke.

lots o' harsh words there...but just to address this point you bring up...
I took his comments about Discotheque to be quite interesting. popped the song in my car playlist again and thought about that 'mood of the season' thing and clearly (to me) he's saying that the song *makes sense* as a big tune for that summer. It changes the meaning of the performance, of hearing the song, when you think of it as blaring out of everyone's stereos. It *becomes* the bubblegum he refers to, no? You're bopping along listening to the dancebeat thinking of hearing it in the club while you're cruising for the night's entertainment and this is it, it's the hot song of the moment and it's just bubblegum but you want it anyway cuz it's tasty. You yearn for something deeper, but fuck that's hard to achieve so you'll take this little ditty. I read his point as being that Discotheque doesn't work the way he wants it to as a niche single...it doesn't become what it needs to for the art to happen as he'd envisioned it.
I love Discotheque...it's brilliant. But I agree with him that the self-reflective quality of it, its postmodern mirrorball heart beating with that U2 desire for something more, is bigtime best served by being BIG.
So, I respectfully submit that you've misunderstood his point there...

cheers!

Last edited:
Ellay said:
Just another pop band eh?,

In that case we can expect them to be out of the music scene within 18 months to two years.

Yeah right. Like the Rolling Stones who haven't released anything decent in nearly 20 years, but still are the top touring act in whatever years they decide to go on the road.

Back
Top Bottom