MERGED-->Justin Hawkins- hates Bono’s egotistical ‘holier than thou’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doctorwho said:
But then, like Hawkins, is it really important that we care what you think?

It is to you, apparently, seeing as you read my post and responded to it.

And those couple of minutes - you'll never get them back.

Ah well.

:cool:

do you people just go looking for people that insult Bono?? :scratch:

anyway, The Darkness is overrated, his comments about Martin were a bit over the line, and I disagree with what he said about Bono, but I really don't care.

Whoever said they gained more respect for Bono by reading the RS article is damn right - he knows exactly how people perceive him and he knows he can be annoying at times but he sets all that aside for the greater good. I don't see how that's egotistical at all :shrug:

I'm not surprised Justin Hawkins wants Chris Martin to burn in hell. The Darkness are all about hell.

I say we start an ongoing thread called "Celebrity trashes Bono/U2" and we just add instances (real or imagined) of this happening so we can all go bitch and be shocked, SHOCKED!

Mofo said:

I got it from a Coldplay site... just found it amusing, as for your remarks of their album being better than HTDAAB I couldn't disagree more

I posted what I said initially quite a while ago, but I just want to call you on not seeming to pay any attention to what I actually wrote. Or, if you did, you at least missed my point about Atomic Bomb. I never said that Permission to Land was a better album...it was just more invigorating, to a degree.

The band, unlike the contemporary incarnation of U2, have a sense of humor about themselves, music, and "things" in general; I still find that sort of spirit enjoyable, personally.

You can have all the spirit you want, and the Darkness have technical ability as well, but their songs leave me cold ultimately; theres no real soul there, its all a bit shit really..the songs don't have lasting appeal and are just there as cheesy novelty things. As to Hawkins comments on Hewson, who cares? its of no consequence.

If you shout... said:

The band, unlike the contemporary incarnation of U2, have a sense of humor about themselves, music, and "things" in general; I still find that sort of spirit enjoyable, personally.

If it's any consolation, I completely agree with where you're coming from with the 'invigorating' remark, If you shout! :heterosexualmanhug: :wink:

And I haven't even listened to Permission To Land except for a couple of songs on the radio which aren't that great IMO.

:lmao: at shaun vox's post!

Lemonfix said:
I'm not surprised Justin Hawkins wants Chris Martin to burn in hell. The Darkness are all about hell.

I say we start an ongoing thread called "Celebrity trashes Bono/U2" and we just add instances (real or imagined) of this happening so we can all go bitch and be shocked, SHOCKED!

:bow:

Fuckin' hell some of you have lost your dictionaries again and have forgotten what the words: irony, sarcasm, humour (particularly the English kind) mean.

I'm sure Bono has a special place reserved in heaven for all those who defend his name.

And I like the Darkness, rock that doesn't take itself too seriously (UNLIKE some here) :rolleyes:

I'm all for sarcasm and irony, but Hawkins just comes off like a hateful jerk. He has no subtlety or wit. He also sounds completely uninformed if he thinks Bono visited the Pope merely to boost his own ego. Oh, and even though I'd be perfectly happy never to hear another note of music from Coldpay or read another word about them again for as long as I live, I think saying you wish Chris Martin would burn in hell is totally uncalled for.

As for Bono's little anecdotes about the Pope at concerts, didn't they mostly happen right after JP II died? I just thought it was his way of paying tribute to the man, not saying, "Oh, look how great I am, I met the Pope."

I like the Darkness and all, but his comment towards Chris Martin was just crossing the line. What a cruel thing to say.

and his thoughts about the both of them is just.. whatever. :shrug:
to each their own I suppose.

The Darkness are really great musicians but unfortunately they're like cartoon characters and the period of music they try to emulate (cheesy 70's and cheesy 80's) doesn't really help them to become taken seriously. They're like a novelty act to me.

id also like to say that justin hawkins is my new rock hero!!!
seriously i have poster of him on my wall!!

darknessxmas_01.jpg

justin is at the back, dan(his brother) is in the front!!
:rockon:

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
id also like to say that justin hawkins is my new rock hero!!!
seriously i have poster of him on my wall!!

darknessxmas_01.jpg

justin is at the back, dan(his brother) is in the front!!
:rockon:

Ah yes, the "reach around" technique to play with his brother's 12..............string...

Clark W. Griswold said:

Pretty ironic that the red banners above the stage contrasting with the dark background make it look like the red/black stripes on the Vertigo album cover.

what a useless point to make. i wouldn't mind if you'd named the album right :ohmy:

Clark W. Griswold said:

My point, however ill fated, was that after all the slagging of Bono done by this, err, artist, his stage set looks like the HTDAAB cover.

sorry you didn't get it.

This is really just a guess on my part, but I imagine that picture was taken long before "Vertigo" was even released as a single...and even when the song came out, the red/black scheme wasn't yet set in stone. Permission to Land was released and its accompanying tour was started in 2003. I mean, it doesn't matter...

Plenty of shit is both red and black. I somehow doubt, for example, that U2 were trying to rip off the Chicago Bulls when the color palette for How to Dismantle... was settled upon, you know? There's plenty of legitimate shit to critique Hawkins on, but I think this might be a little sillier than even he is.

Clark W. Griswold said:

Pretty ironic that the red banners above the stage contrasting with the dark background make it look like the red/black stripes on the Vertigo album cover.

Oh.. that's right! Just like The White Stripes stole U2's color scheme, went back in time and made the Seven Nation Army video and Elephant album cover!

:wink:

financeguy said:

It is not even REMOTELY to do with Bono being a Christian. And it's really quite unfair of you to attribute that motive to my comments. If, in the course of introducing a song, he decided to tell a rather self-indulgent anecdote about the time he met Jacques Chirac or the Dalai Lama or Frank Sinatra I would have had precisely the same reaction.

I'm done with this thread. Guys, you may now continue with your devotions at the temple of Bono, pausing from time to time to ritually disembowel Justin Hawkins.

signed,

Justin Hawkins's Mother

shaun vox said:
Justin hawkins:rockon: :rockon:

and the new darkness album will rock!!!:rockon: :rockon:

rock&roll has a new face and its called the darkness!! :rockon: :rockon:

Shaun you are always red hot or ice cold. You're FREEZING on this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom