MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Another Day

The Fly
Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

Look what that loudmouth moron Chris Martin had to say the other day:

" U2 can be beaten. For me it's no different from the film Rocky. You study your opponent. And I regard them as opponents." (from One Louder)

What a fucking wanker.

I can't believe some of you U2 fans actually like that overrated no-talent pencilneck imbecile.

Their music is complete crap.

Coldplay can't carry U2's jockstrap.

In 50 years' time, U2's powerful, soulful songs will still be played over and over again by new generations of fans, while Coldplay's laughable catalogue of boring piano rubbish will be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Last edited:
Damn right. Geez, Chris Martin, get a clue: the music business isn't a competition and U2 aren't anyone's opponents! If he's just going to focus on 'beating' U2 (how the hell do you beat a band anyway? especially when they have a legacy two decades longer than your own?), that's going to suck out and obliterate whatever genuine meaning is left in Coldplay's songs. It'll just make them trite, soulless shit manufactured to somehow be better than U2. Well, if there is a way U2 can be beaten, it's certainly not through manufactured garbage.

We all know Chris Martin thinks he's the second coming of Bono anyway and that Coldplay are URadio2Head-lite. :tsk:

Axver is correct, as usual.

Chris Martin thinks writing cool songs is some sort of "competition".

What a dick.

Go back to watching Pop Idol, fool.

Bono could beat your ass in any competition on the planet, singing, songwriting, performing, arm-wrestling, drinking, cussing, smoking, whatever.

Don't you DARE compare yourself to Bono, you conceited punk. Bono is the greatest rock 'n roll frontman in the history of music, you're just a wannabe pop star who can't sing and will be happily forgotten within the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Another Day said:
Axver is correct, as usual.

Chris Martin thinks writing cool songs is some sort of "competition".

What a dick.

Go back to watching Pop Idol, you fool.

Thank you. :)

And yep, Chris Martin clearly doesn't have the maturity or intelligence to handle the music industry - as far as I'm concerned, he can just piss off if he's going to be childish and act like it's some competition. The funny part is as much as he claims U2 are opponents, he's so influenced by them that I'm sure he's taking every move from the U2 Handbook. Except he's totally failing. Speed Of Sound sounds like Clocks lazing around the house doing nothing, and Fix You is the biggest pile of rubbish I've heard in a long time, demeaning the listener to the status of a toy in need of being fixed. U2 write heartfelt, unique songs; Coldplay attempt to rip off U2 and fail through their unoriginality and lack of talent.

Missed the edit. :wink:

Another Day said:
Don't you DARE compare yourself to Bono, you conceited punk. Bono is the greatest rock 'n roll frontman in the history of music, you're just a wannabe pop star who can't sing and will be happily forgotten within the next 5 years.

Spot on. He's misread the U2 Handbook here. In the early days, Bono said he believed U2 had the same special chemistry other great bands had and that he thought U2 would be big too.

Chris Martin's just prattling on rubbish about how he's going to 'beat' an 'opponent' when there's no way to beat an opponent that doesn't exist!

Everything Axver writes is the truth.

When I had the great displeasure of hearing that first Coldplay record, I thought it was a complete ripoff of The Jesus And Mary Chain's songs and guitar riffs.

The subsequent records were even worse.

I actually saw Coldplay in concert at the Fillmore in San Francisco a few years back, just to see what they were all about.

What a waste of money.

The fucking Dalton Brothers are better than that Coldplay crap, no joke.

You guys agree a lot, don't you? :wink:

I have a little question for you: Hasn't Bono also talked about being the BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD, and that nothing else will do in the past? Sounds a little competition-minded to me :hmm: Sorry if I disrupt your "conversation" :wink:

I don't get why fans of "the worlds biggest band" so frequently feel the need to bitch and whine about what other musicians say and do. I used to think that such fans would feel such confidence in their favorite band's skill and place in the rock world that they would not need to stoop to such pitifully childish rants.

But I guess not.

:eyebrow:

U2Man said:
You guys agree a lot, don't you? :wink:

I have a little question for you: Hasn't Bono also talked about being the BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD, and that nothing else will do in the past. Sounds a little competition-minded to me :hmm: Sorry if I disrupt your "conversation" :wink:

I don't think being the 'biggest' band in the world is necessarily a statement of "I'm going to beat You, You, and You". Bono's just trying to appeal to as many people and bring U2's music to the widest audience possible. Chris Martin, I think, is a bit jealous and would like a piece of that cake.

indra said:
I don't get why fans of "the worlds biggest band" so frequently feel the need to bitch and whine about what other musicians say and do. I used to think that such fans would feel such confidence in their favorite band's skill and place in the rock world that they would not need to stoop to such pitifully childish rants.

But I guess not.

:eyebrow:

Agree. But to be fair, some "the worlds not yet biggest bands" seem to add fuel to the fire too, like Chris Martin.

U2Man,

Uh, in case you haven't noticed....

U2 IS the biggest band in the world!

Why? Because they write the best songs and put on the best concerts, not because they "beat" their "opponents", like that Chris Martin asswipe wants to do.

Coldplay are just flash-in-the-pan poseurs trying to compare themselves to the big boys.

Give it up, Chris, go make more babies and give us a rest.

Axver said:

I don't think being the 'biggest' band in the world is necessarily a statement of "I'm going to beat You, You, and You". Bono's just trying to appeal to as many people and bring U2's music to the widest audience possible. Chris Martin, I think, is a bit jealous and would like a piece of that cake.

But if you were Mick Jagger, you'd might disagree :hmm:

Another Day said:
Everything Axver writes is the truth.

When I had the great displeasure of hearing that first Coldplay record, I thought it was a complete ripoff of The Jesus And Mary Chain's songs and guitar riffs.

The subsequent records were even worse.

I actually saw Coldplay in concert at the Fillmore in San Francisco a few years back, just to see what they were all about.

What a waste of money.

The fucking Dalton Brothers are better than that Coldplay crap, no joke.

I originally actually liked Coldplay ( :reject: ) and had high hopes for the future; I was looking forward to them developing their own sound and becoming distinct in a sea of shallow, inane, repetitive pop and rap.

What a misplaced hope that was! Instead of developing a sound, Coldplay have somehow regressed into even deeper depths of imitation! It's unbelieveable. You don't need to be a U2 or Radiohead fan to be able to hear the copying (for the record, I'm not a Radiohead fan). Chris Martin's just making himself and his band look even more shameful with every passing statement, song, and album.

And indra, why is it childish to criticise music and point out imitation?

U2Man said:

But if you were Mick Jagger, you'd might disagree :hmm:

The Rolling Stones haven't been the biggest band in the world for decades. Very few people care about their albums and their tours are more for nostalgia's sake than anything. They can still sell live concerts simply because of their former high-flying status.

Another Day said:
U2Man,

Uh, in case you haven't noticed....

U2 IS the biggest band in the world!

Another Day, you and I might think so - but please don't think this means that the entire rest of the world agree with us. They don't, I can say for sure.

Honestly, I think Chris Martin's comments are stupid and they made me mad too, initially. But then I began to think that it's just his kind of humour. Not very sophisticated, agree, but he is apparently thinking he is funny, and I'm sure he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Axver said:

The Rolling Stones haven't been the biggest band in the world for decades. Very few people care about their albums and their tours are more for nostalgia's sake than anything. They can still sell live concerts simply because of their former high-flying status.

Again, *your* opinion, but I'm sure some Rolling Stones fans in the 80's especially raised their eyebrows at this young Irish band with the front man who said he wanted to be in the biggest band in the world.

No one I know gives two shits about Chris Martin, but for some reason, he's constantly quoted in magazines and newspapers, popping off about how he's in a "competition" to be the biggest band on the planet.

Every time I read something about the guy, he's always making some idiotic comment like how he wants to crush U2.

He's delusional if he thinks his band is even CLOSE to being in U2's league.

U2's third album: "WAR" - SBS, NYD, Seconds, Two Hearts, Surrender, "40", etc.

1983 The War Tour - fucking epic. Watch "Under A Blood Red Sky" again, absolutely spellbinding.

Coldplay's third album: "X&Y" - nothing of note, just more recycled piano crap

2005 X&Y Tour - yawn. Attended by thousands of 14 year-old schoolgirls who chat on their cellphones throughout the show.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Again, *your* opinion, but I'm sure some Rolling Stones fans in the 80's especially raised their eyebrows at this young Irish band with the front man who said he wanted to be in the biggest band in the world.

Well, just look at the Stones' album sales after Tattoo You. The Police were certainly bigger than the Stones by Synchronicity, and then U2 came along and blew away everyone with the astonishing success of The Joshua Tree and accompanying tour.

Also, I don't remember Bono making any "we're the biggest band in the world" type claims around, say, War or UF (and while I don't know if he said it around JT, he wouldn't have been wrong then!), he just discussed how he felt U2 had the same chemistry that had made other bands great. I see no problem with that.

Last edited:
All this 'beating u2' talk makes me laugh, this guy is meant to love u2 ain't he, if he knew anything about them he'd know it isn't about beating anyone, but developing your own sound to touch people across the world. Fair enough Coldplay have released sucessful albums and have touched many people, but they've failed on the big one and that's defining your own original sound. Coldplay at times are to close to the bone in the sound they make compaired to mid-80's u2. How can they 'beat' u2 by trying to sound like them? it's a tribute band trying to over throw the band they cover.

I also saw Coldplay's performance at the VMA's, outwith how poor they sounded, what about Chris Martin, man that's guys stage moves just come right out of the Bono hand book.

Axver said:

Well, just look at the Stones' album sales after Tattoo You. The Police were certainly bigger than the Stones by Synchronicity, and then U2 came along and blew away everyone with the astonishing success of The Joshua Tree and accompanying tour.

Also, I don't remember Bono making any "we're the biggest band in the world" type claims around, say, War or UF (and while I don't know if he said it around JT, he wouldn't have been wrong then!), he just discussed how he felt U2 had the same chemistry that had made other bands great. I see no problem with that.

Bono certainly HAS made these kinds of claims, especially in the 90's.

And Axver, you were the one telling me yesterday that big album sales don't equal "greatness" :hmm:

Trying to compare Coldplay now versus U2 now is stupid. This is arguably Coldplays peak, U2 at their peak were light years ahead of Coldplay, and even now U2 are leaps and bounds ahead of them.

U2 are on the same level as The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen and Led Zeppelin. Oasis was really the only band that missed its opportunity to be considered great. Coldplay, while making likeable music are doing just that, making music which is likeable but forgettable.

Hahaha, you caught me, I was being generous. Their music puts me to sleep:)

U2Man said:

Bono certainly HAS made these kinds of claims, especially in the 90's.

And Axver, you were the one telling me yesterday that big album sales don't equal "greatness" :hmm:

He never made the claim when U2 were NOT the biggest band, though, to the best of my recollection.

Yesterday's discussion regarded quality of music. Here we're just talking about being the biggest - well, actually, we're talking about Coldplay 'beating' U2, and considering U2's status, 'beaitng' them essentially makes one the BIGGEST band in the world. Doesn't necessarily make you the greatest or the best, though.

Re: Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

Another Day said:
"U2 can be beaten. For me it's no different from the film Rocky.
I think I might be getting confused, but didn't Rocky lose? Or at least get beaten up REALLY bad?

If that's the case, I think Chris is making a lot of sense. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom